Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Broken #1QB. Now who should start?

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And who is rooting to lose?

Me lol. Im going to root for what ever gives us the best chance to win SBs. Currently step one is finding the QB. The best way to get that top QB is at the top of the draft. So going to be doing that until we get that top prospect in. 

3 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

Again - 4 picks in top 5 (Top 5 is high right?) over last 12 years.

Most in NFC east and I would guess on the top side of ALL NFL teams.

Try not to skim my posts. Read em :D

You’re aware this thread is about QBs, right?

7 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

Again - 4 picks in top 5 (Top 5 is high right?) over last 12 years.

Most in NFC east and I would guess on the top side of ALL NFL teams.

Surprisingly, there actually is a team that’s picked in the top 5 more than us in the last 12 years. Jaguars, with 8. Browns are tied with us with 4.

well…..ok, maybe not so surprising….the jaguars have been awful a long time

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I think theres 2 right now worth getting. I dont think any are worth trading for. Im tired of getting the 2nd or 3rd tier QB prospects. I also dont think we can afford to be giving up top draft picks with the roster severely lacking high end talent across the board. 

I’d agree. I’m not necessarily advocating that kind of move, chances are we ramp up the level of desperation another notch in 2023 for a QB though, IMO.

I’m still hopeful we see 8 or so games of Howell starting this season to be honest.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

well…..ok, maybe not so surprising….the jaguars have been awful a long time

The Jags have been to multiple championship games and went 14-2 at least once, 12-4 a couple times I think as well.

Dan's team hasn't won more than 10 since 1991 and hasn't been to a championship game or a SB since as well.

"The Jags have been awful a long time" sounds kind of funny now, doesn't it? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Really tho.

our high draft picks only seem to blossom for their rookie year.

looking at you Bob Griffen the third!

Because Snyder doesn’t run an organization that can develop most players to their full potential, no matter how talented they are. It’s not a coincidence that it keeps happening over and over again. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

You’re aware this thread is about QBs, right?

Yes. Keep reading my posts. In the last 10 years only 1 NFC east team has picked a QB in the top 5.  

That pick was Carson Wentz

My point - This team *Prob needs a long term QB (* Im not sure Sam Howell can't be that guy.).  But the conversation basically went to "does winning hurt our chances to find a long term QB"

Throw in that having a one of the most top 5 picks over the last 12 years has not landed us a long term QB, that none of the current NFC east teams have a top 5 drafted QB starting (Can anyone tell me out of the top 32 NFL qb's today, how many were drafted in the top 5?  I don't know but someone prob does), and that the last 2 times we have picked a QB in the top 5 it has hurt us,

my argument stands that based on history, with 10 games left, the only thing we should be trying to do is WIN.  

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

The Jags have been to multiple championship games and went 14-2 at least once, 12-4 a couple times I think as well.

Dan's team hasn't won more than 10 since 1991 and hasn't been to a championship game or a SB since as well.

"The Jags have been awful a long time" sounds kind of funny now, doesn't it? 

By a long time, I meant, since I’ve been an NFL fan in general. I didn’t start REALLY watching the entire NFL until 2010.  So no, in that context, it doesn’t sound funny. 

they were under .500 in those 12 years either 9 or 10 times. In that context, yes, they have been awful a long time (both things can be true, we’ve been awful longer than them, AND they’ve been awful a long time, even if it is less longer than our team). 

Why is everyone so sure that tanking will work?  For every Joe Burrow there is a Baker Mayfield or Jared Goff.  Having a rookie QB next year will be a long long season.  Possibly the next two years.  Look at Kenny Pickett or Trevor Lawrence.  I'd rather field the best team we can and play to win.  QBs drafted in the late first round have just as good of a success rate as QBs drafted in the top 5. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Me lol. Im going to root for what ever gives us the best chance to win SBs. Currently step one is finding the QB. The best way to get that top QB is at the top of the draft. So going to be doing that until we get that top prospect in. 

Getting a top college QB is one thing.

Having a coaching staff who has the ability and experience to properly groom said QB is a horse of a different color. I don't see that here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Why is everyone so sure that tanking will work?

There is always a 50-50 chance. So you take it. But a lot of people don't think about the other rounds. You are also picking higher in other rounds as well. You might not hit in the 1st round but you have a better opportunity to hit in other rounds for better quality players if you are picking higher than lower. 

• Thumb up 2

5 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Why is everyone so sure that tanking will work?  For every Joe Burrow there is a Baker Mayfield or Jared Goff.  Having a rookie QB next year will be a long long season.  Possibly the next two years.  Look at Kenny Pickett or Trevor Lawrence.  I'd rather field the best team we can and play to win.  QBs drafted in the late first round have just as good of a success rate as QBs drafted in the top 5. 

For everyone who says this, or things along these lines, here's a very simple question: Do you think it's generally better to have a higher draft pick or a lower one?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Clearly, nothing is guaranteed to work here.  

But going 7-10, missing the playoffs, and picking at 14 is much less appealing than 4-13 potentially picking in the top 5.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

I'm with @TMK9973.

At THIS point in the season, I'm rooting for wins. If we're out of it by week 15, then get back to me.

As for finding a franchise QB, you don't have to tank for a top 5 pick. You can pick someone in teens, see if you strike gold in later rounds like with Howell, try to find a Tannehill type, see if you get lucky when a Brady/Manning-type finish their career somewhere else, or do a big trade-up into the top 5. Almost all of those possibilities are easier if you are a team on the cusp rather than a cellar dweller.  

Case in point: in 2016, the Chiefs went 12-4 and won the division under Alex Smith. A few months later, they drafted Patrick Mahomes with the 10th pick. 

Mahomes sits a year while Alex Smith takes them to 10-6, then Mahomes takes over after Smith gets traded to [REDACTED] and takes the Chiefs back to 12-4 and to the AFC Championship game.

They not only drafted a franchise guy immediately after going 12-4, but they let him sit a year and then take over a GOOD team. 

That's why it's better to root for incremental progress in building up the program rather than automatically after 7 weeks jumping to the nuclear option.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, zCommander said:

There is always a 50-50 chance. So you take it. But a lot of people don't think about the other rounds. You are also picking higher in other rounds as well. You might not hit in the 1st round but you have a better opportunity to hit in other rounds for better quality players if you are picking higher than lower. 

We haven’t drafted a quality first round qb since Sammy Baugh. All others were acquired via trade or later rounds. It’s far less than 50/50. We drafted Sammy in 1937. If odds are we hit once a century, we should tank in 15 years for the 2037 draft. 

If your first round pick is a bust and you are picking high it’s like you won the Super Bowl and are picking at the end of the round/beginning of next round. So might as well try to win. Tanking only works when the people making the pick aren’t morons and even then it’s still not anywhere close to a sure thing. You play as hard as you can to win until you are mathematically eliminated then you tank. If you want to tank before then it’s a loser mentality that will permeate the culture of the team worse than what we have now.

11 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Thinking out loud here, and I'll caveat this by I think we're already gonna be well out of range to get one of the stud QB's coming out, the clamour for a high end QB draft pick stems from the fact we don't have a chance of attracting an elite QB in the trade or Free Agency markets. Rodgers and Russ had no interest in the off season just gone and Lamar wouldn't have any interest in the one upcoming, we don't really have a roster loaded with high level NFL talent, we don't really have a coaching staff that's particularly creative or enticing and so I understand that.

For that reason there becomes this sense that the only way we get out of this state of QB flux that we've been in for so long is by hitting the jackpot on a stud in the draft.

Whilst I know your point isn't necessarily not to draft a QB its that we shouldn't necessarily pine for one so high up as its not a guarantee, others make a point that it could be worse than Heinicke or Wentz etc etc, or Dan Snyder owns the team so we will never have a top tier QB or coaching staff and I really detest those viewpoints just because everything is a burning mess in the organisation it doesn't mean we still shouldn't be taking shots, hell offer Lamar all the money in the world, draft a QB in the first round regardless, fire Ron Rivera after another season of 0.450, I'd rather take those gambles than sit at NFL Mediocrity forever more just accepting it

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A generational talent selected by a hall of fame, offensive wizard.

Sure, let’s just be like them.  🤣

Nevermind the fact the team in Washington hasn't gone anywhere close to 12-4 in over 30 years. The Chiefs did it BEFORE they got their franchise QB, lol.

Edited by SkinsFTW

6 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

This team is so stupid that I wouldn't be surprised if they made a move to pick up Matt Ryan's contract.

I could see Ron at the introductory press conference...

image.thumb.png.d7e485701e0ac99d477a513eb92c8081.png

"Guys, guys, guys, guys guys! Calm down now. One question at a time please. This isn't a damn free for all.

Lookit, like I've been trying to tell you guys we decided to make the trade for Matt Ryan because we believe in him.

He's an experienced Super Bowl caliber quarterback with experience, size, instincts and great leadership ability. As far as the injuries go our medical staff feels he will  make a full recovery.

We plan to go into camp with Matt as our full time starter, Carson as his primary backup and Taylor bringing up the rear. 

Unfortunately Sam Howell has been given his unconditional release and we wish him well. I like the young man but with our current depth at quarterback there was just no room for him

That's it for now no more questions."

8 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

For everyone who says this, or things along these lines, here's a very simple question: Do you think it's generally better to have a higher draft pick or a lower one?

I would submit that earning the 32nd draft pick ain’t too shabby