Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'd bet on it. And I would probably bet on it with more than a nickel.  

(See what I did there?  See?  SEE?)

I could absolutely see Fuller/WJIII/St. Juste/McCain/Curl/Butler all on the field at the same time.  

I could also see some 5-1-6 looks from time to time.

Honestly, I don't hate either of those packages.  The 5-1-6 would actually be really interesting, because having 3 safeties and 5 DL, that's tough to run against, but you have 6 DBs, that's a lot of speed as well...

I hope JDR is creative and mixes it up sometimes. 

I think we’d get penalized for going 5-1-6.  I wouldn’t recommend it. 

• Haha 5
  • Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is about as close to waving the white flag on a position group as we eva gonna see...yikes...

I'm not going to overreact to this until I see Bostic playing meaningful snaps.  

A few things:

1. I just don't think they are going to play 4-3 very often.  So I don't think he's going to play much in those situations.

2. I think Eifert is the next guy up, not Bostic.  

3. I think he might be inactive on most game days unless there is an injury.

So, unless those things don't come true, I see him as the 48th person on the roster and not worth fretting about.  

I tend to hate on this FA for how old school they are but the corner situation is pretty good asset management by the FO. They are suddenly 8 deep at the position with Elder and Johnson on the practice squad. I love that they took a shoot on Castro-Fields (they must have liked him but didn't have a 6th round pick) and let's see on Wildgoose. On Castro-Fields, let's remember the 9ers are very deep at corner and also cut Dennard so my guess is this is more of a roster crunch than anything. 

• Like 6

Just now, method man said:

I tend to hate on this FA for how old school they are but the corner situation is pretty good asset management by the FO. They are suddenly 8 deep at the position with Elder and Johnson on the practice squad. I love that they took a shoot on Castro-Fields (they must have liked him but didn't have a 6th round pick) and let's see on Wildgoose. On Castro-Fields, let's remember the 9ers are very deep at corner and also cut Dennard so my guess is this is more of a roster crunch than anything. 

scot mcloughan seemed to like castro-fields from his podcast comments earlier this year

hope he does well

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm not going to overreact to this until I see Bostic playing meaningful snaps.  

A few things:

1. I just don't think they are going to play 4-3 very often.  So I don't think he's going to play much in those situations.

2. I think Eifert is the next guy up, not Bostic.  

3. I think he might be inactive on most game days unless there is an injury.

So, unless those things don't come true, I see him as the 48th person on the roster and not worth fretting about.  

Eifler and Bostic play different positions. Eifler is more Davis's backup and Bostic is Cole's backup. The ****ty thing though is they may go Bostic and Cole like last season with Davis as the third option

2 minutes ago, method man said:

The secondary in general looks so much more promising.  BSJ, Holmes, Castro-Fields, Wildgoose, Curl, Butler and Forrest.  Curl in his third year, the others in their 2nd or less.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Haven't they watched tape from last year?

I can't believe we're still riding with Bostic/Holcomb/Davis this year. Don't Ron remember his call about LB play?

Unreal... Tells how much in despair they are regarding the LB position.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Is Brett Kollman trying to claim that dumping Raegor for a piddly return is a win for Howie Roseman?  He's the moron who picked him 21st overall in 2020.

Right before the Vikings picked Justin Jefferson (I remember many Mock Drafts had the Eagles picking Jefferson before the draft). The Vikings war room been celebrating when they realised the Eagles took Reagor instead of Jefferson. Funny they got both of them now.

Edited by Vandelay_Industries
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Is Brett Kollman trying to claim that dumping Raegor for a piddly return is a win for Howie Roseman?  He's the moron who picked him 21st overall in 2020.

And Arcega-Whiteside in the 2nd.  And trading a 3rd to move up for Smith (and passing on far superior players like Parsons & Slater).  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

Haven't they watched tape from last year?

I can't believe we're still riding with Bostic/Holcomb/Davis this year. Don't Ron remember his call about LB play?

Unreal... Tells how much in despair they are regarding the LB position.

Agreed. Considering that both Ron and JDR were LBs, they don't seem to have got a handle on the position at all. The Bostic signing reeks of desperation. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

This is kinda crazy,  I wasnt a huge Mayo fan but i know he is pretty good on ST and I thought he was our 3rd option at LB.  They must think very highly of Milo Eifler.  Otherwise I have no clue about the LB depth. 

I actually really liked Eifler at Illinois.  Thought he was worthy of getting drafted on Day 3 based on his junior year, but his senior season went sideways because the Big 10 had a messed up season due to Covid, plus I think he got hurt.  After he went undrafted I was hoping we'd sign him but that was the offseason where we inexplicably ignored the UDFA period.  I like that he's found his way onto our roster.  He was a savage hitter in college, I'd love to see where he's at right now because I think he could be a strong special teams contributor.  This was a fun highlight video from the time:

Definitely wouldn't want him running downhill at me on coverage teams.

• Like 4

I don't really have a comment on the LBs. I like the youth aspect because I like potential in our backups. Not a big fan of the Bostic signing but I wonder what that means about Cole playing middle. 

The DBs we picked up look good but you do saturation why they were cut. Still, nice to have youth there and some size and man cover ability. Back with Norv all we did was man cover and just try to play the run better. We couldn't do that but it PS defense was always top 10 sometimes top 5. Hopefully we can see more of that. But I have a feeling that JDR doesn't like that

6 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Agreed. Considering that both Ron and JDR were LBs, they don't seem to have got a handle on the position at all. The Bostic signing reeks of desperation. 

I honestly wish we were handling lb like we're doing DB. I want youth and speed there. We have that in Davis and Cole. And maybe Milo. But Bostic?

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

And Arcega-Whiteside in the 2nd.  And trading a 3rd to move up for Smith (and passing on far superior players like Parsons & Slater).  

I don't know, I love Smith and can't criticize that decision.  Parsons was a revelation as a rookie, but I still wouldn't trust him at all, and I'm not sure he's that versatile and likely to sustain long term success.  Basically I think he's Lavar 2.0 and like Lavar, his star will burn bright but short.  Slater looks special but I'd take Smitty over him too if I were a GM.  I think Smith is going to be a great one and one of the best players to come out of that class.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, method man said:

Yeah I like the Castro-Fields signing too.  Athletes like him don't usually get cut in their first training camp, usually it's guys who are small or slow.  I think you're right that he's a product of a roster crunch.  I think this signing could actually be pretty important and that he'll play for us.  Not just his size and speed that I like, but also his motor.

Don't have an opinion on Wildgoose, I can't remember watching him before.

• Like 2

Bostic is to Rivera like McCoy was to Gruden.   These guys just have blind spots for players who played their position.

For them to have this kind of back 7 in year 3 is horrid.    I hope I'm proven wrong and a bunch of late round picks develop into at least solid players, but I'm skeptical.