Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

PCS

• 2 weeks later...

Final update.  I was going to say that this would end here since only some of the rookies would get playoff stats, but as it turns out, none of them are on teams that made the playoffs.

Jahan Dotson - 35 catches for 523 yards, 7 TD's.  All in all, I'm really impressed with Dotson.  Had he remained healthy, his stat line projects to about 50 catches for 750 yards, and 10 TD's.  We'd have been ecstatic about that and he would have been in the offensive rookie of the year conversation.

He was well worth the pick, especially when we traded down and still got him.  I went to the 2022 NFL draft and attempted to follow what all happened in the aftermath of the trade down, and this was the best I could do because there was a ton of moving around.  Essentially, we were missing a 3rd rounder this year because of the Wentz trade.  A 3rd rounder was one of the picks we got from NO to move down, which turned into Brian Robinson.  I'll take the combo of Dotson and Robinson over any other rookie WR on the board, no questions.  The other pick was harder to follow due to multiple trades back and other swaps, though Sam Howell and Cole Turner eventually resulted.  I'm aware we could have had Howell at many points so I won't count that.  Essentially, we traded down from 11 to 16, got Dotson instead of Olave, and got Brian Robinson for our trouble.  I'll do that trade every day of the week and I look forward to the two of them for the next several seasons.

*Other receivers people wanted:

Chris Olave - 72 catches for 1,042 yards, 4 TD.  Definitely had a better stat line than Dotson even though he didn't find the end zone as much.  Stayed relatively healthy.  Had QB's who have arm talent but are pretty inconsistent.

Garrett Wilson - 83 catches for 1,103 yards, 4 TD's.  Wilson would be my pick for offensive rookie of the year.  Besides stats, I tend to look at the help someone had.  Though they spent time hurt, Olave does have other very good receivers on his team and New Orleans has a good running back.  The New York Jets are a crap sandwich.  They ended the year with someone named Zonovan at RB, Zach Wilson appears to be a disaster, Mike Brown sounds like a create-a-player, and the other WRs are castoffs.  For Wilson to be able to put up the stat line that he did surrounded by the garbage he had helping him is a minor miracle.  There are a couple RBs (Etienne and Kenneth Walker) who put up good stats but I'm not sure if Etienne counts or not.  Regardless, Walker has help at the other skill positions in Seattle.  Wilson was a diamond among ****.  Also gets extra credit for staying healthy and playing all 17 games.

Drake London - 72 catches for 866 yards, 4 TD.  London came on at the end of the year, he recorded about 50% of his season receiving yards in the last five weeks of the season.  Also played all 17 games.  Shows promise but didn't have the stat line of the two guys above him.  Also, notice the 4 TD's for all of them.  I appreciate Dotson's nose for the end zone even more now.

Treylon Burks - 33 catches for 444 yards, 1 TD.  Played 11 games, minimal stat lines, jury is still out here.

Jameson Williams - 1 Catch for 41 yards, 1 TD.  Man is this a weird stat line.  In addition to Williams' 1 catch (on 9 targets) for 41 yards and a TD, he also has a single rushing attempt for 40 yards and a TD.  The two times he actually had possession of the ball, he scored from 40+.  So I guess that's something positive?  Otherwise, it was mostly a lost season due to injuries and he's something like 4/5 on the Lions depth chart.

• Thanks 1

I loved Olave going into the draft and turned out to be right about him, BUT I'll take the trade everytime. I don't think there is that much drop off between Olave and Dotson if any at all, plus we got Robinson out of it who looks like at the very least a quality starting RB. Value wise we came out ahead.

I admit I hated the trade at the time but Dotson turned out to be better than I thought and getting Robinson out of it as well has made up the value.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I loved Olave going into the draft and turned out to be right about him, BUT I'll take the trade everytime. I don't think there is that much drop off between Olave and Dotson if any at all, plus we got Robinson out of it who looks like at the very least a quality starting RB. Value wise we came out ahead.

I admit I hated the trade at the time but Dotson turned out to be better than I thought and getting Robinson out of it as well has made up the value.

We got Howell too, who has a chance to be a winning lottery ticket.

We could end up majorly regretting the trade down, but right now the jury is out and I still think I'd do it.  But we're going to need for either Dotson to end up being really good or for Howell to pan out, because Olave looks like a future star.

13 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

**** olave’s yards, if it were up to me, I’d name Dotson the OROY because of the 7 TDs

Totally agree. Hopefully my 25/1 pre-season bet is still in play 🤔 He had garbage throwing to him, missed some games and still scored 7 TDs.

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I remember when the trade happened and then virtually a cascade of WRs came off the board in the next 5 or 6 picks. I was so mad 😂. Fortunately we ended up with Dotson who is an outstanding player and value for where he was picked.  Had he not missed a bunch of games with the pulled hammy, I think we’re talking about a potential ROY on offense.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think had Dotson not had an anomalous nose for the end zone as a rookie, he'd be getting the Dyami Brown treatment in termsof perception. As it is, the honeymoon is over.  He hasn't been great. And if Samuel doesn't return next season, we won't be able to afford Dotson disappearing for weeks on end and dropping balls.

I think we saw why Drake London was their top choice coming out. He's the exact guy we need at WR.  Big target, catch radius, strong, reliable hands and a compliment to the smaller, quicker guys.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think had Dotson not had an anomalous nose for the end zone as a rookie, he'd be getting the Dyami Brown treatment in termsof perception. As it is, the honeymoon is over.  He hasn't been great. And if Samuel doesn't return next season, we won't be able to afford Dotson disappearing for weeks on end and dropping balls.

I think we saw why Drake London was their top choice coming out. He's the exact guy we need at WR.  Big target, catch radius, strong, reliable hands and a compliment to the smaller, quicker guys.

I’m at a loss with Dotson. Dude is great and I gather he has the best hands on the team so the drops are inexplicable. 

But I have a lot of faith in him - when I say I’m at a loss I mean with his lack of production this year - Paulsen was super high on him and his route running as exceptional - better than Terry. AND several folks emphasized the connection sam had with him in camp. They strongly believed he would lead the team in receptions even if Terry outpaced him in yards. Add in that his precision route running and understanding of how/when to throttle up/down in breaks fit perfectly in EB’s scheme and it’s just perplexing. 

I feel like we should use him similar to how the bills use diggs if you watched last night. Great on short and intermediate routes and can get yac. 

I’m not even remotely out on him and still elated we got him (admittedly I was confused at the time we took him). But for the life of me I cannot understand the lack of targets/usage and especially the drops. I think he’ll have his games before the year is out. 

Part of what is so shocking to me is the lack of separation our receivers get leading to plenty of sacks. Maybe EB is calling more downfield shots, especially at end of halves when we take a lot of the sacks. But Dotson with his route running is a guy that excels at getting separation and quickly (he did last year, was close to the lead league in that category and just winning repeatedly on routes). It just doesn’t add up so I’m still expecting production sooner than later. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He hasn't been getting open and he drops way too many CRITICAL passes. Right now he's at best a #3 WR in this league. Colossal disappointment. 

WR is a big time need for this team heading into the 2024 off season.

I think this is a big overreaction. He’s going to have his weeks and games where EB is going take advantage of what he brings. He’s got a great skill set and a good head on his shoulders. Patience. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moondog said:

I think this is a big overreaction. He’s going to have his weeks and games where EB is going take advantage of what he brings. He’s got a great skill set and a good head on his shoulders. Patience. 

If he was that good, EB would already be taking advantage of him.

Dotson and Dyami "Kwame" Brown can both be dumped for all I care at this point.

• Thumb down 2

Dotson has to start showing something soon.  He did have the game tying TD against the Eagles, but aside from that his most memorable plays are drops.

I’m sure it was partly the new owner euphoria in August, but that route he ran against Cleveland for the tuddy had me thinking he was going to have a breakout year.  It’s been anything but. 

• Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

If Young is on his last season here, Dotson turns out to be a mediocre WR, and Forbes doesn't turn his game around, then our FO needs to go out with Ron at the end of the season.

They already need to go because of the current state of the oline and general decline in talent for that group since they've been here, imo...

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

If Young is on his last season here, Dotson turns out to be a mediocre WR, and Forbes doesn't turn his game around, then our FO needs to go out with Ron at the end of the season.

Just under those circumstances? lol they need to be gone regardless 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Terry isn't exactly lighting the world on fire himself despite us having an elite level pass happy start under EB. 1 TD and only 5 catches per game:

image.png.0ce068c44ca9216a0a724bdd0abe7e1d.png

Expectations need to be lowered for Jahan in a new offense and not be tethered to his draft status. Good luck with that i know. But Dyami is getting a lot more ice time this year and targets and doing less than Jahan. EB is spreading the ball and even targeting backs... there were limited snaps last week with the short field and TMC clearly ft. in the game plan.

Regardless the route run on the now famous Dotson drop headed out of bounds on that right sideline... that's not one of his wheelhouse routes. That's a tough catch for a right hander and short WR IMO small point but he is not an over the shoulder/sideline receiver IMO - he is more the face the QB working the center of the field drop to the ground basket type of receiver. I'd want that one pumped and let him turn up field and lead him towards the center of the field so he can track it and catch it in the ole bread basket.  Sure he'll use his hand too... Not sure that's all true but that my perception of the routes he thrives running.  I predict EB will get him going next week - like he did with TMC vs the Falcons.

Side note: I HATE when QBs throw it deep but don't lead the WR laterally some so they can track the ball shield the defender etc. Adjust to the grossly over and under thrown ball (gift PI!). Over the shoulder is a much harder catch especially when its coming in hot.

Jahans Game Log:

image.png.8c5d58bcca308272afdbc1c92980c77f.png

Edited by RandyHolt

^^^i tend to agree, over the shoulder grabs are tougher and the ball was a bit overthrown on the drop, but receivers in the league are expected to catch a ball that hits the hands. I’m sure Sam would like the throw back and Dotson would absolutely tell you that’s a ball he has to catch… could still be Sam and his receivers getting on the same page.

• Like 1