Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

18 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Which is why you never discuss player acquisition strategy with "Alexa" in the room.

Especially when what was actually said was, "Who can we contact to get Andrew* some luck in protecting the quarterback?"

*Norwell

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2023 at 1:25 PM, Koolblue13 said:

If we lose what I think is going to be a very high 1rst round pick, that's going to be crushing.

Harris did tank the 6ers for 3 years to stock talent. If we lost our first next year, I could see something like that happening. Bring in an entirely new FO/coaching staff in 2024. Jettison everyone worth a draft pick and a complete ground up rebuild.

Tanking rarely works in the NFL. It is especially hard when you've got coaches with scruples, a top 10 defense and probably the 2 or 3 best WR room in the NFL. Hell, we'd probably be struggling for a top 4 pick if Fromm was our starter.  In the NFL, the only team that tanked somewhat successfully (the Colts back in 2011) did not really get that much in the end (getting blown out in the conference PO game was their best result).

crazy thought.  An investigation will reveal the extent of the Commanders inquiring about Luck was when Rivera called the Colts about Wentz he also asked if they'd be willing to trade the rights to Luck so we could contact him about coming out of retirement

2 hours ago, MrJL said:

crazy thought.  An investigation will reveal the extent of the Commanders inquiring about Luck was when Rivera called the Colts about Wentz he also asked if they'd be willing to trade the rights to Luck so we could contact him about coming out of retirement

I’d be willing to bet all the money in my front left pocket this is exactly what happened.  

15 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I do agree with that general sentiment but Wynn isn’t the kind of player to make or break us.

Wynn is a good player but injury prone.  If they sign Risner or someone else, its fine.

But IMO if they decided to ride with this O line and it blows up on them 2 years in a row -- heads will likely roll and its well deserved.

I've defended Ron plenty of times.  But this off season, really shocked me.   So i don't have his back anymore.   

It almost feels like he's stitting himself up for a season that he feels won't go well and he has his excuse ready.  Hey look at this defense?  look at the playmakers?  Yeah maybe our offensive line sucks but we have some young pups who might be the solution.  And Howell had his ups and downs like any young QB this season but I think he's the guy.  And good luck to the next coaching staff -- but they deserve to give me a pat on the back for setting them up for success.  

16 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Sometimes, I feel like we aren't even trying. I can't wait for a new front office. 

Feels oddly complacent.  Maybe they have something up their sleeve.  they do have cap room to make a move. But otherwise, its an odd off season IMO.

Seems like their main move is hey we got Bieniemy -- everything else is gravy.  Whenever I listen to Keim talk about the season coming up, he often references how they are counting on Bieinimey in a big way to represent the improvement.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37614290/nfl-power-rankings-2023-32-team-poll-draft

24. Washington Commanders

Post-FA ranking: 22rd-arrow.png

Most improved: Offensive coordinator

Washington hired Eric Bieniemy as its offensive coordinator, replacing Scott Turner. Bieniemy had the same role with Kansas City, but Chiefs coach Andy Reid was the primary playcaller. Bieniemy will be the primary playcaller in Washington, where the players had lost confidence in Turner. Bieniemy's adherence to details and demanding ways should be welcomed, along with his energy. In the past three years combined, the Commanders rank 28th in points and 27th in yards. -- John Keim

Standig-athletic below

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 7.14.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 7.14.33 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But IMO if they decided to ride with this O line and it blows up on them 2 years in a row -- heads will likely roll and its well deserved.

I've defended Ron plenty of times.  But this off season, really shocked me.   So i don't have his back anymore.   

It almost feels like he's stitting himself up for a season that he feels won't go well and he has his excuse ready.  Hey look at this defense?  look at the playmakers?  Yeah maybe our offensive line sucks but we have some young pups who might be the solution.  And Howell had his ups and downs like any young QB this season but I think he's the guy.  And good luck to the next coaching staff -- but they deserve to give me a pat on the back for setting them up for success.  

That is an interesting theory.  The more this offseason plays out, the more I think that Ron is resigned to the fact that he's a dead man walking next year.  Any other coach with his record after 3 seasons would've been fired by now.  Hell, if Snyder were still the owner, and wasn't going anywhere, I would wager to bet that he would've interfered with the offseason planning, and given Ron an ultimatum for this upcoming season:  Playoffs, or you're fired.  I bet that we would've also been WAY more active in trying to get a big name QB, like Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr.  Ron sitting on his hands this offseason is definitely a result of the ownership situation, but it also sealed his fate.  He didn't do enough in the draft, nor did he make any aggressive moves towards improving the offensive line.  We should've been all over Isiah Wynn, and other free agent O-Lineman like Nate Davis, or Jawaan Taylor.  This FO dropped the ball this offseason.  The only fan excitement this offseason has been the ownership change.  The on-field product is as bland and boring as it's ever been.

This also reflects our schedule for 2023.  The NFL world didn't think much of our offseason, and clearly doesn't think much about our team next year, with 1 primetime game scheduled.  Perception is reality, unfortunately.

Edited by samy316

With Wynn off the market, Risner is interesting but a guy that interest me a lot is Jason Peters. At 40, the guy was still a good player for the Cowboys last year (over 70 PFF rating). He is probably not a fulltime starter and don't think he wants to go through training camp at this age. We do have a valuable connection to him in Juan Castillo - he has coached Peters twice in Philly and then recently in Chicago

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wynn is a good player but injury prone.  If they sign Risner or someone else, its fine.

Feels oddly complacent.  Maybe they have something up their sleeve.  they do have cap room to make a move. But otherwise, its an odd off season IMO.

Seems like their main move is hey we got Bieniemy -- everything else is gravy.  Whenever I listen to Keim talk about the season coming up, he often references how they are counting on Bieinimey in a big way to represent the improvement.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37614290/nfl-power-rankings-2023-32-team-poll-draft

24. Washington Commanders

Post-FA ranking: 22rd-arrow.png

Most improved: Offensive coordinator

Washington hired Eric Bieniemy as its offensive coordinator, replacing Scott Turner. Bieniemy had the same role with Kansas City, but Chiefs coach Andy Reid was the primary playcaller. Bieniemy will be the primary playcaller in Washington, where the players had lost confidence in Turner. Bieniemy's adherence to details and demanding ways should be welcomed, along with his energy. In the past three years combined, the Commanders rank 28th in points and 27th in yards. -- John Keim

Standig-athletic below

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 7.14.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 7.14.33 AM.png

I’m in alignment philosophically it appears with Ron not wanting to devote a lot of capital to the Oline, but agree if it blows up again that’s a bad look. I rather have 8 or so competent Olineman than 2 highly paid, 3 competent, and below average guys or whatever the mix some would want. Most here would’ve been okay with throwing 20 plus million at one Olineman who’s just good—strong pass. Not implying this is you. 

Completely bias, as I believe throwing money at veteran Olineman is a waste. Draft resources is another story. 

Just now, wit33 said:

I’m in alignment philosophically it appears with Ron not wanting to devote a lot of capital to the Oline, but agree if it blows up again that’s a bad look. I rather have 8 or so competent Olineman than 2 highly paid, 3 competent, and below average guys or whatever the mix some would want. Most here would’ve been okay with throwing 20 plus million at one Olineman who’s just good—strong pass. Not implying this is you. 

Completely bias, as I believe throwing money at veteran Olineman is a waste. The injury risk is too high, ability to find competence at the Oline at great value is high compared to other positions, and scheme/QB impact their play greatly (especially average to good Olineman), Draft resources is another story. 

But not doing anything with the Oline is borderline criminal. We go through this every single year. Our last draft with a great OT was freaking TW. It's mind boggling to me and it infuriates me. What will push me over the edge will be the first 3rd and 28 conversion our defense gives up. Jumbo will  permanent universal, J Hoffa style ban me.....lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Completely bias, as I believe throwing money at veteran Olineman is a waste. Draft resources is another story. 

They arguably don't have a single above average O lineman by reputation.  So its one heck of a roll of the dice especially on these three fronts.

A.  Ron more or less admitting that aside from QB, the O line stopped their season last year.

B.  With the Giants sort of hipster (HC-GM) operation -- this team has the national reputation as been the 4th best run in the division.  

C.  This divison has some monster D lines -- pass rush.

If you don't want to pay Brandon Sheriff or Trent Williams, cool, but then draft an O lineman high and get a young cheaper stud or two.

The Giants interior D line recently ranked by an outfit as the best in the league.  Eagles loaded thoughout the D line.  Dallas is better at edge but also used

I defended Ron a lot over the years.  But this off season, I think he bombed.  I didn't feel that way about the previous off seasons.  But lol, maybe its a good omen that I am down on this off season. :ols:  I love Ron the dude, I am rooting for him, I'd love to be wrong. 

But it doesn't feel good right now for me.  the kicker for me is Ron is so honest that you can get the vibe sometimes of what he thinks and I am getting the vibe that he knows he didn't kill it this off season, too.   He doesn't come off like a dude who is that confident about this season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, samy316 said:

That is an interesting theory.  The more this offseason plays out, the more I think that Ron is resigned to the fact that he's a dead man walking next year.  Any other coach with his record after 3 seasons would've been fired by now.  Hell, if Snyder were still the owner, and wasn't going anywhere, I would wager to bet that he would've interfered with the offseason planning, and given Ron an ultimatum for this upcoming season:  Playoffs, or you're fired.  I bet that we would've also been WAY more active in trying to get a big name QB, like Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr.  Ron sitting on his hands this offseason is definitely a result of the ownership situation, but it also sealed his fate.  He didn't do enough in the draft, nor did he make any aggressive moves towards improving the offensive line.  We should've been all over Isiah Wynn, and other free agent O-Lineman like Nate Davis, or Jawaan Taylor.  This FO dropped the ball this offseason.  The only fan excitement this offseason has been the ownership change.  The on-field product is as bland and boring as it's ever been.

This also reflects our schedule for 2023.  The NFL world didn't think much of our offseason, and clearly doesn't think much about our team next year, with 1 primetime game scheduled.  Perception is reality, unfortunately.

I like to juxtapose our siutation with the Giants because arguably the Eagles-Dallas are competiing for the top spot and we likely battle with the Giants for 3rd.

On paper the Giants had the off season that Ron probably wanted to have with the power of hindsight -- both in terms of going heavy in addressing a weakness and also being an interesting one for a fan base.   I think Ron needed to have an off season like that to sell new ownership.  But he didn't have one unless there is some surprise release of a player that they pounce on akin to the Desean Jackson signing from years back.

The Giants were the team already working with prosperity -- they were already 3rd in the league in fan attendance and have the national media admiration that it feels like Ron wants and is annoyed that he didn't get.   And they won a playoff game last year.

I'd bet its jarring to him that the Giants got 5 prime time games.  We got zero games for Sunday or Monday.  The national media and league is collectively yawning at this team.  That's the good news, the bad news is most expect this team to suck.  The Junkies polled the fan base and the fans are expecting a down year.

I used to think while Ron is likely a goner in 2024, I'd think no way he gets fired during the 2023 season.  Now I think its in play and as much as I like Ron part of me would likely to see it happen because of what I think is a total lack of reading the room.

IMO he didn't have to have an exciting off season.  Rebuild that O line -- it would be boring to see that go down but the action should result in a better team and help set up Howell for success.   So that version of boring IMO would have been good.  If he didn't do that -- at least draft a dude or sign a dude that lets say a parent bringing their kid to a game in celebration of new ownership would be jazzed to see.  He did neither thing.

Josh Harris is known for wanting an outside the box thinker at GM and by nature he is aggressive.  lol, it almost feels like Ron did the opposite just to flout him and is ready to go off to pasture with Dan.     

Basically in short, Ron made his bed where the best splash for Harris to make is to fire Ron if he starts off slow.  And If that happens I'd endorse it.  Because while I liked, not loved, how Ron has approached previous drafts-off seasons -- its just beyond bizzare to me that he took the pedal off the gas in off season #4.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 7.12.19 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like to juxtapose our siutation with the Giants because arguably the Eagles-Dallas are competiing for the top spot and we likely battle with the Giants for 3rd.

On paper the Giants had the off season that Ron probably wanted to have with the power of hindsight -- both in terms of going heavy in addressing a weakness and also being an interesting one for a fan base.   I think Ron needed to have an off season like that to sell new ownership.  But he didn't have one unless there is some surprise release of a player that they pounce on akin to the Desean Jackson signing from years back.

The Giants were the team already working with prosperity -- they were already 3rd in the league in fan attendance and have the national media admiration that it feels like Ron wants and is annoyed that he didn't get.   And they won a playoff game last year.

I'd bet its jarring to him that the Giants got 5 prime time games.  We got zero games for Sunday or Monday.  The national media and league is collectively yawning at this team.  That's the good news, the bad news is most expect this team to suck.  The Junkies polled the fan base and the fans are expecting a down year.

I used to think while Ron is likely a goner in 2024, I'd think no way he gets fired during the 2023 season.  Now I think its in play and as much as I like Ron part of me would likely to see it happen because of what I think is a total lack of reading the room.

IMO he didn't have to have an exciting off season.  Rebuild that O line -- it would be boring to see that go down but the action should result in a better team and help set up Howell for success.   So that version of boring IMO would have been good.  If he didn't do that -- at least draft a dude or sign a dude that lets say a parent bringing their kid to a game in celebration of new ownership would be jazzed to see.  He did neither thing.

Josh Harris is known for wanting an outside the box thinker at GM and by nature he is aggressive.  lol, it almost feels like Ron did the opposite just to flout him and is ready to go off to pasture with Dan.     

Basically in short, Ron made his bed where the best splash for Harris to make is to fire Ron if he starts off slow.  And If that happens I'd endorse it.  Because while I liked, not loved, how Ron has approached previous drafts-off seasons -- its just beyond bizzare to me that he took the pedal off the gas in off season #4.

Bingo.  I said this in the 2023 schedule thread a few days ago.  I think we will be on "Fire Ron Watch" early this upcoming season.  Week 5 on TNF at home against the Bears is a date that I'm predicting could be Ron's last game here in Washington.  That's their lone primetime game this year.  We all remember last year's TNF game in Chicago against the same team.  It was widely ridiculed, and both teams looked like they shouldn't be anywhere near a primetime slot.  If we lose that game at home, and end up with a 1-4 record after 5 games, that's when I think a change could occur.  Ron's team CANNOT get off to another slow start, and expect to maintain his job by mid-season.  This team has to be at least 2-2 or better going into Week 5.  His job depends on it.

Edited by samy316

If we do start terribly next year I think harris could consider firing Ron but it won't be because he wants to make a mid season improvement it'll be because he doesn't. 

He may want the disfunction to ensure we get a shot at the best quarterback as opposed to going on our traditional mid season winning streak to finish with a draft pick in the teens.

But I'd guess the start would have to be really terrible like 1-6 or something. 

5 hours ago, samy316 said:

I bet that we would've also been WAY more active in trying to get a big name QB, like Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr. 

C'mon now ... there was no way either of those guys were coming here.  Coach dropped the ball on plenty of things, but you can't pretend he had a chance at them.

vice no GIF by Munchies

:229:The Rook

8 minutes ago, The Rook said:

C'mon now ... there was no way either of those guys were coming here.  Coach dropped the ball on plenty of things, but you can't pretend he had a chance at them.

vice no GIF by Munchies

Oh, I agree with that.  I'm just saying that the air of desperation would've been too thick to cut with a knife, had Dan Snyder not had the intention of selling the team.  He would definitely be exploring all options on how to get both QB's here to DC.  In the case of Aaron Rodgers, we would've probably given up 2-3 1st round picks AND kept Rodgers salary as it's current number, to entice him to come to DC.  This would've been the offseason where he would interfere and stick his nose into FO affairs, to get some interest and spotlight back onto the Commanders.  I bet it killed him that 3 NFC East teams made the playoffs last year, and all won at least one game, while we were sitting at home.

Edited by samy316

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

Oh, I agree with that.  I'm just saying that the air of desperation would've been too thick to cut with a knife, had Dan Snyder not had the intention of selling the team.  He would definitely be exploring all options on how to get both QB's here to DC.  In the case of Aaron Rodgers, we would've probably given up 2-3 1st round picks AND kept Rodgers salary as it's current number, to entice him to come to DC.

Well, heck, why not Mahomes?

200.gif

Just now, The Rook said:

Well, heck, why not Mahomes?

200.gif

LOL, if that was possible, I'm sure they would've explored that option too.  It sucks to be one of those teams without a franchise QB.  Nothing matters until you get that guy.