Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: U.S. attorney reviewing documents marked classified from Joe Biden's vice presidency found at Biden think tank

China

U.S. attorney reviewing documents marked classified from Joe Biden's vice presidency found at Biden think tank

Attorney General Merrick Garland has assigned the U.S. attorney in Chicago to review documents marked classified that were found at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement in Washington, two sources with knowledge of the inquiry told CBS News. The roughly 10 documents are from President Biden's vice-presidential office at the center, the sources said. CBS News has learned the FBI is also involved in the U.S. attorney's inquiry.

The material was identified by personal attorneys for Mr. Biden on Nov. 2, just before the midterm elections, Richard Sauber, special counsel to the president confirmed. The documents were discovered when Mr. Biden's personal attorneys "were packing files housed in a locked closet to prepare to vacate office space at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, D.C.," Sauber said in a statement to CBS News. The documents were contained in a folder that was in a box with other unclassified papers, the sources said. The sources revealed neither what the documents contain nor their level of classification. A source familiar with the matter told CBS News the documents did not contain nuclear secrets. 

Sauber also said that on the same day the material was discovered, Nov. 2, the White House counsel's office notified the National Archives, which took possession of the materials the following morning.

Click on the link for the full article

Classified Documents Found in Second Location Associated With Biden

President Biden’s aides found a new batch of classified documents at a second location associated with Mr. Biden, according to a person familiar with the situation — the second disclosure in three days of his retention of government files dating from his vice presidency.

It is not clear where or when the documents were recovered. But Mr. Biden’s aides have been scouring various places since November, when his lawyers discovered a handful of classified documents, which included briefing materials on foreign countries, when they were closing a think tank office in Washington.

The discovery of the second batch was earlier reported by NBC News on Wednesday.

A White House spokesman and a member of Mr. Biden’s legal team did not immediately return requests for comment. A spokesman for the Justice Department declined to comment.

The new revelation is sure to intensify Republican attacks on Mr. Biden, who has called former President Donald J. Trump irresponsible for hoarding sensitive documents at his private club and residence in Florida. This week, the new Republican chairman of the House oversight committee issued a far-ranging request to the National Archives and Records Administration, which is supposed to receive all highly sensitive materials after an administration leaves office, for documents and correspondence.

Click on the link for the full article

2 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Wake me when Biden ignores a subpoena, lies about not having any documents to hand over, and when there's a video of the documents being moved from one place to another after the DoJ subpoena.

Or let's hold them all accountable for not properly handling classified documents and not blow it off. We can be hard on Biden and it not be lessening Trumps craptasticness. 

It's great he and his people didn't lie about it when discovered. It's still a big eff up and someone needs to crack down with some consequences for politicians, it's unacceptable. These people are ignoring document handling requirements and introducing risk to our country, documents that are Top Secret are that way for a reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

Wake me when Biden ignores a subpoena, lies about not having any documents to hand over, and when there's a video of the documents being moved from one place to another after the DoJ subpoena.

I agree.  This is not a small difference.  

• Like 1

If he did something wrong he should be punished, just like anyone else.

Though I do have to say it's sort of hilarious to see the right trying to figure out how to simultaneously stir up outrage over this while doing their best to not remind their base that Trump did about 20x worse and is currently under criminal investigation for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Certainly Trump is way, 20x worse.  But first we had Clinton, than Trump, now Biden.  Do politicians not give a rat about protecting classified documents?  Do they have different rules?  Does their staff have different rules?  

There are probably too many classified documents. Stuff that probably doesn’t need to be classified.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

If he did something wrong he should be punished, just like anyone else.

Though I do have to say it's sort of hilarious to see the right trying to figure out how to simultaneously stir up outrage over this while doing their best to not remind their base that Trump did about 20x worse and is currently under criminal investigation for it.

I feel like 20x worse is still an understatement.  Closer to 20 magnitudes worse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Certainly Trump is way, 20x worse.  But first we had Clinton, than Trump, now Biden.  Do politicians not give a rat about protecting classified documents?  Do they have different rules?  Does their staff have different rules?  

Well, I suspect that it's mostly a case of "they're human". And yes, there's elements of your factors. 

14 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Thank you.  This is embarrassingly simple.  Had Trump returned the documents as soon as he or his team realized they had them, then this would have been a non-issue.  Period, end of story.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Or let's hold them all accountable for not properly handling classified documents and not blow it off. We can be hard on Biden and it not be lessening Trumps craptasticness. 

It's great he and his people didn't lie about it when discovered. It's still a big eff up and someone needs to crack down with some consequences for politicians, it's unacceptable. These people are ignoring document handling requirements and introducing risk to our country, documents that are Top Secret are that way for a reason. 

No one's saying otherwise. The point I'm making is that if Trump had done the same thing Biden did, it would have lasted a few days in the news and on twitter, then faded away (outside of some discussion talking about how there needs to be more safeguards in place to keep this from continuing). But Trump's issue was not taking documents with him, it was the deliberate attempt to keep them when he was asked to give them back, and the attempt at obstructing justice to do so. Those two things are what lead to the FBI "raid"/search of Mar-A-Lago...that's what was important in all of this. White House presidents/vice-presidents taking classified documents with them when they leave office is a separate issue, and one we don't even slightly know enough about yet (in this case at least) to draw any conclusions. But we knew a LOT about Trump's attempts to not return the documents and to pretend he didn't have any to give back to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

The point I'm making is that if Trump had done the same thing Biden did, it would have lasted a few days in the news and on twitter, then faded away (outside of some discussion talking about how there needs to be more safeguards in place to keep this from continuing).

Remember that the National Archives tried to get Trump to return the documents for six months and nobody even knew about it until the FBI had to raid Mar a Lago.  So, if Trump had done the same thing Biden did, it would not have lasted a few days in the news and on Twitter, it would never have even been on the news or Twitter. 

• Thanks 4

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Remember that the National Archives tried to get Trump to return the documents for six months and nobody even knew about it until the FBI had to raid Mar a Lago.  So, if Trump had done the same thing Biden did, it would not have lasted a few days in the news and on Twitter, it would never have even been on the news or Twitter. 

True...although I think there were some stories in the news before then, but nobody really cared lol...

• Like 3

No one's saying otherwise. The point I'm making is that if Trump had done the same thing Biden did, it would have lasted a few days in the news and on twitter, then faded away (outside of some discussion talking about how there needs to be more safeguards in place to keep this from continuing). But Trump's issue was not taking documents with him, it was the deliberate attempt to keep them when he was asked to give them back, and the attempt at obstructing justice to do so. Those two things are what lead to the FBI "raid"/search of Mar-A-Lago...that's what was important in all of this. White House presidents/vice-presidents taking classified documents with them when they leave office is a separate issue, and one we don't even slightly know enough about yet (in this case at least) to draw any conclusions. But we knew a LOT about Trump's attempts to not return the documents and to pretend he didn't have any to give back to begin with.

Okay, came across that way when I read it. I don't think the Trump issue that goes to resisting handing them over should impact how Bidens or anyone else's general mishandling of top secret documents should be dealt with, he is in his own category and goes beyond like you said just the document handling. As a whole if we are not enforcing consequences on politicians for this type of thing then they will not change, or even on the staff members that were responsible for those documents. I doubt that Biden personally put them in a box and forgot to return them, though he is ultimately responsible for them.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Okay, came across that way when I read it. I don't think the Trump issue that goes to resisting handing them over should impact how Bidens or anyone else's general mishandling of top secret documents should be dealt with, he is in his own category and goes beyond like you said just the document handling. As a whole if we are not enforcing consequences on politicians for this type of thing then they will not change, or even on the staff members that were responsible for those documents. I doubt that Biden personally put them in a box and forgot to return them, though he is ultimately responsible for them.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Agree...

• Like 1