Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

1 minute ago, Conn said:

I’d give Jacob Harris (waived by the Rams) a look. Another tweener type, athletic 6’5” 4th round pick last year, already back from an ACL injury and moved to WR from TE. Showed some promise as a big slot in preseason, I’m surprised they cut him. 

Which one of our 10 pass catchers do you dump?

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm not going to overreact to this until I see Bostic playing meaningful snaps.  

A few things:

1. I just don't think they are going to play 4-3 very often.  So I don't think he's going to play much in those situations.

2. I think Eifert is the next guy up, not Bostic.  

3. I think he might be inactive on most game days unless there is an injury.

So, unless those things don't come true, I see him as the 48th person on the roster and not worth fretting about.  

Yeah I was very concerned about the LBs through most of the off season.  But after watching Jamin closely in the preseason.  Liking what i've heard about Eifert.  And noticing that safety is a much more important spot on this defense than LB, I've become less concerned about LB and slightly more about safety.

I think you'll see more 1 LB sets then you will 3 LB sets.  Seems like the go to is 1 or 2 LBs.  In nickle, which is the base defense its either 3 safeties or St. Juste with 2 LBs.

And obvious run downs it seems to be 5 man fronts, not 3 LBs. 

I am not a Bostic guy but as a backup that's fine.  As a starter yuck.   I've heard for his faults as a player, he's a rock star leader in the locker room and helps the young players prepare and learn the opposing offense. 

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

Any data on win/loss records in these situations?

0-46

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Conversely, if it is as bad a unit as it seems, maybe we don’t actually see much drop off, lol

ti-indeed.gif.306628b83df041ab42e0d441375e76a6.gif

It's not rock bottom until Rivera decides to suit up as linebacker to jus do it himself like Jordan with the Wizards...jus feels like we bout six feet from that...

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Which one of our 10 pass catchers do you dump?

probably Sims or Dyami. He’s like a younger Sims that still has an unmet potential so likely him. Or the last TE on the roster, since Harris is essentially another tweener big slot like some of our other TE’s. But Wentz does well with those guys 

19 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Rivera and Co. value familiarity over quality which which is the only reason Bostic is back here.  Don't understand why a guy who played LB in the league can't find quality talent at the position

For a possible GameDay inactive (I'm assuming Bostic isn't doing special teams) you don't want to be paying them quality LB money. We want current cap to rollover to maintain flexibility for next off-season.

Bostic has the added benefit of knowing the scheme and being able to able in position meetings and film study.

He's a liability on the field, not arguing that. But there are benefits to having him around over other guys who don't know the scheme and got cut by other teams.

We just have to hope for no big injuries. If we stay healthy, then signing Bostic is an ok move.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

probably Sims or Dyami. He’s like a younger Sims that still has an unmet potential so likely him. Or the last TE on the roster, since Harris is essentially another tweener big slot like some of our other TE’s. But Wentz does well with those guys 

I looked at LAR’s roster construction.  Looks like they are only carrying 8 OL and 2 TEs.  Which is wild.

If it was me, I’d keep Rogers.  How does this guy do on team’s coverage?

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I was very concerned about the LBs through most of the off season.  But after watching Jamin closely in the preseason.  Liking what i've heard about Eifert.  And noticing that safety is a much more important spot on this defense than LB, I've become less concerned about LB and slightly more about safety.

I think you'll see more 1 LB sets then you will 3 LB sets.  Seems like the go to is 1 or 2 LBs.  In nickle, which is the base defense its either 3 safeties or St. Juste with 2 LBs.

And obvious run downs it seems to be 5 man fronts, not 3 LBs. 

I am not a Bostic guy but as a backup that's fine.  As a starter yuck.   I've heard for his faults as a player, he's a rock star leader in the locker room and helps the young players prepare and learn the opposing offense. 

0-46

Why this LB

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Apke back on the PS?!

Happy days. Didn't see that coming since we let him go a while ago.

That's a quality ST guy you can call up at any time.

With regular amount of attrition, He'll prob be a more often than not guy by the end of the year due to his ability to contribute on Teams. Love it.

😂

Well, Rivera and JDR certainly have a type when it comes to Lbs… holcomb, jamin, and milo are all super athletic. The tangibles are there, but if they can’t be coached into the high IQ/instincts by two former LBs and LB coaches then how can we feel any sense of confidence in the other positions being addressed correctly.

am I optimistic? Not especially, but friends let’s let this play out a little bit before jumping to conclusions. All arrows are pointing to jamin being significantly improved. Writing off anyone, before a meaningful down has been played, is comically ignorant.

27 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Pick one early so he can be the one guy on the field all the time

I think that was clearly the plan with Davis, he just failed at it (so far). Who knows, maybe he grows into it once he’s thinking less, as he seems to be getting comfortable finally. 

1 hour ago, Conn said:

If we drop Sims, I want it to be for a similar body style with better hands and routes. 

4 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I feel like I don't know anyone on this team anymore. Maybe I'm just old but I remember being able to cite the depth chart at most positions by memory, now I know basically no one outside of the ones any fan of the NFC East knows. I feel just so disconnected.

Man me too. Used to know who wore every number on the team. Kinda losing that passion now. 

• Thumb up 2

4 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Bostic blows.  

The weird part is Bostic didn't sign with New Orleans until August 15. If Washington wanted him that bad and would give him a 53 man spot, why didn't it happen here? It's an underwhelming move to say the least and bizarre timing

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

What’s the nuance around this?  Hodges hit the 53 yesterday.  They made the two claims.  Why can’t they cut Harris and IR Hodges?  Why do they have to wait and make this Mayo move?

Waivers clear around noon, while players cannot be placed on IR until 4 PM (at least if you want them eligible to return). So there's this gap the NFL builds in so can't just stash waiver claims (at least at the 53 man cut down) with IR'd players

7 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

If we drop Sims, I want it to be for a similar body style with better hands and routes. 

Yeah that’s why I said Jacob Harris. 6’5” tweener who at this junction can at least stretch the seam, but is more athletic and has two human hands instead of Sims’ human-hand-shaped sticks of butter

I know a lot guys on here despise Bostic but I actually like him especially as insurance if Holcomb gets hurt. I mean would you want to see Mayo’s slow to react behind out there manning the middle? Bostic is a vet and knows the system. He’s much more of a thumper than Mayo ever could be. 

Him and Milo as backups may not be perfect but good enough in my opinion. 

On another note. Does anyone think Apke has some incriminating dirt on Ron?  How is this guy still in the NFL?

• Like 2

Just an observation that i wanted to point out to the masses.

Don’t you think the fact that LB is not being prioritized by two ex linebackers that were GREAT and played that position, could be seen as a good thing?

What I mean by that, is it could have been their natural instinct to covet linebacker and keep more guys there and play a defense that features more 3 linebacker sets than 65 out of 1100 snaps or whatever. But they don’t. And it’s blatantly obvious that they don’t really care to prioritize that position.

To me, that indicates they are evolving with the game, and how modern offenses operate. Running backs and receivers and even some tight ends these days present huge mis matches against LB’s, no matter how good they may be in coverage. They just can’t keep up with that kind of athlete, nor should they be expected to. So why employ a scheme that puts you at a disadvantage before the ball is even snapped?

Now, to play devils advocate, maybe they just don’t have the guys to keep and feature more linebackers. And perhaps they see it as a dire weakness they further address next offseason. 

But it seems obvious with their moves that they don’t seem all that worried about that group. And to me, that indicates especially for jack and Ron, progressive thinking and adaptation to how the game is played in 2022. That’s a huge positive if my theory is correct, imo. I’m tired of playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess. Be creative and don’t be a dinosaur like we’ve been for 30 years.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CommanderCarson said:

Just an observation that i wanted to point out to the masses.

Don’t you think the fact that LB is not being prioritized by two ex linebackers that were GREAT and played that position, could be seen as a good thing?

What I mean by that, is it could have been their natural instinct to covet linebacker and keep more guys there and play a defense that features more 3 linebacker sets than 65 out of 1100 snaps or whatever. But they don’t. And it’s blatantly obvious that they don’t really care to prioritize that position.

To me, that indicates they are evolving with the game, and how modern offenses operate. Running backs and receivers and even some tight ends these days present huge mis matches against LB’s, no matter how good they may be in coverage. They just can’t keep up with that kind of athlete, nor should they be expected to. So why employ a scheme that puts you at a disadvantage before the ball is even snapped?

Now, to play devils advocate, maybe they just don’t have the guys to keep and feature more linebackers. And perhaps they see it as a dire weakness they further address next offseason. 

But it seems obvious with their moves that they don’t seem all that worried about that group. And to me, that indicates especially for jack and Ron, progressive thinking and adaptation to how the game is played in 2022. That’s a huge positive if my theory is correct, imo. I’m tired of playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess. Be creative and don’t be a dinosaur like we’ve been for 30 years.

I would give Ron and JDR the benefit of the doubt if the defense was good last year.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I know a lot guys on here despise Bostic but I actually like him especially as insurance if Holcomb gets hurt. I mean would you want to see Mayo’s slow to react behind out there manning the middle? Bostic is a vet and knows the system. He’s much more of a thumper than Mayo ever could be. 

Him and Milo as backups may not be perfect but good enough in my opinion. 

On another note. Does anyone think Apke has some incriminating dirt on Ron?  How is this guy still in the NFL?

Evidently they really appreciate his fantastic special teams skills.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I would give Ron and JDR the benefit of the doubt if the defense was good last year.   

It’s not about giving benefit of the doubt even though I know what you’re getting at and understand. 

Just pointing out that philosophically, you could interpret their tendency to steer away from loading up the position they used to play could indicate an ability to adapt with the current game. And I can appreciate that at least.

That is not to say the are geniuses or it even works out, the proof is in the pudding.

I’m not as down on the D’s prospects as you are though. I think they exposed themselves in the beginning of the year thinking they could get home with just 4 DL. This isn’t 2007 even, where passing offenses were more reliant on longer developing plays and defenses could get home. Now, just like we witnessed last year, teams get the ball out so fast and you can totally negate the pass rush. I think they started to figure it out during the 4 game win streak, against some pretty good QBs. The last 4-5 games, the defense was starting linebackers and players all over that I had to look up before the game due to Covid, and I think between that and a horribly frustrating start to last year has made the pendulum swing too far the other way. Id put money on this D finishing top half of the league.

You only need two good linebackers on your roster and our FO clearly thinks Jamin is one of them.  We'll see how he turns out, but I'm starting to feel hopeful about him.  He got good buzz this camp.  If he pans out, it'll change the outlook of our run defense.

Kind of surprised that Eifler made the cut and Khaleke Hudson ended up on the PS.  Also surprised that WBK didn't make the 53 and ended up on the PS too.  Shows that Shaka Toney has paid his dues.  WBK is a good player and it's a good sign of the depth of a position group when you can carry good players at the position on your PS.  Our path to success this season is the DL powering the way and the offense consistently generating explosive plays in the passing game.

• Like 2