Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

On 10/22/2023 at 10:29 PM, FootballZombie said:

I get Magic has to be a face and a bridge but commenting on every little thing can be problematic for a lot of people. He's kinda dug himself a hole cuz if he does not respond to outcry, people will see it as him and the ownership group not caring, so he "has to" put out a message that they see what the fans see and they feel our plight.

I don't like the idea of my ownership group wagging their fingers after every setback, like some kind of overbearing shadow brokers, but the alternative right now is people getting up in arms. Its the hidden darkside of a Magic-like mouthpiece. I think the dream is to get to point in the future where we only roll Magic out in positive situations and he can kinda hide for negative stuff, but we are not there right now.

I don't like Magic commenting after wins or losses. Keep your thoughts private and in-house so not to embarrass your players or coaches as they're likely embarrassed enough. It's clear this team needs new leadership on the field so talk to your players privately and try to be supportive of them. I don't think the fans need Magic Johnson to spell out what we saw and already know; we're pretty bright fans who've been around the block.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

face of a loser team.  the fan base is non existent.  Josh Harris will do the same thing here as he did in Philly. Trust the process.  He will tear down this roster before it gets good 

The NFL has a much larger roster and every team no matter how bad can have 1-2 players that can be the face of the team that the fans come to see. 

You don't need to send everyone away. If you really want to look at it in a logical way, Allen and Terry are the face of the team. And they have been here longer than most of the other players. This year they could get away with trading a lot of the roster if they first FIRE both of the Martins and bring in someone new to evaluate the team before the trade deadline.  But you have to keep a few players 

Winning cures everything. You put out a consistent winner and the fanbase will be there and rooting for those players that are winning.

No player is deemed not tradable. In they want to tear it down and do a true rebuild , so be it. As long as you tell what you are doing, the fans will be patient.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't like Magic commenting after wins or losses. Keep your thoughts private and in-house so not to embarrass your players or coaches as they're likely embarrassed enough. It's clear this team needs new leadership on the field so talk to your players privately and try to be supportive of them. I don't think the fans need Magic Johnson to spell out what we saw and already know; we're pretty bright fans who've been around the block.

This is what Magic does. He comments on every game in every sport in the most banal and obvious way possible.

"Giannis very tough to stop when he gets to the rim. The Bucks are going to be tough to beat this year."

He's an all-time great Twitter follow. You guys need to embrace it.

• Haha 4

I wouldn’t get attached to any player. The new Gm and coach will look at the roster and decide which players they feel they can build their team around.

Let’s start at qb?  Will Sam show

enough for the new regime to say he’s their guy? I doubt it but we’ll see what 

happens. If we land a Top 5 pick; qb is the only option.  I still hold the belief that a qb will be drafted in the lower rounds to compete for job. The new Coach owes nothing to Sam. Sam will have to earn the  right to be his qb.  Of course, if we draft a first round qb; Sam’s future isn’t here.

Whatever the new guy does, I support it.

The players that have value, could be traded. Allen, Payne and scary Terry aren’t locks.

Big decisions on Sweat and Young, we could just let them both walk.

Whatever the new guys do, I am all for it. I trust them to build it right.Just tell me what your doing, if you decide to tear it down first. Though honestly, we really don’t have much of anything. Ron built nothing.

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Whatever the new guys do, I am all for it. I trust them to build it right.Just tell me what your doing, if you decide to tear it down first. Though honestly, we really don’t have much of anything. Ron built nothing.

You trust them but you don't even know who they are.

There seems to be this belief that Josh is going to hire, on his first try, the next Bobby Beathard/Joe Gibbs combo and everything is going to be right in the world.

He might. 

He might not.  He might hire qualified people and they might fail.  And then he might have to try again.  Because honestly, almost every coach/GM hired fails.  And not ever owner is an idiot.  

Hell, even the Mara's, who have a track record of success figured out how to hire 2 coaches for 2 years each and a GM who stunk.  MAYBE they got it right this time, we'll see.  They hired guys from Buffalo, and last year looked good, but this year, unless they're playing us, they look horrendous.  

There will be, and should be, a change. We'll see how it goes from there.  They still need to figure out the QB position.  Which they haven't done yet.  Maybe it's Howell, maybe it's not.  

I think you're fooling yourself if you think that the next regime is just magically going to be gold.  We have no idea, because we have no idea who it's going to be.  

6 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This is what Magic does. He comments on every game in every sport in the most banal and obvious way possible.

"Giannis very tough to stop when he gets to the rim. The Bucks are going to be tough to beat this year."

He's an all-time great Twitter follow. You guys need to embrace it.

I've actually known this for a while and when he posted after the Bear's game, I took it entirely with a grain of salt.  It's what he does.  

Everybody is clamoring for accountability. 

It's coming.  It will not be in the form of a tweet.  

It will be in the form of a fist full of pink slips and packing boxes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You trust them but you don't even know who they are.

There seems to be this belief that Josh is going to hire, on his first try, the next Bobby Beathard/Joe Gibbs combo and everything is going to be right in the world.

He might. 

He might not.  He might hire qualified people and they might fail.  And then he might have to try again.  Because honestly, almost every coach/GM hired fails.  And not ever owner is an idiot.  

Hell, even the Mara's, who have a track record of success figured out how to hire 2 coaches for 2 years each and a GM who stunk.  MAYBE they got it right this time, we'll see.  They hired guys from Buffalo, and last year looked good, but this year, unless they're playing us, they look horrendous.  

There will be, and should be, a change. We'll see how it goes from there.  They still need to figure out the QB position.  Which they haven't done yet.  Maybe it's Howell, maybe it's not.  

I think you're fooling yourself if you think that the next regime is just magically going to be gold.  We have no idea, because we have no idea who it's going to be.  

You're not wrong. But I trust Harris's process. Beyond that, ultimately who knows how it'll all work out. There is an element of luck to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You're not wrong. But I trust Harris's process. Beyond that, ultimately who knows how it'll all work out. There is an element of luck to it.

I trust Josh’s process also. However….

The Eagles, probably the best run organization in sports, hired Chip Kelly and let him destroy the team in 2 years.  (Then took no time to rebuild it) 

About the only team that just always seems to get it right without making a boo-boo are the Steelers.  But they have had 3 HC’s in team history (I think) and just are the definition of stability.

Every other team, even the well run ones make choices which just don’t work out.  For whatever reason.  

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

And most importantly, we’ll be a normal organization where there is appropriately assigned accountability. If the initial hires are bad, it won’t be due to unavoidable systemic failure tied to the rotting head of the franchise like before. They’ll eventually be swept out and we’ll get another shot at hitting a home run like every other normal fanbase. That’s really the important part to me. The hope will be back even if we make the wrong hires, the wrong draft picks, the wrong decisions on game day. The entire mindset changes because we aren’t stuck in purgatory with Snyder.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Eagles, probably the best run organization in sports, hired Chip Kelly and let him destroy the team in 2 years.  (Then took no time to rebuild it) 

About the only team that just always seems to get it right without making a boo-boo are the Steelers.  But they have had 3 HC’s in team history (I think) and just are the definition of stability.

Every other team, even the well run ones make choices which just don’t work out.  For whatever reason.  

Steelers since 69/70- whenever they hired Chuck Knoll have had  3 coaches.

I trust Josh will hire quality people, unlike the former guy. Will they make mistakes, sure. I think they will quickly move on from any mistakes.

All you gotta is faith that things will be better with his people. If not, this franchise is dead and probably relocates.

I know getting things right isn’t easy. Not much sustained success among recent new owners last 10 years. Just look at Denver and they have only owned the team for little over a year:

Edited by 88Comrade2000

Josh Harris is a smart dude.  While this thread is debating his next move with GM/Coach combos, he's well aware his most important next team move has NOTHING to do with coaching and players on the field. 

Hate to say it, because we don't even have a thread for it in the stadium, but his most important next step is the rebranding process.  Until that's fixed, nothing is bringing the fans back in droves. Even winning.  But he knows that already, and can't wait until it's finally announced. 

Hail. 

8 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Josh Harris is a smart dude.  While this thread is debating his next move with GM/Coach combos, he's well aware his most important next team move has NOTHING to do with coaching and players on the field. 

Hate to say it, because we don't even have a thread for it in the stadium, but his most important next step is the rebranding process.  Until that's fixed, nothing is bringing the fans back in droves. Even winning.  But he knows that already, and can't wait until it's finally announced. 

Hail. 

Rebranding over winning is more important to bring the fans back?  To each their own but in my circle its definitely not the case.  According to Keim, that's not how this ownership sees it in priority order by a long shot.  He's specifically talked about their priorities a bunch of times, I presume from conversations with them.  I know Sheehan talked to them.

1.  Winning and getting this organization on the right track.  2.  Improving the fan experience at the stadium.  3.  New stadium. I've heard are their top priorities by a mile.

And everything else including rebranding is a distant 4.  But clearly some fans are into the rebranding.  So I think there is a shot they get to it.  For me, I can care less.  But I know some do.   Sheehan has gone on a wild ride on that point he's gone from caring less about it to becoming all of a sudden obsessed with it this year.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Conn said:

And most importantly, we’ll be a normal organization where there is appropriately assigned accountability. If the initial hires are bad, it won’t be due to unavoidable systemic failure tied to the rotting head of the franchise like before. They’ll eventually be swept out and we’ll get another shot at hitting a home run like every other normal fanbase. That’s really the important part to me. The hope will be back even if we make the wrong hires, the wrong draft picks, the wrong decisions on game day. The entire mindset changes because we aren’t stuck in purgatory with Snyder.

What sold me the most about Harris reading about him is he swings fror the fences with the FO, dudes with big reputations and gives them everything they want.  Also he's willing to be patient and take a step back to take two steps forward later.

He's not always going to hire the right people.  but the mindset is in the right place.

Among the series of reasons why Dan Snyder was the worst NFL owner of all time is he didn't care about the pedigree of who shops for the groceries.  It could be anyone as long as they'd hang with him and Dan himself would make some of the GM moves himself as we all know.  And he was cheap as heck as paying for scouting, etc.  And he didn't believe in building for the future.

Harris is night and day different reputation wise in just about everything.  I know some are frustrated that they aren't making moves right now with Ron.  But IMO its on point with Harris.  He likely wants to do a wide look at the best GM prospects in the league, and he can't do that yet.  It needs to be at the end of the season.  First he hires that person and then that person likely hires the coach. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rebranding over winning is more important to bring the fans back?  To each their own but in my circle its definitely not the case.  According to Keim, that's not how this ownership sees it in priority order by a long shot.  He's specifically talked about their priorities a bunch of times, I presume from conversations with them.  I know Sheehan talked to them.

1.  Winning and getting this organization on the right track.  2.  Improving the fan experience at the stadium.  3.  New stadium. I've heard are their top priorities by a mile.

And everything else including rebranding is a distant 4.  But clearly some fans are into the rebranding.  So I think there is a shot they get to it.  For me, I can care less.  But I know some do.   Sheehan has gone on a wild ride on that point he's gone from caring less about it to becoming all of a sudden obsessed with it this year.

I agree, at this point they are the Commanders, deal with it and the rebranding idea.

Everything should be distant to #1 with a little #2 mixed in as it already has. Jonathan Allen's post game rant isn't going help things. That's part of the reason something needs to occur before the season is a total loss. If you lose the team leaders, you lose the team and no FA will have interest in coming here just like during Dan's putrid ownership

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I agree, at this point they are the Commanders, deal with it and the rebranding idea.

Everything should be distant to #1 with a little #2 mixed in as it already has. Jonathan Allen's post game rant isn't going help things. That's part of the reason something needs to occur before the season is a total loss. If you lose the team leaders, you lose the team and no FA will have interest in coming here just like during Dan's putrid ownership

Keim rarely shares shares things without being in the know.  And he was clear that this ownership sees rebranding as distant from the other priorities.  It wouldn't surprise me if they ultimately do it but I've heard enough to know its not a front burner issue with this group.

They want to stop the losing brand with this organization.   My kid for example and a friend of mine's kid (talked to him about this recently) they want to see winning.  They are so used to so so or less than so so.   I am guessing if they want to win over the next generation, stop that losing brand.  

Not sure I agree about something needs to be done during the season.  Look I'd love it from a pure venting standpoint.  Ron seems oddly smug.  And I've gone from feeling bad for Ron even though I want him gone to I don't feel bad for Ron at all. 

But if Harris is going to do this right.  Who the heck is going to take over from the coaching staff?  Del Rio?  Bieniemy?  What have they earned.  It would be odd to hire someone from outside of the organization.  They can do what the Colts did, but do we want to do something that might give it more of a clownshow vibe?  That's what happened in Indy.

I don't think Jonathan Allen will think too little too late when they hire a new regime in January.  The talk was in late July that it was too late to replace Ron with Harris jumping in at that point.  I don't think Novemeber in the middle of the season is the better time.

I am not against doing it during the season but I'd do it towards the end, not yet.   The hard thing is who would replace him though?  The Jeff Saturday drill was an outlier versus how things typically are done.   Typically an assistant coach takes over.  Personally I got some reservations about that.  Lets say they go 3-0 with Del Rio or Bieniemy and then all of a sudden there is pressure to give them the gig next season.  I don't want either one to be the future HC.  I'd rather eliminate that as a possibility.

• Like 3

I am done sticking up for Ron as well, I am done with him.

I do not know what move(s) are doable at this point but there is a point when you must stop the bleeding. 

Just look at this site. some of the most dedicated fans and so many are beyond sick of the losing culture. Then get excited of the Dan departure yet as Allen stated, just more of the same.

Adding some things to the fan experience have gone a long way but only amount to a finger in on the holes in the dyke. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Chip Kelly hire happened while Howie was benched. They put him in an office away from everything and took all of his power away and gave it to Kelly. After the Chip Kelly experience was over, they brought him back out and stopped giving GM control to the coaches and put it all in Howies hands. It was good at first, because he was under Reid who made decent decisions and that's when he climbed the tree. Laurie hired Kelly and and Howie was in control for a year or two, put together one of the youngest rosters and won 10 games, but then they moved him to asst VP or something and he only did contracts. After Kelly got canned, he moved back into the GM role and was given full control.

Kelce talks about it in his famous SB speech.

Although I would wait until the offseason, if they lose this game, I think ownership may step in and say let's see what they can get for some of the guys on the roster.  There's already been an offer made for Sweat.  This game will be the tipping point, but of course in most of minds, this season is over and this coaching staff has to go

Edited by NoVaSkins21

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would be with you 99% of the time on something like this. Like who cares about the name right? But this is different. This is about scrubbing the last vestiges of the scent of Snyder out of our hair. It’s important to get every bit of it to give us the best chance becoming a respected franchise again. So, even the little things that don’t matter on the field should be addressed. If you are going to prioritize the stadium experience for example then why not this? Having a name to be proud of or not is part of the “experience“. Having people want to buy, and wear, your jerseys and other merchandise is important. These are the things I want the ownership group most focused on. “Winning“ will take care of itself when you simply hire a good GM, and get out of his way.

• Like 4