Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

20 hours ago, method man said:

On another note, you could pair Slowik with Adam Peters. The two spent years together on the 49ers and there is probably a working relationship between the two

This would be an ideal pairing. 

I’d take Adam Peters with anyone he picks as HC. He’s my number 1 want as GM

We figure that Dan told Ron that he shouldn't spend a bunch of money this offseason, so it seems like he was told that Sam was going to be his only QB option, after a couple years of a very desperate search for a QB and when that happened, Ron just threw threw his arms in the arm and knew it was over and gave up.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We figure that Dan told Ron that he shouldn't spend a bunch of money this offseason, so it seems like he was told that Sam was going to be his only QB option, after a couple years of a very desperate search for a QB and when that happened, Ron just threw threw his arms in the arm and knew it was over and gave up.

Maybe so but for a dude that perhaps didn't have much to spend in FA, it makes the draft even more strange.  If there was a draft where they needed instant impact, it was this one. 

Also there has been relatively cheap O line help that he didn't bother with.

I think in a way Howell relaxed him some because he decided that he's going to use Howell as a built in excuse if the season didn't go well.   That's clear because he's sticking to that narrative even though if anything the season is playing out the opposite way -- Howell has been argubaly the silver lining.   

So its the worst of the worst for Rivera.  His excuse for growing pains is actually playing well and its the rest of the roster that's the problem.  So he's going to keep his excuse being Howell because he has to.

I wonder if subconsciously he's not into getting Howell more O line help because he thinks it oddly helps his narrative if he can say look its growing pains with Howell. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe so but for a dude that perhaps didn't have much to spend in FA, it makes the draft even more strange.  If there was a draft where they needed instant impact, it was this one. 

Also there has been relatively cheap O line help that he didn't bother with.

I think in a way Howell relaxed him some because he decided that he's going to use Howell as a built in excuse if the season didn't go well.   That's clear because he's sticking to that narrative even though if anything the season is playing out the opposite way -- Howell has been argubaly the silver lining.   

So its the worst of the worst for Rivera.  His excuse for growing pains is actually playing well and its the rest of the roster that's the problem.  So he's going to keep his excuse being Howell because he has to.

I wonder if subconsciously he's not into getting Howell more O line help because he thinks it oddly helps his narrative if he can say look its growing pains with Howell. 

He acts like Sam kicked his puppy. 

I'll admit that I was down on every move we made this offseason, to the point of it being over the top, but basically everything I feared came true.

Gates, Whylie and Barton are bad.

The draft was bad.

EB outside of maybe 6 good quarters has been bad

Howell would be fun, with lots of ups and downs.

I didn't see the coaches losing the locker room so fast and that seems to have happened and there is nothing we can do about it.

JDR lost his best coordinator and is handling parts of the HC role, despite Ron having two GM types and you definitely can't make EB the coach with the communication issues we've had.

Then reports of the players laughing at Chase  suggesting it's on the players when he spoke to the team at halftime, instead of Ron and the coaches.

I think Ron was the king of the castle under Dan, especially when it became clear that he had to sell and now it's already clearly over and you can't fire Ron mid season, and with the schedule about to become brutal, I can't imagine it getting much better.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Even Rick Snider sees it

FWIW, Jason Bishop on The Junkies this morning said he spoke to someone over at the park and asked how it was going.  "She" said they are all expecting major changes from top to bottom at the end of the season.  Could be why Harris looks so relaxed/casual.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW, Jason Bishop on The Junkies this morning said he spoke to someone over at the park and asked how it was going.  "She" said they are all expecting major changes from top to bottom at the end of the season.

Honestly that’s probably worth the same as Rick Snider’s take: nothing and obvious.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Harris was already to talking to people last offseason, before he owned the team, I'm willing to bet that he already has a plan and the next people are already lined up.

I guarantee he already has a short list. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was a real quick hire.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Then reports of the players laughing at Chase  suggesting it's on the players when he spoke to the team at halftime, instead of Ron and the coaches.

What’s the download on this? I saw the part about Rivera letting the players figure it out amongst themselves at halftime (lol) but what’s the part about Chase and players laughing? 

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

What’s the download on this? I saw the part about Rivera letting the players figure it out amongst themselves at halftime (lol) but what’s the part about Chase and players laughing? 

There was a tweet circulating about it after the game, but it had profanity in it. It said Chase stood up and said "Coach is right, this is on us to play better" and the guys ****ing laughed.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There was a tweet circulating about it after the game, but it had profanity in it. It said Chase stood up and said "Coach is right, this is on us to play better" and the guys ****ing laughed.

Can’t believe this slipped under my radar. That’s embarrassing if true. Devastating to the idea that Rivera can still motivate these guys at all. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Conn said:

Can’t believe this slipped under my radar. That’s embarrassing if true. Devastating to the idea that Rivera can still motivate these guys at all. 

It also speaks volumes about what Chase's teammates think of him too.

I don't think it's a coach's job to motivate players. They should be motivated themselves to excel. That's how old Steelers coach Chuck Noll operated...if you can't motivate yourself to dominate at your position, then you should leave football and find your life's work.

Now, a coach does have to correct players and tell them what to do better, and make sure players are thoroughly prepared for the next opponent. But motivation? No.

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I guarantee he already has a short list. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was a real quick hire.

I think it was @Voice_of_Reason who heard it could be the return of the king as HC and the GM just might be a surprise outside the box hire from the media world.

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 11.09.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 11.10.08 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He acts like Sam kicked his puppy. 

I'll admit that I was down on every move we made this offseason, to the point of it being over the top, but basically everything I feared came true.

Gates, Whylie and Barton are bad.

The draft was bad.

EB outside of maybe 6 good quarters has been bad

Howell would be fun, with lots of ups and downs.

I didn't see the coaches losing the locker room so fast and that seems to have happened and there is nothing we can do about it.

JDR lost his best coordinator and is handling parts of the HC role, despite Ron having two GM types and you definitely can't make EB the coach with the communication issues we've had.

I think Ron was the king of the castle under Dan, especially when it became clear that he had to sell and now it's already clearly over and you can't fire Ron mid season, and with the schedule about to become brutal, I can't imagine it getting much better.

Ron seemed really different during TC, he seemed rejuvenated and pretty happy with the way things were shaking out. That seems a long time ago already.

Think your right about him being king under Dan. He definitely has seen the writing on the wall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It also speaks volumes about what Chase's teammates think of him too.

I don't think it's a coach's job to motivate players. They should be motivated themselves to excel. That's how old Steelers coach Chuck Noll operated...if you can't motivate yourself to dominate at your position, then you should leave football and find your life's work.

Now, a coach does have to correct players and tell them what to do better, and make sure players are thoroughly prepared for the next opponent. But motivation? No.

“Motivation” as in give players a reason to play hard and spend time studying and perfecting their craft? Maybe not. Motivate players to do things your way  in order to build your culture, creating a self-sustaining accountability and a focus on team-think? That is absolutely a coaching staff’s job.

The vast majority of players in the NFL are under 26. Huge percentage of those are on their rookie contracts and barely into their early 20’s. The mentorship and guidance needs—even for people with a great work ethic—are HUGE at that age if you’ve ever managed adults. It’s not as simple as “they are professionals getting paid to play, they don’t need outside motivation”. Most of them are barely done being kids who have gotten by on their athleticism their entire lives, skating by in non-sports related categories by virtue of their talent on the field. They need a lot of leadership and specific types of motivation, and only so much of that can come from fellow veteran players. 

This is just what we see on game day, but it is absolutely bizarre how little Rivera engages with anyone on the sidelines, like he’s just there to observe on game day. The right word or question or affirmation to a player between series can be critical. It doesn’t matter how much faith you have in your assistant coaches, if you are setting the tone in the organization then you need to be present and intentional. Not passive and observational. Rivera has the demeanor of a team owner watching training camp as an outsider—not a HC leading his men into battle. I’m not talking about rah-rah yelling type **** or huge shows of emotion, either. Most of that theatrical stuff is bull****. I’m just talking about being present and being a resource for your players and coaches. The guy is a ghost haunting the sideline of his own career at this point. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1