Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's good they are playing the Cards this Sunday.  I can't recall the last time i felt a win was inevitable like this game.  So its good timing.  Hopefully they are this level hyped for a tough game like Buffalo in week 3

As long as we win I don't think there will be much of a dropoff.

Until we start stacking losses the fan base should remain this healthy, so the start of the season should be pretty good for us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe you sent them wedding presents?   Among a slew of other fans after RG3 asked before the wedding, sharing the registry, etc.  It's easy to remember in that context?

image.gif.d41a73727c848a3d4cfc13e324cac2e7.gif

I think I just found her name amusing and at the time Griffin seemed massively in love with her which is why I started to refer to him as “the future Mr. Liddicoat” before they got married.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Until we start stacking losses the fan base should remain this healthy, so the start of the season should be pretty good for us.

I disagree with this narrative that there is a “window” to keep the fans excited and that “window” is primarily based on wins and losses.

I believe most fans lost their excitement due to the fact that Snyder was a disgusting pile, and he made everything about this organization (the team/stadium/FO) difficult to root for.

I expect sellouts of every home game this season no matter what happens on the field.

Of course, there are varying degrees of excitement. But I think people acting as if we go 5-12, that FedEx will turn back into a ghost town/rival takeover party will be mistaken.

Those days are over. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I disagree with this narrative that there is a “window” to keep the fans excited and that “window” is primarily based on wins and losses.

I believe most fans lost their excitement due to the fact that Snyder was a disgusting pile, and he made everything about this organization (the team/stadium/FO) difficult to root for.

I expect sellouts of every home game this season no matter what happens on the field.

Of course, there are varying degrees of excitement. But I think people acting as if we go 5-12, that FedEx will turn back into a ghost town/rival takeover party will be mistaken.

Those days are over. 

I think the honeymoon period will last a few weeks if we lose this Sunday, conversely, it could last all season should we win big.  I think the excitement should last through most of the season, provided that the team is competitive every game, and that they don’t get embarrassed by the good teams on their home schedule.  If we look like last year’s team, where we get off to a slow start, and look incompetent for 60% of the game on offense, that excitement might not last very long.  Remember, Fed-Ex Field is the worst stadium in the NFL, and an absolute pain to get in and out of.  Most of the new fans coming back after the ownership change will tolerate those trips to Landover, as long as the team is winning or at least competitive.  We can’t look like we did at home against the Eagles or the Browns, or those fans might not make the trek to Fed-Ex late in the season if we’re out of it by Thanksgiving.

Edited by samy316

I watched the full Magic press conference at the Boys and Girls Club on youtube.  He said in the mix that Harris has already given the players everything they requested, spending millions.

Keim's latest podcast.  The Harris ownership group couldn't be more different than Dan's regime.  they are attentive to players needs and even though they are billionaries they come off like any other normal dude.  They don't put on airs, etc.

He said during the process of the ownership quest, Keim communicated to some of the interested players and was impressed with the Harris group the most and thought this is who this team needs.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Those days are over. 

This is a tough call.  those who cover the team do think the fan enthusiasm will wane if the season isn't hot.  But clearly we won't know until we know.

I think Howell flashing will likely be a big X factor.  If he does flash, I think fans can endure a mediocre season if that's what goes down. 

I think another 8-9 ride where we aren't sure about the QB would be a tough ride to sustain fan enthusiasm,

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think another 8-9 ride where we aren't sure about the QB would be a tough ride to sustain fan enthusiasm,

This is a logical take. I just think this is the start of a great relationship between Harris and the fanbase.

I’m betting that the fans will see Harris doing his part (they already are), and they will wanna do their part. Which is to show up every Sunday and support this team. 

I also think people are underestimating the amount of hatred for Dan Snyder that exists. People will show up in droves just to spite him. And I don’t think that will wane over the course of one season. 

• Like 3

I could see fan interest falling off a bit, depending on how the season unfolds, but I think seeing the development of young guys (Howell being the most crucial, but also Dotson, Forbes, Turner, Rodriguez, Forrest, etc.), and then the hiring of a well regarded GM, followed by an up-and-coming coach, plus having money to spend in FA (including the increased attractiveness of the team) followed by the draft… I don’t think the excitement will go away.  May have some peaks and troughs, but I’d guess fans are here to stay.

15 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This is a logical take. I just think this is the start of a great relationship between Harris and the fanbase.

I’m betting that the fans will see Harris doing his part (they already are), and they will wanna do their part. Which is to show up every Sunday and support this team. 

I also think people are underestimating the amount of hatred for Dan Snyder that exists. People will show up in droves just to spite him. And I don’t think that will wane over the course of one season. 

Probably.  It could also be somewhere in between where they hold some of the people who came back and temporarily lose interest from others.  Either way, i think after the next off season they will hold it going forward.

if they don't win I think they hold it for at least the first half of the season because there is still time left in the season.  Or if Howell looks good, that alone gives hope.  Otherwise the excitement would likely be built around moving on from this regime and what do they have cooking next?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I disagree. If we start out slow as usual, that enthusiasm will vanish. Same old Redskins/Commanders.  Mediocre play won’t bring fans out, especially if we are far out of the playoff chase. Attendance will drop off and it will be like usual, except for Dallas home game. Fans will tune out until the change happens in the offseason.

Josh will have honeymoon. For this season though, fans will leave if we are losing and are out of it. For the future, the honeymoon will resume after the changes but if Josh doesn’t field a consistent winner; that honeymoon will end. No there won’t be that hatred like towards the previous idiot but if Josh doesn’t field a consistent winner; fans won’t be supporting a loser. 

The timing is right though to become one of the elite teams. The nfc doesn’t have many elite teams, unlike what is a logjam in the afc.  So, Josh can take us back to those glory Gibbs 1 years. If he can’t do that, then he won’t reap the rewards.

The enthusiasm of an ownership change can only go so far; it’s building a consistent winning team that will drive things. If we’re just a mediocre or losing team; those fans won’t stay.

One thing we are seeing, we actually have real fans owning the team.

I firmly believed the previous guy was never really a fan of the team. He was just a fan of owning an actual nfl team. Look at me, I’m the big guy in town because I own the Redskins.

What Josh and co. Will be doing over the upcoming years will show just how much of fans they really are. We’ll be among the best. Players will want to come here. We’ll be among the top organizations and have the some of the best gms/coaches.

The game day experience will be amazing and our new stadium will be among the best. Also, the past players will be treated with respect and won’t be used as props.

• Like 3

I think fans will love it if we have a great season but if it's mediocre, they realize that Josh hasn't had enough time yet to do anything yet which really impacts the team's performance. While he seems very impatient to make changes *quickly* in order to restore the organization's old glory (as evidenced by the $40 mil spent on FEDEX field already), He doesn't seem to me to be someone who will make abrubt personnel changes in the middle of the season (i.e. fire Ron) if things aren't going well, I am very interested in seeing how he handles the post season however because that's where we will first learn about just what kind of owner he really will be. All signs look good at this point however. The Steelers have long been recognized to have one of the best ownerships in the NFL (Rooney Family), if not THE best owner. This group we have now might end up ranking right up there with them if we are lucky.

I think Ron is gone at the end of this season unless the team goes deep into the playoffs (which I dont think will happen). It won't be an outright firing, he may perhaps just retire.

Josh clearly seems anxious to be seen as the new broom that sweeps clean, the one to rid this town and organization of the stench of the previous ownership as quickly as possible. That's why this next offseason is going to be a really interesting one. It wouldn't surprise me if he even brought Joe Gibbs into the FO in some sort of figurehead position as a way of trying to bring some more class back into the scheme of things like he did with Magic Johnson.

I've seen a number of articles recently saying that he really does want to make a clean break with the immediate past, which includes another rebranding as well. We just won't be going back to the old name at all. He mentioned several times this past week that he has been having sleepless nights these past few days worrying about whether the team beats AZ or not. He really does seem to see himself as almost having a mission from God to be the one to restore the team to glory and that's fine with me. 

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

Josh clearly seems anxious to be seen as the new broom that sweeps clean, the one to rid this town and organization of the stench of the previous ownership as quickly as possible.

Yeah they have made that a clear priority.

This new group is working every angle to separate the team from previous ownership, and that leads us to the most likely scenario of massive shakeups in all forms across the organization.

I also agree that the only thing that prevents it is some miracle season run that demands some for of continuity, which I concur is unlikely.

Then I'll finally get what I want the most...

New jumbo-tron baby!

Woot!

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I disagree. If we start out slow as usual, that enthusiasm will vanish. Same old Redskins/Commanders.  Mediocre play won’t bring fans out, especially if we are far out of the playoff chase.

This is a competitive football team. It’s laughable to me that some of our fans can’t see it.

Get prepared for a fast start, and to be proven wrong at every turn this year. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This is a competitive football team. It’s laughable to me that some of our fans can’t see it.

Get prepared for a fast start, and to be proven wrong at every turn this year. 

We see it.  Until it happens, why would we expect anything different? It’s not in Ron’s MO to have a fast start.  This goes back to the Jay Gruden days as well.  We just don’t get off to fast starts around here at all.  I don’t see it changing this year either.  I’d love to be wrong, but given past history, I’m probably going to be right.

Edited by samy316

19 minutes ago, samy316 said:

We see it.  Until it happens, why would we expect anything different? It’s not in Ron’s MO to have a fast start.  This goes back to the Jay Gruden days as well.  We just don’t get off to fast starts around here at all.  I don’t see it changing this year either.  I’d love to be wrong, but given past history, I’m probably going to be right.

Until Ron shows otherwise, you have to go on his track record here and Carolina. He’s started slow more often than he started good or fast.  Went back and looked at his Carolina record. He only had 4 good or fast starts that yielded playoffs. Ironically, he started good in his 2 final Carolina seasons but finished poorly.

So, Ron has to do something he’s rarely done overall in his career and never has here.

We’ll find out tomorrow and the next few weeks; who’s feeling is right on this.

Edited by 88Comrade2000