Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washingburgh at Dallas

TK
Message added by TK,

2099317008_ScreenShot2022-10-02at4_12_04PM.thumb.png.6becb16f5bf4f6381d0eb60f17bb2d89.png

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

It’s not the QB. Hell it’s not even the HC/GM.

Its the owner. Until he figures it out or dies, we have no chance at being competitive. 

Easy on the death talk there fella

Dans a given as a disaster we know that, but that shouldn’t excuse high level incompetence from the HC, OC, DC and QB

Roll the dice and hope Dan hits would be my next move

Just now, HogsVa7 said:

I guess you miss what you seen in Wentz already. New season and it would be better than what we have been saying. If you want anymore we can take it to the tailgate forums cause I already know why you  don't like Heinieke. 

First, you’re weird for caring about me enough to suggest “you know why I don’t like Heineke”.

You’ve got the wrong guy though, chief.

I don’t dislike Heineke at all, but I 💯 dislike watching him play the Dallas Cowboys, or pretty much any team for that matter.

I don’t know how many more times I can say that IDGAF about Wentz.  I’d actually prefer they go with Heineke at this point, just for the sheer entertainment of watching you goobers make a bunch of excuses for his play.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Thius loss was of course on the offense. I think there is still time ofr them to make the proper correctiobns but will they is the question. I give them a couple more games like this then see what Howell has. I see people saying not to put him behind this line. Well he is young and mobile. He needs to learn by fire. 

This wouldn't be a bad season to stink in theory. 

A.  In theory good QB draft

B.  Might add to the pile for Dan to sell 

@Zim489 and I disagree on a bunch of things.  But we do agree that this team hasn't really crashed at the right time -- to get a cheap QB who is a stud.  Herbert and Burrow didn't exactly go to stellar franchises and still they turned those teams around fast.

I think the defense has been decent considering context.  I like our playmakers.

But Rivera IMO made the cardinal sin as to FO moves which is let his O line fall apart. One scout famously said you can be stacked elsewhere but teams with bad O lines are typically bad teams.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, HogsVa7 said:

I guess you miss what you seen in Wentz already. New season and it would be better than what we have been saying. If you want anymore we can take it to the tailgate forums cause I already know why you  don't like Heinieke. 

oh I don’t venture in there, do you guys have a thread in the Tailgate to discuss guys who aren’t NFL QB’s?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Easy on the death talk there fella

Dans a given as a disaster we know that, but that shouldn’t excuse high level incompetence from the HC, OC, DC and QB

Roll the dice and hope Dan hits would be my next move

He has never done the correct thing. Hire a GM first. Why would you have any confidence after 20 plus years of incompetence he would figure it out?

Good teams don’t roll dice. Good teams put in the work to figure it out.

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 3

Just now, CobraCommander said:

He has never done the correct thing. Hire a GM first. Why would you have any confidence after 20 plus years of incompetence he would figure it out?

I don’t, but our current options are roll with Ron and accept incompetence but competence enough to keep us away from an elite QB in the draft or roll the dice

Having watched into 3 years of Ron, I’ll vote for the gamble

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

The correct thing is selling the team, apologizing to fans, and agreeing never to return to the Washington area again.  

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

Ugh, it all comes flooding back.

I always remember a clip of Zorn chasing Candle out to the field telling him to fire up the offense... 

And Candle jogging on the field slowly clapping with a, "C'moooon guys!" 

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

well and I can’t tell, but I don’t think wentz is reading the defense well. 

You have to give a QB at least a beat to read the defense after the snap.  You can make a pre-read, but after the ball is snapped, you need at least some degree of time, call it 1.5 seconds, to look what is actually happening.

On so many of the plays, by 1.5 seconds, Wentz has to start to evade the guy who's bust through the middle of the line, and also figure out what the defense is doing at the same time.

Literally no QB can do that, at least not consistently.  

If it felt like Wentz was holding the ball, I'd give that to you.  But at least today, I didn't get that feeling.  It felt like the pressure was immediate and right in his face.

There are a couple of different schematic ways you can work around this:

1. roll the pocket one way or the other.  Which we NEVER do and is maddening.  And we never have done, literally forever.  I've never understood why we never move the pocket. Going back 40 years.  Literally the one time Gibbs 1 did it, the play got a nickname, Sprint-Bomb.  (I'm not picking on Gibbs, clearly they didn't HAVE to do it.  But the fact it was so novel to have Rypien run 8 steps to his left and then set up to throw shows you the fact they NEVER did it.) 

2. Never huddle and mix up the cadence so the defense can't queue on when the snap will come.  Peyton and the Colts were masters of this.  It's so easy, I don't know why we don't do this either.  You don't even have to go hurry-up, just don't huddle.

3. Add quick slants and quick outs to the playbook.  3 step drop from under center, which means the QB doesn't have to look at the ball to catch it, and can have his eyes on the defense the entire time, 3 step drop, plant, throw.  The entire WCO was based on a bad OL (Walsh invented it when he had a trash OL in Cincy), and based on quick throws from under center. I get that Turner runs the Coryell system.  But do more of that.  

4. STOP calling screens.  We don't have the athleticism on the OL to pull them off.  They always get blown up.  

Start with that.  Then come back and talk to me. 

• Like 1