Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not me. The issue remains the issue. I really liked Forbes the player yesterday, but I think we have a flawed strategy. I liked Quran Martin, too, not to your extent, but I didn’t think he was the BPA.

We drafted for need. In both picks. And I think you are really good at separating player from strategy, so I think this still resonates:

We are awful at team building. Absolutely horrendous. But our FO is EXCELLENT at identifying talent. I really have full belief that every player we draft is probably an absolute dog. And I can’t remember many players we’ve taken that I didn’t think were good.

But the strategy, man. We don’t maximize our drafts at all.

No doubt we got a flawed strategy.  I've whined about it all day. 

But its tough for me to curb my enthusiasm for the player. 

I've watched a lot of Quan this week in particular and i love his fit to this secondary. 

• Like 3

Just now, Epochalypse said:

PFF put together their all rookie team last year. Their offensive tackles were Braxton Jones and Abraham Lucas. Jones was drafted 5th round, Lucas in the 3rd. Just saying...

I love copium. Inject it directly into my veins.

1 minute ago, Epochalypse said:

PFF put together their all rookie team last year. Their offensive tackles were Braxton Jones and Abraham Lucas. Jones was drafted 5th round, Lucas in the 3rd. Just saying...

For sure. 

Forrest was a 5th rounder. Curl a 7th. Roullier a 6th. I do trust this FO ability to draft mid to late rounds. The draft is NOT over. 

I know Roullier was the previous regime. Just using him as an example 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Haha 1

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

For sure. 

Forrest was a 5th rounder. Curl a 7th. Roullier a 6th. I do trust this FO ability to draft mid to late rounds. The draft is NOT over. 

It’s not over until it’s over. And we can’t count anyone out. But the guys left are all iffy and could go either way. No sure fire definitive upgrades at this point. That doesn’t mean someone can’t step up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I hate that we go in with a position we're going to draft in advance. So narrow minded and tunnel visioned. 

I legit believe we wanted Branch at 47 and when he got taken we panicked and took the next best guy even though he's nowhere near worth that pick value.

I agree with some of this.

I likewise hate that they work the draft where they seem to target 2 positions more or less per round.  

I don't think Quan is that off of Branch and that's not me just trying to defend the pick,  I flat out made that exact statement on the draft thread three days ago.

Branch IMO is better at play recognition and is the better tackler.   Though Quan is good at those things too -- just not as good.

But Quan is the better athlete, has better ball skills -- is more of a swiss army knife considering he's just as good playing outside corner than the slot.

This secondary now is a strength IMO.  Not just OK.  It should be really good IMO. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Obviously, the “Ron is gonna mortgage the future to win now because he is a lame duck coach” narrative is nice and burnt. 

Also, when I can’t tell a Voice of Reason post apart from a tmandoug post…I need to start drinking. 

Your mistake was that you haven't been drinking since you got off work.

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with some of this.

I likewise hate that they work the draft where they seem to target 2 positions more or less per round.  

I don't think Quan is that off of Branch and that's not me just trying to defend the pick,  I flat out made that exact statement on the draft thread three days ago.

Branch IMO is better at play recognition and is the better tackler.   Though Quan is good at those things too -- just not as good.

But Quan is the better athlete, has better ball skills -- is more of a swiss army knife considering he's just as good playing outside corner than the slot.

This secondary now is a strength IMO.  Not just OK.  It should be really good IMO. 

Forbes, skill wise, is an absolute stud who is a better football player than Quan. In a vacuum, we should love Forbes exponentially. Quan, I’d agree, is not far off of Branch. 

so yes, I agree. In theory our secondary should be awesome. 

• Like 2