Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

Very sobering because those past coaches were all better than average yet below average records.  It's amazing what a terrible owner can do to the team on the field.  I suppose it kind of dovetails with the above "infuriation" over being so flipping cheap.  

Real curious now that the cloud has lifted and what this team can do.

Record comparison over 3 year tenor:

Gibbs 21-27

Shannahan 21-27

Gruden 21-26-1

Rivera 22-27-1

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

What was really encouraging in this article is the quote from Harris himself..you want professionals picking the players. Man is that a breath of fresh freaking air or what!?

As for how Harris might operate as owner -- regardless of who is coaching his club -- he staked a position on Wednesday that intentionally differs from a division rival located in Dallas. Harris said he kept out of the war room when Washington trimmed its roster to 53, explaining "you want professionals picking the players," per The Washington Post's Sam Fortier. Harris doesn't plan on entering the room in the future, either, leaving the job up to those on his staff.

He took another dig at the Cowboys when explaining his goals for returning the Commanders to prominence: "Dallas was not America’s team. Washington was."

https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-josh-harris-ron-rivera-deliver-wins-on-field

LFG!!!!

Edited by Tress Is The Way
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Part of what makes it infuriating to this day is Dan's defenders through this day who were mostly his player pals from the Gibbs 2 era like Portis, Smoot, etc will say yeah maybe Dan had some issues but you can't say he wasn't willing to spend.  

That's absurd.  At least when it comes to the last 10 years give or take.  Yes he would overpay for FAs especially early on.  But more and more stories have came out over the years that he was cheap as heck across the board and in turn let the stadium decay among other things. 

They were behind the curve on diet measures, facility, recovery equipment -- overall spending in that building including the business department, scouting, etc.  Dan was uber cheap aside from overpaying for FAs.

Let's not forget the bags of apples he handed out to all the team employees in lieu of an Xmas bonus! He overpaid on the athletes whose jocks he wanted to sniff, that's all...everybody else was like David Copperfield begging for more soup. We've talked about this endlessly before, but one does have to wonder if Snyder had at least stayed in college and earned an MBA or something that maybe he wouldn't have been this way towards the people who worked for him...instead he dropped out at 19 to become a telemarketer during the right time, and sold the business at the height of the telemarketing era.

I'm not saying someone going to college is going to stop being an a-hole, but perhaps he would have learned how to properly treat staff at least.

Everything else he has touched has resulted in the King Midas in Reverse effect.

Coincidentally, I recently went to a sauna that does salt baths in the area. The owner used to provide immersion salt tanks for the Redskins players too...until Snyder refused to pay him, so he packed up the tanks and left! So that's one less rehab tool for the players to use.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rales said he and Harris have also had roundtable lunches with 10 to 12 players at a time to get to know them and to hear ways in which they can make improvements.

“We wanted to learn about their lives and who they were and the way they were thinking and what they were experiencing as part of this new regime and what it was like in the old days and what we could do to improve things for them,” Rales said. “They all talk in the league. You can look at the statistics and see where our training camp [ranks] compared to other training camps, our stadium compared to the other stadiums.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/07/commanders-name-change-rales-harris/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=wp_sports&utm_medium=social

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Seems like overkill to be honest.

Not so much. This is kinda the endpoint of where grass stadiums are going.

Extremely expensive option, but to prevent non sports-related stadium use from damaging the field? Its a cure all.

You could tuck the field away, host a mosh pit rock concert on Fri and bring the field back on Sun ready for game day. If the goal is to squeeze every penny outta your stadium as a multi-use complex... its practical.

Real Madrid will be able to rent out its stadium to monster truck rallies mid season. The ability to shield your field opens doors that were not available before. I kinda look at it as like the next step up from putting a roof on your stadium. That protection from weather changes the game on what can be hosted in your park and when. Field protection will have a similar effect.

Hard surface sports have been here for years. This is not dissimilar to how most basketball courts can be packed up and moved as needed or how a hockey surface can be covered to be useful as an event venue. Its just a little more complicated due to grass being a living thing. Switch out to astro-turf and field removal would be a fraction of the pain as that Madrid system.

Everybody wants to have their stadiums make money for them now-a-days and field protection measures in "grass sport" fields will become the standard over the next decade as they play catch up w/ the other hard surface sports.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

The team is on a PR campaign to bring back the legends like Riggins and RG3. Even if it was only one year he had an outstanding season and it was the most memorable this team had had on some time. That, and the constant flyers in the Post and full page ads...they'll be selling half price hot dogs at the game Sunday to curry goodwill amongst the fans. You can tell they have a long way to go to regain public trust, but damn it, they're doing everything they can to endear themselves to the fans and those who may have left, and I for one am greatly in favor of it.

• Like 7

lol this must be meant for a different contingent of fans that just thinks RG3 got a raw deal here with the injury, and still worship him as an honored alumni. I consider him to be a great example of the Snyder rot given their inappropriate relationship behind the coaches backs, the stuff with RG3’s dad trying to dictate how the Shanahans would use him, etc. So much of Snyder’s failure and toxicity is exemplified by the whole RG3 saga. I have plenty of empathy about it—he was a 22 year old prodigy thrust into fame as the face of a franchise, and even he didn’t know at the time that he didn’t have what it took to actually develop into a franchise passer (injury or not). He was a spoiled kid, he’s not really the bad guy in that whole situation even though I do personally think he’s a douche, as a person. 

I guess it must fire up some fans to see this though, to bring him fully back into the fold as an alumni in a way he couldn’t really be while Snyder was still here. Happy for those fans. Sure hop on the bandwagon, Griffin & co., why not. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Is RG3 back in some capacity with the teams media or is this just a 1 off event?

It was basically commercial/collab between the team, RG3, and Eastern Motors. He’s not affiliated with the team. 

I’m sure he was told early on that they wanted to bring him back into the fold for the fans, though. He was outwardly hyped about the Harris acquisition and talked about “big plans”. I’m sure they worked on filming this quite a while ago and that’s what he was talking about.

Of course, at the height of his Bezos brain @SoCalSkins insisted in embarrassingly confident fashion that Griffin would be Harris’ GM choice because of those tweets.

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

Said Johnson: “I kept telling them I’ve never been satisfied. I’m a guy who wants more. I’ve always wanted more. I have 14 world championship rings, and I want a Super Bowl ring. And so how can I help them achieve that?”

“This is what I told them,” he continued. “. . . I said: ‘You don’t have to worry about no problems from this ownership group. You just have to concentrate on Sundays, playing football. You ain’t going to read no headlines. You’re not going to have to worry about nothing. No questions from [media] about stuff off the field. Your job is just to concentrate on doing your job and having fun every Sunday, every Thursday or every Monday. That’s it.’ ”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/08/magic-johnson-commanders/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=wp_sports-commanders

10 hours ago, Conn said:

It was basically commercial/collab between the team, RG3, and Eastern Motors. He’s not affiliated with the team. 

I’m sure he was told early on that they wanted to bring him back into the fold for the fans, though. He was outwardly hyped about the Harris acquisition and talked about “big plans”. I’m sure they worked on filming this quite a while ago and that’s what he was talking about.

Of course, at the height of his Bezos brain @SoCalSkins insisted in embarrassingly confident fashion that Griffin would be Harris’ GM choice because of those tweets.

Thinking about it can you imagine Bezos doing anything close to what Harris is doing as for reaching out to the fans and with this whole ownership coming off so likeable and accessible?

Bezos is about as warm and fuzzy as a porcupine.  His company is not only famous for how the cheap they are when they travel among other things, they brag about it as their culture motif and won't even pay for bagels for their employees and the slew of other stories I posted.  While Harris is buying every fan a beer at events and giving away freebees at camp. 

https://nypost.com/2022/09/16/ex-amazon-staffers-say-frugal-company-made-them-split-bagels/

Ex-Amazon staffers say ‘frugal’ company made them split bagels at meetings

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, HOF44 said:

I'd settle for some baby-changing stations on the first level for the families of the players...you know, the ones that Tanya Snyder said were 'too expensive' at $150...Dan isn't the only cheapskate in the Snyder family.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/mar/6/loverro-commanders-treatment-players-families-spea/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Bailey has not returned to FedEx Field since playing here as a member of the Broncos in 2009 and was critical of the organization built by former owner Dan Snyder. He won't be the only high-profile alumnus returning as Hall of Fame running back John Riggins will attend his first game in a while and former quarterback Robert Griffin III also tweeted that he will attend Sunday's game.

"It signals a new era," Washington's alumni director Tim Hightower said.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3