Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

11 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Then I invite Rep Perry to pout and hold his breath, until he finds someone willing to:

1). Repeal the federal budget. (While unable to control even one house of Congress). 

2). And instead pass Perry's budget. (Which I'm certain Perry is willing to show us. Now.)  Also, while unable to control even one house of Congress. 

• Haha 2

I browsed Twitter for the 20 opposors yesterday and here is what I found:

The most interesting video by far was of Anna Paulina Luna walking to her car getting hounded by a "reporter" about inappropriate relationship the entire time.  But that is a bit off topic. 

This is about "standing up to the swamp" and McCarthy is the definition of the swamp.  The one item that has frosted them recently is the $1.7T government funding bill... and how it was dumped on them at the last moment. First of all, that's not on Kevin as Pelosi held the speakership.  Second, I think they are upset that the GOP did not publicize the "conservsative budget" -- were any of you aware they proposed an FY22 budget that cut spending a ton and balanced in 5 years?  This type of stuff is to the right what a far left progressive budget would be.

There is no negotiating,  no moderation with these extremists.  

Also, I read 17 of the 20 took McCarthy PAC money for their election or reelection... backstabbers!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I browsed Twitter for the 20 opposors yesterday and here is what I found:

The most interesting video by far was of Anna Paulina Luna walking to her car getting hounded by a "reporter" about inappropriate relationship the entire time.  But that is a bit off topic. 

This is about "standing up to the swamp" and McCarthy is the definition of the swamp.  The one item that has frosted them recently is the $1.7T government funding bill... and how it was dumped on them at the last moment. First of all, that's not on Kevin as Pelosi held the speakership.  Second, I think they are upset that the GOP did not publicize the "conservsative budget" -- were any of you aware they proposed an FY22 budget that cut spending a ton and balanced in 5 years?  This type of stuff is to the right what a far left progressive budget would be.

There is no negotiating,  no moderation with these extremists.  

Also, I read 17 of the 20 took McCarthy PAC money for their election or reelection... backstabbers!

My understanding of the GOP budget proposal was that it simply froze all spending at current levels until the GOP took over Congress and then they'd have the power to drive the negotiation.  Looking at the events of yesterday, passing a compromise budget in December seems like the right call given that the House GOP caucus can't even agree amongst itself on a Speaker. No chance they could agree on a budget, and then the government would shut down for who knows how long. 

Edit:  and the rational Republicans in the House and Senate knew that the new Congress was going to be a ****show, which is why they passed a budget rather than wait for the new term. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Edit:  and the rational Republicans in the House and Senate knew that the new Congress was going to be a ****show, which is why they passed a budget rather than wait for the new term. 

I assume that many of them realize that the last time the mouth foamers demanded a hostage taking, the voters correctly blamed the terrorists, and gave Congress to the Dems. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I just want to see McCarthy have to move his stuff back out of the Speaker’s office. That would bring me immense satisfaction. 

I hate that I agree with Matt Gaetz about anything, but how was that even allowed to happen? You think Pelosi purposely did it to give the humiliation of having to move out again?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I just want to see McCarthy have to move his stuff back out of the Speaker’s office. That would bring me immense satisfaction. 

And you know there are cameras poised to capture that moment....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

As much as I love watching this whole shabby spectacle, I still think it will result in Jim Jordan as speaker, which will be a very bad outcome for America. 

I doubt that.  The speaker's role used to be highly respected but it's essentially become a thankless whipping boy since John Boehner had the job. Jordan knows that, which is why he'd rather hand it to someone like McCarthy and beat up on him instead of taking any actual accountability for his party's inability to do anything.

Also, you mis-spelled Gym Jordan. 

• Thumb up 3

The only way McCarthy is not speaker is if the GOP go in with a moderate plan with Dems.  I don't see how this is possible either. 

McCarthy is trying to play nice.  I am sure he has 195 solid votes... can the other side get to 25 or 30 votes? They were happy to pick off one.  

If I was him, I would play hardball.  Put up a resolution that says, "the speaker is chosen by plurality".  This will get Dem support.  If the anti-McCarthy faction are willing to vote for someone else even if it means Jeffries becomes Speaker (which he won't because I think the vote itself gets ratified by a majority -- not sure on this) than they have embarrassed themselves. 

This also sets a tone to the arch conservatives.  "We will need bipartisanship to do anything."  Good job!!!  

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

As much as I love watching this whole shabby spectacle, I still think it will result in Jim Jordan as speaker, which will be a very bad outcome for America. 

Sorry, not to be a noodge but I disagree

Two years of Gymbo catching his dick in his zipper will be a godsend to Dems in '24

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Fergasun said:

The only way McCarthy is not speaker is if the GOP go in with a moderate plan with Dems.  I don't see how this is possible either. 

Eh, I think if McCarthy fails a bunch more, they could pivot to a Steve Scalise.... a David Duke without the baggage. 

4 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Lets say the Dems do back a republican that agrees to work with them, whats to stop he/she to go back on their word after they get the job?

I imagine a consensus pick would have negotiated the same kinds of backstops that the far right as asking for (e.g.: a snap vote to remove the speaker), although moderates would be far more likely to use it judiciously (i.e.: no moving goalposts). If the speaker strayed, they could remove him/her and throw the house back into chaos.

• Like 1

One of the things I'm reflecting on, with this show?  Is that it's intentional. 

We all know that the Rs have been negotiating behind closed doors, for months. 

That's how they do things. Negotiate, behind closed doors, nobody but us cult members allowed in the room. Then they all walk out on stage and follow the script. 

It's pro wrestling. 

Which at least implies that they thought they had agreement. Several people told McC that they were on board. And then did something different, on camera. 

This is going to have consequences. 

-----

Looking forward to some of them. 

Edited by Larry

Just now, @DCGoldPants said:

Eh, I think if McCarthy fails a bunch more, they could pivot to a Steve Scalise.... a David Duke without the baggage. 

What is going to make the 200 who support him relent?  

At some point they won't be able to pay staffers either (or themselves?).  So this isn't just going to last for a long time without them shooting their toes off.