Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 11/10/2023 at 9:48 AM, Going Commando said:

If we're just looking at need picks for our first rounder, Edge is the biggest one.  Jared Verse and Chop Robinson are the early front runners for being Edge 1 and Edge 2.  Dallas Turner and Chris Braswell are in play in the first round too.  Laiatu Latu is interesting but I'm not sure if he's fast enough to still be a high end edge rusher in the NFL.

We need to be going BPA though.  I like Cooper Dejean a lot, and he fits the super athlete profile we look for in our DBs.

I think edge is our biggest need at this moment, but when looking long term, I'd say OT.  Given 1. Leno's age, 2. We have a young up and coming QB, and 3. we got steady production from our d line in the past as long as Allen / Payne are healthy, I'd prioritize OT.  With five picks in the first three rounds this year, I hope our new FO doesn't fall in love with a particular player or position like we did with Davis and Forbes, and they let the board come to them so to speak.  I think we are lucky given that this year there will be a bunch of tackles worthy of a first round pick.  

Even if we win a few more games, we won't have to reach to get a quality tackle, and it would address in my opinion our biggest need.  

With our first five picks, if we were able to address OT, TE, LB, DE, in any order without reaching, I think we will have a very exciting 2024 to look forward to, assuming we have hired a FO / coach we all believe in.  

If they go d end, the names you mentioned would be exciting too, but doesn't Latu have a neck issue that almost ended his career?  If so, I wouldn't consider him in the first.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Thumb up 1

I don’t think EDGE is our biggest need because we don’t exist in a vacuum. Giving Howell the best chance at being a franchise QB is our biggest need, which means improving the offense around him is necessarily our biggest need (after improving the FO and coaching staff, of course).

Edited by Conn
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Georgia WR Ladd McConkey runs absolutely filthy routes. He’s not the kind of receiver we need at 6’ 185 but I figured I’d come here to compliment his route running.

He's a beast.  Tough and dangerous with the ball in the open field.  Georgia fans love him, and I've gotten the sense they view him as the second best guy in their offense the past two years, behind Bowers.  The suite of traits and things he does well translates to the NFL.  And it's also not easy to come in and be an alpha playmaker like him as a three star recruit in a program like Georgia

His 40 time will define his draft ceiling but not his playing ceiling.  Could definitely see him being a day three gem.

A little more background on Ladd: he was a Todd Monken recruiting find who only got two P5 offers.  Started out on Georgia's scout team and worked himself into a big offensive role after dicing up guys like Tyson Campbell and Erik Stokes and Nakobe Dean in practice.  He played QB and DB and returned punts in H.S.  There are some similarities to Cooper Dejean in his background and make up of being an old school do it all player, except Dejean has track speed and ended up playing defense instead of offense.  Ladd is all about short area quickness and agility.

I like him as a slot receiver and punt returner for our offense and special teams.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

Georgia WR Ladd McConkey runs absolutely filthy routes. He’s not the kind of receiver we need at 6’ 185 but I figured I’d come here to compliment his route running.

What is his 40?  I think we are going to go get one those those small-mis school 4.2 type of guys in the draft in the 3-5 rounds… 

In the draft we need to support Howell with OL and TE.   Need more quick twitch speed guys on the outside

Regardless of what position we take, we really need a blue chip player.

Theres literally zero blue chip players on this team not counting QB.

At one point, I thought Terry could be considered one, but he’s really taken a step back this year, and it’s hard to admit that because I love the guy.

Oline, dline, wr, db, lb, te, who gives a ****, we someone who will impact a game for once not named Sam Howell.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

We are probably picking 8 to 15?

Ot, DE, and possibly Te. 

I figure a few OTs will go early but Bowers could be there because of the injury. I like Fuaga for this team more than others in part due to height and desire to improve RT. 

1. Bowers (TE)
  2. Coleman (WR) 
  3. Fuaga (RT)
  4. Odunze (WR)

Would not be shocked of they draft a tall receiver with the round 1 pick. Protect Sam by giving him better targets or protection. One or the other. 

I agree with everyone that O-line is our biggest need right now and if Alt or Fashanu are there for whatever reason (except medical), you obviously go ahead and take them.  Fuaga has also shot up draft rankings recently but I haven't really watched him. Could be another guy for us though.

But I think at the end of the day almost every position should be on the table in round 1 and that includes WR. This upcoming class has a couple if incredible players at the position and yeterday's game showed us that our WRs can't seperate on the level we were hoping they could. We will most likely not be in a position to draft Marvin Harrison Jr. but i have an absolute crush on Malik Nabers. He runs crisp routes and he accelerates out of breaks as fast as anyone I have seen. But even WR3 and WR4 (or however you rank them) are ridiculously talented with Odunze and Coleman who would also introduce a size/speed combination to our WR room which we don't have.

I could also see us going after Latu if the medicals check out because DE will be a need.

At the end of the day we need blue chip players and we could use them at every position. We currently do not have a real NFL star on the roster and I don't see any of our players developing into one. As we have 5 picks in the top 100, we do not need to force anything if it isn't there. We also have a lot of cap room, which I hope we use to be active in free ageny and shore up the O-line before the draft comes up (e.g. go after Mike Onwenu, Connor Williams, etc.). And once again, I hope we do not try to outsmart every other team again.

• Like 1

Just want to chime in and echo the OL need.  Front office has ignored that aspect of the team for too long, we absolutely have to address that position (ideally LT) with our first pick.

The defense is so bad, you could draft any position aside from DT and I'd be happy.  Our entire secondary is trash, so I'd start there.  It would be really nice if Forbes could amount to something, not ready to give up on him yet, but still need other guys regardless.

28 minutes ago, method man said:

Are there any guys we can grab in the 2nd this year who look like they can be backs who can run between the tackles, run with vision but also hit home runs?

It kills me to see what the Seahawks have in both Charbonnet and Walker

Like we would give that guy more than 10 opportunities a game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I like that we're using Gibson more in space now. He's actually not bad in that role and I wouldn't mind extending him if we keep using him like that. 

He just needs to understand when and when not to run out of bounds. Always doing the wrong thing.