Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

9 hours ago, samy316 said:

We see it.  Until it happens, why would we expect anything different? It’s not in Ron’s MO to have a fast start.  This goes back to the Jay Gruden days as well.  We just don’t get off to fast starts around here at all.  I don’t see it changing this year either.  I’d love to be wrong, but given past history, I’m probably going to be right.

I do think it ends up a typical Ron season -- 8-9.  But I think the ride to get there is different.  Looking at the schedule it favors them early.  The later part of the schedule on the other hand is brutal.  Especially as to D line-O line matchups.  But will see.

To me the Denver game feels like the linchpin.  If they are going to have a surprisingly good year, IMO they can't lose that one unless they beat the Bills the week after.  Because if they lose that one, good chance they start 1-3. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

“We appreciate the fans coming out but we have to be a better football team” were the first words out of Rivera’s mouth. He couldn’t wait to say it, and he repeated it several times. “We have to protect the ball better … we have to make better decisions … we can’t beat ourselves.”

Remember, this was the new and improved Eric Bieniemy offense that managed to gain just 248 yards of total offense against a team that appeared to be tanking for USC quarterback Caleb Williams and the No. 1 pick in 2024 before it even began the season by cutting veteran quarterback Colt McCoy in training camp.

The Cardinals had a new coach — former Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon — and they looked like the better-prepared team. 

“We have a lot of growing to do,” Rivera said. “We have to do things better.”

This is Rivera’s fourth season as head coach.

All of this is background noise, though. In the big scheme of things, Sunday’s outcome meant little when compared to the enormity of the change of ownership. Winning was better than losing, a fitting ending to a day of celebration. 

But new players can be drafted, free agents signed, coaches fired and hired and front offices changed. NFL teams do it every year. Forcing out a hateful, despicable owner who seemed destined to continue to wreck the dreams and hopes of a damaged fan base — that is like a supernova.

That’s the real victory. Game ball indeed for Josh Harris. Game balls for everyone.    

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/sep/10/dan-snyder-absence-guaranteed-good-day-fans-win-wa/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Didn't see this posted about Our Former Owner Who Must Not Be Named, but it clearly shows another reason why this team couldn't win under him because he took everything personally...kudos to Jay Gruden for revealing it:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-dan-snyder-had-petty-054542157.html

Last week, Mike Shanahan revealed that the 49ers offered Washington the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft in a trade for quarterback Kirk Cousins.

The reason? According to former Washington head coach Jay Gruden, it came down to the soured relationship between former team owner Dan Snyder and the Shanahans.

"They [Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen] didn't like the Shanahan's and they didn't want to give Kirk to them," Gruden said in a recent appearance on 106.7 The Fan.

Gruden then confirmed the elder Shanahan's statements about the 49ers' efforts to land Cousins in the spring of 2017.

"I won't say who contacted me, but I was contacted by someone over there who told me they were very interested," Gruden said. "He was getting ready to go on his second franchise tag, and I know they wanted him. The Shanahans love Kirk, and he loves them, and I don't blame them; they brought him in here and taught him some good ball, and we were fortunate to keep Kirk and work with him."

Washington drafted Cousins in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft when Mike and Kyle were the head coach and offensive coordinator, respectively.

Based on the market value for quarterbacks of Cousins' caliber, Gruden is confident that Washington could have gotten the No. 2 overall pick and then some from San Francisco.

"They would've given up way more than that (pick) – you're talking about a $150 million quarterback, you're going to get two ones and a player, or two ones and a two," Gruden added. "You look at all the teams that are struggling, what don't they have? He had opportunities to go to San Francisco, the Jets, Minnesota – we could've traded him and made our team better, instead, we got a compensatory third-round pick…it makes no sense."

After having Cousins become the first quarterback in NFL history to be franchise-tagged in consecutive years, Washington let him walk following the 2017 season.

Cousins then signed with the Minnesota Vikings as a free agent before the 2018 season, returning just a compensatory third-round pick to Washington less than a year after not accepting the offer from the 49ers.

"It's a shame," Gruden said. "We had such a hot commodity, a young, talented player with a bright future ahead of him, and we got nothing for him. That's the worst decision we made as a franchise. A conditional third-rounder? The way to handle that is to maximize your return."

Since leaving Washington, Cousins has thrown for 21,642 yards and 159 touchdowns while being named to three Pro Bowls.

After the 49ers failed to land Cousins, they eventually struck a deal with the New England Patriots just prior to the 2017 trade deadline that sent quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to the Bay in exchange for a second-round pick.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The 2-5 picks in that draft were underwhelming. Perhaps they flip it to Chicago and collect two thirds and a fourth.

Obviously you make that trade, but there were a lot of misses at the top of that draft.

We would have had to take a QB. Most likely either Trebisky or Watson. No chance this team had any idea about Mahomes.

Jesus, could you imagine Watson with all of his misconduct and pairing him with OUR organization?

It’s cathartic to have more explicit details of the dirt we knew about revealed, but for me I don’t hold any regrets about how things went down now. It all led to Snyder being gone, so football-wise I wouldn’t change a thing. We have discovered we’re in the best timeline with no Snyder, I can finally let things like the Cousin non-trade etc. go with peace and clarity. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Remember the previous guy could’ve trade his head coach, Norv to Dallas. He chose not to. The following year Raiders traded Gruden for picks and cash, I think.

Those misses won’t happen once Josh has his people in place.

Yeah, they make still make a mistake but nothing like the idiocy under the former guy.

Harris needs to start checking these game balls for fine print! “The recipient of this game ball, upon acceptance and a handshake, agrees to continue to employ the giver of said game ball for a period of time not less than three calendar years” 

• Haha 8

Not great.  Seriously, if you were picked to throw out a first pitch, wouldn’t you be down in the cage pregame practicing? Get some warm up throws in from pitching distance so you don’t look like a total doofus in front of thousands of baseball fans.

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Not great.  Seriously, if you were picked to throw out a first pitch, wouldn’t you be down in the cage pregame practicing? Get some warm up throws in from pitching distance so you don’t look like a total doofus in front of thousands of baseball fans.

I think you haven’t seen many first pitches if you think that was bad. They are often much worse than that even when pro athletes from other sports do it lol

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Conn said:

I think you haven’t seen many first pitches if you think that was bad. They are often much worse than that even when pro athletes from other sports do it lol

I’ve seen lots of first pitches. And yeah, many are bad - really bad.  50 Cent, former DC mayor Anthony Williams are two all-time Epic Awful pitches for example. 

I called Josh’s “not great.”  And it wasn’t. It was a pop fly. 

George W. Bush had a great first pitch at Yankee Stadium before the first game played after 9/11.  He knew the symbolic enormity of the moment - getting America back to some semblance of normality.  He knew the whole country - the whole world - would be watching.   So he went to the cages pregame and practiced. He wasn’t going to **** it up in front of millions.

But I’m a huge Josh Harris fan, so I’ll award him a solid C Plus for lobbing it over the plate.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1