Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Ron's New Team vs Ron's Old Team

TK
Message added by TK,

1002617961_ScreenShot2022-08-13at4_09_48PM.thumb.png.bd0d4fe38fd812c9ec0f604ffe85d3e8.png

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Not that it matters in preseason, but Howell came back and willed that team to a victory before the defense (and possible poor penalty calls) gave it right away. Impressive showing for him 

That illegal contact penalty was a phantom call for sure.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Pretty entertaining for a preseason game. Anticlimactic finish tho. 

Quite possibly the worst game winning drive of all all time. Still don't know how they even got in field goal range with the way Corral played out there 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

If Howell was 6’4 he would have been the first qb taken. Regardless he stands in the pocket taller than his 6’1 frame ala Brees. 

If he was 6’4 he would have been the first pick in the draft.  And maybe the second and third also….

44 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I really like Logan Paulsen's sideline interviews - he actually adds some interesting information in there - like who knew Cosmi likes LEGO sets?  That's kind of fun.

I think Paulsen had him on his podcast and talked about it with him.  If it wasn’t his, it was JP’s. 

41 minutes ago, TK said:

Nah. I've been drunk with him. This ain't it. 

Don’t  you share something else with Doc?  

29 minutes ago, Conn said:

*whispers from beyond the veil* 

it was always horrible 

But it was our horrible so shut up you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Defense still can't get off the field on 3rd down.     The defense was bad last year and you lose Collins, Settile and Iaonnidis and you replace them with Mathis and Butler?

C;mon man!

D-Line, LB and CB are flat out not good enough.  

Rivera is going to wait until we're 2-6 until he makes the changes needed.   

• Thumb up 1

A few thoughts on the announcers:

Doc Walker as the color announcer seems to only have the "make-a-play" paint brush.

Logan Paulsen drinking game - every time he says "absolutely".  He would ask a question, get a response, say "Absolutely." and move on to next question.  No interaction - not an interview.  Needs to work on the live interview interaction.

:229:The Rook

6 minutes ago, Capsman said:

Missed the game but did Dotson play?  If so, he couldn’t get a reception in a preseason game?

Yeah.  He had a step on a corner route that Carson just missed on.  Only ball I saw thrown his way.

5 minutes ago, Capsman said:

Missed the game but did Dotson play?  If so, he couldn’t get a reception in a preseason game?

It seemed to my untrained eye that the 1st team offense was trying to work passes to the young TEs - Rogers & Hodges - by design. I think TMac was targeted twice with 1 reception. I don't recall seeing Dotson in while Heinicke was in the game. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Defense still can't get off the field on 3rd down.     The defense was bad last year and you lose Collins, Settile and Iaonnidis and you replace them with Mathis and Butler?

C;mon man!

D-Line, LB and CB are flat out not good enough.  

Rivera is going to wait until we're 2-6 until he makes the changes needed.   

So, of all the things I would be concerned about in a preseason game, scheming up a defense for 3rd downs is not one of them.  I was not able to watch the game (or even listen to it) because I'm out of the country.  Having said that, I would be very surprised if they really TRIED to scheme anything to stop a 3rd down against the Panthers.  They probably didn't blitz mutch, they probably played it very basic, and if it didn't work, it didn't work.  

Things I look for (when I can actually watch) in pre-season games:

1. Does the team look prepared?

2. On offense, can they get into some rhythm?  

3. Is there immediate and constant pressure on our QB?

4. Are DBs getting beat 1:1 like a drum?

5. On defense, can the front 4 generate any degree of pressure without any particular scheme to help them out?

6. On defense, are there huge busts in coverage

7. Do the starters hold their own, or do they look completely over-matched?

8. Do the backups hold their own, or do they look completely over-matched?

There will always be players who shine, others who fizzle, some great plays, some debacles.  None of it means much.  3rd down defense, I'm not going to get terrible worried about it until the regular season.  Though, they need to make sure it's working at the beginning of the season, they can't have it broken until half way through the season.

From what I read, the takeaways I think are somewhat universal:

- The Gibson fumble.  If you had a fumbling problem last year, you CAN'T have a fumble on your second/third, whatever, carry in the preseason.  That's a cardinal sin, and it might have cost Gibson his starting job. You don't want to over-state a preseason play, but that was BAD. 

- Wentz didn't crap all over himself.  He looked "fine"  From what I surmised, he had a bunch of short completions, maybe missed a deep shot, and had a couple drops.  Ok, fine.  Something to build on, but certainly wasn't the national joke he has been painted to be.

- The starting defense seems like it had some questions.  Mayfield and the Panthers seemed to have their way with them a bit.  Will be interesting to see what Ron takes from that.

- Robinson took Gibson's job after the fumble, and he might just hold onto it.  Looked good.

- TH looked like TH.  And only the most diehard hive members are going to try and defend his performance.  

- Howell looked cool as a cucumber, used his legs and his arm, and played well.  Against a whole bunch of guys who are probably going to be "bagging groceries" in a few weeks, but also with a whole bunch of guys who are going to be "bagging groceries" in a few weeks.  What does that mean?  Eh, who knows.  But it's better to look good than bad, so there's that.  

I'm not sure I saw a lot of consensus opinions either here or on Twitter.  

• Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

The Heinicke era is also over.

I think he is like a binky for Ron and Scott Turner, though, so I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if he started the season as the backup.  However, if there was a significant stretch of games Wentz was going to miss during injury, I think they would turn to Howell.  I don't think they will put TH out there to start games unless they absolutely, positively have to.  He can come in for Wentz in a pinch, but I don't think they want a repeat of last year's offense, which is what they would have to do if they played TH for any length of time.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

It seemed to my untrained eye that the 1st team offense was trying to work passes to the young TEs - Rogers & Hodges - by design. I think TMac was targeted twice with 1 reception. I don't recall seeing Dotson in while Heinicke was in the game. 

Not just the first team, pretty much the whole game. W/ no Logan or Turner they wanted to see if Rogers and Hodges can hold up.

I saw a lot of shots of Reyes on the sideline w/o a helmet. I'm not even sure if he played. The specifically wanted to see those guys.

Not sure that makes me feel better about Logan's prognosis tho.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, of all the things I would be concerned about in a preseason game, scheming up a defense for 3rd downs is not one of them.  I was not able to watch the game (or even listen to it) because I'm out of the country.  Having said that, I would be very surprised if they really TRIED to scheme anything to stop a 3rd down against the Panthers.  They probably didn't blitz mutch, they probably played it very basic, and if it didn't work, it didn't work.  

Things I look for (when I can actually watch) in pre-season games:

1. Does the team look prepared?

2. On offense, can they get into some rhythm?  

3. Is there immediate and constant pressure on our QB?

4. Are DBs getting beat 1:1 like a drum?

5. On defense, can the front 4 generate any degree of pressure without any particular scheme to help them out?

6. On defense, are there huge busts in coverage

7. Do the starters hold their own, or do they look completely over-matched?

8. Do the backups hold their own, or do they look completely over-matched?

There will always be players who shine, others who fizzle, some great plays, some debacles.  None of it means much.  3rd down defense, I'm not going to get terrible worried about it until the regular season.  Though, they need to make sure it's working at the beginning of the season, they can't have it broken until half way through the season.

From what I read, the takeaways I think are somewhat universal:

- The Gibson fumble.  If you had a fumbling problem last year, you CAN'T have a fumble on your second/third, whatever, carry in the preseason.  That's a cardinal sin, and it might have cost Gibson his starting job. You don't want to over-state a preseason play, but that was BAD. 

- Wentz didn't crap all over himself.  He looked "fine"  From what I surmised, he had a bunch of short completions, maybe missed a deep shot, and had a couple drops.  Ok, fine.  Something to build on, but certainly wasn't the national joke he has been painted to be.

- The starting defense seems like it had some questions.  Mayfield and the Panthers seemed to have their way with them a bit.  Will be interesting to see what Ron takes from that.

- Robinson took Gibson's job after the fumble, and he might just hold onto it.  Looked good.

- TH looked like TH.  And only the most diehard hive members are going to try and defend his performance.  

- Howell looked cool as a cucumber, used his legs and his arm, and played well.  Against a whole bunch of guys who are probably going to be "bagging groceries" in a few weeks, but also with a whole bunch of guys who are going to be "bagging groceries" in a few weeks.  What does that mean?  Eh, who knows.  But it's better to look good than bad, so there's that.  

I'm not sure I saw a lot of consensus opinions either here or on Twitter.  

I think Walker gave the defense more trouble than Baker. His score came off the Gibson fumble. Darnold was nothing. After that I think it was fear of Walker running that kept them honest