Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Bengals CB William Jackson demands trade off Commanders

gooseneck

"That might inspire a bit of deja vu for Bengals fans. Jackson, the team’s 24th overall pick in 2016, remained in town through the 2020 season before leaving the team and taking shots at fans on his way out the door. 

Washington removed Jackson from a game early last week, though he had been dealing with a back injury leading up to the game. His reps later issued a statement that he’d like to find a better team fit.

Last year over 12 games, Jackson allowed 31 catches on 53 targets with two interceptions for a 59.3 PFF grade. He’s allowed 16 on 19 at a 49.6 grade this year.

The trade deadline is November 1, so it’s safe to presume he’ll find a new team by then — but we can safely rule out Cincinnati."Former Bengals CB William Jackson demands trade off Commanders (yahoo.com)-

It will not let me copy and print the cite.  What will our pass defense do without him?  But this begs the question.  Why did we go for a man to man coverage person, spending much money, when we were not going to use him that way.  Do I feel a trend through out history here?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

If I'm looking at those contract details right, he's due $15 mil. next year. For his level of play, I can't see any team wanting to take that on. 

A team acquiring Jackson would be on the hook for $3.8MM in 2022 base salary. Jackson’s contract calls for a $9.25MM base in 2023; that figure is nonguaranteed.

• Thanks 1

They've made some good FA signings, no one hits them all, just like the draft.  McKissic, Leno, Lucas, Schweitzer, Logan Thomas.  Darby not bad but they let him go.  Samuel looking good this season.   Obada signing looking good, with 3 sacks alreay in a part time time role.

But corner not looking hot, Jackson, and even Fuller.  When was the last good corner signing -- Shawn Springs?  Culliver, Norman, etc.

I think the man corner stuff is overplayed.  He sucked playing man, too.  I think he was just a bad signing period.   I'll put money they have to release him or get peanuts but I'd love to be wrong.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They've made some good FA signings, no one hits them all, just like the draft.  McKissic, Leno, Lucas, Schweitzer, Logan Thomas.  Darby not bad but they let him go.  Samuel looking good this season.   Obada signing looking good, with 3 sacks alreay in a part time time role.

But corner not looking hot, Jackson, and even Fuller.  When was the last good corner signing -- Shawn Springs?  Culliver, Norman, etc.

I think the man corner stuff is overplayed.  He sucked playing man, too.  I think he was just a bad signing period.   I'll put money they have to release him or get peanuts but I'd love to be wrong.

I think you're right.  I think Fuller has been fine, but not a star.  

They should try and trade Jackson for any interior OL that can remotely play.  Even if it's just to be a backup.  Preferably a center.  Because if Larsen gets hurt, they can't turn back to Martin, he's overmatched.  Ideally they could get somebody who could at least be in the rotation at interior OL, even if it's not a starter.  

Trai Turner can't play either.  

As bad as Nowell, Larsen and Charles have been, the prospect of losing one of them and having to turn to Turner or Martin is ghastly.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Doubt that they trade him during the season.  Another awful signing.  Walking penalty.  Don't what they FO was thinking when they brought him in to be CB 1

They were thinking he was that on his previous team

14 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Actually the Davis pick was even worse.  WJ3 only cost the team money.  The Davis reach cost us a premium draft pick.

Davis has been playing well lately. Once they stopped playing him out of position his film has looked pretty good. Its like us blaming Antonio Gibson for not being used correctly 

As far as WILLIAM

Trade for peanuts if possible, play the young guys and see what we have. Zero reason not too. **** W Jack Sparrow or whatever fruitcake **** you wanted to be called. Laugh all the way to the bank i get it... 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

if you google William Jackson trade you will see plenty of fans think their teams should go for Jackson

edit: oh is this funny?  We seem to think we're a good judge of talent and what teams should do?  I assume WE'RE the only fanbase in the country that knows that

Edited by MrJL
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Even desperate teams will pass on Jackson. He can't play n he's ridiculously overpaid. Just an awful signing. 

Maybe but, it's usually when you're desperate that you make stupid decisions (didn't we multiple times ?). Desperation usually goes with short term results, in this process, rational, well-thought decisions are deeply buried. It takes only one team to make this kind of move and to give us something better than a ham sandwich. ;)

Edited by FrFan
  • Haha 1

All that matters right now is what other GM's think of Jackson's talent & ability currently. Honestly, his salary isn't ridiculous for a good quality CB, but is he still a good quality CB?

Do they see the tape of him in Cincy vs WSH and think it is just a bad system match, or do they watch the film and see a player that simply isn't playing well period right now.   I am sort of in the middle on this.  Yes, I think bringing him here to play in a different system was a fool's errand and does explain some of his struggles, but I have also seen instances where he is covering a WR man-to-man and he just straight up gets beat badly from the snap of the ball.  I am too amateurish an onlooker to really make the determination myself. 

Edited by NoCalMike

The thing about William Jackson and corners in general is that there is a high variance.  So I listen to a couple of the PFF podcasts and corner play is the position that players have the greatest year to year variance.   Jackson had that amazin 2017 season where had a 90+ grade making him one of the top 2 or 3 corners.  He then had a solid 73.4 year in 2018 where he came back to earth, then had a bad 2019 year where he was only 53.6 (831 snaps so not a small sample size), before rebounding with another solid year in the low to mid 70's in 2020.  Last year he had a 59.3 grade significantly below his 2020 and 2018 grades in the 70's and way way below his career year in 2017 where he was at 90, but actually higher than 2019 disappointing season.  This year he is at 49.6 which would be a career low.  Hard to say if he has lost or whether this is just part of his variance.   But again, the PFF guys always say game to game and even season to season, corner going to have the largest variances of any position.

52 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The thing about William Jackson and corners in general is that there is a high variance.  So I listen to a couple of the PFF podcasts and corner play is the position that players have the greatest year to year variance.   Jackson had that amazin 2017 season where had a 90+ grade making him one of the top 2 or 3 corners.  He then had a solid 73.4 year in 2018 where he came back to earth, then had a bad 2019 year where he was only 53.6 (831 snaps so not a small sample size), before rebounding with another solid year in the low to mid 70's in 2020.  Last year he had a 59.3 grade significantly below his 2020 and 2018 grades in the 70's and way way below his career year in 2017 where he was at 90, but actually higher than 2019 disappointing season.  This year he is at 49.6 which would be a career low.  Hard to say if he has lost or whether this is just part of his variance.   But again, the PFF guys always say game to game and even season to season, corner going to have the largest variances of any position.

Yep. I posted this in the FA thread recently:

Yeah we bought low on Ronald Darby too if you remember. Eagle fans were trashing him and saying how bad he was but he played really well for us and then got a nice long term deal with the Broncos....where he ended up being demoted to like 3rd string before getting put on IR.

Josh Norman wasn't terrible his first two years but another case of buying high and not getting your moneys worth.  We paid top dollar for a guy who was a solid starter for two years and then a weaker starter his last year (I would call William Jackson a weaker starter for us this year for example).

• Like 1