Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Worth noting the June 1st designation means that our cap space right now hasn’t changed and that space only becomes available on that date. 

Kam Curl, extension incoming or holdout coming ?

As well as Norwell, and Fuller that I’ve already mentioned, Gibson is another one for me. Could be a surprise move there. 3mil salary, 3 mil cap saving. If it was true pre draft we were looking to move him, then EB can’t like what he sees IMO.

5 hours ago, “Misdirection” said:

Fuller is not injured or awful enough to be outright cut. He’s an average NFL corner with stretches of above average (and below average) play. Volatile like all corners. He’s 28. Makes a decent amount but if they really wanted him gone he has too much value to just release. Hell either be traded for a mid/late pick, walk in FA for a potential comp, or get signed to an extension to bring the # down.

I suspect nothing happens til ownership is resolved. 

He has safety versatility too that this team never used here. I believe he played some safety for the Chiefs. I agree. Of all the vets, he’s a guy you keep for this year

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Did McCain or McK get a June 1st designation?

Team only gets 2.  Roullier we know was post June.1 desgination..  If they want to push some money to next year for Norwell I think they have to wait until actual June.  But again IDK if they used a June 1 for the other guys.

Projected roster post draft:

Special Teams (3):

PK (1):  Slye

P (1):  Way

LS (1):  Cheeseman

Offense (26)

QB (2):  Howell, Brissett (Fromm to Practice Squad)

OL (10):  Leno, Paul, Gates, Cosmi, Wylie, Lucas, Stromberg, Daniels, Charles, Larson (could be 9 if Larson is on PUP)

RB (4):  Robinson, Gibson, Rodiguez, Williams

TE (5):  Thomas, Bates, Turner, Rogers, Hodges

WR (5):  McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Milne (could be replaced by a KR/PR)

Defense (24):

DT (5):  Allen, Payne, Ridgeway, Mathis, Obada

DE (5):  Young, Sweat, JSW, Henry, Toohill

LB. (4): Davis,  Barton, Mayo, Eifler

CB (5):  Fuller, BSJ, Forbes, Johnson, Holmes (bubble guy who could get cut considering Martin is slated as the slot CB)

S (5):  Curl, Forrest, Butler, Martin, Reeves

Andre Jones (7th rounder) could sneak in.  Ditto Kemp as a ST WR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Special Teams (3):

Offense (26)

OL (10):  Leno, Paul, Gates, Cosmi, Wylie, Lucas, Stromberg, Daniels, Charles, Larson (could be 9 if Larson is on PUP)

Defense (24):

CB (5):  Fuller, BSJ, Forbes, Johnson, Holmes (bubble guy who could get cut considering Martin is slated as the slot CB)

Some random thoughts on this:

RB - With Williams and Patterson not really offering anything unique to the position, and since we don’t have a scat back option (maybe Kaz Allen though), I’m not sure if it makes sense to carry 4.

Receiver depth is going to be interesting, but at the same time, the options there look pretty weak.  Kaz Allen (if they consider him a receiver) and Kemp are intriguing for ST.

OL is going to be fascinating.  So many questions there.  Really hoping the young guys stand out - Paul, Stromberg, Daniels, and Brooks.

5 TEs seems like a lot.  Didn’t realize Hodges is 6’7… dang.

With Obada’s ability to play both dline spots (JSW to a degree too), I wonder if they might carry 9 instead.  I’d love to see the two rookie DEs make it (or WBK to take a big step) if they keep 10 dline.  Uphill battle against the vets, but I’d rather some potential there than 3 DE vets for depth (Toohill, JSW, Obada).

Kinda looking forward to the depth competition at corner - DJ vs Dantzler vs Homes, with Wildgoose/Castro-Fields having an outside shot.

Wonder if Armah can carve out a spot for himself at FB.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Some random thoughts on this:

RB - With Williams and Patterson not really offering anything unique to the position, and since we don’t have a scat back option (maybe Kaz Allen though), I’m not sure if it makes sense to carry 4.

Receiver depth is going to be interesting, but at the same time, the options there look pretty weak.  Kaz Allen (if they consider him a receiver) and Kemp are intriguing for ST.

OL is going to be fascinating.  So many questions there.  Really hoping the young guys stand out - Paul, Stromberg, Daniels, and Brooks.

5 TEs seems like a lot.  Didn’t realize Hodges is 6’7… dang.

With Obada’s ability to play both dline spots (JSW to a degree too), I wonder if they might carry 9 instead.  I’d love to see the two rookie DEs make it (or WBK to take a big step) if they keep 10 dline.  Uphill battle against the vets, but I’d rather some potential there than 3 DE vets for depth (Toohill, JSW, Obada).

Kinda looking forward to the depth competition at corner - DJ vs Dantzler vs Homes, with Wildgoose/Castro-Fields having an outside shot.

Wonder if Armah can carve out a spot for himself at FB.

Ugh, forgot about Dantzler.  We claimed him for a reason.  Give him the Holmes spot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Ugh, forgot about Dantzler.  We claimed him for a reason.  Give him the Holmes spot

As with most of these not-in-pen spots… we’ll see.  

I was thinking about that battle and wondering how much of a difference it makes that Holmes now has a year under his belt, both in the league and in this D, and it got me thinking about this D going up against a different style of offense in camp.  I could well be wrong, but feels like this might be an underrated benefit for the defensive unit - going against an offensive system that is (as far as I know) much more prevalent league-wide, let alone just a different look/tone of offense.

7 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Special Teams (3):

Offense (26)

Defense (24):

I think that is pretty good guess, but of course some things will change and its tough to project those changes.  We will likely sign another free agent or two who have a shot at making the roster and maybe one undrafted free agent will make it.  I do agree with others that its unlikely we keep 5 TE's on the 53 man roster.   

One obvious way a RB, WR or DB (those guys are the ones who get return ops) could sneak onto the team is being a great punt returner and being at least a 2-way teams guy (don't think Milne was as he doesn't seem to have any tackles) while offering decent ability to be at least 4-5 on game day. They have to be reliable (Dax, while not even average at most parts of the return game was at least reliable). We did have the worse average starting field position.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Understandable in the circumstances. And it clearly excludes the extension given to Payne which won’t fall part of this.

Spending will look different in 2024.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Maybe, depends on how many guys we bring back. I can easily see us spending disproportionately more G money outside of FA all over again.

If we hand out monster deals to Curl n Sweat n Chase and makes some mid level returns around guys like C. Sam and Lucas and Gibby and Slye and Fuller... then the majority of the G money we spend next year will not be in FA just like last year w/ Wentz and Terry and this year so far w/ Payne.

That's not a bad thing tho. If all those guys are working out the way we want them to, bring 'em back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Maybe, depends on how many guys we bring back. I can easily see us spending disproportionately more G money outside of FA all over again.

If we hand out monster deals to Curl n Sweat n Chase and makes some mid level returns around guys like C. Sam and Lucas and Gibby and Slye and Fuller... then the majority of the G money we spend next year will not be in FA just like last year w/ Wentz and Terry and this year so far w/ Payne.

That's not a bad thing tho. If all those guys are working out the way we want them to, bring 'em back.

Will be interesting times. Curl and Sweat may actually get deals this offseason, ownership and then coaching situation dependant. Curl likely doesn’t play anytime soon without a deal IMO. 

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Will be interesting times. Curl and Sweat may actually get deals this offseason, ownership and then coaching situation dependant. Curl likely doesn’t play anytime soon without a deal IMO. 

I am hoping Sweat has a big year and gets a big contract. Will need to watch him and what Chase does. Could always be franchised.

Curl has been very consistent and see no reason to expect less this year. He will be the most intriguing to watch for me.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The guaranteed money portion of thesse contracts for many players is as important as the overall sum, part of the charm of hitting FA in theory is to gain more security.

Yup, the less the guaranteed $ the less interest in signing with the team. Add in the ownership questions, Snyders midas touch and horrible facilities and becomes a shocker anyone signed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Understandable in the circumstances. And it clearly excludes the extension given to Payne which won’t fall part of this.

It’s a meaningless number given how relatively inactive we were in free agency. It’s a function of us not signing any really big names in free agency. I don’t think that decision is financially driven.

I’m personally OK with the approach - I’m not saying you don’t use free agency to fill needs or if someone really good becomes available, but the draft needs to be the main way you build your roster. 

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The guaranteed money portion of thesse contracts for many players is as important as the overall sum, part of the charm of hitting FA in theory is to gain more security.

And get money commensurate with your performance after being locked into a rookie deal in many cases. Although buyer beware on why the team that drafted the player is not giving him that next deal …

• Like 3

Special Teams (3):

PK (1):  Slye --> look to replace

Offense (26)

QB (3):  Howell, Brissett, Fromm

OT (4):  Leno, Wylie, Lucas, Daniels

IOL (5*): Gates, Stromberg, Cosmi, Paul, Charles (Larsen on PUP)

RB (3):  Robinson, Gibson, Rodriguez

WR (6):  McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Kemp, Milne/Allen

*IOL is the most likely spot they upgrade from now to season start, so we could see +1 to OL and a -1 to WR/TE. 

Defense (24):

DT (4):  Allen, Payne, Ridgeway, Mathis

DE (6):  Young, Sweat, Obada, JSW, Henry, Toohill/Jones

LB. (4): Davis, Barton, Mayo, Hudson

CB (5):  BSJ, Fuller, Forbes, Dantzler, Johnson

S (5):  Curl, Forrest, Martin, Butler, Reaves

Roster is basically set now. Just fingers crossed to scoop up a cap casualty at LG. 

10 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Special Teams (3):

PK (1):  Slye --> look to replace

Offense (26)

QB (3):  Howell, Brissett, Fromm

OT (4):  Leno, Wylie, Lucas, Daniels

IOL (5*): Gates, Stromberg, Cosmi, Paul, Charles (Larsen on PUP)

RB (3):  Robinson, Gibson, Rodriguez

WR (6):  McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Kemp, Milne/Allen

*IOL is the most likely spot they upgrade from now to season start, so we could see +1 to OL and a -1 to WR/TE. 

Defense (24):

DT (4):  Allen, Payne, Ridgeway, Mathis

DE (6):  Young, Sweat, Obada, JSW, Henry, Toohill/Jones

LB. (4): Davis, Barton, Mayo, Hudson

CB (5):  BSJ, Fuller, Forbes, Dantzler, Johnson

S (5):  Curl, Forrest, Martin, Butler, Reaves

Roster is basically set now. Just fingers crossed to scoop up a cap casualty at LG. 

This is really close to what I have. Only difference is I don’t think we keep a 3rd QB or a 5th TE unless someone really stands out. I have a 4th RB (Williams or Patterson) and an 11th DB (Holmes or Wildgoose) instead. Those guys are more proven contributors than Fromm or Hodges. 

34 minutes ago, terpfan said:

This is really close to what I have. Only difference is I don’t think we keep a 3rd QB or a 5th TE unless someone really stands out. I have a 4th RB (Williams or Patterson) and an 11th DB (Holmes or Wildgoose) instead. Those guys are more proven contributors than Fromm or Hodges. 

Hodges for a 4th RB makes sense, but not sure that guy is on the roster right now. Hodges is the guy I drop when Larsen comes off PUP.

I think you can get a couple of the fringe corners on PS as depth same as the RB position, but perhaps Holmes makes it.

Can't imagine we can't find a better replacement than Charles.  Guy hasn't done a thing and maybe we find a better UDFA or June 1 cut.

Fromm can stay on the PS as nobody will pluck him so I agree we should keep a 4th RB or WR/RB who can be our return man.

Caught up with Keim on a Bram appearance on Friday.

Not much. 

A.  He knows they want a LB from FA

B.  He believes they believe they are good with their O line. but said he got the same vibe years back and they did sign Leno when he was released

C.  Maybe another WR.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think many of us feel we are ‘good’ with the O’Line. It’s going to require a lot of things to go right for it to be ‘good’. 

Dalton Risner and Isiah Wynn are still on the free agency market. Neither is All Pro material, both have started a lot of games and are still late 20’s - interesting they are still available.

• Like 4