Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

PCS

3 hours ago, lovemaskins said:

^^^i tend to agree, over the shoulder grabs are tougher and the ball was a bit overthrown on the drop, but receivers in the league are expected to catch a ball that hits the hands. I’m sure Sam would like the throw back and Dotson would absolutely tell you that’s a ball he has to catch… could still be Sam and his receivers getting on the same page.

Yeah, that’s at least 3 deep balls Sam should have put more to the sideline - probably fairly easy catches if he does.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, that’s at least 3 deep balls Sam should have put more to the sideline - probably fairly easy catches if he does.  

Datson dropped the big pass last week wide open, where are the hands he was bragging about? And he has had to many drops since he has been here..  Maybe Sam should throw it underhanded to him? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

I still have faith in Dotson figuring things out and being productive.  He has talent, just not strength, so he's not going to be dominating DBs physically.  He has to win via precision.  He also has to get some real opportunities to make plays, which have been miniscule for him.  Absolutely no receiver can thrive on one or two targets per game.  We have a lot of new parts trying to learn on the job aside from him on our offense right now--OC, QB, OL, RB, and he's fallen behind stronger and more experienced weapons in the passing game pecking order in Thomas/McLaurin/Samuel.  He still has a future here, guys like Samuel and Thomas probably don't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

He also has to get some real opportunities to make plays, which have been miniscule for him.  Absolutely no receiver can thrive on one or two targets per game.  

Dotson was targeted nine times in the Philadelphia game and seven times versus Arizona. I can see why Bieniemy ain't been dialing up too many plays for him. Dotson just doesn't make plays consistently when his number's called.

I agree tho. Four targets the last two games isn't an ideal situation for any player to have success. 

21 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Datson dropped the big pass last week wide open, where are the hands he was bragging about? And he has had to many drops since he has been here..  Maybe Sam should throw it underhanded to him? 

The one Sunday was extremely disappointing and yeah, this year he has in no way lived up to his potential....yet.

But too many drops? Nah.

Dropping balls has not been his problem. Not at all.

I believe he'll get it together. Hopefully soon rather than later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This season has been underwhelming which is weird because Dotson has always felt consistent. That drop was a gut punch so bad but I just don't remember him dropping many passes so far in his career. There was another similarly named receiver here who dropped passes and had homesickness of the knees I could see confusing the two. 

I'm still in Dotsons corner right now

9 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Probably doing some KR or PR work.  Nothing more IMO

The clip shows him working as a holder for field goals. 

Maybe he’ll be the emergency backup in case Tress gets hurt. 

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I forgot about the drop 2 weeks ago. It would make sense if an OC/QB would look elsewhere and then the WRs see his targets drop - pun intended. But at the end of the day its on EB to get his offense productive and using the best tools in his tool box is usually the best way to do it. Samuel seems to be a bigger EB fav and maybe Howell's too.

Jahan's efficiency is terrible right now. I don't like the routes he is running but I know I know anytime a ball hits a receivers body part its expected to be a catch even if its 2 yards behind them at 80 mph and the WR re-contorts himself to get a finger on it. For decades we always saw the QB getting a pass on crappy throws with little chance of being caught but it seems to have waned some in recent years. Aikmen voice "that throw could have been a little better".  His confidence is probably shot and getting teams work isn't going to do much to help, unless holding for FGs is a method Danny Smith would preach to help a WR fix his hands aka mental block.

Fake FG in 3, 2, 1...

Edited by RandyHolt

On 10/19/2023 at 6:51 AM, Dan T. said:

The clip shows him working as a holder for field goals. 

Maybe he’ll be the emergency backup in case Tress gets hurt. 

Somebody's gotta be the emergency holder.  This probably wouldn't be noteworthy at all had they not picked the guy that's struggling mightily right now. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Somebody's gotta be the emergency holder.  This probably wouldn't be noteworthy at all had they not picked the guy that's struggling mightily right now. 

Is this a good way to get his mind on catching the ball in another aspect? Trusting his hands?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just think, we had another trade back option during this draft. Somewhere in the 20s, which means we could have moved back and grabbed Tyler Lindenbalm or Tyler Smith in the 1rst.

In the second, we could have grabbed a better complementary WR to Terry like Methcie, Pickens or Pierce and probably had another 3rd or 4rth to grab one of the many LBers or DBs.

The trade back might be the best draft day move we've made in a very long time, but missing the second move back was a huge miss.

• Like 3

On 10/21/2023 at 9:10 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Just think, we had another trade back option during this draft. Somewhere in the 20s, which means we could have moved back and grabbed Tyler Lindenbalm or Tyler Smith in the 1rst.

In the second, we could have grabbed a better complementary WR to Terry like Methcie, Pickens or Pierce and probably had another 3rd or 4rth to grab one of the many LBers or DBs.

The trade back might be the best draft day move we've made in a very long time, but missing the second move back was a huge miss.

I loved Metchie as a prospect but I've never heard of a player coming back from something as serious as Leukemia before.  We're probably going to be better off with Jahan.  You're speaking my language with Linderbaum though.  Probably my favorite OC prospect I've ever watched.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I loved Metchie as a prospect but I've never heard of a player coming back from something as serious as Leukemia before.  We're probably going to be better off with Jahan.  You're speaking my language with Linderbaum though.  Probably my favorite OC prospect I've ever watched.

James Conner, right?