Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

28 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I'm weary of any player that needs a video game clause in their contract. PASS. 

I said this at the time the Cards were extending him, but if you have to put a clause in your franchise QBs agreement specifying the amount of game film he has to watch you probably shouldn't be giving him the contract in the first place.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I said this at the time the Cards where extending him, but if you have to put a clause in your franchise QBs agreement specifying the amount of game film he has to watch you probably shouldn't be giving him the contract in the first place.

Cards only saving grace if they cannot unload Murray is they can still draft a QB due to the rookie wage scale. Can imagine it wouldn't make for the greatest locker room though. lol

• Like 1

I think COD was Murray’s secret sauce. He hasn’t played as well since this became known to the public. What if dropping bombs in the imaginary world helped him drop bombs on the football field. I hope he comes around and lands on his feet somewhere. I wonder if he’ll play at all this year or wait and the Cards trade him in the offseason.

Either way, it is not our problem and I cannot wait to see Howell. One thing I hope with our new offense is that we if we go up by a 7 we need to continue stepping on the gas. Not lay off and wait around for the other team to play catch up and beat us. 

• Like 3

Just now, Fan since a Fetus said:

I haven’t paid attention to Gannon this offseason. Why is he considered Zorn 2.0? That is the most absolutely incredibly medium burn I’ve ever heard. 

I heard he was going to take shots. Pew. Pew. Pew.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Murray would be a beast with a real coach that can give him structure and discipline without treating him like a kid. Think someone like Mike Tomlin. But he's had clowns like Kingsbury and now this Gannon fella who looks like Zorn 2.0 with less charisma.

EB in 24? lol

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Yay

Wonder what Dan is thinking right about now? The only thing it really took was for one man to leave.

When was the last time Fed Ex was sold out? No, Beyoncé concert doesn't count.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Wonder what Dan is thinking right about now? The only thing it really took was for one man to leave.

When was the last time Fed Ex was sold out? No, Beyoncé concert doesn't count.

Never knew he was capable of rational thought. And speaking for myself (but sure I'm not alone), I have 0 ****s to give what he thinks.

Speaking of which, I'll leave yall to it as now I'm going to hunt for that bag of ****s I set down around 1980 something that I haven't seen since.

HTTR!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Arizona is really really bad.  I gather their GM-owner doesn't want t win.  Tank mode for Caleb. 

I get this, but with Murray on the team at least through 2024, and a pretty significant cap hit in 2025 to get rid of him, this seems like a bad plan.

Maybe "tank for a bevy of picks" but tanking for Caleb?  They can't cut or trade Murray.  

I dunno.  It's really, really weird.  Maybe he is just that stupid and doesn't understand the cap at all.  

22 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Even under Callahan the O line struggled with stunts.  I recall Dallas in particular having a field day with this against this line.

Ultimately, good defenses will try to win with their 4 rushers against our 5.  And drop the others into coverage. In an obvious passing down can Charles Leno this time stop Thibdeaux?  If I recall he didn't blitz but he just beat him man on man.  Can Wylie stop Parsons' one on one, etc?

We don't have a tackle who can easily block on an island where we can safety double team one side without worrying about the other side.

I agree picking up the blitz and stunts are key.  But IMHO it goes deeper than that.  

Very rarely do I want a tackle lined up on island against a premier pass rusher in a 3rd and long, that’s poor coaching IMO.  Sure, elite tackles with a strong shot at the hall of fame you can do that, but that’s the exception. Completely own this is not from study or numbers and purely based on memory and observations over my years watching football. 

Sure, you can take gambles here and there and leave guys on an island, but it’s a risk. You hope your average guy can compete or even win a rep in a long down and distance situation. 

Totally okay with Washington’s current tackles blocking the elite edge guys neutral situations: 1st down or second/third and shorts. If a guy can’t compete long enough for the quick pass game, then I’m out on that guy. Wylie for example is masterful in mirroring the drop back and his punches in the quick pass game—I expect him to win against Parsons when put in a position advantage. 

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think Arizona could trade Kyler Murray for a first rounder after this season if they choose to.   People think that contract is untradeable, but I think they are wrong.  They see 5 years 230 million.  But 71 million of that is signing bonus which the Cardinals have already paid and which cap space they would eat in a trade.  So its really 5 years 159 million which if you are QB hungry is platable. 

Yup, this will become more common place in the NFL. This is how big name QBs will begin to get moved more often in future years. It’s good business for the NFL to get more big name trades going much like the NBA model. 

50 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

EB in 24? lol

I can remember a day when most were spoofing on the Eagles head coach. 

EB is about to rock the Football landscape!

Just now, wit33 said:

Very rarely do I want a tackle lined up on island against a premier pass rusher in a 3rd and long, that’s poor coaching IMO.  Sure, elite tackles with a strong shot at the hall of fame you can do that, but that’s the exception. Completely own this is not from study or numbers and purely based on memory and observations over my years watching football. 

Sure, you can take gambles here and there and leave guys on an island, but it’s a risk. You hope your average guy can compete or even win a rep in a long down and distance situation. 

Totally okay with Washington’s current tackles blocking the elite edge guys neutral situations: 1st down or second/third and shorts. If a guy can’t compete long enough for the quick pass game, then I’m out on that guy. Wylie for example is masterful in mirroring the drop back and his punches in the quick pass game—I expect him to win against Parsons when put in a position advantage. 

It would be cool if Dallas just had Parsons on one side.  Double team him.  But alas they have Demarcus Lawrence, too.

It would be cool if the Giants just had Thibodeux on one side.  Double team him.  But alas they have Ojulari, too. 

It would be cool if the Eagles just had Reddick on one side.   Double team him.  But alas they have Brandon Graham.   And more.

Teams like the Eagles emphasize the trenches.  Both sides.  Not because they are stupid but they see the value of being able to protect the QB against loaded D lines.  We aren't going to play Arizona every week.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think Arizona could trade Kyler Murray for a first rounder after this season if they choose to.   People think that contract is untradeable, but I think they are wrong.  They see 5 years 230 million.  But 71 million of that is signing bonus which the Cardinals have already paid and which cap space they would eat in a trade.  So its really 5 years 159 million which if you are QB hungry is platable. 

The dead-cap escalated salary cap hit might be absolutely unworkable.

I think, though I could be wrong, the cardinals are responsible for the full $103m guaranteed at signing no matter what. The Dead Cap hit if you release Murray before the 2024 season is $89m.  You can't field a team with that.

I could be wrong about this. Teams have started using the Roster, Option and Workout bonuses in a much more meaningful way.  I might spend a little time this weekend reading up on how those effect the dead cap hit and what is tradable and what isn't.

But my previous understanding is the signing team is responsible for the entire dead hit, including all guaranteed money which is not salary based if they make the trade, and the team receiving is only responsible for the salary.