Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

9 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Someone even flew a plane over the game Sunday. "GET LOST JOSH HARRIS". It was about him trying to remake Chinatown for the new Sixers arena or something lol. They are really mad at him there.

I'm a Sixers fan from here in the Philly burbs and no one really cares about the Sixers right now except the real die-hards. Harris isnt really a blip on the radar here because the 

Eagles fans arent concerned about the Commanders in the least and the Phillies are now the talk of the town along with the Eagles. China town in center city isn't happy about the new arena proposed but Harris is not hated here. He's owned the Devils for years and nobody cares. 

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You dedicate resources to offense -- trade capital, draft capital, etc.  Speed kills.

I dunno if I'd go so far to call the Dolphins the 2023 version of the Greatest Show On Turf.  Yet. That's too high praise.  

They need to keep it up for more than 3 games.  

They are very good though.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Does literally nobody remember Wilbon, before he became a born again Chicagoan, was a columnist for the Washington Post and wrote extensively on the Redskins, and actually was "fan like" at times?  Nobody?  Nobody?  Bueller?  Nobody?

And so, it starts. I suppose that Josh...knowing that pressure from the fans to do something about the coaching staff would likely start after the Chicago game...is having one of those sleepless nights he mentioned he would have after taking over this franchise. I'd say this is pretty good evidence of something he is going to be hearing more and more about.

He's going to be under a lot of pressure about whether to do something about the coaching staff quickly or wait until the end of the season. And he's also not going to liking getting embarrassed by previously winless team like Chicago on his first national primetime Amazon TV (and home game at that) of his new tenure.

It's also pretty good evidence that Magic Johnson is going to have a very visible and important role in the operation of this team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/06/ron-rivera-hot-seat/

>> "Which time, when Chicago Bears wideout DJ Moore danced in the end zone, do you figure Josh Harris wondered, “Are the right people coaching my Washington Commanders?”

On the very first drive Thursday night, when quarterback Justin Fields first hit Moore on third down for 58 yards, then found him in the end zone on third and 14? Good choice.

But so is the 11-yard Moore reception that put the Bears — apologies, the winless Bears — up 17-0 before a minute of the second quarter had elapsed.

Oh, no, this is it: the 56-yard kick to the groin in the fourth quarter, the play on which Moore and the Bears gleefully salted away a 40-20 pounding of Harris’s Commanders at FedEx Field, which emptied much more quickly than it had filled.

We’ll put Moore’s final stat line here, because it is staggering and symbolic of how thoroughly Washington’s defense — identified by the head coach as its “calling card” — was decimated Thursday.

And because it gives Harris more time to take a few breaths as he considers the future.

Moore, the former Maryland Terrapin, caught eight passes for 230 yards and those three scores. The Commanders, then, suffered what is unquestionably the worst loss of the extremely young Harris era. It would battle for status as the worst loss in Ron Rivera’s three-plus seasons as coach.

“It starts at the top,” Rivera said. “We’ve got to be better. That’s on me.”

That’s both accurate and admirable, but what does ownership think? Oh, wait. What have we here?

“Tonight the Commanders played with no intensity or fire,” Magic Johnson, one of Harris’s minority partners, posted to social media. “We didn’t compete in the first half and got down 27-3 heading into halftime.”

That’s not a memo from Harris’s desk. But it’s a memo from someone who has a seat at Harris’s table — someone, it’s worth pointing out, who knows something about intensity and fire.

“That’s perception,” offensive lineman Charles Leno Jr. said. “When you’re down that much and that early, it looks like that.”

Just perception? Maybe. But if it’s perception coming from the owners’ suite, it matters.

“I’d say that’s a fair assessment,” wide receiver Terry McLaurin said.

This was a performance that drew attention in all the wrong kind of ways. So here we are, in early October, with the heat on Rivera — and, mind you, on defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio — much earlier than it needed to be. Just four days earlier, the Commanders pushed the Eagles to overtime in Philadelphia, the rare NFL loss that in the moment felt like a step forward.

The only way to ensure it became an actual step forward: Crush the Bears. Stop their opening drive and score on your own. (Actual result: The Bears went 75 yards in six plays, and the Commanders went three-and-out.) Show that your defense is dominant and disruptive. (Actual result: Allow scores on Chicago’s five first-half possessions, give up 451 yards and fail to create a turnover.) Move to 3-2 not with a struggle but with a statement. (Actual result: a third straight loss and a 2-3 mark.)

All that leads to inevitable talk of Rivera’s future — a theme for the season, for sure, but a serious discussion that should have been delayed until December. Yes, there are 12 games left. But Harris can easily go back and look at the records and the progress before he took ownership: 7-9, 7-10, 8-8-1. Total record in Washington: 24-30-1. Meh. Absolute, complete meh.

So will there be changes? The Commanders have a week and a half before they play again in what now amounts to a must-win game at Atlanta. This mini-bye would be a time to mull and scrutinize how they do things — and who does them.

“We’ll see,” Rivera said, and he absolutely seemed to be mulling things. “I’m not going to sit up here and talk about those things until we get an opportunity to break the tape down.”

The tape will show a defense that not only didn’t dictate the game’s tempo and tenor but had it absolutely dictated to it. It’s unlikely Harris would pull the plug on Rivera all of five games into his ownership tenure. But Rivera could decide to make defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio the culprit. The evidence is there. He could justify it.

Before Thursday night, the Commanders had allowed opponents to score on 52.4 percent of their possessions, second worst in the league — and then they proceeded to cough up three touchdowns and two field goals on the Bears’ first five drives. By the end of the night, that percentage was up to 56.6 percent.

“We started slow as f---,” defensive end Montez Sweat said.

“There’s a standard that we’re not playing to right now,” defensive tackle Jonathan Allen said.

But is Del Rio the right person to get Washington to play to that standard? Entering Thursday, the Commanders were giving up 5.6 yards per play — 24th in the NFL. On Thursday, a Bears team that had averaged five yards per snap in the first four weeks suddenly managed seven. Del Rio’s defense is now allowing 32 points per game — and it has given up 30-plus points in each of the past four games.

This is the team’s strength?

“We’ve got to look at the rotation of the players, look at what we do,” Rivera said, “and make sure … we’re putting them in position to be successful.”

They are not succeeding.

Look, no one wants Harris making football decisions, even major ones: whom to take in the draft, whom to pursue in free agency, who should call plays. But there are a few football matters that rest squarely on his desk: Who picks the players? And who coaches them?

Right now, both of those tasks fall to Rivera — a silly and unnecessary structure when former owner Daniel Snyder set it up that way but a challenge Rivera accepted. When his first-round draft pick, cornerback Emmanuel Forbes Jr., is roasted for a second straight week — and eventually benched — it’s fair to wonder about the process.

This was avoidable. Given the way the offense moved the ball and put up points against the Eagles, and given that the Bears couldn’t approach Philadelphia’s talent and cohesion, a win Thursday could have made Commanders fans excited about the possibilities to come. Up next: a four-game stretch of at Atlanta, at the New York Giants, home against the Eagles team they almost beat and at New England. Getting to, say, 6-3 past the midway point was hardly implausible.

Instead, there is this: a head coach pledging to examine his entire operation before the next game and an owner who is gathering data points about the current infrastructure and where people might fit in the seasons to come — if they fit at all.

Will Rivera’s scrutiny include himself?

“Absolutely,” he said. “We evaluate everything.”

As will, no doubt, the owner."<<

• Thanks 2

The best thing Josh can do is let this tank job play out and then take care of business in the offseason. We still got 75% of a season to go but at this time you ain't keeping Ron and JDR.

If they clean house I trust Josh to find the best people to make this organization succeed. I would be fine with cleaning house. They are all Dan's people. Bring in your own. Josh is a big analytics guy. We could use some of that data driven analysis in the front office. No more drafting on the eye test. Analytics, numbers, nerd stats. give it all.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The best thing Josh can do is let this tank job play out

lol, not how things work around here.  this is what is going to happen.  we are probalby going to lose AGAIN.  Then, in classic ron fashion, go on a 5 game winnig streak, only to end the season with a 3 game losing streak, and voila! a 8-9 season. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The best thing Josh can do is let this tank job play out and then take care of business in the offseason. We still got 75% of a season to go but at this time you ain't keeping Ron and JDR.

If they clean house I trust Josh to find the best people to make this organization succeed. I would be fine with cleaning house. They are all Dan's people. Bring in your own. Josh is a big analytics guy. We could use some of that data driven analysis in the front office. No more drafting on the eye test. Analytics, numbers, nerd stats. give it all.

I’m terrified of the Ron usual 3 wins in 4 game stretch just to lose the last two to end at 7-10 when you could fire him and finish with 3-5 wins. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, gortiz said:

lol, not how things work around here.  this is what is going to happen.  we are probalby going to lose AGAIN.  Then, in classic ron fashion, go on a 5 game winnig streak, only to end the season with a 3 game losing streak, and voila! a 8-9 season. 

Even if that's the case, I think Harris has seen this before and won't let it sway him from getting rid of all the football decision-makers from the FO on down.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, gortiz said:

5 game winning streak? with this oline? they'll be lucky to win 2 more. 

and 8-9 is still firable. 

I still think a playoff victory is necessary for Ron to save his job. That looks pretty unlikely at this point, to say the least. 

There are pros and cons to waiting until Black Monday to fire Ron. The pro is that you don't have a "Terry Robinskie" situation, and you let Ron go out with dignity--it sets a tone. The negative is that Harris has to find both a GM and an HC if he fires Ron. Waiting until January to fire him doesn't give Harris a lot of time to get a new structure in place before the draft.

It may be that the situation dictates the timing. Harris doesn't seem like an emotionally driven decisionmaker, so I doubt he'll do an angry early season firing. If I were Harris, I'd fire Ron and make Del Rio the interim HC the moment that the Commanders are mathematically eliminated. I wouldn't do so beforehand. I'm sure Harris is already backchanneling some discussions about a new GM or president of football operations. Firing Ron allows Harris to put that person in place immediately and begin a full evaluation.

I got no issue with Harris not being angry or upset in the box. He knows this season is just a "let it play out" year. He's not responsible for ANY of this. His MO has always been to bring in his own people as soon as possible and he's going to fully nuke this organization and bring in fresh blood.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

If I was Harris I'd be elated by last night. Nobody is going to be upset when he fires the feel good coach and his sorry as staff. 

He is going to fire everyone regardless of how this season turns out.

Ron is just asking for it now.

Yeah at least there is clarity. Its not like we'll finish 9-8 and he could possibly  be convinced "well if a game or two goes differently we're in the playoffs."

Bottom out and nuke it all.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Of course Harris gets a pass for laughing and tipping them back during the game... but I would still like to see him at least irritated by that performance at home.  He didn't spend 6 bill to be miserable but Id still hope this team we all love means something more than just something he added to his "Sportfolio".  I did enjoy Magic's take and tweet.

Next game will likely be a sell out again but this time it will be half filled with Philly fans.

2 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Of course Harris gets a pass for laughing and tipping them back during the game... but I would still like to see him at least irritated by that performance at home.  He didn't spend 6 bill to be miserable but Id still hope this team we all love means something more than just something he added to his "Sportfolio".  I did enjoy Magic's take and tweet.

Next game will likely be a sell out again but this time it will be half filled with Philly fans.

Na I like that he's keeping a calm and cool rational head. We had an overly emotional petulant child as an owner for the last 25 years and it didn't amount to anything.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

I've read enough about him to have no worries.  He is uber obssesed with making things great.  But I gather he's made the decision to ride this season with Ron no matter what and then make a move.  Will see.

Note to Josh:

We the fans are serious about our football and we don't take kindly to our owner yucking it up and chugging a Solo cup while being blown TF out. You won't find Jerry Jones grinning like a fool during a blowout loss. Come to think of it, it's a pretty darn rare occasion that Jerry's Cowboys ever get blown out.

Read the room. 

• Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1