Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washingburgh at Dallas

TK
Message added by TK,

2099317008_ScreenShot2022-10-02at4_12_04PM.thumb.png.6becb16f5bf4f6381d0eb60f17bb2d89.png

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think it's flipped somewhat with Ron and Jason vs. Dan and Bruce.  Dan's still around, but by all reported accounts, he's really not there much, and let's Ron do his thing.  He wasn't even at the draft.  I get it, he doesn't have to BE there to meddle.  But he was sitting at the head of the table when we drafted Haskins.  Granted, he wasn't there because he was hiding from Congress, so if he was able to get back in the country, maybe he would have been there...

Jay was given a purple-nerple by DJax.  He should have bee fired that evening.  Shows lacked any leadership whatsoever.  

I gave the Wentz thing about 60% chance of working out.  I liked the trade only insofar as it was the best of all the options.  Which I still think is true.  I would still prefer to have Wentz than forcing a draft pick to play early from this draft, or have Bridgewater, Mariota, Trubisky. Wilson was plan one, that failed.  Wentz was the best of the backup plans.

I don't care about the $28m. If they wanted to work around that, they could have.  

The best part of the trade was that you could get out of it for a 2nd and a 3rd.  The 2nd is already spent.  Not having a 3rd next year would suck. And I get it could be 2 2nds.  But if they are 1-8, they have to bench Wentz and save that second.  No matter what.

What I didn't expect was a complete implosion of the OL.  I just didn't see that coming.  I bought into Masko could make it work.  That might have been the complete undoing of the entire season.  

The oline implosion is due to the 28 million to wentz.

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

Because Howell would get killed behind this O line. That is not how you bring along a rookie, IMO and give him experience that would be beneficial to his development.  I think Wentz has played okay to well with a pocket. He has no time to throw and when he does, because he is rattled, because he can't get into a rhythm, he is throwing too high or too low. I think they have to fix the O line problem first. 

I think Howell would move WAAAAY better than Wentz is now. Howells a tough guy. The Online is trash but I believe Howell can survive it.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

6 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

The oline implosion is due to the 28 million to wentz.

That's not true.  They had plenty of cap money to do whatever they wanted to do.  They could have cleared a ton of cap space if they wanted to without touching Wentz's contract.  

$28m for a starting QB isn't that big a deal. 

I've done that explanation before, many times, in the off-season.  Galdi has done it on his podcast, Kevin on his, a whole bunch of folks have. The Rams have signed a pro-bowl team and keep signing people.  If they wanted to do it, they could have done anything they want easily.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

Howell is a backup QB in this league. We need to see if he has what it takes to be a #2

As others have pointed out, getting beat up behind a bad OL isn’t new to him. That was his last year at UNC. What he has going for him is he can pound the rock like a power back

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's not true.  They had plenty of cap money to do whatever they wanted to do.  They could have cleared a ton of cap space if they wanted to without touching Wentz's contract.  

$28m for a starting QB isn't that big a deal. 

I've done that explanation before, many times, in the off-season.  Galdi has done it on his podcast, Kevin on his, a whole bunch of folks have. The Rams have signed a pro-bowl team and keep signing people.  If they wanted to do it, they could have done anything they want easily.  

Then ron doesnt understand the cap. He has implied that they have no cap space to do those things

1 minute ago, BigDibbs31 said:

See all these other pass rushers making plays and causing fumbles across the league. Sweat is the biggest disappointment of the season so far for me. 

The picks made on the four D lineman are going to haunt us for years, only Allen and Payne have been worth the picks and Payne will probably leave after this season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Then ron doesnt understand the cap. He has implied that they have no cap space to do those things

I don't disagree with that.  He said it, and Galdi would comment every time he said it, he was basically lying.  Because if you look around the league, teams just keep signing guy after guy after guy and they make it work.  

I don't think he doesn't understand the cap.  But I do think they are massively conservative in their approach to the cap.

Maybe a different way to put it is they weren't going to be creative with the cap in order to sign players on the OL.  But they COULD have been.  They just chose not to.  

It was a bad choice.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The picks made on the four D lineman are going to haunt us for years, only Allen and Payne have been worth the picks and Payne will probably leave after this season.

I would trade Sweat and re-sign Payne.

I'm not going to give up on Young yet.  Rookie of the year in year 1, bad sophomore year and got hurt.  Need to see much, much more before declaring him a bust.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

See all these other pass rushers making plays and causing fumbles across the league. Sweat is the biggest disappointment of the season so far for me. 

I wouldn't call Sweat the biggest disappointment so far, unfortunately there have been plenty of others  but yeah he's been disappointing for damn sure. Lol

5 minutes ago, method man said:

Howell is a backup QB in this league. We need to see if he has what it takes to be a #2

As others have pointed out, getting beat up behind a bad OL isn’t new to him. That was his last year at UNC. What he has going for him is he can pound the rock like a power back

This is blasphemous. Howell is a QB1A+ and nothing you say can stop the truth… and since, once again, as was noted earlier by a forum poster that I think I am smarter than everyone. you cannot make a reasonable argument against my statement. 

We will sign Shane Buechele as QB2 in case Howell is beating teams too badly, though. 

• Haha 4

Hurney spent like a drunken sailor in Carolina with the cap.

Standig among others suggested Dan had them on a budget after the Wentz deal. 

Plenty of evidence backs that notion. Got zero doubt the Wentz deal stopped their ability to do other things. 

So yeah IMO the Wentz cap money is VERY relevant. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

This is blasphemous. Howell is a QB1A+ and nothing you say can stop the truth… and since, once again, as was noted earlier by a forum poster that I think I am smarter than everyone. you cannot make a reasonable argument against my statement. 

We will sign Shane Buechele as QB2 in case Howell is beating teams too badly, though. 

Lol. Both you and me liked him during the draft and I’m glad we have him but he ultimately does not have an elite trait. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Plenty of evidence backs that notion. Got zero doubt the Wentz deal stopped their ability to do other things. 

Perhaps even moreso than the trade compensation, the bigger miss was not forcing Indy to eat half the money in year 1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well, yeah, but the operative point here is the restrictions, not the QB contract. That’s only relevant because of the restrictions. That’s not the implication people who talk about Wentz’s contract are making, though. They think his contract would have caused this for every team, which isn’t the case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah.  

I mean, I'd like to see him get fired but it doesn't change anything.  Whoever they hire next will be just as bad.

Are you talking coach or GM?  Because if Snyder would hire a young, up and coming GM and simply GTFOOTW, I think we could get a quality coach.  

We are seeing just how damn good Roullier and Scherff were.  This year reminds me of when Chris Samuels had his career ending injury.

If it weren't for the injuries to Mathis and Robinson, the draft might be looking brilliant about now. Dotson is the first good WR we have drafted in the 1st round since Monk after 3 decades of busts. The glaring personnel weakness has been in free agency. Flowers and Ioannidis were on reasonable contracts, but we cut them and replaced them with over the hill Ron's guys.  Just a bit of creativity and we could have kept them.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

Well, yeah, but the operative point here is the restrictions, not the QB contract. That’s only relevant because of the restrictions. That’s not the implication people who talk about Wentz’s contract are making, though. They think his contract would have caused this for every team, which isn’t the case. 

Sure, its the restrictions.  I get the strong impression that Rivera was given a cash budget by Dan and met most of it via the Wentz deal.  Standig suggested this among others.  And there is plenty of other evidence that its true. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, method man said:

Lol. Both you and me liked him during the draft and I’m glad we have him but he ultimately does not have an elite trait. 

Perhaps even moreso than the trade compensation, the bigger miss was not forcing Indy to eat half the money in year 1

I hear you…

benedict arnold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

We are seeing just how damn good Roullier and Scherff were.  This year reminds me of when Chris Samuels had his career ending injury.

If it weren't for the injuries to Mathis and Robinson, the draft might be looking brilliant about now. Dotson is the first good WR we have drafted in the 1st round since Monk after 3 decades of busts. The glaring personnel weakness has been in free agency. Flowers and Ioannidis were on reasonable contracts, but we cut them and replaced them with over the hill Ron's guys.  Just a bit of creativity and we could have kept them.

No issues with cutting Io. The guy could not stay healthy and lost a step. He became a luxury after moving to the 4-3. It’s Settle we have every right to be pissed about. He apparently would’ve stayed for a reasonable offer