Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

3 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

The Davis stuff is a ridiculous pile of nonsense and distraction built on several people wanting, and getting, media attention to bolster their basic con man approach to business ventures and a media environment that features many participants who need clicks at any cost. "Any publicity is good publicity" 2023 version.

I hope you're right!

33 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

After Dan the NFL isn’t taking a risk with Davis that’s laughable.

I was however just secretly  told by the guy that plays the fake Violin in my local Kroger parking lot that he’s assembled a group thats bidding 7.5 Billion… 

But is he willing to indemnify Danny.

25 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

C'mon man. Of course I'm right. It's me.

😛

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with all of this.  My only tiny pause, and very tiny at that, is that I am wowed that Darren Haynes is williing to kamikaze his reputation because in my book that's what he's doing.   I noticed he's tried to work his way for years to build himself up -- every once in a blue moon he'd have a story.  But if the story ends up as clownish as its looking -- at least for me I'll never take him seriously again because he's gone beyond just saying the bid is credible -- he's pushing it really hard where at a minimum he's helped the story gain a little wave to it.

He might be being played or well paid….

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

he got banned?

Suicide by mod when he melted down on TK with a bunch of crapola about es stuff on some social media thingy.

Btw, back in the old days "nice mod" Om initiated a suicide by mod thread, which made more than one appearance, where the whole intent was to dare resident lemmings to jump off that cliff. I believe some bait was also left out to stimulate their self destructive instincts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Suicide by mod when he melted down on TK with a bunch of crapola about es stuff on some social media thingy.

Btw, back in the old days "nice mod" Om initiated a suicide by mod thread, which made more than one appearance, where the whole intent was to dare resident lemmings to jump off that cliff. I believe some bait was also left out to stimulate their self destructive instincts. 

Didn't know he had a meltdown with TK, but he was acting irrationally the last few months before he went "missing".

If you happened to give the fella a thumbs down, he would absolutely go nuclear.

Hope the old boy is getting better. But it was probably for the best as he definitely needed some time away from the keyboard. 

HTTR!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

I've read some of the Davis stuff which turned me off to him, but this article is the kicker, i am going from 99% to fully 100% relaxed that his bid is nothing to worry about -- and if Darren Haynes and Lillingham etc want to keep pushing the story so be it. 

https://deadspin.com/is-there-anyone-whos-not-suing-christian-laettner-and-b-5891960

Is There Anyone Who's NOT Suing Christian Laettner And Brian Davis?

PublishedMarch 9, 2012

Christian Laettner and Brian Davis were excellent college basketball players. But they appear to be terrible businessmen. After winning two national championships at Duke, Laettner and Davis started a real estate company called Blue Devil Ventures. Things went well at first. By 2006, however, Laettner and Davis were in major money trouble. That's when the litigation started, as the Wall Street Journal reports.

First, Scottie Pippen sued Laettner and Davis after a bid by the former Duke players to buy the Memphis Grizzlies imploded because of insufficient funding. Pippen helped finance the bid but never got his money back. A judge ruled last August that Laettner and Davis owed Pippen $2.55 million. Pippen still hasn't gotten his money back.

Laettner and Davis were later sued by Fannie Mae, Chevron Inc., and a Duke law professor for the same reason—failure to repay loans. Laettner and Davis had by then expanded their business to other cities and without their original partner, Tom Niemann, a Duke business school grad who favored a conservative approach. At one point, this clash in philosophy led to a tense lunch meeting that ended, according to the Wall Street Journal, with "Davis lifting the 5-foot-8 Niemann off the ground."

Shawne Merriman was another lender who was never repaid. A federal judge ruled in January that Laettner and Davis had to pay Merriman $3.7 million. All told, Laettner and Davis are now fending off lawsuits seeking repayment of loans worth about $30 million. The saddest of all these might be the one brought by Johnny Dawkins, the former Duke captain. Last year, the judge in that case ordered Laettner, Davis, and a company of theirs to pay Dawkins $671,309.

Laettner and Davis say they don't have the scratch. But they could always borrow money from someone else to cover. Might I suggest Vinny Four Fingers at the clam house?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've read some of the Davis stuff which turned me off to him, but this article is the kicker, i am going from 99% to fully 100% relaxed that his bid is nothing to worry about -- and if Darren Haynes and Lillingham etc want to keep pushing the story so be it. 

https://deadspin.com/is-there-anyone-whos-not-suing-christian-laettner-and-b-5891960

Is There Anyone Who's NOT Suing Christian Laettner And Brian Davis?

PublishedMarch 9, 2012

Christian Laettner and Brian Davis were excellent college basketball players. But they appear to be terrible businessmen. After winning two national championships at Duke, Laettner and Davis started a real estate company called Blue Devil Ventures. Things went well at first. By 2006, however, Laettner and Davis were in major money trouble. That's when the litigation started, as the Wall Street Journal reports.

First, Scottie Pippen sued Laettner and Davis after a bid by the former Duke players to buy the Memphis Grizzlies imploded because of insufficient funding. Pippen helped finance the bid but never got his money back. A judge ruled last August that Laettner and Davis owed Pippen $2.55 million. Pippen still hasn't gotten his money back.

The good news is that if Davis now has $50B in net worth due to his newly found wealth from selling that IP, he can afford to pay Scotty back after all these years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Didn't know he had a meltdown with TK, but he was acting irrationally the last few months before he went "missing".

If you happened to give the fella a thumbs down, he would absolutely go nuclear.

Hope the old boy is getting better. But it was probably for the best as he definitely needed some time away from the keyboard. 

HTTR!

I never read what he said specifically on social media, but just the hints of his vile and depraved comments that appeared  here on the forum, made it obvious that he had gone so far over the line, not only with respect to violating forum rules but in violating basic human decency, that there was simply no coming back for him after that. 

Banning him was actually a merciful act.

Like you, @Skinsfan4128,  I also  noticed that in the last few months before his exit he went from making occasional caustic  but harmless barbs at posters, he had legitimate disagreements with, to instigating demented and deranged attacks and threats over minor, completely inconsequential, points.

It was clear that he was suffering and disturbed for some reason and taking out his frustrations on any object he encountered.

I just hope that he was that way only on the anonymous Internet and that it didn't spill over into his real world interactions.

I wish him well, wherever he is.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Dang, that had to really be in the before times cuz I have no memory of that even in my lurker-not-member days.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun read tho...

• Thumb up 1

$7 billion and a prayer

A source informed Haynes that Davis accrued the capital for a late $7 billion cash offer to purchase the Commanders by selling his intellectual property as CEO of Urban Echo Energy, which advertises itself as the first LEED-certified green developer of renewable assets in America, which private investors realized is worth $50 billion in total. Those are some wildly hyperbolic claims.

That’s just one of several red flags in Davis’ bid. For one, it relies on a layaway plan in which Davis would front $1 billion immediately and $6 billion within seven days. When contrasted with the fully-financed bid from Harris’ group, Davis shouldn’t have a chance, which is why he offered an extra billion and offered to indemnify Snyder from future civil litigation stemming from alleged malfeasance during his stint as owner.

Past is prologue for Davis here too. In 2006, Davis’ bid to buy the majority share of the Memphis Grizzlies would have made him one of the youngest team owners in NBA history. Then-owner Michael Heisley agreed to sell his 70 percent controlling interest in the Grizzlies to a consortium led by Davis and Laettner for $360 million. However, their inability to come up with the money sank that deal.

Seems like a stretch

It’s a little hard to believe that this will be any different — Front Office Sports business reporter A.J. Perez has insisted that Harris remains the bid Snyder plans to finalize. However, nothing is set in stone, and when it comes to Snyder nobody ever knows what’s truly going on in his twisted head.

There are only three ways this can end. Either Snyder accepts the initial bid from Harris and disappears from the sightline of Washingtonians forever or he drags this out, the offer from Davis turns out to be legitimate or the financials disintegrate under scrutiny, and the whole thing is exposed as a means for Davis to drum up support for his fledgling green energy company.

Brian Davis could be a glorious underdog story. It could also go horribly wrong leaving the Commanders owned by a shadowy figure who may or may not have spread his bank account too thin competing against the Denver Wal-Marts, Jerry Joneses, and Stan Kroenkes sports ownership empires.

Whether Davis has the remaining $6 billion in six days or two months or not, it would take a leap of imagination for the potential winning bid to be made by an individual, who didn’t have the balance sheet to buy the Grizzlies, 17 years ago, was short on funds to buy the Commanders a few months ago, but is now paying a surcharge to buy his hometown team on layaway.

Gone are the days when a John Spano type could scam their way into purchasing a pro franchise without the wherewithal. The NFL’s finance committee will ultimately have to approve the final sale, but the Commanders need a sure thing.

Revamping the Commanders goes beyond rebuilding the roster, improving front office infrastructure, and making sound hires. They also need to curry favor with local politicians and build a life-sized stadium inside the cramped nation’s capital after Snyder’s mothballed proposal had the Commanders moving into a miniature stadium in the hinterlands of Northern Virginia. These endeavors will get expensive. Nothing is ever easy in Snyder Land. Not even leaving.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

The Davis stuff is a ridiculous pile of nonsense and distraction built on several people wanting, and getting, media attention to bolster their basic con man approach to business ventures and a media environment that features many participants who need clicks at any cost. "Any publicity is good publicity" 2023 version.

Is Billy McFarland part of their group?

• Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

$7 billion and a prayer

A source informed Haynes that Davis accrued the capital for a late $7 billion cash offer to purchase the Commanders by selling his intellectual property as CEO of Urban Echo Energy, which advertises itself as the first LEED-certified green developer of renewable assets in America, which private investors realized is worth $50 billion in total. Those are some wildly hyperbolic claims.

That’s just one of several red flags in Davis’ bid. For one, it relies on a layaway plan in which Davis would front $1 billion immediately and $6 billion within seven days. When contrasted with the fully-financed bid from Harris’ group, Davis shouldn’t have a chance, which is why he offered an extra billion and offered to indemnify Snyder from future civil litigation stemming from alleged malfeasance during his stint as owner.

Past is prologue for Davis here too. In 2006, Davis’ bid to buy the majority share of the Memphis Grizzlies would have made him one of the youngest team owners in NBA history. Then-owner Michael Heisley agreed to sell his 70 percent controlling interest in the Grizzlies to a consortium led by Davis and Laettner for $360 million. However, their inability to come up with the money sank that deal.

Seems like a stretch

It’s a little hard to believe that this will be any different — Front Office Sports business reporter A.J. Perez has insisted that Harris remains the bid Snyder plans to finalize. However, nothing is set in stone, and when it comes to Snyder nobody ever knows what’s truly going on in his twisted head.

There are only three ways this can end. Either Snyder accepts the initial bid from Harris and disappears from the sightline of Washingtonians forever or he drags this out, the offer from Davis turns out to be legitimate or the financials disintegrate under scrutiny, and the whole thing is exposed as a means for Davis to drum up support for his fledgling green energy company.

Brian Davis could be a glorious underdog story. It could also go horribly wrong leaving the Commanders owned by a shadowy figure who may or may not have spread his bank account too thin competing against the Denver Wal-Marts, Jerry Joneses, and Stan Kroenkes sports ownership empires.

Whether Davis has the remaining $6 billion in six days or two months or not, it would take a leap of imagination for the potential winning bid to be made by an individual, who didn’t have the balance sheet to buy the Grizzlies, 17 years ago, was short on funds to buy the Commanders a few months ago, but is now paying a surcharge to buy his hometown team on layaway.

Gone are the days when a John Spano type could scam their way into purchasing a pro franchise without the wherewithal. The NFL’s finance committee will ultimately have to approve the final sale, but the Commanders need a sure thing.

Revamping the Commanders goes beyond rebuilding the roster, improving front office infrastructure, and making sound hires. They also need to curry favor with local politicians and build a life-sized stadium inside the cramped nation’s capital after Snyder’s mothballed proposal had the Commanders moving into a miniature stadium in the hinterlands of Northern Virginia. These endeavors will get expensive. Nothing is ever easy in Snyder Land. Not even leaving.

"...Davis’ bid...relies on a layaway plan in which Davis would front $1 billion immediately and $6 billion within seven days."

I hate to admit this but I actually love Brian Davis and his ingenious “layaway plan”.

In fact, I’m headed straight to McDonalds to try it out…

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 9