Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Translation: The Oline won’t be a disaster, but their will be disasters throughout the season.

Which is where I’m at.

I’m sure there will be games against lesser DL’s, like our season opener, where the OL appears to gel and holds up.  There will also be games, unfortunately like the ones against our division foes where scheming can only help the void of talent but so much.

That's the nature of an average OL. They'll oscillate to both sides of the spectrum for decent play.

Key is if all of these guys have skill-sets that complement each other and the scheme helps out others and let's them play up against better competition. That'll reduce variance. Otherwise oscillation might be a bit large game to game.

So basically, we need to hope EB isn't as clueless as Scott Turner for why some OL can't block on certain play calls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

So is it safe to say that whatever the issue is with Chase Young, it isn't a "stinger?"  I have seen some speculate that it was a concussion which is why they are keeping him away from contact until Week 1.   No way a stinger is keeping the guy from playing a game that is going to take place a good month after.  

Perhaps emotionally stung and strategically being cautious.  This whole Chase situation smells.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:
Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

I can't speak for @BatteredFanSyndrome

But I think we are on the same page, please correct me if not.

I don't expect this O line to be average.  I expect it to be bad against good D lines.  And average against average to below average D lines.

So on the aggregate its bad as a unit but its not bad every week.  It will hang in there against meh D lines fine.

If this O line is average.  They are likely going 10-11 wins.  But I'd be very surprised if so.  

To me average means, good games, bad games, so so games, it evens out where its not more bad than good.   #16 type of O line.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can't speak for @BatteredFanSyndrome

But I think we are on the same page, please correct me if not.

I don't expect this O line to be average.  I expect it to be bad against good D lines.  And average against average to below average D lines.

So on the aggregate its bad as a unit but its not bad every week.  It will hang in there against meh D lines fine.

If this O line is average.  They are likely going 10-11 wins.  But I'd be very surprised if so.  

To me average means, good games, bad games, so so games, it evens out where its not more bad than good.   #16 type of O line.

Exactly this.

I don’t think there is enough talent to regularly out-scheme many of the DL’s we are set to face, no matter how the line gels and compliments one another.

• Like 2

I was sort of half listening but there was a reporter who came on 106.7 today, I believe who knows Trent if I recall who said that Trent, Moses and Scherff are on a group text chat with each other and on occasion like to goof about this team -- sounded like specifically about the O line unit but maybe it was the team overall, I was sort of half listening to that part.

• Thumb down 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was sort of half listening but there was a reporter who came on 106.7 today, I believe who knows Trent if I recall who said that Trent, Moses and Scherff are on a group text chat with each other and on occasion like to goof about this team -- sounded like specifically about the O line unit but maybe it was the team overall, I was sort of half listening to that part.

They experienced Jay "nipple twister and desperately trying to pickup 20 year olds outside a Wendy's at 3am before a game" Gruden for most of their career here and all of Dan Snyder. I'd be shocked if they didn't make fun of the team.

It's pretty low hanging fruit.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

They experienced Jay "nipple twister and desperately trying to pickup 20 year olds outside a Wendy's at 3am before a game" Gruden for most of their career here and all of Dan Snyder. I'd be shocked if they didn't make fun of the team.

It's pretty low hanging fruit.

Agree.  I'd add I doubt there is much love in that mix for Rivera with Moses and Trent. 

Moses talked to a reporter, if I recall it was Finlay, about how much better run the Ravens are than this team.  Didn't sound like he excluded Rivera from that generalization.

If the making fun includes this O line unit, that's what it sounded like to me but I got to relisten to that part -- but if so that also is low hanging fruit considering how good that unit was when all three played together and I doubt it escapes them that the national media thinks the unit sucks now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

I wonder who comes back first, Chase or Terry.

Terry just has to get his toe mowed. He’ll be back week 3. Chase sounds like he has a stinger lodged somewhere in him. Times running short, I heard it’s poisonous. He be ded soon. So game plan accordingly. 

As always, be nice to your nurse and tip her for better care. (Not tip like you do a cow mind you.)

Signed,

Dr. Fetus 

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  It's likely going to be a beating 30-7.

I am going to the next game, the Denver one.  That should be interesting, I can see that one going either way.

Chase is likely out and the starting defense barely played in preseason.

We will beat Arizona but it will be closer than people think.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Chase was a big part of their #3 ranked defense last year. Trying to recall what was it like 12 sacks?  What will Payne, Allen, Sweat do without him, they've not had to do it before without him, this will be the first time, the novelty of it alone should be interesting.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Skinsinparadise Cancel your trip.  

lol, that one alas is already off, didn't fit for me logiistically.  But I will be going to the Denver game.  Sounds like it will be electric though atmosphere for game 1.

I watched this last night, a preview of the game.  It made Arizona come off even more pathetic than I thought.  They go the worst secondary in the league, really bad pass rush. 

When Matt Miller from ESPN was goofing on Washington's O line as the league's worst, the one O line he compared to that he thought was almost as bad was Arizona.

They got maybe Clayton Tune starting.  A dude I liked in the draft but as a backup, not a starter, and he is raw.  He could throw like 4 picks in a game like this in his debut.  The other dude has been in the offense for like a week and struggled against our 3rd string defense in the preseason after their other backup DTR carved us up.

It should be a rout.  A close game IMO would be a red flag.

• Like 3

And when they did play, Deshaun Watson and company drove down the field quick, fast, and in a hurry. So we'll see but I also expect it to be closer than people think because...well...we're us.

Edited by AlwaysBeRedskins2Me
  • Like 1

I really doubt that. Arizona is a mess we haven't seen probably since the 0-16 Lions. 

I still don't understand who their QB is and FedEx is going to be LOUD.

If it's a close game it's going to be a long season. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 2