Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m a 50-50 custody single dad of an almost 3 year old and it’s the best thing ever. Your day sounds awesome.

With regards to the draft, one thing I’ll say for Ron and company is that we USUALLY draft a guy with traits. We’ve been pretty good at drafting athleticism. I’d look for that in our next pick. Any guys who killed their athletic testing left? Kuntz maybe. 

It's funny how that works, my interest in the draft, other than for dynasty fantasy purposes collapsed in '15/'16 as I had my kid, we took Scherrf which I hated, and I just walked away my focus a lot after that beyond dynasty FF related talent. The team actually drafted fairly well, if not doing the one thing they should have, in most of the following years, but man has this one been merde, based on scouting reports of value. Time will tell if that plays out, but man it looks ugly and I'm definitely happy I spent last night w/my kid at dinner, and today at his soccer game, trips to the bookstore, library, and a cook out etc. In the past I would have watched this whole ---- show and just been pissed off all day. Its nice to be able to be mostly checked out and to have invested not much time in draft class research. 

• Like 2

Commanders 2023 NFL Draft Class

image.png.7338a4b08ff004993ca2a33ebfbd12e2.png

Yes, I do believe we have 5 eventual starters on this team from this draft.  They are in Rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and possibly more.  I was harsh on the picks but in all fairness we have to see how they pan out.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Disagree. The fun of the draft is ****ing about how stupid we are.

This. 

Everyone and nobody in this thread are experts. It's been fun to watch though. We'll see in a few years how this draft turned out. Those folks grading this year for a living, go back and see how they graded 3, 4, 10 years ago and how those players turned out. 

And this time next year, we'll see how different the front office looks if/when there is new ownership. 

My only review is... Felt like the board didn't fall the way they hoped. Maybe they didn't have the ok during this sale process to move up for anyone, and nobody wanted to move into their spots so they could move back. So, they drafted where their pick was for guys at least on days 1 and 2 that they believe could contribute immediately. 

That's it. Nothing sexy. Mostly safe experienced players with a lot of starts, and minimal injuries for the most part. 

• Like 3

Key factor now is getting on the phones and signing UDFA. Calling has started but the signing officially starts after the draft.  We can only hope that the players that don't get drafted sign with us as UDFA (i.e., Pace, etc. etc.).  

5 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

This. 

Everyone and nobody in this thread are experts. It's been fun to watch though. We'll see in a few years how this draft turned out. Those folks grading this year for a living, go back and see how they graded 3, 4, 10 years ago and how those players turned out. 

And this time next year, we'll see how different the front office looks if/when there is new ownership. 

My only review is... Felt like the board didn't fall the way they hoped. Maybe they didn't have the ok during this sale process to move up for anyone, and nobody wanted to move into their spots so they could move back. So, they drafted where their pick was for guys at least on days 1 and 2 that they believe could contribute immediately. 

That's it. Nothing sexy. Mostly safe experienced players with a lot of starts, and minimal injuries for the most part. 

Yeah, well, you’re no expert so no sense in paying attention to your take here. 

:ols:

• Like 1

Just now, @DCGoldPants said:

I didn't post all draft either and didn't actually "grade" any of these guys. I have no clue just like you. Just said a lot less. 

Doesn’t stop you from offering takes on every other subject on this forum, does it? But take your holier than thou stance and stand on that grandstand.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

The roster is way, way better than when Ron took over. I think he was the perfect guy to build us to a certain level, but we need someone else to take the next step. Be aggressive and add elite talent. Find a way to get an elite QB

I don't know man, it depends when you look, the team flat out imploded the season before he got here, hence the blown pick on Chase Young at 1.02, but the records are pretty damn close, 17-31 vs 22-27-1. In both cases, not horrible, but not good. Ron's team is better, but not substantially better, and the verdict seems to be, if Howell aint it, we will implode in '23, like we imploded in '19. So how different is it?

I'm not blind, I recognize we got some talent at WR, RB, if healthy, the OL might be half decent, the DL is pretty ridiculous, the Secondary is improved, but this is a sub .500 team to .500 team under Ron at best, and in an era when the NFC was collapsing to boot. 

So? Where are we exactly? I think the view that the floor is higher is right, but I dont see much ceiling, especially since the best piece of the team, the DL, are all basically on 2nd contracts or about to leave or have left in recent years....

The team was two freakish wins over the super bowl bound Eagles, and a Cowboys team running out its backups in the season finale from being 6-10-1, so, not sure what to think going forward. As I've pretty much figured all offseason, there's hope if Howell is good, and none if he isn't (I've been a Howell believer to an extent, so there's also that). 

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

We must be loaded at TE and LB.

I shouldn't be surprised we ignored LB again, but it is amazing.  With great depth at DL and DB, but not much for LB, maybe the plan is to stay in dime packages.  4th and inches.  Dime package!