Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Night Thread - Washington vs NY Giants: Round Two. Ding! Ding! Mothaf**kahs!!!

TK
Message added by TK,

1296459415_ScreenShot2022-12-18at11_30_14PM.thumb.png.00b7b0a9cb4052495faf305dc4c24108.png

18 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

Yeah, but besides the Browns game, this was the most winnable one. 

That doesn’t really matter. Week to week league. 

it’s not like it matters. Without a decent QB (I like Taylor a lot just being honest) we are limited. It’s been fun but this is was gonna be a short ride anyways. 

for the first time in a long time they’re playing exciting late season football. 

and the team may finally change hands. 

lots to be excited about. Making the playoffs this year isn’t one of the ones that really matters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed, but that doesn't change the fact that that long drive given up by the defense was incredibly disappointing.

Don't think Rivera was blaming the defense for the loss, just saying how disappointed he was in them for that drive.

I mean, I get it, it's jus why I wasnt ready to say Giants suck.  People keep saying that and they keep winning, they making most of what they have, playoff teams can get drives like tha , they're a playoff team.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But the WR was in the same location the TE would have been. Even with the OT. Which by rule is ON the line. Not off. 

But because the refs are used to receivers being even with the ball versus even with the OT they have always called that as a penalty. 

But it shouldn’t be. It’s consistent with the way it’s always been called but not consistent with the way they call it for the OL/TEs. Which is strange.

And it’s like that at all levels of football.

Again, that's fine if you want to argue about how the cal lis enforced, I won't disagree with you.

But in the context of this game, assuming you're correct, the refs calling a play they always call a play isn't a cause for whining, so it doesn't really register for me as worth discussing much. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, but 13 total points? 

They had one bad drive in the first half and then it looked like just gave up for about 5 plays after the TH fumble. I agree that can’t happen.  But there is a psychological element and when they’ve played pretty well all game and then the offense gives the ball back in scoring position?  I’m sure it took the wind out of their sails there for a moment.

I get that they could have done more.  

But when your defense holds the opponent to 13 points, and your offense gives up the other 7, it’s hard to really that critical of them.  

In a vacuum the defense played well enough to win. But when you get down to the nitty gritty of this specific football game, they were disappointing. Were they downright terrible? No. But they got beat in every big play/big scenario. 4th and 9. Barkley on the last drive. Giving up that Jones run on a 3rd and long to allow for a 50 yard FG. Plays like that. 

Basically they didn't make one single big play. 

• Like 1

Every time we have the audacity to get our hopes up and care a little bit again, something like this happens. This sort of performance that wasn’t worthy of a W or a playoff spot. The rock solid truth remains that until there is something structurally different about this organization from the top down, there is no point in getting your hopes up because winning and excellence are not the standards being set for anyone. 

Hopefully this offseason Snyder sells and that’s the first step on our road to relevance. But there’s no point getting hopes up or feeling angry about this team until those changes happen. The organization is broken from the top down no matter what the good guys on the roster try to do to overcome it. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, abdcskins said:

That illegal formation call was iffy. Don't understand that rule, seems dumb. Ultimately the turnovers are what lost us the game. We also couldn't force any on defense. Thought our pass protection was mediocre all night.

I don’t know why it’s the rule

but if I’m remembering correctly didnt someone line up in the slot? Then go into motion? If so then that was the problem. He can check presnal and be fine but once the slot wr goes in motion he has to step up to the line. We see those little adjustments all the time.

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL. Nothing against McLaurin, who's a great player and all, but I'm not taking his word for an in depth conversation taking place in the moments before a snap. And just LOL on the idea that the ref has to spend all his time coaching him on where the F to stand. 

You are on an island with this one.  Even if Terry hadn’t checked with him, there is zero gained by Terry being off the line and that call never gets made particularly in that spot.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Nobody hates Heinicke. Stop with that strawman argument.

Two people have used the expression "hate" as to the strength of their feelings about him at qb

Two

Meanwhile, we have a ton of posts calling out haters

Which makes sense....if you're someone who is stupidly overpraising heinie on the regular you're likely to stupidly exaggerate and mis characterize those much more critical of him

btw, even the smartest humans are stupid at times

It's not rocket surgery, but this simple obvious truth seems to elude many 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

Because he was standing right next to Terry and saw that he hadn’t shuffled up enough to be on the line. He knew that was a flag before the ball was snapped, obviously. It’s annoying it was called but is technically correct—McLaurin could have inched up further and didn’t 

Terry said the ref said he was ok.  So, it should not have been flagged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You are on an island with this one.  Even if Terry hadn’t checked with him, there is zero gained by Terry being off the line and that call never gets made particularly in that spot.

I saw Terry look over at the ref and move up before the snap.  I questioned why he didn’t move up farther.  But it’s impossible to see where the ball is and if you go too far you’re off sides.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Again, that's fine if you want to argue about how the cal lis enforced, I won't disagree with you.

But in the context of this game, assuming you're correct, the refs calling a play they always call a play isn't a cause for whining, so it doesn't really register for me as worth discussing much. 

I think it’s worth discussing. That rule isn’t an actual rule. The split end/tight end/OL all have the same line of scrimmage requirement and rules. I agree it has always been called that way. But it shouldn’t be.

Having said that, the more egregious call against the norm of the way games are generally officiated is the DPI. I have concerns with the McLaurin call but they are more procedural with the way refs enforce that violation (or don’t) in general vs. a stance against it in this game. 

But that DPI was brutal.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL. Nothing against McLaurin, who's a great player and all, but I'm not taking his word for an in depth conversation taking place in the moments before a snap. And just LOL on the idea that the ref has to spend all his time coaching him on where the F to stand. 

Jahan just said we talk to the refs all of the times and not sure how he wasn't on the line, saying this while shaking his head. Now are you going to say Jahan is lying too? lol

• Like 3

Just now, Jumbo said:

Two people have used the expression "hate" as to the strength of their feelings about him at qb

Two

Meanwhile, we have a ton of posts calling out haters

Which makes sense....if you're someone who is stupidly overpraising heinie on the regular you're likely to stupidly exaggerate and mis characterize those much more critical of him

It's like that with everything in our overdramatic, hypersensitive society we're living in. If you say anything even remotely critical about anyone or anything, you get called a hater by those who support the thing you're critical of. I like Heinie as a guy, but he isn't a starting caliber NFL QB. 

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

that call never gets made particularly in that spot.

Wait how often are they missing these calls?

I was under the impression doesn’t get called much because you are literally allowed to clear yourself with the ref pre snap, every snap. So it only gets called when someone really screws up. 

in fact I specifically recall listening to Cooley on a film breakdown years ago about this penalty when it cost us, and he said there’s zero excuse ever for getting called for it. 

Edited by tshile

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

In a vacuum the defense played well enough to win. But when you get down to the nitty gritty of this specific football game, they were disappointing. Were they downright terrible? No. But they got beat in every big play/big scenario. 4th and 9. Barkley on the last drive. Giving up that Jones run on a 3rd and long to allow for a 50 yard FG. Plays like that. 

Basically they didn't make one single big play. 

But this is one of the big issues with playing a "pound the rock, control the clock" offense that's generally low scoring. Basically in order for it to work, your defense has to be great consistently and can't really afford to have any bad drives.

But even elite defensive units will often have one or two lackluster drives per game for various reasons. For a team that can put up points on offense, that's fine and an understandable reality. But for a team with an anemic offense like ours, that's close to a death sentence.

Just now, PolarExpress said:

Terry said the ref said he was ok.  So, it should not have been flagged.

Yeah, saw that afterwards. I’ll call that the universe breaking even after the DB dropped a gimme game-ending INT. The egregious PI in the endzone is the one that I see as being particularly bad. 

But if we could play offense at an NFL level none of that would matter. I find that way more frustrating than the stuff with the refs. Needing miracle drives just to sneak into OT is why we’re so easily screwed by bad calls. If we took care of our business in a competent manner it wouldn’t matter. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So an official ref saying it shouldn’t have been called still doesn’t sway you?  Come on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I agree with this but the Giants D also got to play Taylor Heinicke.  That same Giants D got 50 hung on them last week.  That Giants D left our guys wide open on every drive in the first half only for our QB to hold on to the ball.  Taylor also opted to hand off instead of keep 3 times that killed drives.

Agree but the Giants defense is one of the bottom ranked units in the NFL. 

Our defense is one of the tops so I was hoping for better. Yes the defense played good. But it wasn’t one of their better performances as to making game changing plays and with everything on the line I expected more 

• Thanks 1