Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Preseason: The Commanders vs. The Ravens - The Commanders Strike Back!!!

zCommander

46 minutes ago, newday said:

My takeaways from the game:

1. Sam Howell is still too slow. It seems to take forever for him to work through his progressions. Makes it really hard on the O-line.  Dude is going to take some sacks this season. Ouch.

2. O-line is a weakness. Sam doesn't help the line, but the line is vulnerable to both edge speed and bull rush down the middle. Ouch.

3. Jackson is a cut above. Fun to see him play. Wish we had someone that crazy fast, agile and accurate! Amazing player.

debbie-downer.gif

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Who would have thought we would be 2-0 without Apke?

The spirit of Reed Doughty lingers in FedEx, he watches over us.

The Ravens keep saying they don't care about this win, but the giant pile of salt coming from the Raven's community says different.

• Like 2

Of the starting O the best unit was easily the Oline. They were God tier, especially in Pass block. Granted it was against backups, but you still gotta give some credit for that kind of performance. They gave massive clean pockets and all day and change to throw the ball. Any worry about playing your QB in preseason is smashed when you get protection like that.

The RBs were good to. Good avgs for a few of them, and although C-Rod fumbled, it was not terrible. He had 2 hands on the ball for days and just got overpowered. More of a welcome to the NFL kinda moment more than him doing something wrong, he just had to learn how much stronger guys are at the next level. They tried to work in B Rob as a passer but from a schematic standpoint I don't like that a ton. Gibby was used in multiple ways and showed why he is a weapon.

Howell looked good, but I actually liked his performance in the first game better. He started out w/ great rhythm and timing, hitting guys once he got to the end of his drop but once he realized the quality of block he was getting he started to hold the ball for an absolute eternity. He was able to do that to great success due to the blocking he was getting, but it pretty much shattered his timing on most plays and lead to a few problems stemming from absolute blind faith in the oline. My issue w/ this is he won't get this kind of protection playing vs ones, so the groove he settled into here is not emblematic of the play style we are likely going to need from Howell. He was given all day out there, and he started taking all day to decide where to go with the ball. If that does not become a habit, no problem.

The WRs were OK. Nothing special. I feel like they should have gotten open faster and provided easier and faster judgements from Howell playing vs 2s.

TEs ghosted. They had like 3 recs. I'm the first guy to say I'm low on the group but I don't see how that happens vs 2s.

Slye had some ice water, Way MVP'd that dribbler, I can't even look Cheeseman in the eyes right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

The RBs were good to. Good avgs for a few of them, and although C-Rod fumbled, it was not terrible. He had 2 hands on the ball for days and just got overpowered. More of a welcome to the NFL kinda moment more than him doing something wrong, he just had to learn how much stronger guys are at the next level. They tried to work in B Rob as a passer but from a schematic standpoint I don't like that a ton.

There was one play where B Rob stepped up and stoned the free rusher, I remember that play in particular standing out from him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newday said:

3. Jackson is a cut above. Fun to see him play. Wish we had someone that crazy fast, agile and accurate! Amazing player.

Are you talking about Josh Jackson? We did have that, and it wasn't special.  Half the league has had him at some point or other.

There are levels/high lows built into most of our passing concepts given this is an Andy Reid passing game.  Sam pushes the ball down field because he's aggressive and has the arm to wait on those highs to develop.  He was fantastic last night, and with the exception of two snaps, he did a good job managing his pressures.  He was absolutely money with his ball placement to each level too, and only missed on one throw.  There is nothing worth complaining about in his performance.

• Like 2

Maybe i am a bit biased because I've been predisposed some on Howell based on camp reports and my own takes -- but to me he looked like a franchise QB.  Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy.

I've watched a lot of our QBs in camp over the years and it was hard to miss how many of them simply weren't that accurate.   You could see the struggles from Haskins (RIP), Sudfeld, the wild inconsistency from Heinicke and Fitz and Keenum.  And even Colt at times.  Kirk was by a mile in the camps I watched the most consistent and accurate.

When Keim says from his own much deeper than mine experience (he's obviously watched much more camp over the years than me) that Howell reminds him of Kirk in the context of accuracy-quick twitch-work ethic.  It makes sense to me.

Yeah it was against 2nd teamer Ravens but still accuracy is what it is.  Mobility is what it is.   Arm strength is what it is.  And its all good to my eyes.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

but to me he looked like a franchise QB.  Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy.

Same for me.  I’m not fully convinced because of the small doses we’ve seen and the level of competition, but he certainly passes the “eye test”.  He looks the part 💯.

Is he going to hold the ball too long and take bad sacks?  Likely, he’s only 22.  But what I did like is him taking accountability about them and referring to them as his own mistakes as opposed to we, us, etc.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe i am a bit biased because I've been predisposed some on Howell based on camp reports and my own takes -- but to me he looked like a franchise QB.  Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy.

I've watched a lot of our QBs in camp over the years and it was hard to miss how many of them simply weren't thhat accurate.   You could see the struggles from Haskins (RIP), Sudfeld, the wild inconsistency from Heinicke and Fitz and Keenum.  And even Colt at times.  Kirk was by a mile in the camps I watched the most consistent and accurate.

When Keim says from his own much deeper than mine experience (he's obvuously watched much more camp over the years than me) that Howell reminds him of Krik in the context of accuracy-quick twitch-work ethic.  It makes sense to me.

Yeah it was against 2nd teamer Ravens but still accuracy is what it is.  Mobility is what it is.   Arm strength is what it is.  And its all good to my eyes.

My only concern with him at this point is the amount of time he holds on to the ball. I think he is just extremely competitive and is hesitant to ever give up on a play. This one "flaw' will diminish over time. There will be some sacks early in the season when the defenses are a bit quicker and more athletic than what he has been exposed to so far and he will not be able to hold on to the ball so long. Im confident that he will adjust to this as he gains experience. There is no denying his physical and mental traits through. Arm strength, accuracy, pocket awareness (despite holding on to the ball), leads by example, maturity. Seems able to shrug off bad plays. I think he is a legit starting QB.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Josh Jackson

Johnson....its Josh Johnson, not Jackson, Johnson. We once had Josh Johnson, never Josh Jackson...he's an NBA player. The Ravens now have Josh Johnson, and Lamar Jackson. Jackson and Johnson, not Jackson and Jackson. 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Johnson....its Josh Johnson, not Jackson, Johnson. We once had Josh Johnson, never Josh Jackson...he's an NBA player. The Ravens now have Josh Johnson, and Lamar Jackson. Jackson and Johnson, not Jackson and Jackson. 

I think everyone has had Josh Johnson at some point.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Same for me.  I’m not fully convinced because of the small doses we’ve seen and the level of competition, but he certainly passes the “eye test”.  He looks the part 💯.

Is he going to hold the ball too long and take bad sacks?  Likely, he’s only 22.  But what I did like is him taking accountability about them and referring to them as his own mistakes as opposed to we, us, etc.  

He will likely get sacked much because of holding on to the ball and the porous O line.   He will throw his share of picks.  Like any young QB I expect some ups and downs. But right now, I'd put money that he has a decent shot to be the answer.  I am not looking for the next Mahomes.  But if he's Kirk level or Carr or name that 10-14 level QB, that's enough for me for now.

The big test of course will be when the real bullets-game planning takes place.  I'd need to see half a season to land a verdict on that front.  But to my eyes its trending in the right direction and big time so.     

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Whups you're right.  But now I'm totally confused about who that poster was talking about, because a QB named Jackson never played in that game.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

And neither Jackson or Johnson would be considered accurate QBs. That was one bizarre take.

12 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

My only concern with him at this point is the amount of time he holds on to the ball. I think he is just extremely competitive and is hesitant to ever give up on a play. This one "flaw' will diminish over time. There will be some sacks early in the season when the defenses are a bit quicker and more athletic than what he has been exposed to so far and he will not be able to hold on to the ball so long. Im confident that he will adjust to this as he gains experience. There is no denying his physical and mental traits through. Arm strength, accuracy, pocket awareness (despite holding on to the ball), leads by example, maturity. Seems able to shrug off bad plays. I think he is a legit starting QB.

I think that's partly a function of him trusting his mobility and that he can dodge pressure and make plays down the field.  I was discussing the same point with another poster who expects Sam not to take many sacks because of his mobility and the reliance of the quick game.  Yeah the quick game will help to some extent. 

But the mobility can cut both ways as to sacks.  Some mobile QBs do tend to take a large number of sacks because they trust their ability to hold on to the ball a bit longer. 

Also younger QBs naturally have a learning curve as to setting protections.

I can live with it though.  For a QB he has four variables I treasure.

A.  Accuracy

B. Arm Strength

C. Quick Twitch

D. Mobility

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The junkies are on right now criticizing the team for being happy that they won. I expected that from the national media, but not from our own guys. If they keep up this negativity...I'll tune in elsewhere.

I fell asleep in the 3rd quarter because I had to drive into the office this morning.  I woke up and saw we won on the news this morning, and can’t lie - didn’t love the celebration myself.  At the end of the day, I don’t think it really means anything good or bad - just seemed a bit excessive.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I fell asleep in the 3rd quarter because I had to drive into the office this morning.  I woke up and saw we won on the news this morning, and can’t lie - didn’t love the celebration myself.  At the end of the day, I don’t think it really means anything good or bad - just seemed a bit excessive.

I was on the edge of my seat more than any preseason game I ever watched.  100% because of ending the Ravens streak.

As for the value of the win, i would give it some merit if the Ravens played their first stringers but they didn't.  We had our first string offense against their 2nd teams for a full half. 

To me the positive takeaway is Howell.  Granted preseason but he showcased his traits. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, newday said:

My takeaways from the game:

1. Sam Howell is still too slow. It seems to take forever for him to work through his progressions. Makes it really hard on the O-line.  Dude is going to take some sacks this season. Ouch.

2. O-line is a weakness. Sam doesn't help the line, but the line is vulnerable to both edge speed and bull rush down the middle. Ouch.

Did you think Josh Johnson was Lamar Jackson last night? lol

• Haha 2

image.gif.01c8f4649bcee5e6794b946457c3288b.gif

I am glad the players celebrated a lowly preseason win. The Ravens clearly value winning and its nice to end their stupid record - which has come at our expense more than other teams. More than that, the players have been stuck working in the ****tiest company in the NFL and they see a light at the end of the tunnel. JUST LIKE US FANS they celebrated.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The junkies are on right now criticizing the team for being happy that they won. I expected that from the national media, but not from our own guys. If they keep up this negativity...I'll tune in elsewhere.

EB debating the others who are discouting Howell because he's a 5th rounder.  And they are touting how other no name QBs have had good preseason games, too.

The 5th round stuff for me is so passe.  And to me its about traits.  This isn't like watching Colt McCoy float passes around the field.  Howell can zing it and he can move. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1