Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Ron's New Team vs Ron's Old Team

TK
Message added by TK,

1002617961_ScreenShot2022-08-13at4_09_48PM.thumb.png.bd0d4fe38fd812c9ec0f604ffe85d3e8.png

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I hope Scott Turner learned something by watching all of the crossing routes the Panthers ran that our defense had no answer for. With the speed guys we have we should beat teams all day long running those kind of routes. 

I'm sure he learned a lot from that preseason game about play calling.  :ols:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, dyst said:

Gibsons’s fumbling issues are one thing, but him not being a natural RB is the bigger problem. He is slow to react when finding and hitting an opening. 

I knew it was him without seeing his number, because of the stuttering of his feet before hitting the hole and dropping the ball.

• Like 3

i'm dropping this in here cuz of previous comments on non-commanders qbs made in here but this is technically off topic 😁 

(which is ok up to a point in many cases in many threads as most of you know)

the posts i refer to were about member's evals of the top qbs in the draft, and i also had howell and corral as the two i was most interested in with howell in front (i thought corral's size was a little iffy though i know we have a couple other guys doing well that are of smaller size) and couldn't believe he fell so far and was very happy we took him

but he was not my actual first love and that's who i want to mention: i think it was @Skinsinparadise and someone else like kdawg or steve mcqueen that i asked for their take on my attraction to mailik willis as a guy we should look at if he was around in the 3rd or 4th, which i didn't think he would be, and he was my biggest want at that time out of the group...i thought some risk, big upside

today i just want to give the dude a shout-out cuz he was the whole meal in the titans game showing a lot of flash and doing everything great from what i saw---improvised side-arms, running great, quick releases, long balls, all pretty damn impressive to my eyes...than vrabel pulled him for improvising on a play where he ran for a great first down but was supposed to pass and vrabel is reported as pulling him then  cuz he "wants the guys to run the offense as we've designed it"...which i get, but man willis looked good and lamar was showing him a lot of love after the game and was even caught on mike  saying to willis "this is your team now" ....watch out ryan 😁

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yea, but how much is he really explaining what's going on using actual terminology? Because I agree with where you're coming from, but that's his actual job opposite the other announcer. 

Fell asleep last before the second half, but I was hoping for more what folks like Romo, Aikman, and Madden do, I used to hear Denagelo do on radio before he left this year.

He was acting more like a hypeman then football expert, which I I know he's capable or, so yea, I'd like him to dial it back a little.

He’s Conan O’Brien in the 90s or Letterman in the 80s, not for the masses, but doesn’t operate with any fear. He is who he is and that works. 

Mild/medium sauce will always win over hot sauce. 

4 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Nah it was awful. His shtick works on the radio, not as a color commentator.

Zero shtick. That’s Doc from my view the last 15 years. I think that’s how he rolls in life. He believes every play has a chance to shift the momentum and be the catalyst to a win, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

i'm dropping this in here cuz of previous comments on non-commanders qbs made in here but this is technically off topic 😁 

(which is ok up to a point in many cases in many threads as most of you know)

the posts i refer to were about member's evals of the top qbs in the draft, and i also had howell and corral as the two i was most interested in with howell in front (i thought corral's size was a little iffy though i know we have a couple other guys doing well that are of smaller size) and couldn't believe he fell so far and was very happy we took him

but he was not my actual first love and that's who i want to mention: i think it was @Skinsinparadise and someone else like kdawg or steve mcqueen that i asked for their take on my attraction to mailik willis as a guy we should look at if he was around in the 3rd or 4th, which i didn't think he would be, and he was my biggest want at that time out of the group...i thought some risk, big upside

today i just want to give the dude a shout-out cuz he was the whole meal in the titans game showing a lot of flash and doing everything great from what i saw---improvised side-arms, running great, quick releases, long balls, all pretty damn impressive to my eyes...than vrabel pulled him for improvising on a play where he ran for a great first down but was supposed to pass and vrabel is reported as pulling him then  cuz he "wants the guys to run the offense as we've designed it"...which i get, but man willis looked good and lamar was showing him a lot of love after the game and was even caught on mike  saying to willis "this is your team now" ....watch out ryan 😁

Cringed when I saw a vrables  post game presser. It appeared we time traveled to the 90s. 

Edited by wit33
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I had to rewind that play several times, no I'm not convinced the contact caused that throw like that, and your screenshot doesn't prove it.

I'm not ready for Howell to be #2 until he does well against a higher string of players, that's preseason 101.

But I saw Taylor sail passes or throw ones that coulda got players injured no less then I saw last year in the first half last night.

I badly wanted to see some level of noticeable improvement, if you did, please tell me, unless you are still convinced he was fine last year (he wasn't, why we got Wentz and Howell).

If you watch his shoulders, they get whipped around as he’s throwing.  I can’t speak to improvement of course - too small a sample size - but at least the one pass he really sailed (over Milne) was while on the move - his bigger issue last year, IMO, was sailing balls when set in the pocket.  On second watch, Wentz and Heinicke both threw a ball that lead the receiver into a big hit.  In fact, Wentz’s was more egregious (though he gets more leeway for it).  

Maybe the one mark in TH’s favor (on the improvement front) is that Keim has said he’s had a good camp, which wasn’t the case last offseason.

As to being ‘fine’ last year, it’s kind of subjective, right?  Like, do you factor in the lack of weapons, poor D, tough schedule, the fact he was a backup (including in TC), etc?  Does ‘fine’ mean average?  Also depends on how much one weights his pretty atrocious end to the season - is that who he is/have Ds figured him out?  Or was it more the lack of weapons/recovering from Covid?.

But either way, no matter what context one includes, for a guy in his situation (lack of some physical attributes, inexperienced UDFA), no team is going to be content with ‘fine’.  So upgrading was seen as a necessity (as it should have been).  I do think the team was happy for him to go into the season as the backup - Howell was a guy the team really liked, but they only picked him once they reached the point the value was too good to pass on.  

While I think Heinicke gets too much crap on here,  I’m thrilled to have Howell developing.  Heck, as much as I respect Heinicke and hope he proves detractors wrong, I’d be even more pumped if Howell plays so well that the team feels comfortable moving on from Heinicke.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I knew it was him without seeing his number, because of the stuttering of his feet before hitting the hole and dropping the ball.

Yep, even his rookie year when he had good numbers, he left a lot on the table. You could see it when McKissic would come in and how fast he hit the crease etc.

• Like 3

Another one of my pet peaves showed up yesterday, taking kickoffs out of the endzone.

First two we lost 20 yards of field position.

I'm hoping it's just a preseason thing because they want to see the return unit in action but that really chaps my ass.

No reason to ever take the ball out of the endzone when they give you the 25.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Another one of my pet peaves showed up yesterday, taking kickoffs out of the endzone.

First two we lost 20 yards of field position.

I'm hoping it's just a preseason thing because they want to see the return unit in action but that really chaps my ass.

No reason to ever take the ball out of the endzone when they give you the 25.

You said it, it's a preseason thing. ST coaches want to evaluate returnees. Can't really do that if they're taking a knee in the end zone every time.

They'll taper that **** off once the regular season starts.  But for right now, it's all about who gives them the best returners and they can only do that if they're actually returning.  

Not to mention, for several of these players, it's the only chance they'll probably get to catch the coaches attention. Make the most of every opportunity. 

HTTR!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Finished 2nd half.

Howell made some throws that Taylor cant from an arm strength perspective.  He might not be a magician from a mobility standpoint, but he has the wheels to make people pay if that middle of the field is wide open but none of his recievers are. 

But I saw at least one throw that let me know he had to work in consistency.  He'd be wasted playing against 3rd and 4th stringers again 

Also, I didn't see #16 Parker on defense a lot, but when I did it looked like everytime he was making plays.  That hit to kill a roll out by the QB was the type of closing speed and finishing ability you need in 2020s NFL with all these mobile QBs everywhere, rooting for him, want to see more of him.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

9 hours ago, sebestian said:

2. Antonio Gibson messing around with his future right now with his ability to put the ball on the ground. For real. He’s on full blast notice for me of losing his job out right. Number 8 looks ready to work-this!!

1 game, Howell looks good, lets not put him in the hall of fame just yet, (thanks Bill) good encouraging start.  

#8 ready to play and I like him alot.  #24 can you hear that, thats time ticking, unless you learn to hold on to the ball.  Matt Jones anyone.  (I might have the name wrong) I think he is also a better fit for this offensive line.  The boys up front want to smash people, and that fits #8 to a t, and he can also explode anytime.  Impressed with #8.

On a side note.  I love the uniforms, especially the helmet.

#take command

I really see the lack of playmaking at LB that everyone has been reporting from camp thought we were better with Landon Collins when he got moved to LB last season.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I really see the lack of playmaking at LB that everyone has been reporting from camp thought we were better with Landon Collins when he got moved to LB last season.  

We need to call him yesterday, Davis is feeling like a bust and Cole is overachiever at best right now.

• Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

It really is a headscratcher that we aren't addressing Linebacker. I feel like Rivera is really putting all his chips in on Jamin and it's going to get ugly. 

If it doesn't work out, that may be reason enough to say that his GM duties are over.  Single-handedly the most neglected spot on the entire team and we didn't do anything except bring in a few journeymen as camp fodder.  I think it's definitely going to get ugly.