Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Ron's New Team vs Ron's Old Team

TK
Message added by TK,

1002617961_ScreenShot2022-08-13at4_09_48PM.thumb.png.bd0d4fe38fd812c9ec0f604ffe85d3e8.png

My Quick little recap of the game….

It’s preseason so no biggie on any of this… yet. 
it’s gonna sound negative but I promise I’m a positive guy.

1. Dang if the defense wasn’t familiar getting slowly dragged and stomped by the panthers O well into the 3rd quarter. LB’s still a major problem, smh on our stubbornness to get this right. Disappointing performance on that side of the ball. Undisciplined late in the game. Del Rio on my hot seat, doubtful on Ron’s.

2. Antonio Gibson messing around with his future right now with his ability to put the ball on the ground. For real. He’s on full blast notice for me of losing his job out right. Number 8 looks ready to work.

3. Wentz was fine, glad he got his TD drive. Want to see him look downfield more for his real weapons and away from the TE, 1-3 yards past the LOS. They said he wouldn’t hit his dump off? He hit it for like 76% today.  Excited to see him play with more urgency and agency in a few weeks. But overall encouraged with his first walk in the park. 
Same with the OLine, thumbs up.

4. Howell was a pleasant development. Sets up nicely for him to play a bunch in these games. He seems smart, fearless, strong armed, and mobile. Excited to see him grow. 

5. Percy Butler looks the part, big and fast.  A bunch of No’s on the 2nd or 3rd string LB’s. 

6. missed extra point?. NO. 

lots to work on.
Encouraged with the start but a long way to go. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Watching the recording now because was in and out having family around.

I echo concerns about Gibson, to point I want to see Robinson with the 1s next game.  Felt I was in minority wanting to give him another chance to be the starter, but a talented rb that keeps fumbling the ball is jus as bad as one that can't stay healthy.

Dotson and Terry seemed to be beating corners at will on that TD drive with Wentz, that's all I needed to see from the offense, everything else was gravy.

I don't feel any better about linebackers then I did when I was at the practice at FedEx the other day.

I agree in missing Joey T and never believing I'd say that.  Doc is a football cliche machine gun on cocaine, never thought I needed that in doses until now.

Bout to see what I hope is my last time seeing Heinicke play...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Howell wasn't drafted to hold a clipboard, people who think Henicke's spot at #2 on the depth chart is safe are mistaken.

The difference right now is Howell has to learn the things at are coachable where as Henicke's issues can't be solved with coaching. 

It'll take more than one nice showing in preseason for him to get there but Howell is going to be the backup sooner than later, and let's be real, that's why he was drafted because regardless of how Wentz turns out, the coaches likely don't want to be a play away from turning to Henicke for any amount of extended time.

RR has been through QB hell in his 2 years in Washington...TH has been one of the constants that he can count on to stay healthy and be a leader, regardless of his shortcomings. Last year this team lost Fitzpatrick less than one game into the season and TH stepped in to do a pretty good job up until COVID ravaged the entire team. As good as Howell looked today it was still against 3rd and 4th stringers in a preseason game. TH has beaten Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan and others while learning on the job. Howell may be the future but I doubt RR is willing to let TH go given the QB carousel the WFT has had in the past 2 seasons. I hope Howell is the next Brett Favre but I also hope he doesn't take a snap this season so he can learn. I also hope Wentz does well and takes us to the playoffs...

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Taylor got hit on his non-throwing arm after he committed and nearly had the ball out his hand on that interception, not buying it had an impact, it was a flying duck sent to die for whoever wanted it more.

Might as well yelled 700 so it wasn't his turn to throw anymore...

Make it stop, I'm trying, I don't see any improvement or leap from last year, he is who he is.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Taylor got hit on his non-throwing arm after he committed and nearly had the ball out his hand...

Defender had a hand on his left shoulder before the ball left his hand or before he moved his hand back to throw. I have no problem in criticizing Taylor for his screw ups but I think this was not totally on him the way I see it. Up to this point he led 3 1st down drives. He wasn't that bad and I am not sure what good we are looking from him. 

I know most of you would love for Howell to be #2 but I would dial that back a bit until he is really ready. That would be next year after Taylor's contract runs out. So, let him sit and watch and learn first. I really don't see the rush here. 

Untitled.thumb.png.5974300ecb12b01614bd926c3c6694ce.png

• Like 1

I’m all for Doc as an announcer, he focuses on the trenches while I follow the ball. It would be one thing if it was shtick or something, but he believes what he’s saying to the core and has seen it done wrong for better part of 30 years. 

Most announcers are trying to be something they are not, Doc calls it like he sees it. Authenticity all day for me. 

• Like 7

2. Antonio Gibson messing around with his future right now with his ability to put the ball on the ground. For real. He’s on full blast notice for me of losing his job out right. Number 8 looks ready to work-this!!

1 game, Howell looks good, lets not put him in the hall of fame just yet, (thanks Bill) good encouraging start.  

#8 ready to play and I like him alot.  #24 can you hear that, thats time ticking, unless you learn to hold on to the ball.  Matt Jones anyone.  (I might have the name wrong) I think he is also a better fit for this offensive line.  The boys up front want to smash people, and that fits #8 to a t, and he can also explode anytime.  Impressed with #8.

On a side note.  I love the uniforms, especially the helmet.

#take command

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

I’m all for Doc as an announcer, he focuses on the trenches while I follow the ball. It would be one thing if it was shtick or something, but he believes what he’s saying to the core and has seen it done wrong for better part of 30 years. 

Most announcers are trying to be something they are not, Doc calls it like he sees it. Authenticity all day for me. 

Yea, but how much is he really explaining what's going on using actual terminology? Because I agree with where you're coming from, but that's his actual job opposite the other announcer. 

Fell asleep last before the second half, but I was hoping for more what folks like Romo, Aikman, and Madden do, I used to hear Denagelo do on radio before he left this year.

He was acting more like a hypeman then football expert, which I I know he's capable or, so yea, I'd like him to dial it back a little.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

Nah it was awful. His shtick works on the radio, not as a color commentator.

• Thanks 4

8 hours ago, zCommander said:

Defender had a hand on his left shoulder before the ball left his hand or before he moved his hand back to throw. I have no problem in criticizing Taylor for his screw ups but I think this was not totally on him the way I see it. Up to this point he led 3 1st down drives. He wasn't that bad and I am not sure what good we are looking from him. 

I know most of you would love for Howell to be #2 but I would dial that back a bit until he is really ready. That would be next year after Taylor's contract runs out. So, let him sit and watch and learn first. I really don't see the rush here. 

Untitled.thumb.png.5974300ecb12b01614bd926c3c6694ce.png

I had to rewind that play several times, no I'm not convinced the contact caused that throw like that, and your screenshot doesn't prove it.

I'm not ready for Howell to be #2 until he does well against a higher string of players, that's preseason 101.

But I saw Taylor sail passes or throw ones that coulda got players injured no less then I saw last year in the first half last night.

I badly wanted to see some level of noticeable improvement, if you did, please tell me, unless you are still convinced he was fine last year (he wasn't, why we got Wentz and Howell).

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, justice98 said:

.... "doesn't belong in this league" is a ridiculous thing to say for him.

Treating him like John Riggins was our dumbass fault. You need an eye for RB. 5-10 touches.

17 hours ago, KDawg said:

Remember when people told me I was nuts

I was there with u. Fell in our laps and we blew. Hope Jamin makes a big leap.

17 hours ago, KDawg said:

.... of our three backs we only have one who is a primary ball carrier.

1 is all it takes. We have a strong committee.

17 hours ago, Hooper said:

Doc Walker is laughably bad at this. 

Why all the Doc hate??? And somebody wrote how he was for "low IQ" fans. Wow

15 hours ago, Yng Lady88 said:

" we have guys willing to fire the clip and ready to unload". 

I knew what he meant. And he lead with a disclaimer right. But jobs/livelihoods are on the line and we looked soft at times.

15 hours ago, tomwvr said:

Some one made a comment that howell is Taylor with an arm

Baker with a bigger engine??

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I had to rewind that play several times, no I'm not convinced the contact caused that throw like that, and tour screenshot doesn't prove it.

I'm not ready for Howell to be #2 until he does well against a higher string of players, that's preseason 101.

But I saw Taylor sail passes or throw ones that coulda got players injured now less then I lsaw last year in the first half last night.

I badly wanted to see some level of noticeable improvement, if you did, please tell me, unless you are still convinced he was fine last year (he wasn't, why we got Wentz and Howell).

I don't think there was that much improvement from TH. But being more careful with his throws all he needs to do. Maybe that throw would have been high anyway without the defender grabbing his left arm/shoulder. I know last year he was trying really hard to impress. As long as he can do the things he knows but do it better is all you can ask out of him for this year. I still like his scrambling abilities like that run for a 1st down and knowing where the marker was. He is still a good backup for us if needed. 

To be honest I was more interested in how Wentz was going to play and Howell instead.

I like to see Howell with the 1st and 2nd stringer as well to see where he is at as well. But even with 3rd and 4th stringers I really liked his decisions making though. Football smarts. Maybe too early to say he has the IT factor but he looked good. I think he did better than some other rookies selected before him. 

As for the D, Del Rio needs to get his **** together before the season starts. Can't have stupid penalties to give the other team a win in the last 2 minutes of the game. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1

Joining in and getting my programming concerns in:

Can we please stop with the "interviews" during the actual game?? Those are for half-time, post-game, and your podcast. We tuned in to see an actual game so we aren't listening to the words anyway. All you are doing is distracting us from whats happening on the field and that's why we tuned in. Happens every year. Please STOP

Oh yeah...and JD McKissic needs more touches. He's still electrifying

Edited by bowhunter
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

19 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Usually teams carry a full back as the 4th rb but we don’t use one so I think we carry 4 rbs especially since Gibby is injury prone. 

We have almost always carried 3 rbs. We are much more likely to carry an extra TE than a 4th rb this year imo