Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can You See Your Fandom Ending at Some Point???

Renegade7

Do you see yourself at some point ending being a Commanders fan???  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you see yourself at some pointing ending being a Commanders fan???

• Yes, and I'll pick another team to be fan of (and never come back, not even for replacement DC franchise)
    • Yes, and I'll pick another team to be fan of (Open to coming back)
    • Yes, but won't pick another team to be fan of (Open to Coming Back)
    • Yes, but won't pick another team to be fan of (Never Coming Back)
    • No, fan for life, even if they move to another TV market, like London or St. Louis
    • No, but if they leave DC market I'll be fan of another team (and become fan of new DC football team if DC gets one)
    • No, but if they leave DC market I won't pick a new team (will be fan of new DC football team if DC get's one)
    • No, but if they leave DC market I'll pick new team and not be fan of a replacement DC franchise
    • No, if they leave I'm not picking new team nor being fan of new DC team if DC gets one
    • I don't know
    • It's too late, I'm already gone...
    • Yes, and let's be clear, if I'm only coming back for a new DC franchise, that means I'll NEVER be Commanders fan again once I'm gone (I'm never coming back)

Thinking of a poll I hope the highest in this organization will see...it was either that or "Would You Want your Kids to be Commanders fans?"

I've transitioned into a fan of local teams that want best for them with boundaries considering they don't love me as much as I love them.

Going to games this year, reserve the right to pay to boo this team in person.  But if they leave my home, yo, you dead to me, I'll wait for the next DC team (expansion or someone move here).  I don't believe the Ravens count as a DC team, but they are trying and will try harder if Commies move (fans hoping for a Commanders move be warned).

Read the Poll questions closely...I imagine many are either already gone or open to it, question is how much of what would be a decent sample of remaining die hards of the fan base feel about this now.

I won't judge you, this is as abusive a relationship between an organization and its fan base as I can think of.  I'd let my kids choose and encourage support local, otherwise they might be Dallas fans out of spite.

Open to recording some questions if yall feel they too confusing or don't read right...believe yall get where I'm coming from here...if yall want to say your final straw or what's needed to come back, that's fine, but not required in this conversation or poll...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

I am not a fan of this team anymore. If you knew what my identity basically was for most of my life, you’d find that astonishing. But I can’t root for success for the garbage human who owns the team. I just can’t.

I follow the team and check this board. But I want them to do poorly. I’ll root for them to beat Chicago this week because I don’t want them to luck into a top 3 pick or anything.

I don’t have a favorite team anymore. And I’d come back if he sold. Until then, to hell with them.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

When Daniel " Spineless " Snyder vowed to never change the team's name, I was in the minority of those who actually backed him, if anything on general principle.

Then the spineless money-hungry weasel caved to 5% of the native american populous and Nike { the business who pays child labor overseas 2 dollars/week to make NFL-related merchandise } and my feelings changed, harshly. Still I hoped at least he'd find a team name thats close to the former, but then he went full retard on the most ignorant name than could have been thought of, and that itself cemented my fate.  Now, supposedly, his wife is in charge, and she is as clueless as he is! Talk about going from the frying pan to the fire!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I'm a fan of the Virginia I-don't-have-subscriptions-so-it's-whatever-team-gets-shown-on-broadcast-tv-every-week. Right now, it's the Redcommies. If they left, it would probably be the Ravens or the Panthers. I wish it were the Ravens. 😔

No, but if they left the area I’m out.  I root for the team in my geographical area.  I would never be a fan of a team from a place I have never been to and can’t even pinpoint on a map.  Like a lot of NFL fans.  

The NFL is full of fans who jumped on bandwagons when things were looking good.  My fandom means a hell of a lot more to me than that.  My team reps my home.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I said last week that I was done watching this team. I didn’t watch today and it was great. First game I have missed in I don’t know how long. I read peoples opinions throughout the game and i don’t feel I missed anything. I am going to keep track of this team but I refuse to watch them.

i will be rooting for the Ravens in the meantime. I never thought it would come to this, but I can’t support Snyder any longer. There is a distinct difference watching a Washington game versus the rest of the nfl. It’s like watching a little league team versus an actual mlb team.

if the Snyders leave, and I don’t care how, I’ll be open to coming back. It really depends on how much I get into another team. If someone buys this team, rebrands it to actually acknowledge and give a nod to our past, then I’ll more than likely be back.

but, as I’ve said prior, it’s not just the losing, it’s the losers that run this ship. There is no hope. I don’t see anyone ever being successful here. Why devote my time to a douche who doesn’t care enough to run a team properly and is also a little ****head? 

The things Snyder has done off the field are appalling. He ripped off enough people with his communication  business to buy this franchise. He hasn’t learned to be a good human since.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Thinking of a poll I hope the highest in this organization will see...it was either that or "Would You Want your Kids to be Commanders fans?"

I've transitioned into a fan of local teams that want best for them with boundaries considering they don't love me as much as I love them.

Going to games this year, reserve the right to pay to boo this team in person.  But if they leave my home, yo, you dead to me, I'll wait for the next DC team (expansion or someone move here).  I don't believe the Ravens count as a DC team, but they are trying and will try harder if Commies move (fans hoping for a Commanders move be warned).

Read the Poll questions closely...I imagine many are either already gone or open to it, question is how much of what would be a decent sample of remaining die hards of the fan base feel about this now.

I won't judge you, this is as abusive a relationship between an organization and its fan base as I can think of.  I'd let my kids choose and encourage support local, otherwise they might be Dallas fans out of spite.

Open to recording some questions if yall feel they too confusing or don't read right...believe yall get where I'm coming from here...if yall want to say your final straw or what's needed to come back, that's fine, but not required in this conversation or poll...

I always find this kind of topic interesting because of where my fandom comes from, and how poisonous it became over time. 

I'm an inauthentic fan in a way, and it annoys the ---- out of my wife, but was an enjoyable part of my identity as a kid. My family moved to Northern Virginia in 1968, my brother was born while they were there, and then they moved back to the SF Bay Area right before I was born in '74. My brother made me a Redskins fan as a kid. The memory is still quite vivid (got a Cowboy plastic helmet out of a grocery store quarter machine near the door), he crushed it, threw it in the garbage and pointed to the team I should be a fan of. I was around 4 years old, maybe 3, I forget which. It was actually fun and glorious to be a fan as a child, other than when they played the local niners (the first game I saw was the 1981 loss, I think 31-16 or something like that, the redskins lost to the niners every single time they played them during my teens and early twenties other then in 1983 in the NFC title game and in 1986 when I was in 6th grade on MNF). I enjoyed being one of the handful of kids in school that wasn't a Niner or Raider fan, and we built a little club of Redskins fans from scratch, and fans of other teams too (Steelers, Eagles, Jets, Dolphins etc) and it was fun to stand outside of the group think. Then it ended, just in time for my high school diploma (June 1993). 

It's been different versions of utter ---- ever since. I can't pin down exactly when it was I gave up. I'm not entirely sure. I used to spend sunday's at the local sports bars in the East bay circa 1996-2003, I still watched most games in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007, but around 2007 is when I stopped seeking out the games. Didnt have as easy access to tv, and later met my future wife, in '08, and she found the fandom utterly stupid (why not a local team, why stay loyal to a team just because of some choice your brother made for you when you were 4, why be a fan when being a fan sucks ALWAYS etc). I once explained how much torture it was to be a caps fan, and she asked what could justify being a San Jose or Las Vegas fan, or something else, and I said, well, if they moved, and changed their name, I technically wouldn't be a band wagoner if I changed, and she joked about encouraging that to happen. They ended up winning the Stanley Cup a few years after that joke (after numerous more epic chokes). Anyway, I think about a decade ago, it started fraying badly, not watching every game I could, circa 2007 or 2008. When the RGIII thing failed, and how horrendously his knee injury was handled, that killed about 1/2 of it, and then McCloughan being ran out of town, and his reputation being driven over w/a bus did another 25-30% of it, and then I think when they didnt address the QB issue intelligently after the Cousins debacle? That was a wrap for me.

I'm still a fan, but I pay no attention beyond confirm the latest loss and catastrophic failure, and then the ensuing pointless wins to ruin any chance at a franchise QB etc. The Snyder ---- the last few years has jammed a couple of more knife strokes into my fandom. 

It would be fair to say that I don't care about the results much anymore. As long as the attempted builds remain incompetent in approach, I can't take it very seriously, the fact that the FO, and owner have been loathesome pieces of trash until Ron arrived (and that applies to just Ron and some others) has made it nearly impossible to care anymore. I can imagine my fandom coming back, somewhat passively with best practices and good process involved, but I can't imagine that happening w/o Snyder being gone. Regardless, it says something that being a fan of this team is basically a consistently miserable, utterly ---- experience, and has been for decades and decades. And as for my son, I've made a point of insuring he doesn't follow me down this road, no need to make this multi-generational. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Commander PK said:

No, but if they left the area I’m out.  I root for the team in my geographical area.  I would never be a fan of a team from a place I have never been to and can’t even pinpoint on a map.  Like a lot of NFL fans.  

The NFL is full of fans who jumped on bandwagons when things were looking good.  My fandom means a hell of a lot more to me than that.  My team reps my home.  

You imagine something that generally isn't accurate. I know in my case, I was turned into a redskin fan by my older brother when I was little. It is easy to be a fan of the local team, easy as hell. Far more difficult to be a fan growing up of a team from outside the local area. You get harassed about it ALL SEASON LONG as a kid. Taunted mercilessly at school if your team sucks by EVERYONE. Getting spit on and attacked leaving stadiums, having your car trashed after losing yet another game against the local team in the parking lot etc. Its anything but easy.

You imagine its bandwagoners. Its not. Its usually kids who have family from somewhere else, and so are taught by their parents to follow a different team, or simply become a fan because of a particular player, color of uniform etc. I had a friend that chose to be an Eagles fan when they were crap, same with Packers, an Oilers fan because Earl Campbell was cool, a Steelers fan because of the black and Gold unis etc.

Are there homers? Sure, yankees fans, red sox fans, dodger fans, cowboys fans, but generally that sort of fandom is more NBA connected than NFL connected. 

I am not quibbling with your home loyalty, just with your depiction of bandwagon fans. Generally bandwagon fans are most commonly fans of the local team that sit on their hands when the team sucks and put the jersey on when they win, simple as that.

• Like 2

Nothing short of team relocation would end me.

Outside of that, there is nothing that has not already been done and my yet fandom remains.

What are they gonna do?

Suck for another 30 years? Been there

Make horrible player acquisitions? Done that

Mortgage the future? Seen it

Have a craptastic stadium? Already have one

Go thru an epic fail of a rebrand? Yawn

Have an owner I despise? Its all I've known

If you have been thru all this and are still a fan of this team then your fandom is as much of a zombie as I am. Its un-killable

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have not watched a Commanders game so far this season. Yes, I’m pretty much done. I’m going to stay a bachelor after the end of this 41 year marriage. It feels good to just enjoy watching football without it ruining my week. 

Edited by Napredskins1
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My fandom is on E and has been for a while.  I know it doesn’t seem that way because I still post here.  But posting here is more like counseling and habit than it is actually caring about the team.  

I can barely muster emotion for this team in week 1, much less week 5 at 1-3.  They’ve broken me, to a point where I spend most games looking through my phone vs paying full attention to the game.

I can’t even muster the juice for firing this guy or that guy, who is going to be next, why they will be so much better than the last guy, yadda yadda.  It’s always just different characters but the same old story.  

• Like 2

The only DC football game I've been to in quite some time was a Defenders game. If and when they come back they will be my #1 football team.

Only way I'll fully reinvest in this team is if Snyder dies or he finally hires a GM and ****s off on his yacht and cruises around the world until he dies. 

Edited by CobraCommander

10 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I am not quibbling with your home loyalty, just with your depiction of bandwagon fans. Generally bandwagon fans are most commonly fans of the local team that sit on their hands when the team sucks and put the jersey on when they win, simple as that.

I think we can both be correct here.  There are absolutely National fans of the Cowboys who started in the 90's and have never lived in Texas. There are absolutely fans of the Patriots who started out in the 00's and have never been to New England.  Prior to the Brady/Bellichik era you couldn't find anyone who was a New England fan.  I don't really have an issue with fans who grew up in other parts of the country and then moved here for whatever reason, usually for their parent's work.  I get that.  I would have been no different.  

What I don't get, is people who grew up in Hyattsville, couldn't find San Francisco on a map,...yet are lifelong 49'ers fans.  How do you get that emotionally attached to a team from a place you have never been? 

Edited by Commander PK
  • Like 1

"Do you see yourself at some pointing ending being a Commanders fan???"

giphy.gif

And to answer your question, no.

If the Washington Redskins/Football Team/Commanders don't improve or cease to exist, I'm not jumping to another team. I wouldn't enjoy it. If they were replaced with an expansion team, I'd probably give them a try...maybe lol...

• Like 1

I watch every minute of every weeks game. It’s just what I do, what I’ve always done. And I really really don’t know how to change it. But I know it makes me miserable. 
I recently quit drinking, feel the best I’ve felt in years… maybe turning 40 has me thinking about how I invest my time 17 Sunday’s a year. It’s completely joyless, it ruins my day, my interactions with people for the rest of the day. I need someone to men in black zap my memory and make me a chiefs fan (live in MO)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

I've started betting against them and am making good money in the process.  Does that mean I'm not a fan or that I cheer for their failure?  No, it just means I want to derive something positive from my relationship with this franchise, and that's where we are these days.  Just an incredibly sad state of affairs.  I don't know what joy Dan Snyder could possibly derive from owning this team other than the fact that it feeds his insatiable ego to be an NFL owner and that combined with his greed means he will never, ever willingly part ways with the franchise.  And for so long as the latter point is true, we will never ever have any success as a franchise.  

It starts and stops with Dan.  He can't build a winner here.