Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The Magic thing is a pretty fun little twist to his life story, too.

Jack Kent Cooke owned the Lakers leading into the Magic Johnson draft. His staff (not sure about JKC himself) that was in place didn’t want to draft Magic. 

Jerry Bus bought the team and Jerry West still didn’t want Magic. West resigned and they hired a guy who wanted Magic on the team and the owner got his wish and drafted Magic.

JKC passed and the Redskins changed hands to Snyder. And now Snyder is gone and Magic owns the team that JKC (a guy who’s staff didn’t want him) once owned.

Winning Time, great entertaining series about the Lakers showcases this in the first two episides.  the whole series means more to me now than Magic is an owner here.  Much of that series is about Magic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Winning Time, great entertaining series about the Lakers showcases this in the first two episides.  the whole series means more to me now than Magic is an owner here.  Much of that series is about Magic.

It’s a great show.  The book that the show is based off of has an interesting quip about JKC.  Basically, John Kent Cooke was NEVER getting the team.  JKC hated nepotism.  He was never going to will the team to his son

• Like 1

Ron’s tenure here will end naturally and it will be because he earned it.

Only thing to play out is what kind of ending?

A sad ending like Carolina? A happy ending where Ron leaves on his own terms? Or a really happy ending, where Ron leaves after a title?

You know I expect the sad ending but whatever happens, it will be naturally.

17 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

A sad ending like Carolina? A happy ending where Ron leaves on his own terms? Or a really happy ending, where Ron leaves after a title?

1jwzcm.gif

• Haha 2

Listened to Louis Reddick.

He's high on this team but also all the rest of the NFC East including saying the Giants offense is going to be a lot better.  He said this team is the one in the division that no one is talking about and he expects them to surprise.

Interesting that he said he spoke to people close to the team and they are feeling good about the interior but have concerns about the tackle spot.  That echoes most of the local media so I gather they are hearing that from the team.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Not sure if this is the right thread

injury report

Commanders-Cardinals Week 1 injury report

Sep 06, 2023 at 04:19 PM

PlayerInjuryWednesdayThursdayFridayGame Status

WR Terry McLaurinToeLimited

DE Chase YoungNeckLimited

WR Dax MilneGroinDNP

CB Benjamin St-JusteAnkle Full

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Not sure if this is the right thread

injury report

Commanders-Cardinals Week 1 injury report

Sep 06, 2023 at 04:19 PM

PlayerInjuryWednesdayThursdayFridayGame Status

WR Terry McLaurinToeLimited

DE Chase YoungNeckLimited

WR Dax MilneGroinDNP

CB Benjamin St-JusteAnkle Full

Man, can you imagine if Crowder was brought in purely to be a part-time fill-in PR for Dax and his groin strain?  Talk about humbling…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's high on this team but also all the rest of the NFC East including saying the Giants offense is going to be a lot better.  He said this team is the one in the division that no one is talking about and he expects them to surprise.

Interesting that he said he spoke to people close to the team and they are feeling good about the interior but have concerns about the tackle spot.  That echoes most of the local media so I gather they are hearing that from the team.  

When has Louis Reddick not been high on any team? I know he's been high on our team in years when we've been awful. I think he's just sort of a natural people pleaser.

Our two best OL were supposedly Gates and Cosmi, so it's not surprising that they like the interior the most. If Charles winds up being the 3rd best OL on this team, then we're in a pickle. (Either that or he actually developed like crazy or something)

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

RonBot alert! Out of nowhere off topic random post about Ron!

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

When has Louis Reddick not been high on any team? I know he's been high on our team in years when we've been awful. I think he's just sort of a natural people pleaser.

Our two best OL were supposedly Gates and Cosmi, so it's not surprising that they like the interior the most. If Charles winds up being the 3rd best OL on this team, then we're in a pickle. (Either that or he actually developed like crazy or something)

As I mentioned in another post -- liking the interior but not so much the exterior is sort of a theme the deeper camp has gone with some.  The idea that Reddick referenced the same point -- not because it was his opinion but it was what he he heard from people he knows with the team (close to it) I found interesting.  I know from other comments that he is friendly and talked at times with Bieniemy.   Maybe its not him but someone else.  But I believe him when he said its something he's heard.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not as plugged in/well-read as you are (by a mile), and my feel is that it is more, "the interior we can move out of the ICU, the tackles are still in the ER"

Again, my limited take, but in the Philly market at least, that's what I am getting.

Am I right on that, or do people sincerely feel that the interior is top-16 in the league?

EDIT: Or is it more of a "kickoff is tomorrow so everyone has a chance"-type thing?

Edited by NewCliche21

8 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Not as plugged in/well-read as you are (by a mile), and my feel is that it is more, "the interior we can move out of the ICU, the tackles are still in the ER"

Again, my limited take, but in the Philly market at least, that's what I am getting.

Am I right on that, or do people sincerely feel that the interior is top-16 in the league? 

I get the vibe that there is some cautious optimism about Charles.  He is having his best camp.  But can he stay healthy?  For Cosmi its he's good but can he stay healthy?  Gates is OK, not great but OK enough but brings some needed personality to the unit.  Serious concerns about Wylie.  For some reason some concerns about Leno.

I don't sense any enthusiasm from the local media for the unit as a whole aside from Logan Paulsen

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Dude you really got to do something about your crystal ball... It keeps on repeating the same thing over and over again!

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the vibe that there is some cautious optimism about Charles.  He is having his best camp.  But can he stay healthy?  For Cosmi its he's good but can he stay healthy?  Gates is OK, not great but OK enough but brings some needed personality to the unit.  Serious concerns about Wylie.  For some reason some concerns about Leno.

I don't sense any enthusiasm from the local media for the unit as a whole aside from Logan Paulsen

Thank you! So we're looking at, on a grading scale, a C- line with the interiors being a C and outside looks like a pair of D+'s?  From Paulsen I get more of a, "The line is whatever, but Bienemy and his scheming may be a bigger factor than people are seeing since the games aren't being played." 

I also think I may be having a little bit of an anxiety of another Al Saunders-esque expectation and deflation. I remember being at opening day in 2006 and just hearing about how revolutionary Saunders was going to make the team, and on either our first play or one of our first plays, we did all this pre-snap motion and the crowd was cheering like, "Hell yeah we've got something great going here!" until we didn't get that.  What a bummer.

12 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Thank you! So we're looking at, on a grading scale, a C- line with the interiors being a C and outside looks like a pair of D+'s?  From Paulsen I get more of a, "The line is whatever, but Bienemy and his scheming may be a bigger factor than people are seeing since the games aren't being played." 

I also think I may be having a little bit of an anxiety of another Al Saunders-esque expectation and deflation. I remember being at opening day in 2006 and just hearing about how revolutionary Saunders was going to make the team, and on either our first play or one of our first plays, we did all this pre-snap motion and the crowd was cheering like, "Hell yeah we've got something great going here!" until we didn't get that.  What a bummer.

I get the vibe they think Charles B if he stays on this track, Cosmi is a B too maybe better but can hey stay healthy?   Gates C but he gets extra credit for his leadership.  Wylie D.  Leno normally a B minus but has he lost a step where he's now a C?

Logan seems smitten by Bieniemy and a narrative that the O line as a unit us better than the individual parts.  But he's on an island on that one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not sure how you’d deduce that from his post. Confidence needs to be communicated differently in different situations. I love quiet confidence and boisterous confidence. All depends on where.

And Deion is obviously doing something right.

Nobody gives a crap about Deion vis a vis Ron Rivera, or his coaching.  Conn brought him up to mock Rivera and offered Deion as the model of confidence.  Conn made a drive-by comment to insult Rivera because he can't stand the man.  It's not really worth a discussion.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Nobody gives a crap about Deion vis a vis Ron Rivera, or his coaching.  Conn brought him up to mock Rivera and offered Deion as the model of confidence.  Conn made a drive-by comment to insult Rivera because he can't stand the man.  It's not really worth a discussion.

I can’t speak for Conn, but he’s historically been one of the more supportive posters regarding Rivera.  He’s recently soured, yes - but his comment was accurate.  Rivera regularly puts his foot in his mouth publicly and nothing about his demeanor indicates confidence.  I also have been  pretty soft on Ron over the years, but he’s simply not been good in front of the mic for a long while.

• Thanks 1