Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 11/13/2023 at 6:51 AM, Warhead36 said:

I'm okay with our RBs. I wouldn't mind adding a stud to the mix, and Eugene Shen seems to value drafting RBs high if you can land a real game changer, but I think Robinson and Gibson can make a nice thunder and lightning. 

We have to wait. there's no RB worth going after aggressively this year. We can dart throw and hope to land a steal, but honestly, I wouldn't go after a RB until the end/middle of day 2 or day 3. Use the first 4 picks on the best OL available, and best player available that isn't a C, LB, or DT. RB we could use the Niners supplemental pick on if someone falls. Someone usually does. RB doesnt carry the same cache as it once did and its 99% of the time, a 1 contract player. Don't use heavy draft capital on that. 

On 11/13/2023 at 8:18 AM, Riggo#44 said:

I really wanted Cole Turner to be something, but he has 12 targets all year and has 1 catch in the last 5 weeks.

We've drafted nothing but JAG TE prospects since 2013. Nothing but JAGS, every single guy. Jordan Reed was the last guy that had any upside at all. Turner, and the other dude were known JAGs from the jump. Frustrating but true. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Been playing around on draft games tonight a little bit. Would you trade both of our 2nd's to trade up for Bowers if he dropped a little bit? That possibility has happened a couple of timed. I've been drafting Latham at 11 then trading back up to 15-18 to draft Bowers. I think I would do that. 

No. You can get great TE's in round 2, and in the second half of round 1's that are every bit as good as inside the top 10 guys (the bust rate w/them is oddly very high historically). As much as I like Bowers, I'm not interested in moving 2nd's for him. We can find starters in round 2 considering how high those picks are. 

Laporta, Kincaid, and Mayer went between 25-35, and 2 of the 3 are already spectacular. The best TE's drafted in recent years have been available outside the top 10 and usually anywhere in the top 100ish. The best TE's of the last decade weren't first rounders, but rather late day 2 and day 3 picks. The Ravens got a perennial all pro caliber TE who was 1 in his class practically on day 3 because of one final slightly off final year. We don't have to just automatically pull the trigger on a mega talent like bowers. Just wait for good classes like this past one, and pull the trigger on day 2. Simple. Keep your draft capital, especially when you have holes EVERYWHERE. 

12 hours ago, method man said:

We need impact players. Filling our depth with Day 3 picks hasn’t done much for us. I am fine with being aggressive and trading up for guys who can make an impact and have a chance to become a top 5 player at their position. Fill the depth with veterans who come free for the minumum like Crowder if needed.

Name a single guy we have who is top 5 at their position besides Tress. I would’ve said Jon Allen but he has regressed this season. 

On the other hand, look at SF. Trent, Kittle, Warner, Hufanga, McCaffrey and Bosa all fit that bill

The Eagles have Kelce, Lane Johnson, Hurts and Brown at a minimum. I would count Jalen Carter as well.

We need to find a way to scratch and claw our way to at least 3 All Pros next year and build on that. It is why I am pushing hard for Danielle Hunter but also why I am willing to move up in the draft or trade picks for guys that can achieve this in short order

Honestly the way to have been doing this was in trading like the Eagles did, building a golden loom of picks. If we're smart, truth be told, we should trade asset(s) this offseason/draft to add more ammo to '25 too. The Eagles have built a loom that keeps spinning off extra picks and that's why there roster depth is so good. Lots of rookie contracts. Niners situation is more complicated, but other than Lance, they've managed draft picks well in terms of spinning them off for extra's. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The last two years were the years to take RBs with Hall, Walker, Robinson, and GIbbs(among others like Achane who came in unheralded). This year's class appears pretty "meh".

It's kind of like QB. Once we decided we were hell bent on letting Cousins leave, we needed to look at the '17, '18, '20, '21 and '23 QB classes and avoid the '19 and '22. Of course being run by morons we did the exact opposite.

In terms of RB classes, the loaded classes were '17, '18, '20, '22, '23 was weird, super deep in terms of average+ guys, but shallow in elite potential. In those years we took RB's in the weakest class ('19), and again in '22, but we took a JAG tough guy in '22 (respect his toughness, but limited ceiling has always been obvious with Robinson due to the athleticism issues). 

We need to wait at RB and fix OL, WR/TE if we can instead, save RB for '25, or '26 (not sure about those classes yet, a little too far out to be positive). 

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The last two years were the years to take RBs with Hall, Walker, Robinson, and GIbbs(among others like Achane who came in unheralded). This year's class appears pretty "meh".

I'm hoping for a change of pace back to Robinson and Rodriquez.  I don't want the uber-RB at the expense of any of the other team needs.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Crazy how good Laporta has been. Mayer's been a dead letter for most of the season with Laporta and Kincaid just killing it. Good news for Mayer fans/draftees in fantasy is he's gotten better since he was primarily a big fat 0 through the first 3 weeks of the season. Has 15 catches the past 7 games. Sucks, but at least he's waking up. But for now anyway, Laporta and Kincaid look like steals, especially Laporta. Needs to be said, Iowa is a mega TE factory. Crazy how many quality TE's they've produced. Kittle, Hockenson, Fant, and Laporta just since '17, and 12 over the past 20+ years were drafted. Crazy #'s. 

I didnt like Mayer as a first rounder last year. He has zero rac value at all. And it was apparent in his game film and his running times. 

4 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

TreVeyon Henderson and Braelon Allen are both projected 2nd rounders, Allen is the better investment (significantly younger, healthier). After that, the rest of the guys are below, mid 3rd round or later prospects in no particular order.  If we want to have a legit RB to build around w/o many concerns heading into the draft, it's Allen. Otherwise, just dart throw in round 3 and 4 with the best CV's amongst the below guys. Considering Henderson's injury history, and age, I'd straight pass on him. 

Blake Corum

Trey Benson

Raheim Sanders

Jonathan Brooks

Will Shipley

Bucky Irving are probably the top guys. I think Henderson, Allen, and Corum are the most well thought of. 

I like Corum A LOT. He would be a perfect compliment to whoever our bell whether ends up being next year. Would love to see more of Gonzalez the rest of the way. We need to see what we have there. 

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like Corum A LOT. He would be a perfect compliment to whoever our bell whether ends up being next year. Would love to see more of Gonzalez the rest of the way. We need to see what we have there. 

I assume you mean Rodriguez, and I agree, he has looked great when given the chance.  He needs more carries.  With he and brob, we should be looking at pass catching back in draft.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Crazy how good Laporta has been. Mayer's been a dead letter for most of the season with Laporta and Kincaid just killing it. Good news for Mayer fans/draftees in fantasy is he's gotten better since he was primarily a big fat 0 through the first 3 weeks of the season. Has 15 catches the past 7 games. Sucks, but at least he's waking up. But for now anyway, Laporta and Kincaid look like steals, especially Laporta. Needs to be said, Iowa is a mega TE factory. Crazy how many quality TE's they've produced. Kittle, Hockenson, Fant, and Laporta just since '17, and 12 over the past 20+ years were drafted. Crazy #'s. 

Yes Iowa has been on fire producing TE's. I loved Laporta, he was the dude I wanted Washington to get. He and Mayer were coming in pro-ready from their schools. 

I don't think you are giving Mayer a lot of credit because he is a killer blocker, much better that the others. He also was playing for the Raiders and McDaniels. 

Washington Commanders

Projected biggest need: Offensive tackle

After trading Chase Young and Montez Sweat at the Oct. 31 deadline, edge rusher quickly jumped up Washington's needs list. But I actually see offensive tackle as an even bigger issue. Charles Leno Jr. and Andrew Wylie have been inconsistent, as the Commanders are second in the league in sacks allowed (47). Oklahoma's Tyler Guyton has the talent and foot quickness to play on either side of the line, but there should also be plenty of veteran options -- Jonah Williams, Mike Onwenu, etc. -- in free agency. -- Reid

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/38883052/2024-nfl-offseason-needs-positions-afc-nfc-32-teams#WSH

• Like 1

Walterfootball, lol

NFL Team Logo for Redskins Washington Redskins: J.C. Latham, OT, Alabama Image for ALA

The Redskins have a major blocking issue that isn’t giving Sam Howell much of a chance at times. Improved blocking is needed.

J.C. Latham has the power to start at guard and athleticism to be a tackle.

12 hours ago, FrFan said:

Walterfootball, lol

NFL Team Logo for Redskins Washington Redskins: J.C. Latham, OT, Alabama Image for ALA

The Redskins have a major blocking issue that isn’t giving Sam Howell much of a chance at times. Improved blocking is needed.

J.C. Latham has the power to start at guard and athleticism to be a tackle.

Isn't that site a complete joke now and is basically run by an alt right zealot?

22 hours ago, FrFan said:

Walterfootball, lol

Historically, Charlie Campbell at that site is one of the better draft predictors. I don't trust their evaluations, but they're pretty keen on what teams are going to do. It's also 6 months out and things will shift dramatically between then and now.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2023 at 2:08 PM, The Consigliere said:

No. You can get great TE's in round 2, and in the second half of round 1's that are every bit as good as inside the top 10 guys (the bust rate w/them is oddly very high historically). As much as I like Bowers, I'm not interested in moving 2nd's for him. We can find starters in round 2 considering how high those picks are. 

Laporta, Kincaid, and Mayer went between 25-35, and 2 of the 3 are already spectacular. The best TE's drafted in recent years have been available outside the top 10 and usually anywhere in the top 100ish. The best TE's of the last decade weren't first rounders, but rather late day 2 and day 3 picks. The Ravens got a perennial all pro caliber TE who was 1 in his class practically on day 3 because of one final slightly off final year. We don't have to just automatically pull the trigger on a mega talent like bowers. Just wait for good classes like this past one, and pull the trigger on day 2. Simple. Keep your draft capital, especially when you have holes EVERYWHERE. 

Honestly the way to have been doing this was in trading like the Eagles did, building a golden loom of picks. If we're smart, truth be told, we should trade asset(s) this offseason/draft to add more ammo to '25 too. The Eagles have built a loom that keeps spinning off extra picks and that's why there roster depth is so good. Lots of rookie contracts. Niners situation is more complicated, but other than Lance, they've managed draft picks well in terms of spinning them off for extra's. 

Agreed. A couple points to make:

1) If you sell picks this year that results in 2025 picks, you also have extra ammo at the deadline to add veterans for a stretch run. The Eagles did this again this year for Byrd.

2) While we have Sam on the cheap for the next two years, I would like to make veterans on minimum or cheap contracts a greater percentage of the depth than guys on rookie contracts in 2024. Why? We can afford it and having cheap vets like Larsen and Danny Johnson as depth allows them to step in and do more than a guy on a rookie deal. Second, if you move some of the 2024 picks for picks that ultimately hit in 2025 and 2026, you get the guys on rookie contracts just starting their contracts when Sam starts to become more expensive and you are in greater need of cheap production 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 7:52 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Washington Commanders

Projected biggest need: Offensive tackle

After trading Chase Young and Montez Sweat at the Oct. 31 deadline, edge rusher quickly jumped up Washington's needs list. But I actually see offensive tackle as an even bigger issue. Charles Leno Jr. and Andrew Wylie have been inconsistent, as the Commanders are second in the league in sacks allowed (47). Oklahoma's Tyler Guyton has the talent and foot quickness to play on either side of the line, but there should also be plenty of veteran options -- Jonah Williams, Mike Onwenu, etc. -- in free agency. -- Reid

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/38883052/2024-nfl-offseason-needs-positions-afc-nfc-32-teams#WSH

Like many of you I totally agree with this. The first round pick, and one of the day 2’s should be OL, plus adding a free agent. Looking forward to learning about the top OL available from our phenomenal ES amateur scouting department! With a vastly improve O-line, we may discover that we are just fine at WR and RB.

I’m also on board with grabbing a TE in the second to eventually take over for Logan T

On 11/13/2023 at 4:01 AM, Panninho said:

I agree with everyone that O-line is our biggest need right now and if Alt or Fashanu are there for whatever reason (except medical), you obviously go ahead and take them.  Fuaga has also shot up draft rankings recently but I haven't really watched him. Could be another guy for us though.

But I think at the end of the day almost every position should be on the table in round 1 and that includes WR. This upcoming class has a couple if incredible players at the position and yeterday's game showed us that our WRs can't seperate on the level we were hoping they could. We will most likely not be in a position to draft Marvin Harrison Jr. but i have an absolute crush on Malik Nabers. He runs crisp routes and he accelerates out of breaks as fast as anyone I have seen. But even WR3 and WR4 (or however you rank them) are ridiculously talented with Odunze and Coleman who would also introduce a size/speed combination to our WR room which we don't have.

I could also see us going after Latu if the medicals check out because DE will be a need.

At the end of the day we need blue chip players and we could use them at every position. We currently do not have a real NFL star on the roster and I don't see any of our players developing into one. As we have 5 picks in the top 100, we do not need to force anything if it isn't there. We also have a lot of cap room, which I hope we use to be active in free ageny and shore up the O-line before the draft comes up (e.g. go after Mike Onwenu, Connor Williams, etc.). And once again, I hope we do not try to outsmart every other team again.

Nabers is a great prospect. He'd immediately step in above Dotson, with potential to surpass McLaurin. He's an easy mover with instant acceleration doing anything. He can glide at speed while scanning the field to see what he needs to do, as in he doesn't need to put his head down and pump hard to maintain separation or accelerate. This WR class has oodles of talent. Going BPA could easily be WR.

I need to watch more of him against press, but Nabers is probably a better prospect than Chris Olave (another guy who hits high speeds without even trying) and Olave was taken 11th and is on pace for another 1,000+ yard season in the NFL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Like many of you I totally agree with this. The first round pick, and one of the day 2’s should be OL, plus adding a free agent. Looking forward to learning about the top OL available from our phenomenal ES amateur scouting department! With a vastly improve O-line, we may discover that we are just fine at WR and RB.

I’m also on board with grabbing a TE in the second to eventually take over for Logan T

I think you could probably trade one of two 2nds for Pitts or Mayer given the changes in front offices for those franchises. Given TE tends to be a position with a steep learning curve, I’d rather do that. Maybe the Raiders throw in Moehrig too and we solve our FS problem

49 minutes ago, method man said:

I think you could probably trade one of two 2nds for Pitts or Mayer given the changes in front offices for those franchises. Given TE tends to be a position with a steep learning curve, I’d rather do that. Maybe the Raiders throw in Moehrig too and we solve our FS problem

I doubt the Raiders give up on Mayer after just one year, especially when he's been lighting it up the last few weeks.

I think a new coach that will likely take over for the Falcons will wanna keep Pitts.

56 minutes ago, method man said:

Pitts for a two could be worth it. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I doubt the Raiders give up on Mayer after just one year, especially when he's been lighting it up the last few weeks.

You're thinking of the other rookie TE's production.

Week 7 Week 8 Week 9 Week 10
Dalton Kincaid 75 yards 65 yards 81 yards 51 yards
Michael Mayer 13 yards 19 yards 11 yards 19 yards

13 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Pitts for a two could be worth it. 

I don't think he's quite worth that anymore. He'll only have 2 years left under contract and it's not cheap. Roughly $11 million per year. Add in that despite him being a very athletic 6'6, he's struggled to reach the end zone. So far into his 3rd season, he only has 4 career TD's. Despite being so athletic, he's also struggled to create. He's only averaging 2.9 Yards After Catch this season. In comparison, our Logan Thomas is averaging 4.6 YAC.