Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Louis Reddick.

He's high on this team but also all the rest of the NFC East including saying the Giants offense is going to be a lot better.  He said this team is the one in the division that no one is talking about and he expects them to surprise.

Interesting that he said he spoke to people close to the team and they are feeling good about the interior but have concerns about the tackle spot.  That echoes most of the local media so I gather they are hearing that from the team.  

It's possible that the coaching staff is betting on a strong interior and EB's system emphasizing RB & TE chipping defensive ends to help out the weaker tackles. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

It's possible that the coaching staff is betting on a strong interior and EB's system emphasizing RB & TE chipping defensive ends to help out the weaker tackles. 

I think it's about the fact that our best athletes on the OL are the guards, and that tracks with the scheme KC runs, where Thuney and Smith are one of the most athletic guard tandems in the league.  They give their hard blocks to the guards, and it sounds like we will too.  On the outside, raw athleticism takes a back seat to size, length, and technique because pass pro is the priority for their tackles.  Orlando Brown Jr might be the least athletic OL in the league, but he's a superior technician and King sized tackle.

You're right that EB has designed the offense for the backs to chip the edges to help out the tackles in pass pro.  Brian Robinson directly said so, and they will be regular blocks depending on the match ups.  Robinson's strength as a blocker is why I'm patient with him even though I don't think he's anything special at all as a runner.  He's an animal picking up the blitz and hits pretty hard as a chipper.  There was a play in preseason where the loudest and most violent hit of the game was him popping a blitzing linebacker.  Pretty sure it was against the Bengals.  I hope fans are patient with him if his rushing stats continue to suck.  No matter what, he blocks well and his hands are pretty good.

BTW, check out who Joe Thuney's closest spider chart comparison is: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/joe-thuney

Those traits are why it's important to be patient with prospects rather than give up on them in their first training camp.  Daniels has the athletic tools to eventually be a starter in our system, and guys like that don't grow on trees.

P.P.S. I noticed that Ricky Stromberg's RAS score inputs are wrong when I looked at his spider chart.  For some reason the RAS score guy used incorrect 10 yard split and 3 cone times that were much faster than Ricky's real times.  The speed and agility portions of his RAS score are way off as a result.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I think it's about the fact that our best athletes on the OL are the guards, and that tracks with the scheme KC runs, where Thuney and Smith are one of the most athletic guard tandems in the league.  They give their hard blocks to the guards, and it sounds like we will too.  On the outside, raw athleticism takes a back seat to size, length, and technique because pass pro is the priority for their tackles.  Orlando Brown Jr might be the least athletic OL in the league, but he's a superior technician and King sized tackle.

You're right that EB has designed the offense for the backs to chip the edges to help out the tackles in pass pro.  Brian Robinson directly said so, and they will be regular blocks depending on the match ups.  Robinson's strength as a blocker is why I'm patient with him even though I don't think he's anything special at all as a runner.  He's an animal picking up the blitz and hits pretty hard as a chipper.  There was a play in preseason where the loudest and most violent hit of the game was him popping a blitzing linebacker.  Pretty sure it was against the Bengals.  I hope fans are patient with him if his rushing stats continue to suck.  No matter what, he blocks well and his hands are pretty good.

BTW, check out who Joe Thuney's closest spider chart comparison is: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/joe-thuney

Those traits are why it's important to be patient with prospects rather than give up on them in their first training camp.  Daniels has the athletic tools to eventually be a starter in our system, and guys like that don't grow on trees.

P.P.S. I noticed that Ricky Stromberg's RAS score inputs are wrong when I looked at his spider chart.  For some reason the RAS score guy used incorrect 10 yard split and 3 cone times that were much faster than Ricky's real times.  The speed and agility portions of his RAS score are way off as a result.

RAS does get some wrong numbers at times, but it looks like their numbers are slower than Ricky's real times?

image.png.5c087ed4132974b1f0100aeed0f76448.png

Here are the numbers from Ricky's pro day:

image.png.7440ab9265f264ff020a7784e337c498.png

I find it funny that Thuney's best comparison according to mockdraftable is our 4th rounder Braeden Daniels.

18 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

RAS does get some wrong numbers at times, but it looks like their numbers are slower than Ricky's real times?

image.png.5c087ed4132974b1f0100aeed0f76448.png

Here are the numbers from Ricky's pro day:

image.png.7440ab9265f264ff020a7784e337c498.png

I find it funny that Thuney's best comparison according to mockdraftable is our 4th rounder Braeden Daniels.

It's a shame Daniels couldn't have shown a little more in preseason and not gotten hurt. He might have been able to earn play time on the outside if our tackles falter as many suggest could easily occur. 

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It's a shame Daniels couldn't have shown a little more in preseason and not gotten hurt. He might have been able to earn play time on the outside if our tackles falter as many suggest could easily occur. 

He doesn't have an OT body though, so it's an uphill battle. I believe they just rolled the dice with the best movement skills left in the draft as a raw lump of clay and are hoping to mold it into something eventually. I doubt it's at OT though.

I'm excited for next years draft. No matter where our pick in the 1st round is, it seems like we've got serious OT talent waiting for us.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

Woh ok...hasn't he normally (over the past several years) been fairly negative of our OL, even when we had a solid unit? That seems like uncharacteristic praise from him.

• Like 4

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

He doesn't have an OT body though, so it's an uphill battle. I believe they just rolled the dice with the best movement skills left in the draft as a raw lump of clay and are hoping to mold it into something eventually. I doubt it's at OT though.

I'm excited for next years draft. No matter where our pick in the 1st round is, it seems like we've got serious OT talent waiting for us.

No argument here, I was not a fan at all of the pick. I just had hoped he could something, he didn't other than get injured. Our tackle position is just so meh at best. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I think he projects more as a guard than a tackle in the NFL. Being on IR this year is the best thing for him and the team - get him a year in an NFL weight program, add 15-20 lbs of muscle and then lets see.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Hoping the game vs the Bills isn't full of WNY'ers as usual... hoping for more like a Caps/Sabres game where the home team crowd is stronger.

Bills Mafia is strong, so I think there’ll be a good amount of Bills fans at Fed-Ex Week 3.  Remember, Buffalo only comes to DC every 8 years, so there will be a decent amount of Bills fans living in the DC area hyped up to see their team live in person.  It is good that the game is almost a sellout, so that means it won’t be an overwhelming amount of opposing fans like when the Eagles or Cowboys fans overtake Fed-Ex.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

Hoping the game vs the Bills isn't full of WNY'ers as usual... hoping for more like a Caps/Sabres game where the home team crowd is stronger.

Those Buffalo fans are pesky. IIRC they used to even invade caps games in sizable numbers on week nights. Don't you people have jobs? #Caddyshack Sure they aren't Notre Dame fans but i fear we will hear em. It will be an interesting dynamic to see play out this year. All those ****ing away fans that hate their ****ty cities so much that they come to ****ing RALJON probably bought tickets before the ownership change thinking it will be like always, easy to over run our run down stadium and dejected fans. It may be a battle royal week 3 so plan a shank peace offering. Luckily Arizona fans have been neutered by not just tanking this year but from being the punching bag in the NFC east all those years. Sunday may be the best represented home game... maybe in a decade and maybe all season.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 1

Don't remember who, might have been Keim who made a good point.  A lot of visiting fans scooped up tickets prior to the official owner changed and before there was this ground swell.  People were delaying.  We probably won't feel the full effect of a stadium with higher percentage of our fans until next year. 

Oh and have to start winning home games.  LOL

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Those Buffalo fans are pesky. IIRC they used to even invade caps games in sizable numbers on week nights. Don't you people have jobs?

I was at the Caps/Sabres game in 2007 (in DC) when Buffalo clinched the Presidents Trophy. It was a Sunday matinee game... may as well have been a Buffalo home game. I don't even know if their typical home games are as well-attended... :rofl89:

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

I was at the Caps/Sabres game in 2007 (in DC) when Buffalo clinched the Presidents Trophy. It was a Sunday matinee game... may as well have been a Buffalo home game. I don't even know if their typical home games are as well-attended... :rofl89:

They are, because what the **** else is there to do in Buffalo NY?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, ntotoro said:

The Bills fans who wanted to come to the game bought tickets when they were made available months before the ownership change. So, there will be plenty of Bills fans there.

Bills Mafia is the single most annoying fan base in the NFL.  Because they get chesty every year and then fall short. Dallas is second, and the Steelers are third.  

1 hour ago, Conn said:

They are, because what the **** else is there to do in Buffalo NY?? 

Go over Niagara Falls in a barrel? 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Bills Mafia is the single most annoying fan base in the NFL.  Because they get chesty every year and then fall short. Dallas is second, and the Steelers are third.  

Tell me you've never been near Philly without telling me you've never been near Philly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Tell me you've never been near Philly without telling me you've never been near Philly.

I’ve been to Philly.  Actually was there yesterday.

Philly fans are obnoxious.  

Bills fans are another level obnoxious given they’ve never won anything ever, spent 30 years as irrelevant as we were, maybe even more so.  

I have no use for Bills Mafia.