Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I know it’s a small point, but I really wish reporters would at least get the facts right. 

The owners vote tomorrow. Almost certainly the official closing of the deal between the Snyder’s and the Harris Group will take place Friday. Maybe tomorrow but that’s a lot to get done in one day.   Is that perfunctory? Yes.  But that’s like the home closing.  It takes a while, there are a lot of papers to sign, it’s a legal thing, etc.  

It’s a small point but it shows a lack of just basic research.  And is aggravating.  

So most likely tomorrow will be the last full day. It doesn’t really matter.  And they could close tomorrow.  But I’d guess the lawyers would want a day in case there were a few minor changes coming out of the meeting tomorrow.  Unlikely but possible. 

From those covering this, they expect the wiring the money-close to happen Friday morning.  Hence I gather the rally at Fedex field with Harris appearing early that afternoon.

• Like 5

The controversy started almost as soon as Mr. Snyder bought the team. Although the Redskins went 10-6 and made the playoffs in the first season, the goodwill that season generated dissipated when he became the first owner to charge fans to attend training camp. The policy was so unpopular that the owner had to reverse his decision and apologize the following year.

Just a small correction. I believe the problem wasn't unpopularity, but that charging admission allowed other teams' FO personnel the ability to attend Redskins practices as long as they paid the admission fee. The Redskins couldn't kick them out or bar them like they normally would.

A prime early example of Doofus Dan shooting himself in the foot...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From those covering this, they expect the wiring the money-close to happen Friday morning.  Hence I gather the rally at Fedex field with Harris appearing early that afternoon.

Exactly.  Which means Scott Abraham's tweet, and let's just for a minute remember that he's a reporter and anchor for ABC7. 

Again, it's a very small point and honestly an irrelevant one, but it's also almost certainly factually incorrect, yet he tweeted it out,

One of his responsibilities as a reporter/anchor is to at least get the timeline right. 

Reporters in general have just gotten lazy, mostly because they don't have to be "right" anymore. It's very disappointing.

I have no real opinion towards Scott one way or the other.  I know Jason Wright took him to task last year because of the way he questioned Wentz.  I personally didn't think he was out of line, just maybe a bit direct, but eh, fine, who cares.  I don't want the local news or listen to him unless he's on with anybody I do care about.

But he's on one of the big 3 local networks.  He should do better. 

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Part of me doesn't believe he didn't know about Eskin and it was part of his schtick that he was surprised, it adds to the drama.

I've criticized Sheehan on and off over the years but at the same time i got to give him some due.  in my mind he's a legend.  I am a bit of a radio talk show fantatic forever.  And for my taste he's the best of all time in my years listening to radio coverage of this team -- so there is a limit to how much he can upset me.  :ols:  I'd miss him if he left his gig.

I like your dudes too.  Galdi i've been listening to forever.  I'd even listen to his Saturday show back in the day.  Also a legend.  And as to Bram, I used to call in to his original show, Redskins lunch.  Love him, too.  Sheehan frustrates me from time to time but he's IMO the best who covered this team as to a radio talk show host since I've been listening for the last 20 years or so.   So there is a limit to how much he can upset me.   More than anything, I appreciate his passion for sports and can off the cuff cover anything about this team whether I agree with him or not.

Sheehan was my favorite for years.  And he was a pro's pro, he could really have chemistry with anybody. He had terrific chemistry with Cooley.  His coverage of the Sean Taylor tragedy was absolutely spectacular.  I agree, he's a legend.

The problem is, over the past, I don't know, maybe 2-4 years, especially after Cooley dropped off his podcast as a regular, he's basically lost a lot of the things which made him a legend. He used to have interesting takes, mix humor with good analysis, conduct a good interview, bring a lifelong fan perspective, and a general good business perspective, to his shows.

But all that changed.  Granted, I haven't listened regularly in a while, so it's possible things changed recently.  But I think what typifies his show now is what happened the day after McLaurin signed his long term deal last off-season: he started the show with 1) We're so bad this is the best thing to happen to us, but it really isn't that good so let me pop your bubble, 2) He's good but not that good, I would take 5-10 WRs before McLaurin, and 3) none of this matters because Snyder, and then was off on Snyder sucking for 15 minutes.  

That was kindof the last straw for me.  I don't need a radio host to blow sunshine up my ass, but I also don't need to hear how terrible everything is because of the owner for 20 hours a week. We get it.  There is no new in formation on the topic.  Move on.  

Sheehan's podcast devolved into basically 4 areas, and only one of them is remotely interesting to me:

1. Ranting about Snyder

2. Wizards talk

3. Gambling talk

4. Interviews with SVP from time to time.  ** This is the one which is interesting.  Because with SVP, he actually seems to get some of his old juice back. 

The rest is just regurgitated dribble.  When squeaky is on, it's 5 times worse.  Squeaky is a force multiplier of negativity.   I don't think he prepares for his shows as much anymore, either.  And he makes up stuff to further his point.  

I'm hoping he can pull himself out of it when Snyder is officially out of the picture.  I'll start listening again.  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I know it’s a small point, but I really wish reporters would at least get the facts right. 

Scott Abraham is a tool. I wanted to post the response, with Snyder's face posted over Geoffrey from GoT.

55 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sheehan was my favorite for years.  And he was a pro's pro, he could really have chemistry with anybody. He had terrific chemistry with Cooley.  His coverage of the Sean Taylor tragedy was absolutely spectacular.  I agree, he's a legend.

The problem is, over the past, I don't know, maybe 2-4 years, especially after Cooley dropped off his podcast as a regular, he's basically lost a lot of the things which made him a legend. He used to have interesting takes, mix humor with good analysis, conduct a good interview, bring a lifelong fan perspective, and a general good business perspective, to his shows.

I agree that Sheehan was better years ago.  He admits he's gotten cranky about this team and isn't as passionate as before about it.  I get that.  i've somehow kept my passion but i too am crankier because of Dan.  And hopefully within time after he leaves the crankiness wanes.   

Personally I am giddy that Dan is leaving.  The only thing that tempers my enthusiasm is I don't think Ron set up this team to capitalize off of the momentum.  But regardless, this should change everything.

You may recall i among a few others talked, last summer, about the possibility of Dan selling sooner than later -- and we took some arrows from some for being "naive" and spreading silly false hope on that thread.   But part of my optimism then was Sheehan ironically saying he believes Dan will sell and it will happen sooner than later.   It didn't feel to me as pie in the sky at that juncture, not just because of Sheehan but some other narratives that were brewing at the time.  I am surprised Sheehan doesn't gloat about that much considering he likes to gloat about his predictions.

I think to me with Sheehan its lol I think it went to his head a bit when he worked with Cooley because they got into player evaluations and then Sheehan occasionally would dive into it, too.  And he thought he outdid Cooley when he touted Corey Clement where Cooley disagreed at the time.  And for a few games Clement looked good.  Ultimately he had a meh career and crashed.  But for a spell Sheehan had Cooley saying Sheehan knows RBs better than him.  Then it was Sheehan loving Kerryon Johnson before that draft, he went on and on about him.  Kerryon also had a "meh" career.  Though Sheehan got some right, some wrong like all of us. 

But what frustrates me is if he's going to be like Skip Bayless and married to his predictions, then own up to the good and the bad.  He will only own up to some of his bad predictions.  And the good ones he will remind listeners many times about how "he got it right".      And its OK to change your mind and owning up to what you got wrong.

Early Sheehan didn't really care from what I recall about playing amateur personnel guy and about being right.  :ols:. Lets take Terry, he said early on in career that this fan base overrated him.  That's cool.  But its OK to admit you were wrong.  He has a hard time doing that.  Even with this most recent ranking from the NFL executives, where Terry was ranked #9, Sheehan couldn't help saying he doesn't deserve top 10 status.   He can't let it go.  :ols:  Heck his pal Cooley can admit it when he was wrong.  Cooley argued with McCloughan about Kendall Fuller when they took him in the draft.  he said later he was wrong, Fuller is a good player.  I respect that more than those that keep digging in.

Having said that, Sheehan is still very informed.  He's passionate about sports.  He can go backwards and forwards talking about this team.   And he's rarely boring.  So lol, even a bit of neutered version of Sheehan IMO is the best in the town for my taste.   He's entertaining IMO and consistently so.

Your guy, Galdi might be my #2.  A note about him he worshipps PFF and analytics by a mile over anyone who covers this team so its ironic for me that you dig him considering that.  If PFF has an article that covers any player on this team somehow even just a small mention in the soup, he's getting that PFF guy on his show.  Heck when you were hitting me back on the PFF anayltics take on building a roster -- ironically the material for me on that was from Galdi who has the PFF money guy on his show over and over again.  If I had to say one way Galdi has changed over the years its that he's gone from being into anayltics to being borderline obsessed with it now.    

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Snider is right about Snyder in this sense: not respecting football people. That info about Snyder ignoring the advice of analytics folks who recommended saving draft picks, and instead trading up to draft some clown who was ultimately a bust because he wanted to 'win now' in 2006 is case in point...and he clearly didn't learn anything because he did the same thing with Haskins in 2019.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

It is amazing how Snyder was as bad of an owner as possible: product on the field, fan experience, how he treated people, just an overall failure on all counts, and yet still gets that insane ROI.  The NFL is a guaranteed cash cow.

If you think he’ll be a happy man after all of this, you’re wrong.

58 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

If you think he’ll be a happy man after all of this, you’re wrong.

I don't think he is or will be happy.  He was already rich, so I don't think being more rich is as special as owning his childhood favorite team has been. I don't think he wants to sell, just knows he doesn't have any better options.  Plus I assume there will be litigation.  He will never have a platform that would enable him to potentially redeem himself, so his reputation/legend as a buffoon is pretty much cemented.  

My previous comment was just how amazing the NFL money making machine is.  It's literally idiot proof.

Snyder did the worst thing any owner could do early on.  He made it all about himself and then acted on his worst impulses.  Rick Snider is right, and I’ve made this point many times here as well.  Snyder thought he was so smart with his “go **** yourself” money he could come in with nearly zero football experience and be the key player in building a NFL winner.  In reality, he treated the team like a reactionary fan would…because at the end of the day despite all his money that is all he was.  A rich fan…no more qualified to run an NFL football team than anybody reading this post.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1