Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Falcons Fall Flat

KDawg

Like everyone, I'm enjoying the winning and this is a pleasant surprise heading into December at 7-5. That said, I just don't know if the winning is sustainable with Heinicke. I know he is our best option right now, but the recklessness and missed throws are going to bite us at some point.

The INT before the half was horrific. With 24 seconds and 3 TO's at midfield, our chances of getting 3 pts. were very high. You just can't throw that ball! A horrible decision that luckily didn't lead to points for them, but did cost us a golden chance at 3 pts.- which very well could've ended up costing us the game. 

Also, he was a second late getting the ball to Bates on the incompletion in the back of the end zone. He throws that a second sooner and it's a TD- Bates was open. Being a second late allowed the Atlanta DB to get there and push Bates out of bounds before he could get his feet down. A play later, McLaurin was open coming across to the back corner of the end zone and he threw it over his head. And that crazy no look sideways flick he threw was potential disaster. I know he saved a sack by doing that and fortunately for us, it barely made it as a forward pass by a half a yard. But your QB can't be that reckless with the ball and even though it was early in the game, that could've been a game changer for Atlanta.

I don't want to rip on Heinicke too much because he does some good things, we're winning and I like him. However, our offense has got to put up more points in these next five games. Our defense is good and will keep us in games. But they're not the '86 Bears and asking them to hold the opponent under 20 points every week is a tall order.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Assuming Young can return to form I think the only thing this D needs to become truly elite, like best in the league potentially, is a real lockdown #1 CB. I like St. Juste and think he is a #1 but he's not a real lockdown type. To be fair there are very few. But historically the top Ds have had those. 2000 Ravens had Chris McAllister. 02 Bucs had Ronde Barber. 13 Seahawks had Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner. 15 Broncos had Aqib Talib. Last year's Rams(though not on the same level but you get it)had Jalen Ramsey. We're missing that guy. But this is a really strong CB draft so maybe we can snag one if we don't go QB.

I disagree. I would bet on BSJ becoming a true top 15 corner in the league if he can stay healthy. He has all the traits- remember that he didn’t play a lot in college so he is far from his ceiling for a player of his age

12 minutes ago, method man said:

I disagree. I would bet on BSJ becoming a true top 15 corner in the league if he can stay healthy. He has all the traits- remember that he didn’t play a lot in college so he is far from his ceiling for a player of his age

I like St. Juste but I think he lacks the ball skills and lateral fluidity to be a true lockdown type CB. I do think he's a solid #1 starting outside CB though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Brian Robinson is an absolute mauler. His legs don't stop, he can catch, he is finding the holes and he is back to Alabama form after being shot. Again. He was shot. For the Gibson fans out there that were appalled that we drafted Robinson because they thought Gibson was a lead back... I was among Gibson's biggest fans (along with @Skinsinparadise) when we drafted him. But there was too much being put on his plate and we weren't able to use him dynamically and he got dinged up and ball security issues popped up due to those things. The addition of Robinson has made Gibson much more dangerous. Oh, and Jonathan Williams. Guy runs similarly to BRob. That is a nightmare backfield for teams to defend.

We both liked Brian Robinson before the draft too, both pushed him before our pick in the third, only difference is I liked Dameon Pierce slightly more than Robinson and you liked Robinson slightly more.

they have to let us make the call in the future on all RBs in the third round.  :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

Like everyone, I'm enjoying the winning and this is a pleasant surprise heading into December at 7-5. That said, I just don't know if the winning is sustainable with Heinicke. I know he is our best option right now, but the recklessness and missed throws are going to bite us at some point.

The INT before the half was horrific. 

I don't want to rip on Heinicke too much because he does some good things, we're winning and I like him. However, our offense has got to put up more points in these next five games. Our defense is good and will keep us in games. But they're not the '86 Bears and asking them to hold the opponent under 20 points every week is a tall order.

It's not sustainable.  They've given themselves no margin for error, by the hole they dug losing games early in the season and by how they're winning games by thin margins.  A game like yesterday where we get bailed out will turn into more games like Minn where we dont. 

And he literally gives you (at least) one of those throws a game.  And I think overcoming that isn't sustainable either.  It's asking a lot of the defense to keep every game close and bail out the QB for a late game bonehead throw in a regular basis.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I'm enjoying the wins. I am not going to put starting level expectations on a guy that is clearly a backup. Hell, QB play across the league has dropped off considerably. And I'm not going to raise my blood sugar by scrutinizing every throw. Just going enjoy it while it lasts and hope the team will put together a plan to find a quality starter for next season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Why did Atlanta succeed in gashing the D running the ball...was it;

3) Their backs were better than our previous opponents in the winning streak

How would we stop a repeat of this with Barkley and Elliot...

ATL has been a crazy competitive team this year playing way above expectations, and their running game has been an unsung hero. My brother is a huge Falcons fans and apparently we caught a break in the fact they didn't give the ball to Caleb Huntley at all who he says is their most exciting runner avg. 5 yards a pop. He only got the ball once against us for 12 yards...

In terms of Barkley and Elliot, I'm more worried about Pollard than Zeke. In terms of Barkley Giants fans are saying their run game is hurting with Evan Neal being out at RT, and there is a chance he could return against us..

That Falcon team ran better than us than anyone has this season. But if we can shut down Philly, and we all saw what they did to GB, we can shut down anyone on Sunday. Now are we? I think we got a better chance vs NY than Dallas..

Honestly, I don't think the Falcons game is a harbinger of things to come. I believe their OL is VERY good and they are a dynamic rushing offense. I don't think any team that Washington faces moving forward will run the ball that well against them. They will face a couple BETTER OVERALL teams, but not any team that is a better rushing team than Atlanta (OL, running backs, running scheme, running QB, etc.), in my opinion. 

I cant remember the last time watching this team actually having a shot at the playoffs, its great.  If we win one more game its the most wins in the past 6 years. 7 straight games with either a win(or should have) and seeing them fight it out each play is just fun to watch right now.

• Like 2