Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Allowing Jeffries to win would just anger the terrorists even more.  Do they want to go through the kabuki where Jeffries gets the Speaker and then is immediately removed as Speaker by the GOP majority. 

Electing Jeffries is not really an option. The best option for Dems is to nominate a moderate Republican, have at least 6 GOPers and the entire Dem bloc vote for that person. A GOP guy would still be speaker, but it would be a least-bad type of option for Dems. 

I am throwing in the towel on this.  Watching a child throw a public temper tantrum and repeatedly holding their breath until they pass out and getting up to do it again can only hold my entertainment for so long. 

Next time the GOP wants to talk about a do nothing party... glad I walked away from the circus a decade ago. 

Doing a little more digging, I guess one name that has popped up as a consensus pick is Fred Upton, a former Congressperson from Michigan that retired a few days ago.  He was a member of the House for 46 years.  He was one of the 10 GOPers that voted to impeach Trump the second time (he probably knew he'd be retiring at that point). He was also a member of the "Problem Solvers" caucus, which people join as a signal that they are actually pretty bipartisan. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Electing Jeffries is not really an option. The best option for Dems is to nominate a moderate Republican, have at least 6 GOPers and the entire Dem bloc vote for that person. A GOP guy would still be speaker, but it would be a least-bad type of option for Dems. 

We were just laughing at all this in the office and someone jokingly proposed it’s possible enough crazy R’s start voting present and jefferies wins, which would be so perfectly deserving and hilarious 

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Doing a little more digging, I guess one name that has popped up as a consensus pick is Fred Upton, a former Congressperson from Michigan that retired a few days ago.  He was a member of the House for 46 years.  He was one of the 10 GOPers that voted to impeach Trump the second time (he probably knew he'd be retiring at that point). He was also a member of the "Problem Solvers" caucus, which people join as a signal that they are actually pretty bipartisan. 

Was your digging my post from a half hour ago? 😎

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yeah this is also floated in my office as a possibility. 

at some point they can’t keep holding the same vote for the same people and having the same result over and over. 

32 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah this is also floated in my office as a possibility. 

at some point they can’t keep holding the same vote for the same people and having the same result over and over. 

Yea, they can just stop voting and admit that the GOP conference is gridlocked already, even without Democrat in involvement, and leave it as, effectively, there is no House for a few weeks.