Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

I have some questions, I'm kinda stuck on the minute details here:

1. Why does it have to be 218? I'm guessing a certain percentage of the house has to approve?

2. If Jefferies reaches 218, does he automatically win?

3. Is this vote just a formality like the primaries? Could they, the house in majority, just choose someone and say "you're it" or does there have to be a vote in congress?

4. Does the GOP ultimately have the final say on who the speaker is because they're a majority?

1 minute ago, Simmsy said:

1. Why does it have to be 218? I'm guessing a certain percentage of the house has to approve?

3. Is this vote just a formality like the primaries? Could they, the house in majority, just choose someone and say "you're it" or does there have to be a vote in congress?

4. Does the GOP ultimately have the final say on who the speaker is because they're a majority?

1. 50% + 1 of the countable votes

2. Yes

3. Has to be a vote

4. No.

I could be wrong, though lol...

• Like 1

The KM objectors don't have a plan. The other 200 are being pretty polite. 

I saw Boebert and the guy before her speak.  She tried to but a polite face on everything but at the end of they day they are slandering a guy who is a pretty run of the mill conservative.  Why would the other 200 allow the terrorists to hijack the caucus...

To win you have to win a majority of the votes cast.  There are 435 voting members.  435/2 = 217.5, so you need 218 votes to win a majority. 

Yep.

No, its a real thing or we wouldn't be witnessing the events of yesterday and today.  

Only if they stick together, which they don't seem capable of doing.  If the Dems could peel of 6 Republicans and that bloc all vote for someone, that person would be Speaker. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

The KM objectors don't have a plan. The other 200 are being pretty polite. 

I saw Boebert and the guy before her speak.  She tried to but a polite face on everything but at the end of they day they are slandering a guy who is a pretty run of the mill conservative.  Why would the other 200 allow the terrorists to hijack the caucus...

Dan Crenshaw is done with being polite. 

5 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

1. 50% + 1 of the countable votes

2. Yes

3. Has to be a vote

4. No.

I could be wrong, though lol...

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

To win you have to win a majority of the votes cast.  There are 435 voting members.  435/2 = 217.5, so you need 218 votes to win a majority. 

Yep.

No, its a real thing or we wouldn't be witnessing the events of yesterday and today.  

Only if they stick together, which they don't seem capable of doing.  If the Dems could peel of 6 Republicans and that bloc all vote for someone, that person would be Speaker. 

Ok, I wasn't sure if the simple majority vote was in place or if we were in some type of filibuster situation here they needed to have a percentage and then a majority if all else fails. Also, someone gave me the impression that the GOP had the final say in this and could delay it for months (by simply wanting to delay it, not by skimming votes) if they got a result they didn't like. Good to know the GOP is in real trouble here...I hope.

8 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

That would be some ballsy game theory in action.  Yet, my money would be on it working with the 20 hold outs forced to pick between McCarthy and a Dem for speaker ( with the present votes the Dems would then have a majority unless the Republicans united behind a single person).

This is quintessential GOP-ness:

Byron Daniels was convicted in Florida of a felony bribery charge as part of a scheme to defraud a bank.  He later served in the Florida State House of Representatives and was made chairman of...

The Insurance and Banking Subcommittee.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Ok, I wasn't sure if the simple majority vote was in place or if we were in some type of filibuster situation here they needed to have a percentage and then a majority if all else fails. Also, someone gave me the impression that the GOP had the final say in this and could delay it for months (by simply wanting to delay it, not by skimming votes) if they got a result they didn't like. Good to know the GOP is in real trouble here...I hope.

Simple majority vote all the time in the House. Only the Senate has a filibuster.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It seems like the Democrats should be working on this.  Any idea that they are?

Even somebody like Liz Cheney would be a plus from a Democrat perspective.  I guess all the Dems wouldn't vote for Liz Cheney so you'd need more than 6 of the GOP.

2 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Even somebody like Liz Cheney would be a plus from a Democrat perspective.  I guess all the Dems wouldn't vote for Liz Cheney so you'd need more than 6 of the GOP.

They have been courting Upton.  He impeached Trump and is no longer in Congress.  I believe there are only two remaining,

14 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

There have been some rumblings that the Dems could get behind a moderate Republican. No names have emerged as far as I know. 

For now, I think the Dems are content to sit back and let the GOP look bad and hurt each others feelings. 

image.jpeg.f4fa94672c91aa73ecb4785af554cf56.jpeg

• Thumb up 2

Allowing Jeffries to win would just anger the terrorists even more.  Do they want to go through the kabuki where Jeffries gets the Speaker and then is immediately removed as Speaker by the GOP majority.  How would that look to the nation.  

At this point these 20 terrorists are demanding process changes to the House that may even be untenable to the other 200.  Favor on setting agenda, committee chairs and using the "drain the swamp" as an excuse.