Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Preseason: The Commanders vs. The Ravens - The Commanders Strike Back!!!

zCommander

55 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

On the timeout called on Slye, the line judge came over to Ron, said something, Ron responded back, and it looked like the ref said “damn it” and “sorry”.  Don’t know what happened exactly, but I don’t think RR was trying to ice Slye, lol.

I wondered and originally thought the clock was running out.  Thanks for noticing that.

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Was I the only one who saw the interview with Josh Harris as, um, awkward?  He shook Buck's hand when he was simply making a hand gesture, Troy chuckled.  

He looked drunk and completely out of his depth.

I'm going to need him to stay out of the way for a while while he learns the ropes of the NFL.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Was I the only one who saw the interview with Josh Harris as, um, awkward?  He shook Buck's hand when he was simply making a hand gesture, Troy chuckled.  

The takeaway should be Howell exceeding expectations and the win.  Harris is probably still giddy from getting the team. Folks here said he was drunk. I called bunk. That was what I call dangerously sober.  At least he sacked up and went to a nationally televised? booth live and hung out and didn't hide in a glass bubble dancing by himself like a drunk fool.

image.jpeg.b5c7ac4084e352a7e7ad54094ba15822.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Going Commando said:

He looked drunk and completely out of his depth.

I'm going to need him to stay out of the way for a while while he learns the ropes of the NFL.

What a terrible take. We were told for years Dan Snyder was a fan and one of us. But he never once showed that. Josh Harris is already more likeable than Dan ever was. He's excited. He told us it's OUR team. Honestly, I can't with this take. 

• Like 5

I don't have an issue w/ the celly.

It was a wildly competitive game that clearly both sides wanted to win. When the opposing team is running all out blitz's every play and calling timeouts to wipe your 1st playcall on judgement downs, you get to celebrate when you overcome that.

Is it a lil tacky? Sure. But that's okay. Enjoy it for a day or two, then move on.

Except for Harbaugh. He is gonna feel this for a while. I can feel his seething rage simmer.

angy.jpg.52d45074599defb59f1327aa18c20e93.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

What a terrible take. We were told for years Dan Snyder was a fan and one of us. But he never once showed that. Josh Harris is already more likeable than Dan ever was. He's excited. He told us it's OUR team. Honestly, I can't with this take. 

Oh I'm not questioning his likability.  He seems like a nice guy, and I don't mind him having fun during the game.  But he also seems like he is completely new to this show and basically exudes a greenness I found surprising for someone who owns two other professional teams.  Shows what a different beast the NFL is compared to the NBA and NHL.  I've heard long term NFL owners speak like Jerruh and Arthur Blank and uh... it's not like that was.  It's clear to me that Ron and Mayhew are going to have to spend a ton of time teaching Harris about the NFL over the next couple of years.

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

Just now, Going Commando said:

Oh I'm not questioning his likability.  He seems like a nice guy, and I don't mind him having fun during the game.  But he also seems like he is completely new to this show and basically exudes a greenness I found surprising for someone who owns two other professional teams.  Shows what a different beast the NFL is compared to the NBA and NHL.  I've heard long term NFL owners speak like Jerruh and Arthur Blank and uh... it's not like that was.  It's clear to me that Ron and Mayhew are going to have to spend a ton of time teaching Harris about the NFL over the next couple of years.

I guess. I dunno. Maybe he's just awkward. Do we really need him to be like Jerry Jones? I get the feeling he just is this way. 

Edit* Snyder tried like hell to be like Jerry, but he isn't, so he wasn't. 

Second edit* I DEFINITELY don't want Harris taking cues from Ron on how to deal with media. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I could well be wrong, but I think it was just a big moment for him.  First game at FedEx field as the owner of his boyhood team, on Monday Night football, standing next to Aikman, being interviewed while his team is playing.  That’s a lot.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I could well be wrong, but I think it was just a big moment for him.  First game at FedEx field as the owner of his boyhood team, on Monday Night football, standing next to Aikman, being interviewed while his team is playing.  That’s a lot.

Yeah it is.  You kind of take for granted what a huge show the NFL is, especially MNF when you've been watching it for years.  But that moment kind of hit home that there is really nothing that comes close to a prime time NFL game in live entertainment in North America.  It's epic and Aikman and Buck are rock stars.

I'm excited for the team and I'm happy for Harris and his new ownership group.  It's been good for literally everyone that the Harris group bought the team.  But I definitely think he needs to take it slow over the next couple of years to learn the business and try and avoid the kind of mistakes that David Tepper and Jimmy Haslam made when they first got into the league.  Same for the Denver group, which already looks rocky after the steady long term ownership of the Bowlens.  If the goal really is to capitalize upon and hold revitalized fan interest in the team via early success, then I'm pretty convinced that our best opportunity to do that is to stick with Rivera and build upon what he's already put in place here.

Edited by Going Commando
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Harris's possible awkwardness on television is any indication of his knowledge/skillset/acumen when it comes to owning a sports franchise. Some people just aren't great in certain social situations.

I'm so glad Josh Harris bought the team but he doesn't speak very well and at first I ignored it but he appears to be a heavy drinker which when on TV he looks under the influence and when he opens his mouth he confirms he is under the influence..The guy can literally barely complete a sentence it's disturbing to watch....

4 minutes ago, lead commander said:

I'm so glad Josh Harris bought the team but he doesn't speak very well and at first I ignored it but he appears to be a heavy drinker which when on TV he looks under the influence and when he opens his mouth he confirms he is under the influence..The guy can literally barely complete a sentence it's disturbing to watch....

He may have been drinking at the game, I won’t pretend to know. I certainly joked about it last night. But he also just has a surfer dude drawl way of speaking for whatever reason and unless he has prepared comments, comes across as a little loosey goosey lol. I don’t think he’s actually drunk all the time, I think he can complete sentences fine (they just aren’t well-polished, pre-thought out sentences like his pressers) and I don’t think it was disturbing to watch. I don’t think he’s great in a press conference atmosphere with prepared statements either honestly. Just not his forte. But it’s not something I would think to worry about or be disturbed by lol

1 minute ago, Conn said:

He may have been drinking at the game, I won’t pretend to know. I certainly joked about it last night. But he also just has a surfer dude drawl way of speaking for whatever reason and unless he has prepared comments, comes across as a little loosey goosey lol. I don’t think he’s actually drunk all the time, I think he can complete sentences fine (they just aren’t well-polished, pre-thought out sentences like his pressers) and I don’t think it was disturbing to watch. I don’t think he’s great in a press conference atmosphere with prepared statements either honestly. Just not his forte. But it’s not something I would think to worry about or be disturbed by lol

That's Fair...

50 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah it is.  You kind of take for granted what a huge show the NFL is, especially MNF when you've been watching it for years.  But that moment kind of hit home that there is really nothing that comes close to a prime time NFL game in live entertainment in North America.  It's epic and Aikman and Buck are rock stars.

I'm excited for the team and I'm for Harris and his new ownership group.  It's been good for literally everyone that the Harris group bought the team.  But I definitely think he needs to take it slow over the next couple of years to learn the business and try and avoid the kind of mistakes that David Tepper and Jimmy Haslam made when they first got into the league.  Same for the Denver group, which already looks rocky after the steady long term ownership of the Bowlens.  If the goal really is to capitalize upon and hold revitalized fan interest in the team via early success, then I'm pretty convinced that our best opportunity to do that is to stick with Rivera and build upon what he's already put in place here.

I hear you, and I’m in a similar boat.  For me, I’m excited about the combo of youth/talent on the roster, Howell, EB’s offense (and changes to practice habits).  JDR has the D in a good place, the culture has done a 180, and ownership is kicking ***.  While I’m skeptical of this past draft, they’ve proven me (and others) wrong in the past, including finding high character guys and unexpected gems.  With Snyder gone (along with other changes), and a qb/offense with serious potential, maybe FA opens up starting this next offseason.  So there’s hope they can fix the oline (my one real complaint/concern) for next year.  I’m happy to ride the ups and downs this year, then see how they address the line and what this O looks like going into year 2.  Don’t love the idea of a 3rd OC in 3 years for Howell, or the possibility of using next year’s 1st (or more) on a qb.

Personally, I probably beef up the staff, bring in a GM consultant type, and see how the season goes.  If Howell and EB show a lot of good things and the season is respectable (vs a tough schedule), I probably would run it back again.  Tell Ron its a “prove it” year.

I do get the stance that we can do better though.  I get some of the angst with Rivera too, as well as the idea that 4 years should be enough time.  Looking forward to a more traditional structure (GM who then hires a HC), to fleshing out other things (analytics, scouting dept, etc), continued improvement of the fan experience, facilities and the way players are treated.  So I don’t mind the longer view.  If they move on from Ron, depending on how the season goes I could see my self having a small case of the what-ifs.  But whatever, the future will be bright.

apologies, just realized this isn’t the best thread for the topic…

Edited by skinny21

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

I like that he comes across as a real person.  And I'm hoping that he's going to approach his new job as the managing owner of an NFL franchise without a bunch of ego, and be willing to listen and learn.  I think he will.  And I think Ron is going to have a big job of acclimating Harris to the NFL, and that he can be a major resource for Harris if he'll use him.  It's not a part of the Ron tenure equation that I was considering before I started realizing how green Harris might actually be, but it reinforces what I already thought was the right course.

Edited by Going Commando
  • Like 2

The man shook an outreached hand. He didn't grab it from inside his pocket or anything. lol  Honest mistake anyone could make. Thought he came across as genuine and well, nervous perhaps. Who cares, really? If we see a wet spot growing from his groin area or something, on live tv, then we may revisit the topic. :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Harris has come off well in his public appearances IMO up to that point.   Jumping on 106.7, right after the purchase become complete, he was awesome.   The kick off event at Fedex, he was great as well.  Some of the more typically cynical local media members labeled his appearance as perfect. 

Buying fans beer, ice cream, watching the games in the stands with the fans.  PR wise home run stuff.

But going on sports live game broadcasts or MNF takes it up to a new level -- how many owners do we recall going on a national football broadcasts?   I gather its happened but I don't recall any off the top of my head. 

Harris by reputation in Philly-NJ wasn't known as much of a public speaker or for that matter being public period.  He was famous for his behind the scenes work not public stuff.  But after taking over from an owner, who was petrified to speak publicly and wanted to interfere and act like a douche behind the scenes in his castle without any scrutiny -- I gather Harris feels that transparency is in order and is going outside his comfort zone to do that.  And I think that's cool.  

He has done a really nice job so far.  I've been to multiple camps over the years.  This current one was the best -- free gifts, major fan interaction, a screen with music, etc.    He's already made upgrades to the stadium with more to come.  Keim expects a new facilty probably within 2 years.  He's clearly deep in negotation with 3 different juristictions about the stadium.   He's met with the players and went over their needs.  And they and the coaching staff really seemed to like him.

I got no downgrade of him because of the odd handshake incident.  He's been shaking so many fans hands, etc relating to the sale that I gather he went on automatic pilot when the hand was there. 

Ron is a more polished speaker no doubt.  Ron doesn't always say the smartest things but he's smoother than Harris no doubt.   Both nice guys by reputation and I think the two will get along for this season and then I expect Ron to be gone.  

I used to have to do a lot of public speaking.  The more you do, the more likely you are going to have a down moment or two.  It just comes with the turf. 

Guys that are successful like Josh Harris typically aren't terrified of mishaps in the process of chasing their goals -- the two things run hand in hand and come with the turf.  But its not a bad mistake, its just an awkward moment from him that's all. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I like that he comes across as a real person.  And I'm hoping that he's going to approach his new job as the managing owner of an NFL franchise without a bunch of ego, and be willing to listen and learn.  I think he will.  And I think Ron is going to have a big job of acclimating Harris to the NFL, and that he can be a major resource for Harris if he'll use him.  It's not a part of the Ron tenure equation that I was considering before I started realizing how green Harris might actually be, but it reinforces what I already thought was the right course.

I get what you’re saying and why that’s where you’re coming from, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that your take on the situation reinforces what you already thought was the right path with Rivera sticking around. I’m not going to equate Harris’ awkwardness and discomfort in front of a camera with his acumen to “acclimate” to the league and run the team. He’ll have plenty of advisors for things like that. There’s not an owner in the league who can actually talk about their roster or the game of football and not get eyerolls from me. Jerry included. It’s not their job. That belongs to the people under them, and I’m not going to assume Harris can’t hire good people or take good advice just because he’s not much of a public speaker. This idea that Rivera needs to hold his hand as he learns the league is over the top. Rivera sucks in front of a camera as well and that doesn’t seem to deter your appreciation of his organization-running acumen. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Hey the man just forked over 6 point 5 billion. Let him have a little fun. 

Like to see more of him out there. Dan did none of this and we need a leader instead of a jackass who rarely has done any interviews.  let the football people do the football talk of XO's ....

22 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Josh was nervous, just because he's a billionaire doesn't mean he's used to being on camera in front of millions of people. 

Seriously.

We've gone from complaining about an owner who avoids sunlight like Dracula to nitpicking the new guy for everything he does in public.

I don't want to see him on the sideline, either, if for any reason he just seems to be an easy target for folks looking for something to talk about. 

Go save the franchise and ignore the haters, bro.

• Like 2