Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I really doubt that. Arizona is a mess we haven't seen probably since to 0-16 Lions. 

I still don't understand who their QB is and FedEx is going to be LOUD.

If it's a close game it's going to be a long season. 

Arizona is really really bad.  I gather their GM-owner doesn't want t win.  Tank mode for Caleb. 

The best thing they can do is run the ball with James Conner who is just OK.  Bad offense.  Bad defense.

And this is in the lion's den for a change with a charged up fan base-sell out crowd.

I was at the 2018 opener in Arizona where Washington destroyed them.  It should be round 2 of that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Arizona is really really bad.  I gather their GM-owner doesn't want t win.  Tank mode for Caleb. 

The best thing they can do is run the ball with James Conner who is just OK.  Bad offense.  Bad defense.

And this is in the Lion's den for a change with a charged up fan base-sell out crowd.

I was at the 2018 opener in Arizona where Washington destroyed them.  It should be round 2 of that.

I heard rumors about some wrongdoing on their part. Something to do with a burner phone. Would be a shame for them to tank just to have their 1st round pick stripped. 😆

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I heard rumors about some wrongdoing on their part. Something to do with a burner phone. Would be a shame for them to tank just to have their 1st round pick stripped. 😆

Them and Gannon agreed to the HC job before the SB, if that's what you mean. 

That would be the perfect punishment for them. 

If Gannon did that to the Chiefs, Niners or Pats, Arizona would be giving picks to those teams, but the Eagles are about as lowly as we are in terms of NFL/Goodell royalty.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And this is in the lion's den for a change with a charged up fan base-sell out crowd.

So if they come out flat… well, they better not come out flat.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Them and Gannon agreed to the HC job before the SB, if that's what you mean. 

That would be the perfect punishment for them. 

If Gannon did that to the Chiefs, Niners or Pats, Arizona would be giving picks to those teams, but the Eagles are about as lowly as we are in terms of NFL/Goodell royalty.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3532843/ex-coach-steve-wilks-cardinals-leaders-burner-phones/

Former Arizona Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks confirmed an accusation from a former team executive that he was asked, “under order” from then-general manager Steve Keim and owner Michael Bidwill, to use a burner phone to speak with Keim during the executive’s suspension related to a DUI arrest in 2018, reports ESPN’s Tisha Thompson.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pretty much. And honestly there’s really no excuse at this point. Rivera has been here for too long and he has a shinny new toy and coach on offense. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

https://arizonasports.com/story/3532843/ex-coach-steve-wilks-cardinals-leaders-burner-phones/

Former Arizona Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks confirmed an accusation from a former team executive that he was asked, “under order” from then-general manager Steve Keim and owner Michael Bidwill, to use a burner phone to speak with Keim during the executive’s suspension related to a DUI arrest in 2018, reports ESPN’s Tisha Thompson.

Pretty much. And honestly there’s really no excuse at this point. Rivera has been here for too long and he has a shinny new toy and coach on offense. 

I forgot about that. Hysterical. I was talking about this. (BTW it's so nice to make fun of another owners disfunction for once)

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/jonathan-gannon-addresses-tampering-call-it-was-a-mistake#:~:text=Jonathan Gannon apologized on Tuesday,former employer%2C the Philadelphia Eagles.

Jonathan Gannon apologized on Tuesday for the phone call with Monti Ossenfort before Gannon was hired as the Cardinals head coach, an impermissible connection that forced the Cardinals to swap third-round picks with Gannon's former employer, the Philadelphia Eagles.

"It's a mistake that we made, and the league rectified it and we've moved on," Gannon said.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think we beat Arizona but it’s not like we’re a three touchdown favorite. 

I think anyone expecting a blowout might be disappointed. I’ll take a workman like ten point win. 🙏🏻🎉🍾

I'm not too sure on that.. I think our DL is going to feast, as their Oline is as bad if not worse than ours. I expect big Jon to be in the back field and in Dobbs face all game

10 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Terry just has to get his toe mowed. He’ll be back week 3. Chase sounds like he has a stinger lodged somewhere in him. Times running short, I heard it’s poisonous. He be ded soon. So game plan accordingly. 

As always, be nice to your nurse and tip her for better care. (Not tip like you do a cow mind you.)

Signed,

Dr. Fetus 

Can I get a 2nd opinion.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Arizona could trade Kyler Murray for a first rounder after this season if they choose to.   People think that contract is untradeable, but I think they are wrong.  They see 5 years 230 million.  But 71 million of that is signing bonus which the Cardinals have already paid and which cap space they would eat in a trade.  So its really 5 years 159 million which if you are QB hungry is platable. 

1 minute ago, philibusters said:

I think Arizona could trade Kyler Murray for a first rounder after this season if they choose to.   People think that contract is untradeable, but I think they are wrong.  They see 5 years 230 million.  But 71 million of that is signing bonus which the Cardinals have already paid and which cap space they would eat in a trade.  So its really 5 years 159 million which if you are QB hungry is platable. 

It's Kyler Murray though, I wouldn't give a ham sandwich for him right now lol

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I liked Howell coming out college.  But not to your extent, you were his top fan. 

If I had to pick one reason this team wins 10 or more wins its him.  I just hate the idea of putting that kind of pressure on a young QB -- I like to have them some slack, ups and down, etc are normal.  

But lets say it takes him no time to be a Derek Carr, Kirk level QB this season.  I do think he's good enough to overcome this offensive line in that case.  Kirk and Carr have taken their teams to the playoffs with a bad O line.  It's not ideal but doable.  

Howell as some reporters reminded didn't have great protection in the Dallas game.  As we know he's used to a crappy O line in North Carolina.  

I don't mean this sarcastically but if there is a young QB perfectly suited to play with a below average O line, its this dude.  Will see.  

So while I am not in the camp here of some people who say the O line will be average and good enough to do the job,  It's certainly possible but I am not betting on it.  But if I had to pick a reason for them exceeding expectations its Howell.

While I've not felt warm and fuzzy for what the beat guys think of the O line based on practices.  I am feeling very jazzed about Howell.  Keim in particular who is very measured in his comments good or bad -- he's a stay medium type -- seems very sold on Howell.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

I read that if they lose a draft pick it would be a mid round pick, not the 1st round. I guess rules are applied different when John Mara isn't involved.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Here is the problem with that. When their GM Kiem was suspended for his umpteenth DUI he was not supposed to have any involvement or contact with teh team. However the owner had key people issued with burner phones so he could be part of decision making etc. Thats all coming out as part of some employment law suits. Its going to get messy and they might well end up losing their first round pick.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was sort of half listening but there was a reporter who came on 106.7 today, I believe who knows Trent if I recall who said that Trent, Moses and Scherff are on a group text chat with each other and on occasion like to goof about this team -- sounded like specifically about the O line unit but maybe it was the team overall, I was sort of half listening to that part.

“…Trent, Moses and Scherff are on a group text chat with each other and on occasion like to goof about this team…”

Who can honestly blame them?

I’m ashamed to admit it, but even I  I belong to one of those seedy underground internet chat groups that makes fun of the (pre-Josh Harris era) Commanders…

It’s called ExtremeSkins.

• Haha 8
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Here is the problem with that. When their GM Kiem was suspended for his umpteenth DUI he was not supposed to have any involvement or contact with teh team. However the owner had key people issued with burner phones so he could be part of decision making etc. Thats all coming out as part of some employment law suits. Its going to get messy and they might well end up losing their first round pick.

Yeah I am vaguely familiar with the story.  If they dock them a first considering how bad that franchise is, it would be brutal.  But even so they have a shot at the runner up pick considering they got the Texans pick so the consolation prize might be Maye.

I know Kyler represents a killer cap hit but I think they suck it up regardless and still draft a QB considering Kyler's injuries and not having the best reputation as a dude.

I think I much higher on Kyler Murray then a lot of people on this board.  I think he is a terrible leader, but he is very talented.   He lead an untalented offense to a 11-6 year a couple years ago and while the Cardinals were only 3-7 with him last year, they were 1-6 without him. His running is dynamic and he is a decent passer.  I think in terms of talent, he is similar to Lamar Jackson.  That said I think he lacks Lamar Jackson's work ethic.  If I was a team with a good culture and a decent roster a mid first round pick (say the Steelers if they didn't have Kenny Pickett), I would give up a first for Kyler Murray.

16 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think I much higher on Kyler Murray then a lot of people on this board.  I think he is a terrible leader, but he is very talented.   He lead an untalented offense to a 11-6 year a couple years ago and while the Cardinals were only 3-7 with him last year, they were 1-6 without him. His running is dynamic and he is a decent passer.  I think in terms of talent, he is similar to Lamar Jackson.  That said I think he lacks Lamar Jackson's work ethic.  If I was a team with a good culture and a decent roster a mid first round pick (say the Steelers if they didn't have Kenny Pickett), I would give up a first for Kyler Murray.

Him and Lamar is similar in terms of injury for sure. He is 3 inches shorter though and that can really affect how you play the game. The other big factor is the torn ACL.. Kyler in a lot of ways reminds me of RG3.. has all the talent in the world, but injuries will be his downfall.

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

I posted the details of Murray’s contract earlier. The cap charges and dead cap are HUGE the next two years. I don’t see how they could trade him before the end of the 25 season. 

Even if the Cards where willing/able to eat the ungodly dead cap and trade before the start of next season no one is picking up the current contract he is on AND giving them a high draft pick(s). 

• Thanks 1