Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Persnicked.

... I'm not sure that's an actual word.  Persnickety is.  Persnicked?  Hmmm.  I couldn't find it in the dictionary.  

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Was that really released by the official Cardinal's social media account?  

Yeesh.  

51 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Wonder what Dan is thinking right about now? The only thing it really took was for one man to leave.

When was the last time Fed Ex was sold out? No, Beyoncé concert doesn't count.

Wright said they were essentially sold out last year against the Eagles .. But it was all Eagles fans  

The last time I remember the stadium being really hopping during a regular season game was the SNF game against the packers in 2015.  Which we won before losing to them in the playoffs.  

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Was that really released by the official Cardinal's social media account?  

Yeesh.  

That was brutal.  The whole: "Who drove over here? Raise your hand.  Who took the bus?" sounds so amateurish.  Cardinals will be lucky to win 1 game this season with that kind of leadership.  You can literally see the players glaze over and tune him out after the first 5 seconds.  They're all thinking: wtf did I get myself into?

23 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Cards are a touchdown dog. Vegas isn’t expecting a blowout…they are usually pretty good at these kinds of things. 

Vegas isn’t predicting what it thinks is going to happen, it’s trying to set the line where they think they can draw bets on both sides. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

Vegas isn’t predicting what it thinks is going to happen, it’s trying to set the line where they think they can draw bets on both sides. 

I understand that. My point is this thread gives off Zona +17 vibes. 😆

I fully plan to cash in on the Commies this year until Vegas catches up with the EB/Howell machine. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I understand that. My point is this thread gives off Zona +17 vibes. 😆

I fully plan to cash in on the Commies this year until Vegas catches up with the EB/Howell machine. 

Right but even in that hypothetical, who is gonna bet that the Cardinals don’t cover -17? Probably few people. -7 or so is a much better spot for the line to be to draw in whatever money there is on both the Cardinals or Commanders. You start talking blowout in the spread, you’re only getting sucker/degenerate money. It’s rare to see a spread really reflect a potential blowout. One of the biggest spreads in recent memory (I believe) was last season at like -11, with the Chiefs playing some donkey team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know about everyone else but I’m ****ing motivated. 

Did YOU ride the bus, you ****s?!

What's weird is the instant segway into having "fire in your gut". How is that related to one's method of transportation?

I guess the message is, the type of millionaires that would use US public transport just to contract a digestive illness are the kind of ****IN' killers required to compete in the NFL with no QB.

Ron needs to be taking notes.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Cards are a touchdown dog. Vegas isn’t expecting a blowout…they are usually pretty good at these kinds of things. 

They are until they’re not.  And I think the lines “tighten up” a bit as the season wears on. 

Also remember, the line is set not to predict the outcome, it’s to get as close to equal betting on each side.  If the line was set much higher with a first year, 5th round pick QB, a lot of folks who don’t pay much attention would pound the cardinals.  Vegas doesn’t want that.  They want as equal as possible 

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I feel like I should have kept reading the thread before stopping to comment….

:P 

• Haha 2

The Commanders believe in Sam Howell. But did they give him enough help?

Did the Commanders build strong enough infrastructure around Howell to allow him to succeed?

Yes, according to Coach Ron Rivera, who believes Howell is in the best quarterback situation he’s created in Washington.

“You never know until you start playing,” Rivera said. “But with the things that we’ve done, the way we practiced this year, going to Baltimore [for joint practices] … there’s a lot of confidence. … We feel good about the playmakers that are around Sam.”

There are several reasons to believe Rivera is right. The team has what could be one of the NFL’s best defenses, which should prevent the offense from having to win shootouts. The offense has complementary running backs, a couple solid tight ends and an elite room of receivers. Even if top wideout Terry McLaurin (turf toe) misses a game or two, Howell should have enough skill talent around him to fulfill the dreams of a high-flying offense Bieniemy brought from Kansas City.

The biggest reason to doubt Rivera is the offensive line. Last year’s was bad, and this year’s is another clear weak link. The front office devoted few resources to it — two midmarket veterans, two mid-round draft picks — and bet on the growth of young players unproven in their roles. Internally, executives know they need the unit to be greater than the sum of its parts. Externally, experts believe the line has a razor-thin margin for error.

The line already shown cracks. Right tackle Andrew Wylie struggled in the preseason opener. The team placed fourth-round tackle Braeden Daniels (rotator cuff) on injured reserve Tuesday, ending his season. And even though General Manager Martin Mayhew has praised the play of left guard Saahdiq Charles, saying he just had the best camp of his career, injuries have plagued Charles and forced him to miss two weeks, as well.

Before last season, the Commanders were optimistic, and the aging line went on to be decimated by injuries and limited by a lack of guard athleticism. Sam Cosmi, the young player Washington bet on to improve, ultimately this year moved inside to guard. The line’s struggles, coupled with limited quarterbacks and suspect play-calling, led to a broader unraveling.

“I feel good about our offensive line,” Mayhew said Tuesday, adding, “I’m happy with the guys we got in free agency … and I feel good about our depth, too.”

...All the skill players could help the line protect by chipping in — literally. (“Chip” is football jargon for a skill player hitting a defender before running his pass pattern.) Robinson said Bieniemy’s scheme incorporates more chips than that of former offensive coordinator Scott Turner.

“It’s in our offense deep,” Robinson said, pointing out that opponent and game plan will dictate how much skill players chip. “If we got a very good edge rusher or something, I’m pretty sure we’ll have chips in the game a lot.”

This week, as Commanders executives have spoken optimistically about solidifying the 53-man roster, it’s been clear they believe the best-case scenarios are going to work out.

“We’ve put some explosive pieces around Sam … with our receiver corps and with our tight end group, and then certainly [he’ll be helped] with Eric coming in with his offense,” senior director of player personnel Eric Stokes said. “We have a creative offense. It’s going to be explosive. I think it’s going to be balanced, and so [I’m] really excited about seeing how all those pieces come together.”

• Like 1