Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Why do you keep calling votes without knowing the outcome???  Why keep punching yourself in the dick????

In all seriousness, I don't think they can stop. They literally have two options-- 1) have another vote; 2) adjourn. 

Last night, they got a small victory in their ability to adjourn, and all it meant was that they didn't embarrass themselves on primetime TV for all of america.

Edited by balki1867

4 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

In all seriousness, I don't think they can stop. They literally have two options-- 1) have another vote; 2) adjourn. 

Last night, they got a small victory in their ability to adjourn, and all it meant was that they didn't embarrass themselves on primetime TV for all of america.

I think this is it. There is only one thing Congress can do. What happens in they stop again for the way, or week? You have a handful of Erick Erickson types saying the Dems deserve their HALF of the blame for not being flexible here. But I don't think Americans see it that way, so they need to be there for every vote to be consistent and call on the GOP to fix their party to begin the work of the people. 

10 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

So adjourn.  At least then your failures to reach consensus aren't broadcast. 

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So adjourn.  At least then your failures to reach consensus aren't broadcast. 

LOL, I don't think they have the votes to do that right now either. If they could they almost certainly would. Forcing McCarthy to dickpunch himself over and over again is part of the negotiating strategy for the Treasonous 21.

Edited by balki1867
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Letters from an American - January 4, 2023

Heather Cox Richardson

The Republicans won a narrow majority in the House of Representatives in 2022—aided by gerrymandering and new laws that made it harder to vote—but they remain unable to come together to elect a speaker. In three ballots yesterday, Republican leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) could not muster a majority of the House to back him, as a group of 20 far-right Republicans are backing their own choices. The saga continued today with three more ballots; McCarthy still came up short.

In contrast, the Democrats have consistently given minority leader Hakeem Jeffries of New York 212 votes, more votes than McCarthy received but not a majority of the body. When former Speaker Nancy Pelosi nominated Jeffries yesterday, she blew him a kiss and the caucus rose up in a standing ovation.

Because it is still unorganized, the House technically has no members. No one is sworn in, and so they cannot perform their official duties or hire staff. About 70 new members brought their families to Washington, D.C., to watch their swearing in, and the extra days as the speakership contest drags on are becoming hard to manage.

The chaos suggests that Republican leadership does not have the skills it needs to govern. Leaders often have to negotiate in order to take power—Nancy Pelosi had to bring together a number of factions to win the speakership in 2019—but since 1923 those negotiations have been completed before the start of voting.

Just weeks ago, McCarthy and his supporters were furious at Senate Republicans for negotiating with their Democratic colleagues to pass the omnibus bill to fund the government, insisting they could do a better job. Now they can’t even agree on a speaker. “Thank God they weren’t in the majority on January 6,” Pelosi told reporters, “because that was the day you had to be organized to stave off what was happening, to save our democracy, to certify the election of the president.”

One story here is about competence. Josh Marshall of Talking Points Memo points out that Pelosi ran the House with virtually the same margin the Republicans have now and yet managed to hold her caucus together tightly enough to pass a slate of legislation that rivaled those of the Great Society and the New Deal. McCarthy can’t even organize the House, leaving the United States without a functioning Congress for the first time in a hundred years.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

YASSSS

Trying to collect those 500 stacks the FBI put out this week.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/fbi-offers-500000-reward-in-capitol-hill-pipe-bomb-probe/

1 minute ago, Destino said:

I have absolutely no idea who Ali Alexander is, and he sounds like a weenie, but I welcome anything that rids us of MTG.  

You really haven’t heard of him these past two years?

Edited by Ball Security

Broken system, if it was majority rules, Jefferies would be Speaker by now.

Is the process we are seeing directly from the constitution?  The law passed to keep VP from being able to stop the certification of presidential election seemed pretty painless and not a change to any amendment.

Edited by Renegade7

'Bold-faced lie': George Santos caught falsely claiming that he voted on multiple bills before being sworn in

U.S. Congressman-elect George Santos (R-NY) has a long list of lies attached to his name, and that list continues to grow by the day.

Santos, who – like every member of the House of Representatives, including incumbents – is technically not a congressman since he has not been sworn in yet, thanks to the Republicans who have now spent two days and six votes and have yet to elect a Speaker. No one can be sworn in until a Speaker has been chosen.

But according to The Daily Beast, on Santos’ official U.S. House website (paid for with your tax dollars,) the “perpetual liar” claims he “voted ‘nay’ on the House omnibus bill, which would be difficult given it was Dec. 23 and Santos had yet to take office.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Destino said:

I have absolutely no idea who Ali Alexander is, and he sounds like a weenie, but I welcome anything that rids us of MTG.  

Textbook right wing nut job, conspiracy theorist, “Stop the Steal” dickwad, and former ally of Marjorie Taylor Green.