Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:34 AM, samy316 said:

We haven't shut out an opponent since 1991.  If there was ever a time to break that streak, this would be it.  If we can't shut out the Cardinals, that streak might go on for another 32 years, hahaha.

It's pathetic. They shut out 3 teams that year and zilch the next 32 years and counting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

It's pathetic. They shut out 3 teams that year and zilch the next 32 years and counting. 

It’s extremely hard to shut out an opponent in today’s NFL.  With the way offenses are set up, and the rules favoring offense, shutouts are getting rarer and rarer.  Hell, not getting to 10 points today sounds pathetic.  A shutout has to have several events happening to make it happen, like a historically bad team/offense, or the defense for the other team has to be otherworldly.

• Like 4

This is the start of the new era and the last dance for Riverboat Ron and the Hews.

It feels like Harris will watch closely and mostly observe, but for how long?  He doesn't strike me as a 'wait and see' guy. My guess would be that they'll be collecting a lot of data on the system that's in place and the performance indicators for all staff. Next year will be a complete overhaul, retaining the best in the system, and upgrading past mediocrity. RR & Co would need a miracle season to be here in 2024.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 4:19 PM, samy316 said:

It’s extremely hard to shut out an opponent in today’s NFL.  With the way offenses are set up, and the rules favoring offense, shutouts are getting rarer and rarer.  Hell, not getting to 10 points today sounds pathetic.  A shutout has to have several events happening to make it happen, like a historically bad team/offense, or the defense for the other team has to be otherworldly.

We’ve been shutout 9 times since we got our last shutout.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, TheShredder said:

This is the start of the new era and the last dance for Riverboat Ron and the Hews.

It feels like Harris will watch closely and mostly observe, but for how long?  He doesn't strike me as a 'wait and see' guy. My guess would be that they'll be collecting a lot of data on the system that's in place and the performance indicators for all staff. Next year will be a complete overhaul, retaining the best in the system, and upgrading past mediocrity. RR & Co would need a miracle season to be here in 2024.

It's definitely not going to be a smooth transition either way, simply because of all of the puzzle pieces that interconnect. JDR came here in part due to Ron, and our D coordinator has done a fine job. So if Ron leaves, will JDR follow?  If so, will the new GM think that he has a DC in his pocket capable of filling  his shoes? Will Bienemy stay if not offered the HC job? If not, does the new GM think good OCs are just hanging around waiting for the phone to ring?

Josh will have to decide if he wants a team that may be several years in transitioning, failing at new faces and succeeding at others, and be willing to wait until all of the pieces gel. Sometimes that takes decades, sometimes just a few seasons.  For that reason, I think the ONLY change Josh should consider making is the hiring of a true visionary GM and sweet talking Ron into allowing him to just do what he does best. Then let the GM make the necessary hard decisions as contracts come up for renewal. Change can be good, but not all change is. By no means am I suggesting that we should just coast with the organization and just hope for the best, but I am suggesting that few sound decisions are made rashly. Keep the good, replace the bad, and empty the bathwater through a collander just to make sure there's still a baby.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

It's definitely not going to be a smooth transition either way, simply because of all of the puzzle pieces that interconnect. JDR came here in part due to Ron, and our D coordinator has done a fine job. So if Ron leaves, will JDR follow?  If so, will the new GM think that he has a DC in his pocket capable of filling  his shoes? Will Bienemy stay if not offered the HC job? If not, does the new GM think good OCs are just hanging around waiting for the phone to ring?

Josh will have to decide if he wants a team that may be several years in transitioning, failing at new faces and succeeding at others, and be willing to wait until all of the pieces gel. Sometimes that takes decades, sometimes just a few seasons.  For that reason, I think the ONLY change Josh should consider making is the hiring of a true visionary GM and sweet talking Ron into allowing him to just do what he does best. Then let the GM make the necessary hard decisions as contracts come up for renewal. Change can be good, but not all change is. By no means am I suggesting that we should just coast with the organization and just hope for the best, but I am suggesting that few sound decisions are made rashly. Keep the good, replace the bad, and empty the bathwater through a collander just to make sure there's still a baby.

If Ron agrees to relinquish the Gm role and let’s Josh hire a real Gm; then that Gm will decide on the future of the coaching position.

Time will tell how Josh does.  As I’ve mentioned before, some of the recent owners the past decade haven’t had a great success rate.  Only the Bills under McDermott have had some sustained success and the Bills maybe be getting past their window.

On 9/2/2023 at 2:19 PM, samy316 said:

We talkin about shutouts?!?  Shutouts?

We should aim to have our points minus their points to be greater than zero.

we talkin' about practice on Make a GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoSkins1976 said:

I'm curious to see if Harris, Magic and the group will be out and about mingling with fans on opening day. A full stadium of rabid fans might present a tough challenge for them to get around but it would be cool to see them out tailgating and such

That would be cool but at least they'll be mingling in the stadium for sure as want to keep those ticket sellouts coming.

A short to-do list for Commanders owner Josh Harris

Perspective by Barry Svrluga

1. Be willing to listen, learn — and articulate specifics

Snyder’s arrogance and tone-deafness were apparent early in his tenure. Charging fans $10 to attend training camp and $10 to park when those experiences were free across the league gave the feeling that the owner was trying to bilk the fans out of every penny and set an early tenor of mistrust.

Simply by not being Snyder, Harris has some level of trust. But he could further that by committing to hearing fans out on what they like and don’t like about … well, anything about the franchise. That could be on uniforms or parking. It could be on concessions or concerts. One thing it can’t be on: football.

This should be easy, but it can’t be left unsaid: Given that Snyder began picking players early in his tenure (Jeff George, Bruce Smith, etc.) and never really stopped (Donovan McNabb, Dwayne Haskins, etc.), Harris needs to say he will leave the football decisions to the football people. And he must carry that out in practice.

This franchise has seemed directionless for most of this century. The new leader would do well to explain how he’ll do things, then melt into the background.

2. Get a stadium deal done

Snyder didn’t build FedEx Field, but his reign of error is closely associated with it. It stinks, and everyone knows it.

So this is obvious. The three most important elements holding this franchise back, for years, have been the nefarious owner, the baked-in uncertainty at quarterback and the awful stadium. Harris has solved the ownership problem, and point No. 1 clearly articulates we want him nowhere near the quarterback decision. But the stadium has to be a priority.

In this process, he should present himself as a partner with the jurisdiction he ultimately chooses. That means not only developing a facility that ranks among the best in the sport, but making sure he’s not just going to go with whichever among the District, Maryland and Virginia he can most readily fleece. Committing his own funds would reinforce the idea that he’s doing this with and for the community, not merely to make money off it.

3. Invest in the fan experience

This is most obvious at FedEx Field, because that is the source of so much ire and so many bad memories. But it’s a problem that is more all-encompassing, one that should be dealt with swiftly and directly.

Start with the stadium. If there haven’t been inspectors in there every day between the last preseason game and Sunday’s opener against Arizona, then something’s wrong. What are the chances a pipe could burst and flood fans with sewer water? The answer has to be: zero. What percentage of the beers meet their freshness date? The answer has to be: 100. For this franchise, eliminating obvious embarrassments would mean progress.

But more than that, Harris should be creative. Would knocking $5 to $10 off parking materially limit the franchise’s revenue? Probably not. Would it be noticed by the fan base? Absolutely. It’s a one-mile walk from the Morgan Boulevard Metro stop to the nearest gate at FedEx. Could there be free, prompt and efficient shuttles?

What does outreach into the community away from the stadium look like? Snyder suffered from his reluctance to speak publicly and his stumbling when he did. Harris could earn loyalty by explaining that he understands what the fan base has endured not just in the win-loss record, but off the field — and that he will fix it.

4. Hire someone to oversee all football decisions

Ron Rivera will determine his own fate as head coach: Either the 2023 season will be a success — making the playoffs and maybe even winning a game — or it won’t be. The coach will either earn a contract extension or will be shown the door with a year left on his original deal.

But even if Rivera impresses his new boss to the extent he sticks around — not a bet I’d be taking to Vegas — the structure of the football operation has to change. Snyder decided he liked a “coach-centric” model because he thought it worked in New England and Kansas City. He plucked Rivera as a veteran coach who happened to be available, then wedged him into a personnel role that he had never performed. Weird process. No wonder it has led to (thus far) decidedly mediocre results.

That has to change. Even if Rivera is overseeing game-planning and the locker room, he can no longer have final say on the roster. That has to go to a progressive, modern football professional who doesn’t have to worry about assistant coaches and offensive schemes. The current model, which includes General Manager Martin Mayhew and executive vice president Marty Hurney, has not yet been a success. This will remain a collaborative process, of course. But it needs a singular voice on top — who isn’t the head coach.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

He's done 3 out of those 4. He famously said "It's not my team, it's the city's team". He is taking in a lot of input and making a lot of changes to the FedEx experience.

And then people from Philly complain that Harris is a bad owner for the Sixers lol. They'll complain about anything.

18 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If Ron agrees to relinquish the Gm role and let’s Josh hire a real Gm; then that Gm will decide on the future of the coaching position.

Time will tell how Josh does.  As I’ve mentioned before, some of the recent owners the past decade haven’t had a great success rate.  Only the Bills under McDermott have had some sustained success and the Bills maybe be getting past their window.

Ron isnt listed as GM anymore on the site lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Ron isnt listed as GM anymore on the site lol

He never was.  Kyle Smith was listed as whatever his role was, Sr. Director of Personnel, or whatever, and Rob Rodgers had his VP of Football Administrations (or whatever) and then when Mayhew was hired, he was listed as GM.

Ron has contractual control over football operations, or at least that's what has been reported. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

So, this is why I have dubbed your posts "RonBot."  Because you keep posting the same thing over and over, often at random and in every thread.  I'll grant you, the algorithm seems to have hit the right thread this time.  

But here's the deal: what you said CAN'T happen.  At least not in the real world.  Here are the options that can happen:

1. Ron is fired.  Most likely because the record wasn't good enough, and Harris wants to make a whole-scale change in the entire football operations.  

2. Ron is extended with the same contractual control he has now, head of football operations.  Obviously, this would be because they team won 11-12 games and probably a playoff game or two, in which case there's no way any owner is going to upset that apple cart.  Now, is there a conversation about changing some of the FO responsibilities, and are there changes?  Maybe Mayhew is replaced, or something?  Possibly.  But they would still report to Ron and Ron would probably be the one deciding or approving the hire.  

3. Ron is extended but with a revised contract which removes the full football operations control, and he becomes the Head Coach, and works with/for a new GM.  However, there is LITERALLY NO WAY he signs an extension without knowing who he's working for.  AND he's not letting Josh hire a GM to decide his fate without knowing his fate first.  He would force Josh to fire him first.  And if they just won 10 games and made the playoffs, Ron has a lot of negotiating power.  I actually think he WOULD be willing to work with another GM, either as peers or for somebody he respects.

4. This is an option that WON'T happen: Do Nothing.  Let Ron stay under his current contract which gives him roster control.  In this case, you've given your HC/GM  a projected $80m of cap space and another draft to shape the roster when he doesn't know how long he's going to coach the team.  You would open yourself up for some massive overpayments, short term fixes, bad draft trades, etc.  Why not mortgage the future if you don't know if you're part of it?  It MIGHT be ok if Ron was just the HC.  But with personnel power?  Can't have it.   You just can't have it.  Whoever is going to be the coach/GM under contract for at least 3-4 years after will be making those decisions.  I guess there is a SLIGHT (I think approaching zero, but possible) Ron agrees to stay on as HC for one more year and they bring in a new GM.  I don't see it.  If that does happen, I think we'd point to the reporting being wrong, Ron didn't have contractual roster control.  

But there is absolutely no way he's going to let Josh hire a GM to decide his fate, because as of now, he holds contractual full responsibility of football ops.  Why would he give up the authority to just find out if he's going to be fired by somebody else?  He wouldn't.  He would say to Josh, "Let's come up with guy we can both work with together or fire me."  And then Josh will have to make a decision.  

If the season plays out the way I have predicted, 10-7, playoff appearance, and probably a quick (but competitive) exit, I think #3 is the most likely scenario.  I think Josh will want to keep Ron around.  The players like him and he's really respected in the league.  But I also think Josh will want a different voice in the personnel department.  And I think Ron would be willing to do that to get an extension.  Mayhew is the odd man out there, but I'm pretty sure Ron could live with that.  

If they win 8 or less games, unless it is some late season spectacular run of games because Howell just "got it" mid-season, then I can't see another scenario where Ron is back, and there is probably a new GM who hires a coach.

If they win 11+ games, they still might swap out the GM because Josh wants to, but I think Ron would continue to keep full control over football operations.  Which would be hard to argue if the team just came off an 11+ win playoff season.  

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

I don't know why everyone keeps saying Ron is the GM. Martin Mayhew has been the GM since 2021. Yes, I know RR ultimately makes personnel decisions but the title of GM is Mayhews.

Ron's title is Head Coach.  

In actuality, he's President of Football Operations.  Which is the title Gibbs had when he was also HC here under Dan, I believe.  Technically, Vinny worked for Joe.  Though, as we all know, Vinny worked for Dan and both Dan and Vinny were idiots.  

Ron is the final decision maker of everything football related.  

Just saw this...any idea why He Who Must Not Be Named wouldn't approve these promotions in the past? And I thought HWMNBN gave Rivera total control over his coaching staff! Just too cheap?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10088329-commanders-coaching-promotions-made-by-ron-rivera-previously-denied-by-dan-snyder

The Washington Commanders have promoted several coaches entering the 2023 season after the franchise's old ownership "would not greenlight" them in the past, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The following coaches were promoted by head coach Ron Rivera, who made it a priority to elevate them once the group led by Josh Harris purchased the Commanders from Dan Snyder for a record $6.05 billion in July:

• Juan Castillo elevated to run game coordinator. 
  • Randy Jordan elevated to senior offensive assistant/running backs coach.
  • Travelle Wharton elevated to offensive line coach.
  • Todd Storm elevated to tight ends coach.
Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Just saw this...any idea why He Who Must Not Be Named wouldn't approve these promotions in the past? And I thought HWMNBN gave Rivera total control over his coaching staff! Just too cheap?

It's my guess that the previous owner was just cheap and did not want to pay coaches more money that would come with a promotion. The previous owner needed to fund his lifestyle and did not spend a penny more than needed on this once proud franchise.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ron is the final decision maker of everything football related. 

That is what must change.

He's not that guy and his combo of failures at coaching and failures at personnel/draft/FA is an indictment towards his release. I do think he retires at the end of the year and fired if it gets ugly early.

Harris doesn't have to ask anyone to restructure the management. I'd imagine they already have a plan to evaluate and not intervene into much, if not simply to see what works and what doesn't. They'll use the info to offer promotions, and upgrade talent across the board. I don't see Jason Wright, any of the Hews, or RR in any FO Management after this year. Football Ops could very well roll EB into the HC slot and JDR might stick around with EB, but EB knows some guys too. Look, this team has been the bottom of the league for decades, ****s about to change with Snyder gone. WSH already won 2023.

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 1

I see it a different way if the season goes south.  According to reports, Harris plugs in a strong FO guy (his guy) and lets that guy roll with the team decisions but also seems to likes big name coaches.  If it was true about him pursuing S.Peyton, I could see him also trying to grab another big name.  Wouldn't surprise me if that list included guys like Sean McVay (did consider retirement this year) or Belichick whose on the hotseat.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/15/sean-mcvay-returning-rams-prepare-future

It seems inevitable that a coach speaking openly about burnout and work-life balance will walk away at some point. Los Angeles should be prepared for whenever that day comes.

From Curran's report -

NBC Sports Boston’s Patriots Insider Tom Curran tells Rich Eisen that Bill Belichick is firmly on the hot seat and likely coaching for his job next season.

On 9/3/2023 at 5:55 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I feel like Ron might be planning to retire at the end of this season irregardless.

I think it will depend on the record and the trajectory. If Sam shows continued development and we win 10+ games I think he will be motivated to stay around and finish off the building job. 

If we hit on Sam (if!) then really addressing the O’line and backer puts us in a strong situation to be truly competitive. This assumes we sort out what we are doing with Young and Sweat (I think we end up keeping one, likely Sweat).

If things are mediocre and we win 7 or 8 wins and Sam is up and down and it’s clear Josh is going to move on in a different direction - then I think Ron will very likely retire rather than being fired. 

20 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I see it a different way if the season goes south.  According to reports, Harris plugs in a strong FO guy (his guy) and lets that guy roll with the team decisions but also seems to likes big name coaches.  If it was true about him pursuing S.Peyton, I could see him also trying to grab another big name.  Wouldn't surprise me if that list included guys like Sean McVay (did consider retirement this year) or Belichick whose on the hotseat.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/15/sean-mcvay-returning-rams-prepare-future

It seems inevitable that a coach speaking openly about burnout and work-life balance will walk away at some point. Los Angeles should be prepared for whenever that day comes.

From Curran's report -

NBC Sports Boston’s Patriots Insider Tom Curran tells Rich Eisen that Bill Belichick is firmly on the hot seat and likely coaching for his job next season.

Considering Sean Mcvay has thought about retiring last 2 years; he could leave Rams after another down year. I think he’d  go to tv for a while ; before returning to football.  

Bill gets the boot from Pats; I’m sure some desperate team will hire him but doubtful he would have any success.

If we are looking for a new head coach in 24 and decide that EB isn’t Ron’s replacement; we go after the hot oc, preferably young.

• Like 1