Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

25 minutes ago, method man said:

Are there attitude issues? Didn’t he get into a spat w Russ?

Meh. He got into a shoving match with Brett Rypien on the sideline in a blow out loss after Wilson had been sacked multiple times and I think Rypien went over and called out the O’Line for ****ty pass pro. Riser told Rypien where to go and also physically shoved him in that general direction. Not the best look but just lots of frustration all round. 

I hope we pounce on some of these cuts. Have to imagine someone who drafted a guard high will try and get cheaper and cut a young veteran who is good but overpaid. I would be looking at guards and LBs. LBs are cheap and I would like another veteran in there. I could also see another DE on a short term deal so we actually have some players under contract for 2024. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-cut-candidates-all-32-nfl-teams-joe-mixon-kenny-golladay-frank-clark-2023

Some guard option to compete with the young players we have (who have shown nothing) would be prudent.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Kendall Fuller, anyone think we’ll trade him now ? His contract far exceeds his value to the team. Player for player trade with another team is what I’m thinking. 

Anyone looking to move a LB on ?

It’s interesting to consider. He’s not old, and he’s still playing well. His contract isn’t great, but it’s not bad starting CB money. My guess is we keep him in case of injury but potentially trade him in season if Forbes is developing like we expect. I’m not sure we can just expect Forbes to immediately be our CB1. It might depend on how Forbes and BSJ look this summer.

I think it’s more likely we cut Chase Roullier and then use some of that money to sign a DE or LB.

2 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

And TEs?

Depends on what they think of Logan Thomas. They seem to still have faith in him as our TE1. And we have a lot of young athletic players at TE we are developing. 

I would guess not.

3 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I hope we pounce on some of these cuts. Have to imagine someone who drafted a guard high will try and get cheaper and cut a young veteran who is good but overpaid. I would be looking at guards and LBs. LBs are cheap and I would like another veteran in there. I could also see another DE on a short term deal so we actually have some players under contract for 2024. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-cut-candidates-all-32-nfl-teams-joe-mixon-kenny-golladay-frank-clark-2023

Some guard option to compete with the young players we have (who have shown nothing) would be prudent.

That’s an article from Feb. Some of those players are already on other teams - Mariota is with the Eagles for example.

I don’t think they trade Fuller. They won’t just leave CB to the young guys and pray they stay healthy. If they do, they deserve what they get. Their DB picks in this draft need to act as force multipliers not just fill holes, it’s not like they’ll use that $8M from Fuller for something more productive anyways. 

It is funny to consider the idea of a Fuller trade (it wouldn’t happen bc of his contract, if anything he’s a cut candidate not a trade candidate)—but it’s funny, bc has any player ever been traded away by the same team twice? Ever in NFL history? It’s rare enough to end up back on the team that traded you in the first place. Rarer still to have that happen to a player who retains value and remains worth trading a second time. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Kendall Fuller, anyone think we’ll trade him now ? His contract far exceeds his value to the team. Player for player trade with another team is what I’m thinking. 

I see the playmaking but I’m in prove it mode with Forbes regarding his ability to stay on the field. St. Juste isn’t exactly the most durable guy either. I’d rework Fuller’s contract rather than trade him. 

• Like 1

Ron is all in on the defense being elite this season, Fuller isn’t going anywhere. 

All chips have been moved to the center of the table by Ron. One time…one time… royal flush on the River. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The idea of trading or releasing Fuller is ludicrous.  The JUST got a 3rd CB so they don’t have to play Danny Johnson, why would they get rid of their mosh consistent CB and bring Danny Johnson back into play?

Very unlikely but not ludicrous. 

We also picked up Cam Dantzler off waivers and will pay him a guaranteed 3m. Now that may not sound a lot but it is in context for this FO in terms of its external FA spend in 2023. 

Danztler may also have an average CV so far in the league but he fits the mould of CB we seem to want.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Ron is all in on the defense being elite this season, Fuller isn’t going anywhere. 

All chips have been moved to the center of the table by Ron. One time…one time… royal flush on the River. 

Agreed he’s going all in, but does Fuller really make the difference in terms of being elite? 

Could bring in Rock Ya Sin to do the same job IMO and save above 5mil in cash.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The idea of trading or releasing Fuller is ludicrous.  The JUST got a 3rd CB so they don’t have to play Danny Johnson, why would they get rid of their mosh consistent CB and bring Danny Johnson back into play?

I agree about Fuller.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought DJ played fairly well.  For me, the bigger issues were 1) Fuller’s a FA next year, 2) St Juste can’t stay healthy, and 3) Wildgoose and Holmes looked bad out there, so they were 1 injury from having zero depth.

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Very unlikely but not ludicrous. 

We also picked up Cam Dantzler off waivers and will pay him a guaranteed 3m. Now that may not sound a lot but it is in context for this FO in terms of its external FA spend in 2023. 

Danztler may also have an average CV so far in the league but he fits the mould of CB we seem to want.

Agreed he’s going all in, but does Fuller really make the difference in terms of being elite? 

Could bring in Rock Ya Sin to do the same job IMO and save above 5mil in cash.

I do think there’s an element of scheme knowledge/comfort ability with Kendall that we are ignoring. He’s been in the system for years and that isn’t immediately replaceable by somebody off the street.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, “Misdirection” said:

I do think there’s an element of scheme knowledge/comfort ability with Kendall that we are ignoring. He’s been in the system for years and that isn’t immediately replaceable by somebody off the street.

I personally don’t see him starting week 1, injuries aside. Forbes, BSJ starting o/s corners with Martin nickel. Good FO would not pay a backup over 8mil in salary.

That’s said, I do like Fuller. Much like TE Thomas. Just not at that price. Roullier, if healthy, the same. Just on reduced terms.

15 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Sorry bad link.

Edited by FrFan

I'd be more interested in helping the O then trying to assemble the Infinity Gauntlet on D. Better return on investment...

No team is gonna plug all their holes so at this point you gotta make some sacrifices. I'd eat the LB position as is if we can get some more assurances on the other side of the ball.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'd be more interested in helping the O then trying to assemble the Infinity Gauntlet on D. Better return on investment...

No team is gonna plug all their holes so at this point you gotta make some sacrifices. I'd eat the LB position as is if we can get some more assurances on the other side of the ball.

Absolutely agree. Just think it's weird we seem to be all in on the D and then neglect the spot that needs the most fixing. They must be really high on Barton.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1