Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

PCS

27 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Someone posted a different angle, showing the ball indeed hitting the ground. I'm still furious with Ron for not challenging the Smith " completion. " He says he didn't see it on the screen. I say who cares. If was clearly a very possible incompletion, which is why PHI ran up to the line. Considering it was 4th down, the magnitude alone tells me that you gotta throw the red flag. So disappointing.

If you have that link with the diff angle hook me up pls.

About Ron the worst part was it was right in front of his bench. Players / coaches immediately start signalling incomplete on the replay but to be honest players often do that regardless. That close to Ron, Ron should have seen it with his own eyes or have a trusted assistant right next to him with eagle eyes on the ball for reviews. Credit Philly for rushing to the line putting the pressure square on Ron who panicked and decided to horde timeouts instead.

Edited by RandyHolt

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If you have that link with the diff angle hook me up pls.

About Ron the worst part was it was right in front of his bench. Players / coaches immediately start signalling incomplete on the replay but to be honest players often do that regardless. That close to Ron, Ron should have seen it with his own eyes or have a trust assistant right next to him with eagle eyes. Credit Philly for rushing to the line putting the pressure square on Ron who panicked and decided to horde timeouts instead.

As soon as he saw Philly rushing I'd have thrown the challenge flag. At the very least sure you use a TO but you buy your defense a few minutes to catch their breath and restabilize.

It was too big a moment in the game to just stand there and do nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

I found a heat map of the all ****ty routes EB called in week 7, the week that Jahan took the fall for. I hope this helps explain why I was more pissed at EB than Jahan. Only 2 passes all day 10+ yards to the center of the field?? despite all those failed connections towards the sidelines.

image.jpeg.89dea142165e8b3cd20cde51e3831028.jpeg

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He definitely looks much better working the middle and the seams.

I wanna see him get some screens now.

Me too.

We had one screen play this past week (hope I am not confusing the games) where we had all 5 lineman get out in front for a screen on the right side... it didn't work as the receiver kind of ran into the back of a blocker/it looked disorganized but the announcer said "I have never seen all 5 OL out in front like that!"  Was that our game?? If not steal that play and try it.

EBs play calling was just SO much better this past week. Like night and day. Howells week 7 heat map is ugly. Sure the giants blitzing may have had a big say in inefficient sideline routes but I think an OC has to take a deep shot early in games - preferably to the center of the field. Grossly overthrow it if needed, or loft it away if the pass rush gets there.  EBs most often deep ball seems like a Dyami fly down the sideline.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

EBs most often deep ball seems like a Dyami fly down the sideline.

I can't stand throwing to Brown. The guy has not made one play in 3 years here. Every throw to him is a wasted play. I'd rather Crowder get those snaps, but I'd basically make it a rule to never throw to Brown unless he's wide open.

In other words I'd never actually scheme anything up for him and just hope his straight line speed can occasionally catch a busted coverage.

• Like 4

I guess he’s playing a little bit better, but dude definitely has a future as a coach with the way he was able to break down film and determine that he was a better receiver when he didn’t drop passes. Maybe we should have him go back and look at some of Wiley‘s and Forbes’s film from college and see if he can help them out too. “You were better when you didn’t whiff on blocks and you were better when you covered people.” 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I guess he’s playing a little bit better, but dude definitely has a future as a coach with the way he was able to break down film and determine that he was a better receiver when he didn’t drop passes. Maybe we should have him go back and look at some of Wiley‘s and Forbes’s film from college and see if he can help them out too. “You were better when you didn’t whiff on blocks and you were better when you covered people.” 

I'm a better husband when I don't cheat on my wife.

(I've never cheated on my wife. But that's basically what Dotson was saying).

Still, he played well today. Still had another drop though. And that one handed catch attempt was terrible. 

I wanna see him make some tough catches. Right now he's a solid #2 but you draft a guy with a mid 1st rounder you want a guy who can compete to be a #1.

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Dotson had 2 drops from what I remember and read. I don't know how we can say any receiver with 2 drops to go with 4 catches played well.  

His catches were pretty big ones including the game tying bomb TD. 

But you are right the drops are unacceptable.

On 10/31/2023 at 12:26 PM, Warhead36 said:

I can't stand throwing to Brown. The guy has not made one play in 3 years here. Every throw to him is a wasted play. I'd rather Crowder get those snaps, but I'd basically make it a rule to never throw to Brown unless he's wide open.

In other words I'd never actually scheme anything up for him and just hope his straight line speed can occasionally catch a busted coverage.

Brown had two catches against NE but I agree with you regarding the contested catches.  The 30 year-old free agent Jamison Crowder has been much more productive than Brown and has earned his special teams and ancillary WR roles.  If Brown can't step up his production, it's time to move on after the end of the season. I don't see any reason to pay Samuels' next contract.  Pringle is a bigger target but seems to be just a guy.  I believe Dotson is good and should continue to improve.  I'd like a better version of Pringle (big WR versus the two Smurfs) but perhaps a better TE would fit that role.  All-in-all the team has a good WR group.         

Just now, PlayAction said:

Brown had two catches against NE but I agree with you regarding the contested catches.  The 30 year-old free agent Jamison Crowder has been much more productive than Brown and has earned his special teams and ancillary WR roles.  If Brown can't step up his production, it's time to move on after the end of the season. I don't see any reason to pay Samuels' next contract.  Pringle is a bigger target but seems to be just a guy.  I believe Dotson is good and should continue to improve.  I'd like a better version of Pringle (big WR versus the two Smurfs) but perhaps a better TE would fit that role.  All-in-all the team has a good WR group.         

We don't have that A1 alpha WR. McLaurin is a good #1 but rarely if ever just takes over a game. Dotson at this point is a good #2. But we don't have that omega x factor. 

Its like the Bengals when they had Higgins and Boyd, but then drafted Jamar Chase. Unfortunately we won't be bad enough to draft a Harrison jr or Keon Coleman. 

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

His catches were pretty big ones including the game tying bomb TD. 

But you are right the drops are unacceptable.

I was so close to going into sports psychology as a career once upon a time. Cases like Jahan are what fascinates me. Jahan had some of the best natural hands I'd ever seen both in college and the NFL. 

I was open to the possibility of him struggling this year but stone hands wasn't the struggle I considered.  No way he lost his great hands, the problem has to be between his ears. As to what the disfunction is who knows. 

Dotson is the new 50/50.  TM is the only WR that is playing well enough to be considered in the group that is "good", the others are simply average WRs by NFL standards. I too thought this group was good not great. I don't see how we can say today this is a good group of WRs.  Now I'm not giving up on Dotson, he certainly has upside, but these drops simply can not continue.  

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

Dotson is the new 50/50.  TM is the only WR that is playing well enough to be considered in the group that is "good", the others are simply average WRs by NFL standards. I too thought this group was good not great. I don't see how we can say today this is a good group of WRs.  Now I'm not giving up on Dotson, he certainly has upside, but these drops simply can not continue.  

Terry has dropped balls too. He's not a physically imposing receiver. Great speed and route running but gets outmuscled too often. Still love the guy but he has had disappointing moments as well(but the good still outweights the bad big time).

I see other teams with huge imposing receivers that make amazing bail out catches. Give me one of those.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Terry has dropped balls too. He's not a physically imposing receiver. Great speed and route running but gets outmuscled too often. Still love the guy but he has had disappointing moments as well(but the good still outweights the bad big time).

I see other teams with huge imposing receivers that make amazing bail out catches. Give me one of those.

Give me a real TE in this draft that can be the go to possession guy and option in the red zone.. 

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I doubt that an A1 Alpha receiver is in the cards.  Too many needs and a real TE may be a higher priority than the WR.  

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 10:29 AM, PlayAction said:

I doubt that an A1 Alpha receiver is in the cards.  Too many needs and a real TE may be a higher priority than the WR.  

I don't think you need one if they keep this style of WCO. Maybe an elite TE. 

Hopefully we see it in the back half of this year, but Terry and Jahan can carve up teams with short routes. We're starting to see it. But dominating the middle with an elite TE frees up the slants that go yard. 

• Like 1

We have seen Howell throw a few deep shots to Logan. Not as much to the middle of the field off the top of my head.

With TMC and Dotson finally getting fed like a 1 and 2 in our revamped offense the past few weeks... I think tomorrow Seattle will be ready for those 2 troublemakers, and thus we'll see EB dial up to Logan Thomas a bit more like earlier in the year.

On that skinny post TD to Jahan, TMC was right there and his man had a better play on the ball IRRC. Terry looks like he fell on purpose?? to try to pull his defender back realized he ran the wrong route, or tripped? Did anyone ever hear what happened there.. but hot damn that was the perfect deep ball it just landed so softly right into his hands. Nice to see one that didn't glance off his fingertips and tag him with a drop.

Edited by RandyHolt

26 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

On that skinny post TD to Jahan, TMC was right there and his man had a better play on the ball IRRC. Terry looks like he fell on purpose?? to try to pull his defender back realized he ran the wrong route, or tripped? Did anyone ever hear what happened there.. but hot damn that was the perfect deep ball it just landed so softly right into his hands. Nice to see one that didn't glance off his fingertips and tag him with a drop.

I seriously think Terry ran the wrong route.  I think he was supposed to run either a go route down the sideline or cut the route off to draw the safety up.  He ended up running a post also and that just doesn’t seem right.  

Clearly Howell knew Dotson was supposed to be there because that’s where the ball went.  

I think Terry made a mistake.  It didn’t cost them anything but I think he wasn’t supposed to be there. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

It could be either or as far as who ran the wrong route. 

If Jahan's defender doesn't get in Terry's way, he probably has a shot at that. I generally have more faith in Terry knowing the O, but who knows?

Both need to get better as the season goes on. Very similar to the Allen (Terry) with the injured start and Payne (Dotson) where there is a lack of consistency and focus. 

• Like 1

Looked like Terry ran the wrong route in real time to me, because you wouldn't intentionally space your concepts like that.  Kind of feels like an adjustment from Terry where he thought the ball was going to him and didn't realize Jahan was there and that he was the target so he drifted back into the middle of the field.

We've had spacing trouble for years, but it's way down compared to what it was like under Scott Turner.  Bieniemy has far better concept design and he has the receivers focusing on their details better.

38 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

It could be either or as far as who ran the wrong route. 

If Jahan's defender doesn't get in Terry's way, he probably has a shot at that. I generally have more faith in Terry knowing the O, but who knows?

Both need to get better as the season goes on. Very similar to the Allen (Terry) with the injured start and Payne (Dotson) where there is a lack of consistency and focus. 

Well, the pass was thrown to Dotson so I give him the benefit of the doubt he was where he was supposed to be.  

If Terry runs a sideline route or breaks the route off, the second defender might not even be in the screen.  

It looks like they both read the safety and had the same idea.  

This is the type of thing which happens when everyone is in a new offense.  The Reid offense is massively wordy and very complex.  It’s tough to pick up on immediately and it takes some time.  

But once it’s clicking, I mean, the success in Philly and KC is almost unparalleled, Pederson runs the same offense, as do a few other Reid disciples. It’s a great offense, but it takes some time to get worked out.  

Walsh said it took 3 years to fully grasp the WCO.  Maybe it’s quicker now but we’re running a variant of it.