Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

12 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Firing Ron isn’t going help attendance this season.  The team sucks and people aren’t going watch crap, regardless of who’s coaching the team.

This season is a lost season, regardless of how we finish.

When the sale didn't finalize until late July, it was already a foregone conclusion.

• Like 1

Right now all I want Harris to be doing is revamping the Front Office. Not firing Mayhew and CO. But I'd like him to ask them what they need. The college season is already underway but if they can still hire scouts, they should. I want us to have the largest scouting department in the league.

Then I want him to invest in analytics departments. I don't care what Ron works with but I want him be able to get guys who can speak to guys who talk that language as well as locker room language. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Right now all I want Harris to be doing is revamping the Front Office. Not firing Mayhew and CO. But I'd like him to ask them what they need. The college season is already underway but if they can still hire scouts, they should. I want us to have the largest scouting department in the league.

Then I want him to invest in analytics departments. I don't care what Ron works with but I want him be able to get guys who can speak to guys who talk that language as well as locker room language. 

Harris can’t do Jack until he removes the man with the power, Ron. Ron controls everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

All of this is going to happen after the season or they are eliminated and Josh starts firing people to make changes. 

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

All of this is going to happen after the season or they are eliminated and Josh starts firing people to make changes. 

I don't understand why. Why can't Marty say he's been short on staff and needs scouts for smaller schools, and Harris supply him with that? 

Why does Ron need to yes that? Even if he does need to, why wouldn't he? He can't look at all the film. 

It doesn't matter. This is the Howell season. Win lose or draw, we have our QB. We just need to build around him with a competent staff and a team. 

21 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

It doesn't matter. This is the Howell season. Win lose or draw, we have our QB. We just need to build around him with a competent staff and a team. 

Good way to look at this season....If we can determine Howell is our guy then moving forward becomes more defined as to what we need to do. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't understand why. Why can't Marty say he's been short on staff and needs scouts for smaller schools, and Harris supply him with that? 

Why does Ron need to yes that? Even if he does need to, why wouldn't he? He can't look at all the film. 

Because you want the new GM and his philosophy driving the hires, you want the new GM selecting the candidates, interviewing, hiring and making the staffing decisions.  

You don’t want Mr. Run Twice for every pass  making any staffing decisions for go-forward.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No matter how much @Voice_of_Reason reveres Snider, I still say no even if he came wiithout GM powers -- I want a youngish hungry coach not another 2nd-3rd act type.

So much to react to here:

1. He didn't record a 2 minute video, it looks like.  This is off-brand.  I'm not sure what to do with this.

2. Belichick will not go to a team without full control.  Which might force him into retirement.  

3. If the owner hires Belichick and then hires a GM, and forces them to work together, that's a recipe for disaster

4. This doesn't seem to be plagiarized from Keim's feed. Which is shocking.  

Btw, there is another poster on this board who has as much distaste for Rick as I do.  Is it @Riggo#44? I might have gotten that wrong.  But it was somebody.  Somebody came in and posted "Just here for the Snider slander" in some thread, and it wasn't me.

So Rick has, at least, a fan club of 2 on this board.  Probably more.  Maybe even the silent majority. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Btw, there is another poster on this board who has as much distaste for Rick as I do.  Is it @Riggo#44?

It might be me. I've been saying he was a useless windbag since 2014.

During the 2014 NLDS, Metro wouldn't stay open for the Nats playoff games. He wrote an article basically telling Nats fans to stop whining and do something about it. I pointed out the WaPo article praising the Twitter campaign to carpool to the games. I called him out of touch and he blocked me, not that I am really missing anything.

Looks like he took my words to heart and just started stealing from people who weren't useless.

• Like 1

No player is guaranteed a roster spot in 24 under the new regime. Every single player is expendable.

They will look at the roster and see which players fit their schemes and they want to build around. I personally think the players that survive the inevitable turnover, when a new coach takes over; will be the pre- Ron players. 

Sam isn’t a lock to be our long term guy. The next coach may want his own qb and we could trade Sam for picks. Or the next coach will give Sam a chance but intends to bring his own qb to compete for the job.

• Like 1

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Didn't Rivera get bashed for doing exactly this?

Probably but this is normal sop when a new coach takes over. 2-3 years in a new coach’s tenure and the roster is turned over.

Ron’s tenure brought us mediocre: 7,7,8 and whatever this year. Only the best players will last under the new regime.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

No player is guaranteed a roster spot in 24 under the new regime. Every single player is expendable.

That's actually not entirely true just from cap economics.  They really CAN'T cut or trade Allen, Payne or Terry.  Unless they find some bizarre cap math, because of the guaranteed money at signing which escalates to the current team's cap no matter what.  You can't ask another team to pick that up.  Unless I'm very much mistaken, that component is 100% tied to the current team, and can't be moved.  Wentz was different because the $28m wasn't fully guaranteed at signing, so they could have moved pieces of it around, the Colts could have picked up some of the salary.  

But with those 3, they basically can't move/trade/release them.

Everybody else, you're right. 

Also of note, here are the players who are in the last year of their contract:

CB - Kendall Fuller*

DE - Chase Young*

WR - Curtis Samuel*

DE - Montez Sweat*

QB - Jacoby Brissett

OT - Cornelius Lucas

RB - Antonio Gibson*

OG - Saadiq Charlets*

LB - Cody Barton*

S - Cam Kurl*

DE - James Smith-Williams

DE - Casey Toohill

S - Jeremy Reeves* (special Teams)

K - Joey Slye*

DE - Efe Obada

DT - David Bada 

LB - Khaleke Hudson

LB - David Mayo

C - Tyler Larson

WR - Jamison Crowder

S - Troy Apke

WR - Byron Pringle

LB - De'Jon Harris

And a few guys I won't list because I've never heard of them and are on IR and are most likely irrelevant.

*'s indicate starter.  

It's also worth noting ALL of the DE's except for the 2 they drafted this year are ALL FA's.  

Almost no matter what, the team is going to look massively different next year than it does this year.  They're going to have $73m of cap space, but they only have 40 players under contract.  

For whatever it's worth, the saints are -88m of Cap Space. It's going to be very interesting to see how they get out of that hole.  Dallas is -10m.  The 49ers are -10M.  Also interesting, the Bills are $32M in the hole for next year, so this might be the "put up or shut up" year for them. They might have to start cutting salary in a meaningful way next year.  

EDIT to above: the fact we have SO MANY players in the last year of their contract, you're not going to get huge returns on any of them in the trade market.  What are you going to get for 10 games of Montez Sweat before he hits FA?  Chase Young, same thing.   Unless the new team reaches an extension with the player as part of the trade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's actually not entirely true just from cap economics.  They really CAN'T cut or trade Allen, Payne or Terry.  Unless they find some bizarre cap math, because of the guaranteed money at signing which escalates to the current team's cap no matter what.  You can't ask another team to pick that up.  Unless I'm very much mistaken, that component is 100% tied to the current team, and can't be moved.  Wentz was different because the $28m wasn't fully guaranteed at signing, so they could have moved pieces of it around, the Colts could have picked up some of the salary.  

But with those 3, they basically can't move/trade/release them.

Everybody else, you're right. 

Also of note, here are the players who are in the last year of their contract:

CB - Kendall Fuller*

DE - Chase Young*

WR - Curtis Samuel*

DE - Montez Sweat*

QB - Jacoby Brissett

OT - Cornelius Lucas

RB - Antonio Gibson*

OG - Saadiq Charlets*

LB - Cody Barton*

S - Cam Kurl*

DE - James Smith-Williams

DE - Casey Toohill

K - Joey Slye*

DE - Efe Obada

DT - David Bada 

LB - Khaleke Hudson

LB - David Mayo

C - Tyler Larson

WR - Jamison Crowder

S - Troy Apke

WR - Byron Pringle

LB - De'Jon Harris

And a few guys I won't list because I've never heard of them and are on IR and are most likely irrelevant.

*'s indicate starter.  

It's also worth noting ALL of the DE's except for the 2 they drafted this year are ALL FA's.  

Almost no matter what, the team is going to look massively different next year than it does this year.  They're going to have $73m of cap space, but they only have 40 players under contract.  

For whatever it's worth, the saints are -88m of Cap Space. It's going to be very interesting to see how they get out of that hole.  Dallas is -10m.  The 49ers are -10M.  Also interesting, the Bills are $32M in the hole for next year, so this might be the "put up or shut up" year for them. They might have to start cutting salary in a meaningful way next year.  

EDIT to above: the fact we have SO MANY players in the last year of their contract, you're not going to get huge returns on any of them in the trade market.  What are you going to get for 10 games of Montez Sweat before he hits FA?  Chase Young, same thing.   Unless the new team reaches an extension with the player as part of the trade.

Great post. 

Agree with your point about the draft value of these guys given where they are in their contract status. I just think we will have to swallow the fact that nothing can happen until after this evaluation season. Then, the priority is a new GM, hopefully a new and much larger scouting staff, and a new coaching staff. The roster is going to likely suck for a year or two. No more of this attitude as though we are only a piece or two away - we aren't. So we may have to come to terms with a rebuild. 

With all of that in mind, of your list of players whose contracts are expiring, here are the ones I think we need to prioritize re-signing:

B - Kendall Fuller*

DE - Chase Young*

OG - Saadiq Charles*

S - Cam Kurl*

DE - Casey Toohill

DE - Efe Obada

LB - Khaleke Hudson

WR - Jamison Crowder

Not sure how feasible it would be, but at least we keep a nucleus in place with those signings.

On 10/15/2023 at 12:41 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Commander's ownership group touring the Falcons facility:

Reaction win leo GIF on GIFER - by Ker

(BLAH.  I really wanted to use the clip from Independence day, but the protagonist has become problematic.  So this will suffice....) 

Will Smith slapped someone. He’s not problematic to the point of not posting gifs 

image.gif.294898df77cc8a66e05fb38e0ad34b3e.gif

he’s also becoming more sympathetic by the day with Jada giving interviews for the last week to promote her book that have dragged him every chance she gets 

• Haha 2