Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Preseason: The Commanders vs. The Ravens - The Commanders Strike Back!!!

zCommander

No idea who is going to get that 6th receiver spot.  Tinsley is going to be hard to cut, but we need someone to return punts and kicks.

Andre Jones is definitely making the team.  I'm more curious about whether KJ Henry can find a spot too, because he's on track for the PS right now.

JSW is a beast.  Was he the one who downed that punt on the one yard line?  The dude is just a solid player all around, and he is always doing good things when he rotates in.  We've been getting some defensive line gems at the end of the draft and those guys are critical for your defensive and special teams stable.

That fumble by Chris Rodriguez was painful, but I don't think it's going to cost him reps or role.  He's a strong ball carrier who just got unlucky.

The offensive line is going to be fine.  People were being ridiculously impatient with them, but they'll eventually come together and be competent.  They're still not there yet as run blockers, but the protections were solid.  The depth is OK too.  Backs did a good job in that regard too, and our QBs did a pretty good job reading the pressure tonight.  It's night and day how our QBs look now that they are under competent coaching and playcalling, compared to where they were the previous three years.  It's not controversial any more, but Scott Turner really was a horrible coach, and hiring him was the worst mistake Rivera made here.  Fixing that one mistake is gonna be good for multiple wins.

It was nice to see our first and second round picks make big plays to get us the ball back in the first half.

This tight end group is way better than most of us realized, including me.  It's becoming clear that Cole Turner is a gem, and I think Logan Thomas has the opportunity to tear it up this season.  This is a super tight end friendly offense, and it's starting to make sense why Travis Kelce has been putting up GOAT numbers in it.  Bates is a really good player too.  We're three deep in real quality, with several intriguing options for TE4.  These guys look as good as the backs and receivers do, despite their lack of pedigree.

Trenton Simpson was a steal for the Ravens at pick 86.  That was like 60 picks lower than he probably should have gone.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I just watched the end of the game and it appears to me that Troy Aikman is taking bong hits during the commercial breaks. Those eyes are red and glassy af. While at the same time Joe Buck is staring at him like he's still in love with him lol.

I like how you say “still in love with him” as if the expected state of being is for Buck to have fallen out of love with him. I root for love every time damn it! 

• Haha 2

Now, I left the DC area in 1979, but am still a skins fan, now living in New Zealand

Last week I couldnt get into the game. I thought maybe my long time absence finally made me not care.

But then I loved watching a preseason game again. Woohoo! HTTR

Fan since a 6 year old in 1972

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 6

My takeaways from the game:

1. Sam Howell is still too slow. It seems to take forever for him to work through his progressions. Makes it really hard on the O-line.  Dude is going to take some sacks this season. Ouch.

2. O-line is a weakness. Sam doesn't help the line, but the line is vulnerable to both edge speed and bull rush down the middle. Ouch.

3. Jackson is a cut above. Fun to see him play. Wish we had someone that crazy fast, agile and accurate! Amazing player.

• Thumb down 3