Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

36 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

And Arcega-Whiteside in the 2nd.  And trading a 3rd to move up for Smith (and passing on far superior players like Parsons & Slater).  

Granted I think both Parsons and Slater are better than Devonta Smith, but I think Smith is going to be a good WR and the value they got from that pick will be okay for the capital they used to get him.

26 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't know, I love Smith and can't criticize that decision.  Parsons was a revelation as a rookie, but I still wouldn't trust him at all, and I'm not sure he's that versatile and likely to sustain long term success.  Basically I think he's Lavar 2.0 and like Lavar, his star will burn bright but short.  Slater looks special but I'd take Smitty over him too if I were a GM.  I think Smith is going to be a great one and one of the best players to come out of that class.

I liked Smith in the draft too, but WR is such a deep position, and there is a difference between guys like Chase and Smith.  Parsons & Slater are elite already and harder to find positions.  Parsons had the red flags to be fair as you cited.  Slater is super clean though.  

22 minutes ago, Captain James said:

Doesn't seem like we're even considering Collins at all at this point unfortunately.

I don’t know why we all have such a hard time understanding that he didn’t like the position he excelled at here. I’m guilty of wishing we’d bring him back as well but he outwardly, vocally didn’t like what he was being asked to do here even though he complied and excelled. He wants to play safety, and his ego probably prevents him from playing for the vet min or close to it, given all the money he has in the bank. He also might not even like the defensive coaching staff here, given they’re the ones who asked him to play another position that he didn’t want to play. And given that reluctance, our coaching staff might dislike him right back. 

I wish none of this was true and that it was possible for us to bring him back in that role, though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

I dunno, not to the point of not needing more than the bare minimum to put a 43 out there altogether.

The way I see it, you can get away with one LB thumper who runs a 4.6, but if you have other slow dudes out there your defense will get smoked by the elite QBs in the NFL. 

“Small ball”/speed is where it’s at. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'd bet on it. And I would probably bet on it with more than a nickel.  

(See what I did there?  See?  SEE?)

I could absolutely see Fuller/WJIII/St. Juste/McCain/Curl/Butler all on the field at the same time.  

I could also see some 5-1-6 looks from time to time.

Honestly, I don't hate either of those packages.  The 5-1-6 would actually be really interesting, because having 3 safeties and 5 DL, that's tough to run against, but you have 6 DBs, that's a lot of speed as well...

I hope JDR is creative and mixes it up sometimes. 

It appears they have a new wrinkle or two to improve situationally. My guess is more speed on the field, people who can cover. 

Edited by wit33

You can argue all you want, that wasn't a good performance by TH.  It was somewhat ok.  He was very good against Tampa.  He was "good" against Carolina and "ok" against the Raiders.  And he wasn't very good against Seattle. And he was basically bad for the rest of the season, for whatever that's worth.  Those are the facts.  They are the only facts, and they are undisputed. (By anybody who watches football, that is...)

I already gave you the facts....you just countered with your opinion, which is what you always do. There's no alternative to what you believe so I just point out the facts whenever I respond to you. We'll just agree that you can have the last word because I know you will take it moving forward. Fact is, the WFT doesn't win that game without TH at QB and with him the fact is they did win it. 

I’d give this guy a look. Returner value, though he’s made some mistakes. Lots of physical talent as a receiver that he’s worked on trying to harness. Some character stuff in college, so a lot would depend on if he’s learned from it or not. But he’s got talent, and most importantly, a high ceiling. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I already gave you the facts....you just countered with your opinion, which is what you always do. There's no alternative to what you believe so I just point out the facts whenever I respond to you. We'll just agree that you can have the last word because I know you will take it moving forward. Fact is, the WFT doesn't win that game without TH at QB and with him the fact is they did win it. 

so you’ve been to the alternate timelines where someone else played? Interesting fact 

can we please drop the Heinicke stuff fellas. The guy doesn’t matter anymore until he does. And if that day comes, football gods help us. 

• Like 1

Actually, he was pretty terrible the entire night, specifically on 3rd down.  He had a QBR of 52.8.  That's somewhere between Bad and Very Bad. He had a 6.4 yards per attempt, which is pretty bad by NFL standards. You want that somewhere north of 7. His yards per completion was 8.2.  A good Yards per Completion is around 11.  Again, not very good.  The team was 5-13 on 3rd downs.  Not very good.  

He was mostly the reason we went 3-out so many times in the second half. 4 times in a row in fact, and why the game was so close to begin with.   It was the worst of his games in the 4 game winning streak.  By a a lot.  

I know, I know, he beat Wilson.  But not really.  They ran the ball 43 times for 143 yards.  Offensively, that was the engine.  

Do you really want to know why they won?  Because the defense held Seattle to 12 carries for 34 yards.  They were also putrid on 3rd down, 4-12, which was another big factor.  

You can argue all you want, that wasn't a good performance by TH.  It was somewhat ok.  He was very good against Tampa.  He was "good" against Carolina and "ok" against the Raiders.  And he wasn't very good against Seattle. And he was basically bad for the rest of the season, for whatever that's worth.  Those are the facts.  They are the only facts, and they are undisputed. (By anybody who watches football, that is...)

Actually, I’m pretty certain the 3 and outs (there were 3, not 4) were not on TH… like at all (weirdly so in fact, lol).

I don’t really want to relitigate TH, but when did the 1st NYG and ATL games become bad games?  My recollection is of winning two shootouts, capping both with game winning drives while overcoming porous defensive performances (albeit with some luck involved).

Edit: Not directed at you, but what’s with all the Eagles chatter on this thread?

Edited by skinny21

10 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I heard BMitch talking about this today and was saying kind of cryptically that teams who want certain guys back tell them to go hide, don't answer your phone for 24 hrs, etc.  It's apparently a "thing" teams do.

Sheesh I wish my boss would tell me to hide and not answer my phone for 24 hours 😂

• Haha 6

Apke back on the PS?!

Happy days. Didn't see that coming since we let him go a while ago.

That's a quality ST guy you can call up at any time.

With regular amount of attrition, He'll prob be a more often than not guy by the end of the year due to his ability to contribute on Teams. Love it.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

This is kind of an interesting situation. We claimed him, so he’s still on his 6th round rookie contract right? It’s rare to get a chance at a guy, even a 6th rounder, who has these kinds of tools that you would have drafted in the same year if you could have—I mean, if we’d have had a pick there he would have potentially been drafted by us literally four months ago, and almost certainly would have made the roster (obviously). It’s like getting a free draft pick, in retrospect. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I already gave you the facts....you just countered with your opinion, which is what you always do.

Actually, I countered with facts, including QBR, yards per attempt and yards per completion, and 3rd down conversions.  All of these are FACTS.    Which didn't fit into your narrative, so you label them an opinion.  

It's fine.  TH is exactly where he should be for this year, the backup. It's where he should have been last year absent a full year injury.  I'm really happy he is where he is this year.  Hopefully Howell takes over and he's off the team next year, because that would be the best thing for the team, having a 5th round draft pick develop into the backup QB.  

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I honestly wish we were handling lb like we're doing DB. I want youth and speed there. We have that in Davis and Cole. And maybe Milo. But Bostic?

Yeah, I'm actually excited to see how our young secondary pans out.

At LB, Cole has improved and I think that Milo's got potential. I'm still waiting for Davis to show something, but am willing to give him another season. Even for a team that mostly plays with two (or even just one) LBs on the field we seem a bit lightweight at the position and it's going to be worrying if Cole gets injured. Surely there were better options out there than Bostic?

It just seems like they didn't really have a plan; maybe they're going to go hard at LB next off season, but I'm sure that I said that last year.

39 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Edit: Not directed at you, but what’s with all the Eagles chatter on this thread?

only 17 discrete people actually post here nowadays, and one of them is also an Eagles fan, so it seems only fair.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm not going to overreact to this until I see Bostic playing meaningful snaps.  

A few things:

1. I just don't think they are going to play 4-3 very often.  So I don't think he's going to play much in those situations.

2. I think Eifert is the next guy up, not Bostic.  

3. I think he might be inactive on most game days unless there is an injury.

So, unless those things don't come true, I see him as the 48th person on the roster and not worth fretting about.  

I agree with not expecting 3 or more linebackers very often, it's jus not a strong group at all and drop off from a single injury will be immediately noticeable.

I’d give Jacob Harris (waived by the Rams) a look. Another tweener type, athletic 6’5” 4th round pick last year, already back from an ACL injury and moved to WR from TE. Showed some promise as a big slot in preseason, I’m surprised they cut him. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I agree with not expecting 3 or more linebackers very often, it's jus not a strong group at all and drop off from a single injury will be immediately noticeable.

Conversely, if it is as bad a unit as it seems, maybe we don’t actually see much drop off, lol

• Haha 1