Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Preseason: The Commanders vs. The Ravens - The Commanders Strike Back!!!

zCommander

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Scary Terry looks to be ok. MRI shows no major damage. Rest him for the next couple weeks.

Is there a new report? We heard there was no serious damage but not sure we have heard how long they think he is likely to be out?

• Thanks 1

I watched the game on Gamepass as usual, is it normal for Aikman and Buck to only talk about the offense? I was trying to work out who was making our tackles but they only ever mentioned the receivers/backs so I've got very little idea who was playing on defense. The pictures also rarely showed the players' numbers.

2 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I watched the game on Gamepass as usual, is it normal for Aikman and Buck to only talk about the offense? I was trying to work out who was making our tackles but they only ever mentioned the receivers/backs so I've got very little idea who was playing on defense. The pictures also rarely showed the players' numbers.

I think during the preseason they don't bother to do much game prep.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

Aikman being an ex-QB tends to look at the game through the prism of the offense. Most (all? is there a defensive ex-player doing color?) color guys come from the offensive side of the ball and the media coverage generally is increasingly about fantasy points, touchdowns and scoring. Rule changes make it easier for the offense etc. Just look at the growth in popularity of the Redzone channel - just watch games when teams get in scoring position never mind how they got there! 

Tough to play defense these days. 

Thats enough "Old man screams at cloud" from me for today ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/22/2023 at 8:31 AM, KDawg said:

I understand a lot of folks weren't aware of that because they don't study the draft or watch college ball, and that makes sense.

What's funny is pretty much every talking head and football expert gave Sam zero credibility over the last several months. Even a guy like Baldinger was on Grant and Danny a few months ago saying he didn't understand why we would go with Howell and he didn't believe Howell would be our starter and now he's on the same show this week praising him.

I never watched Sam play in college, I had no idea what to expect but the fact so many who are supposed to be in the know missed on him is a head scratcher.

I didn't hear anyone outside of the Commanders or Tarheels bubble say they think Sam is ready to lead an NFL team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I didn't hear anyone outside of the Commanders or Tarheels bubble say they think Sam is ready to lead an NFL team.

Which is strange given he was a near consensus to be a first round pick among draft ‘gurus’ (including McShay and Kiper) after his Sophomore season.  

It’s not like he’s some guy who has come out of nowhere.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, MartinC said:

Aikman being an ex-QB tends to look at the game through the prism of the offense. Most (all? is there a defensive ex-player doing color?) color guys come from the offensive side of the ball and the media coverage generally is increasingly about fantasy points, touchdowns and scoring. Rule changes make it easier for the offense etc. Just look at the growth in popularity of the Redzone channel - just watch games when teams get in scoring position never mind how they got there! 

Tough to play defense these days. 

Thats enough "Old man screams at cloud" from me for today ...

Defense is harder and harder. As a DC it's becoming really difficult.

You aren't allowed to hit a receiver anymore in HS ball. You can wrap them up (which means the defender has to stop their feet and the receiver may catch the ball in stride and run over the defender) or the defender can strike the receiver with double open palms to disrupt the catch.

You cannot make contact with a shoulder pad, forearm, closed hand.

I am all for safety, but at this point you may as well just give the offense points. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You aren't allowed to hit a receiver anymore in HS ball. You can wrap them up (which means the defender has to stop their feet and the receiver may catch the ball in stride and run over the defender) or the defender can strike the receiver with double open palms to disrupt the catch.

I am all for safety, but at this point you may as well just give the offense points. 

If they are doing all of this, just have them play flag football. It really is ridiculous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I wasn’t aware they had stopped hits on receivers! I kind of wish they’d done that 30odd years ago 😂

Mind you when I played receiver I got hurt more attempting to block than being hit while making catches. 

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2023 at 11:35 AM, MartinC said:

Is there a new report? We heard there was no serious damage but not sure we have heard how long they think he is likely to be out?

was it Samuel in recent years that got the turf toe for us and was out for a year and a half? Samuel or whoever im thinking of...I swear he took the exact same hit on the back of his raised planted foot.

Im holding my breath

19 minutes ago, dunfer said:

was it Samuel in recent years that got the turf toe for us and was out for a year and a half? Samuel or whoever im thinking of...I swear he took the exact same hit on the back of his raised planted foot.

Im holding my breath

Not sure it was Samuel although he has had numerous injuries. Turf toe is always a more serious injury than it sounds or the perception some have of it, it can be a lingering injury.

click the link for his injury history spelled out 

https://riggosrag.com/2022/01/28/curtis-samuel-injury-history-updates/

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Not sure it was Samuel although he has had numerous injuries. Turf toe is always a more serious injury than it sounds or the perception some have of it, it can be a lingering injury.

click the link for his injury history spelled out 

https://riggosrag.com/2022/01/28/curtis-samuel-injury-history-updates/

at least our wr corp is deep. hate that it happened to our only ****ing seasoned star in second quarter of second preseason, but get well Terry

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dunfer said:

at least our wr corp is deep. hate that it happened to our only ****ing seasoned star in second quarter of second preseason, but get well Terry

We have Jon Allen as well who is a nationally recognized star. He has plantar fasciitis …