Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

Milne may be boring but if he can hold on to the ball that’s important. I don’t like holding my breathe every time there is a kick.

For example Steven Simms. Was always an adventure.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Yeah true. But starting from our own 5-10 yard line isn't something to defend either.

HTTR!

Maybe we need to give Milne a little more rope since he's just now headed into his 2nd season? We could have the next Cooper Kupp in our locker room!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

Looks like Jabril Cox is going to be available. I think the knock on him is not being able to shed blocks...but considering what we have at LB, might be worth a look.

Also get to potentially poach someone from Dallas, which is nice. 

If this team didn't hate linebackers, would almost seem like a no-brainer. He tore his ACL in his rookie year and probably was never quite 100% last year. But he should be fully back to health and many do the LBs suck on this team

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what happens with guys like Mathis, Hodges, Scott and maybe even Tinsley over the next week or so as they flex the roster to find spots for claims or signings. 

I think Mathis is almost a guarantee to start the season on IR. Hodges likely is the first cut candidate for them to try to move folks around, especially given Mayhew’s pointed comment about how they currently have 4 tight ends. 

I’m also curious about Armah and the PS squad. You’re allowed to keep guys on the PS but let them play in up to 3 games before you have to actually sign them onto the active roster for a fourth game. So I wonder if they’ll use him for games here and there according to opponents until other injuries occur and the math works out to bring him up full time. 

I also think Scott stays unless they find a fourth tackle they like more - I don’t think they cut him to make room for a different position. 

I’m glad we found a way to keep Tinsley on the initial but 7 receivers is such a luxury, especially one that isn’t currently an asset on ST. So while he’s fairly far down the list of bubble guys imo, he’s not entirely safe. 

Use of short term IR will be interesting as well. You can designate up to 8 guys to return from IR. Assuming Mathis is one, I’m not sure they’re going to IR anyone else (one at the most) with that designation to start the season as it could hamper them down the line. But eight is a lot and here’s to praying we don’t use many. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

I read that way too late at night. Yes, if it bounces off the shoulder pad and into the end zone then it would be considered a touchdown if the punting team recovers as neither team is considered in possession. If the return team falls on it its a touchback.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Is it true that Patterson didn't want to go to the PS and asked for an early release?

I forget if it was Keim or Hoffman last night that said Patterson was getting tired of being on the bubble the past 3 years and saw the writing on the wall when we drafted a running back and signed Gore. Not sure if that was speculation or what he heard. Patterson was looking for a fresh start. Again, not sure if that was what he heard or was his own speculation. Also heard that he was asked to play CB during some practices to fill in.

I liked Patterson, seemed like an all around good player and guy to have in the locker room. Numbers.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I hate losing Patterson too however no matter which RBs we cut, they would get picked up by someone else because they're just good, our issue was we had lots of them.  

I trust we made the best moves with the roster but am interested to see who we add on waivers.  Out of everyone I've seen the one that would have an immediate impact is Jabril Cox.  David Mayo had a decent preseason but we all know his ceiling and what he is incapable of.  His writing is on the wall IMO.

14 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I didn't pay much attention to the preseason. So Barton struggled?  That is not good news if it continues as he was a big gamble.  I just can't see how you can have a good defense with crappy linebackers, even in today's game.  

Yeah a few beat guys referenced it.  Even Bram who is the most optimistic about this team among the beat guys said LB wasn't a concern for him before camp but it is a concern of his now.