Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

Harris spent more time talking to the local media and fans in his first week owning the team than Snyder did in the entire 24 years he was here!

And yes, I'm sure he will clean house after this season, but will do it in a professional way...there won't be any 'leaks' to the local radio station about Jason Wright's drinking on the job (example) or Ron Rivera's racist, homophobic rants in the locker room (also an example). 😁

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I like this part

Harris followed all of the news from afar but was close enough to the situation to be in position to bid on the team when the time came.

"I met with Dan a few times," Harris says. "Anytime that you're in a deal like this, the seller has to want to do a deal with you. So I had to cultivate him."

This was not the first time he had to build a relationship with the owner of a distressed company. He'd made his career buying companies like this.

"You have to be transparent, be direct," Harris says. "Say what you're going to do and then do it, be polite, be respectful. Sometimes when you're in a process [like this], there's agreements and lawyers and people can get angry. So communication is important."

The specter of Snyder's legal situation hung over everything. The threat of former Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos -- one of the richest men in the world -- coming in at the last minute and outspending them was always there.

But after nine months of late nights and long calls, Harris and Snyder had a deal. A record for any North American sports franchise -- not Harris' typical buy-low acquisition.

"Paying $280 million [for the Sixers] then, might've been a harder decision than Josh paying $6 billion for the Commanders, just because it was a different time," says Rubin, who sold his stake in the Sixers last year to avoid conflicts of interest with his company, Fanatics. "And because he didn't understand sports then the way he does now."

NFL rules hold that the majority owner must hold over 30% equity. Harris says he's "well north of that" and that Rales is the second-largest shareholder, at around 10%. Ein is also a minority partner, along with Magic Johnson.

Hours after the sale closed, Harris called into a local radio station (106.7 The Fan) and bought a round of beers for about 1,000 listeners at the Old Ox Brewery in Ashburn, Virginia. Since then he has done countless photo ops and interviews all over the District. The Commanders won their first home regular-season game Sept. 10 in front of Embiid, D.C. native Kevin Durant and franchise legends like John Riggins, Champ Bailey and Sonny Jurgensen.

There hasn't been much time to soak it all in. There have been nice moments, like holding his daughter Bridget's hand on the field before the first preseason game, in between photo ops.

But there hasn't been time for much else. Not even makeup before his TV appearance with Buck and Aikman.

"It's not going to help," Harris jokes. "Not at my age." But there's a larger point he is making.

The Commanders might not end up producing the kind of financial returns Harris is used to delivering.

But that's not the kind of reward he's after.

"People just start almost crying when they tell you about the memories they had of Washington football," Harris says. "One of the most important people in government just emailed me and said they remembered being at a game with their dad. I remember being at games with my dad.

"So this is really important. It's a very important city, and it's a very important franchise."

John Keim contributed to this story.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38491279/why-washington-commanders-6-billion-bidding-war-was-one-josh-harris-had-win

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like this part

Harris followed all of the news from afar but was close enough to the situation to be in position to bid on the team when the time came.

"I met with Dan a few times," Harris says. "Anytime that you're in a deal like this, the seller has to want to do a deal with you. So I had to cultivate him."

This was not the first time he had to build a relationship with the owner of a distressed company. He'd made his career buying companies like this.

"You have to be transparent, be direct," Harris says. "Say what you're going to do and then do it, be polite, be respectful. Sometimes when you're in a process [like this], there's agreements and lawyers and people can get angry. So communication is important."

The specter of Snyder's legal situation hung over everything. The threat of former Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos -- one of the richest men in the world -- coming in at the last minute and outspending them was always there.

But after nine months of late nights and long calls, Harris and Snyder had a deal. A record for any North American sports franchise -- not Harris' typical buy-low acquisition.

"Paying $280 million [for the Sixers] then, might've been a harder decision than Josh paying $6 billion for the Commanders, just because it was a different time," says Rubin, who sold his stake in the Sixers last year to avoid conflicts of interest with his company, Fanatics. "And because he didn't understand sports then the way he does now."

NFL rules hold that the majority owner must hold over 30% equity. Harris says he's "well north of that" and that Rales is the second-largest shareholder, at around 10%. Ein is also a minority partner, along with Magic Johnson.

Hours after the sale closed, Harris called into a local radio station (106.7 The Fan) and bought a round of beers for about 1,000 listeners at the Old Ox Brewery in Ashburn, Virginia. Since then he has done countless photo ops and interviews all over the District. The Commanders won their first home regular-season game Sept. 10 in front of Embiid, D.C. native Kevin Durant and franchise legends like John Riggins, Champ Bailey and Sonny Jurgensen.

There hasn't been much time to soak it all in. There have been nice moments, like holding his daughter Bridget's hand on the field before the first preseason game, in between photo ops.

But there hasn't been time for much else. Not even makeup before his TV appearance with Buck and Aikman.

"It's not going to help," Harris jokes. "Not at my age." But there's a larger point he is making.

The Commanders might not end up producing the kind of financial returns Harris is used to delivering.

But that's not the kind of reward he's after.

"People just start almost crying when they tell you about the memories they had of Washington football," Harris says. "One of the most important people in government just emailed me and said they remembered being at a game with their dad. I remember being at games with my dad.

"So this is really important. It's a very important city, and it's a very important franchise."

John Keim contributed to this story.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38491279/why-washington-commanders-6-billion-bidding-war-was-one-josh-harris-had-win

The right person - the right ownership group - landed this team.  This is everything we needed.  Frankly, every fanbase in sports deserves people like the Harris Group to steward their franchises.  

This is going to be a GREAT offseason. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

But Philly fans told me Josh Harris and the sixers were not a successful organization / Harris was a "bad owner"...

The Sixers were something of a distressed asset at the time as well, Blitzer says, losing approximately $25 million a year with a mediocre roster and a frustrated local fan base that routinely prioritized the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies and Flyers in terms of attendance.

Harris and Blitzer studied the financials, taking more than six months to work through and close the deal. They badly wanted the team. But they'd made their careers -- and their fortunes -- by making the right investments, at the right time, for the right price.

The more they studied the NBA and the sports world in general, the more untapped value they saw.

And so in early July 2011, Harris and Blitzer put pen to paper. It is one of the great sports business success stories of the modern era -- from a purchase price of $280 million to a $3.15 billion valuation in 2023.

On 9/29/2023 at 7:13 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Ben Johnson also has a solid Oline and weapons. Heck, that whole team is loaded with talent.

While he deserves credit, could he be overrated due to all the talent? He does call good games. 

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Ben Johnson also has a solid Oline and weapons. Heck, that whole team is loaded with talent.

While he deserves credit, could he be overrated due to all the talent? He does call good games. 

If you got a dude who is both known for being innovative AND having great leadership skills-personality, it has my attention.

I don't hold the fact that they've drafted well while he was there against him.  Typically, offensive coordionators and defensive coordinators are very involved in the draft as to scoping out players.   We've heard later for example Scott Turner wanted this or that player, Sean McVay, etc. We saw Del Rio clearly wanted Forbes, etc.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you got a dude who is both known for being innovative AND having great leadership skills-personality, it has my attention.

I don't hold the fact that they've drafted well while he was there against him.  Typically, offensive coordionators and defensive coordinators are very involved in the draft as to scoping out players.   We've heard later for example Scott Turner wanted this or that player, Sean McVay, etc. We saw Del Rio clearly wanted Forbes, etc.

Ben Johnson is easily the best HC candidate on the market. He is going to have his pick of jobs and, all things being equal, the Chargers are the easy choice for him. We are probably #2 if Howell continues to show something. BJ also played QB at UNC and is from NC. It may end up being one of those things where he and an emerging Lions FO guy are a package deal.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, method man said:

Ben Johnson is easily the best HC candidate on the market. He is going to have his pick of jobs and, all things being equal, the Chargers are the easy choice for him. We are probably #2 if Howell continues to show something. BJ also played QB at UNC and is from NC. It may end up being one of those things where he and an emerging Lions FO guy are a package deal.

If Howell plays this well all year we'll make the playoffs and nobody will get fired.

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If Howell plays this well all year we'll make the playoffs and nobody will get fired.

Nobody will be FIRED, but if EB has a good year he will NOT be around next year. Some other team will belatedly hire him as head coach...unless Rivera gets the axe and Harris promotes EB...which is a good bet.

Wait, I forgot about Jason Wright. He will definitely be fired.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

What about Commander Tuddy?

Hey, that's MAJOR Tuddy 😉 (you'd think they would at least get that right...Commander is a Navy rank and Major is an Army rank)...and I believe it's Wright inside that costume since he came up with the name in the first place because he said 'tuddy' was a widely-known slang term for a touchdown. Apparently, 'widely-known' to Wright means that he's the one who came up with it.

• Haha 5

54 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Hey, that's MAJOR Tuddy 😉 (you'd think they would at least get that right...Commander is a Navy rank and Major is an Army rank)...and I believe it's Wright inside that costume since he came up with the name in the first place because he said 'tuddy' was a widely-known slang term for a touchdown. Apparently, 'widely-known' to Wright means that he's the one who came up with it.

It is well-known and common around the kids I know (that term encompasses anyone under the age of 25 for me lol). It’s still stupid, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

My bad and my apologies to MAJOR Tuddy. You might be on to something. I don't remember seeing Wright and Tuddy in the room at the same time. I had never heard the slang for touchdown being tuddy. For me, it conjures up something completely different.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:10 PM, Captain Wiggles said:

At the very least Del Rio should be replaced. 🤷‍♂️

But it is year 4.

If you replace BOTH coordinators after 4 years there is just no way you keep the head coach. That's just dumb. Only Jerry Jones would do that kind of dumb crap. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:16 PM, bh32 said:

No way would I bring Ron back after this year..His GM decisions on personnel is horrible..JDR would be gone also with his basic Defense.

He and his GM selected Samuel Howell and B Rob. The **** you talking bout.

20 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Nobody will be FIRED, but if EB has a good year he will NOT be around next year. Some other team will belatedly hire him as head coach...unless Rivera gets the axe and Harris promotes EB...which is a good bet.

Wait, I forgot about Jason Wright. He will definitely be fired.

The “Ron getting fired/EB getting promoted” scenario is totally in play in my mind. Not only would you retain EB under this scenario, you would also have the flexibility to rebuild the front office. If you pair EB with a FO guy he is familiar with whether internally (like Stokes) or externally (like Borgonzi from KC), it could work

Ron has to at least make playoffs and probably needs to win a game; to earn the right to finish his contract. No extension, just get the right to finish his final year.

Josh needs to change the front office structure but since Ron has the final say; Ron would have to agree.  This may lead to a parting, regardless of how Ron finishes, if Ron refuses to any changes.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

He and his GM selected Samuel Howell and B Rob. The **** you talking bout.

You can cherry-pick great selections from almost every FO. It’s the strategy and resource usage that is a problem with this regime. The lack of value. The way they maneuver in the draft and use FA. The actual players they pick are a secondary concern even though there are plenty of issues with the selections as well. 

Even your examples aren’t good. They obviously didn’t have conviction on Howell because they waited so long despite having a 2nd round grade on him—because they were afraid of upsetting the fragile psyche of the guy they already overpaid for in Wentz. Which also goes on this FO’s scorecard, if you forgot. They waited until it was an absolute no-brainer with no risk to finally take Howell, it’s not like they pounded the table for their guy and were right. They got insanely lucky. 

And Brian Robinson is a good (underutilized) player. It’s the return you expect for a 3rd round pick used on a RB, though. That’s a borderline premium pick in regards to drafting a RB. He’s not elite, not special. They don’t get “ignore every other error” type credit for that pick for me. It’s a good but expected hit. He’s a good talent, not great. 

I just don’t know what your point here is. Is your contention that because they lucked into Howell and drafted a good RB in the 3rd round, we should ignore everything else? Is your contention that they draft well and are a good FO? They obviously don’t and obviously aren’t. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1